Sign in to follow this  
mich40

No Tour 'till 2015 True Or No, Deny Or Spill Truth / Hoping This Is Not True [Merged]

It may have been 6 yrs between albums, but they've only been actively working on the new album since the end of the tour in 2011.  They always seem to wait until they get off the road, spend some time with their families, and on vacation; then they go back into the studio.  It was nearly two full years after the Elevation tour ended, before they even started recording "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb".  Taking this kind of time is nothing new. Better to take the time to get it right, than to have another "Pop", eh?

What is wrong with Pop?

'Thank you to the visionaries in this room. You all know that a vision without a promise is just a fantasy and we're not interested in that.' Bono

A vision full of empty promises is just a fantasy too. 

My daughter has been trying to tell me that they are "has beens" for 3 of the last 5 years (since NLOTH), but I haven't wanted to believe it.  Seems she may be right.

Edited by robb holt

First we have Edge saying U2 has 30 songs and 5 or 6 completed and mixed.  Then we have Bono saying they are working on 50 songs and two albums.  So, what is going on with the news today that no U2 album until 2015?  Many possiblitues:  1) U2 has decided to finish two records before going on tour, 2)  U2 wants to lower expectations, or 3) U2 can't find "the magic."  I'm leaning towards 1) and 2).  Let's be clear, "the magic" is realy U2 refering to "God walking through the room."  The truth is God is always in the room.  God never leaves us nor foresakes us.  Maybe the question is when will U2 walk through the room?  But, I believe they are both in the room and great things are happening dispite the negative news. I will not pile.

I chose to be patient and hopeful.  "Time leaves us pollished stones."  Praying for U2.

I never had a good feeling about Danger Mouse as producer. Don't think he's the right man in the right place.

Maybe the problem is U2 and not the producer. 

Maybe Both !!!

I never had a good feeling about Danger Mouse as producer. Don't think he's the right man in the right place.

Lanois did say if he were to work on another U2 album, it would kill him. 

I guess they still haven't found what they are looking for.

I say "Kill" Lanois !!! Dirty Mouse and Eppenotworthany aren't gonna do the trick...

Ouch!  A quote from Dangermouse:

As for the fate of his work on the highly anticipated U2 album, Burton claims to not have a clue despite the Irish band already releasing two songs from their sessions with him, the Golden Globe-winning and Oscar-nominated Ordinary Love and the single Invisible.

"I don't really know - I just know it's not done," he said.

But he's still the producer?

"I don't know. I'm working on Bells right now I have no idea what they¹re doing. I've been working on it for YEARS but I'm sure they're still working on the record."

from here: http://www.atu2.com/news/billboard-no-u2-album-or-tour-until-2015.html

I would be so pissed if I were him. The not knowing part has got to be completely infuriating. 

I know I was one of the ones who said I don't mind waiting but 2015 is extreme I think. I think it is a mistake for them to wait so long. They had such a nice press build up with the release of their two songs, and them being largely well received. I hope they don't over think things and go in and rip it all apart. I was really looking forward to hearing an album from them and Dangermouse as producer. 

Everything you know is wrong..... The best lying band in the world . Welcome to the world of irrelevance. Coldplay is the biggest band in the world today, it's official. If they release in 2015 after all those lies, they are really wankers. I had been a fan of U2 for thirty years. That's definately it.

true

mac speaketh sense

As for the fate of his work on the highly anticipated U2 album, Burton claims to not have a clue despite the Irish band already releasing two songs from their sessions with him, the Golden Globe-winning and Oscar-nominated Ordinary Love and the single Invisible.

"I don't know. I'm working on Bells right now I have no idea what they¹re doing. I've been working on it for YEARS but I'm sure they're still working on the record."

from here: http://www.atu2.com/news/billboard-no-u2-album-or-tour-until-2015.html

I would be so pissed if I were him. The not knowing part has got to be completely infuriating. 

I know I was one of the ones who said I don't mind waiting but 2015 is extreme I think. I think it is a mistake for them to wait so long. They had such a nice press build up with the release of their two songs, and them being largely well received. I hope they don't over think things and go in and rip it all apart. I was really looking forward to hearing an album from them and Dangermouse as producer. 

Rick rubin anyone?

Rick rubin anyone?

That's right... they did that to him also

U2 was relevant and showed they could be w/ Invisible but this is ludicrous. It doesn't take six years to do a new album. The band should be ashamed of themselves. The hubris and inefficiency is beyond the pale. I'vel oved them for years and seen them nine times but I'm tired of being jerked around.

i actually sort of feel sorry for the band tonight. They seem to certainly be second guessing them self left and right. Simply put, if it takes you almost 5 years to write and record 10 songs, it is time to hang it up. and regardless of what they release in 2015, i doubt it can survive the expectations placed upon it. I think the band should seriously consider going out and playing live ,even if only a small tour, and see if it can straighten their heads out and re-ignite something that has clearly gone out. as it stands, i dont see an album ever making it to the light of day. Just have some dignity. 

Edited by sodasullivan9

This is beyond disappointing. If they really crave relevance they certainly won't get it by waiting 5+ years between albums. At the end of the day the diehards like us are the ones that truly care and pay attention. I'm willing to bet a good portion of the people who downloaded "Invisible" aren't even listening anymore; they've moved on to Lady Gaga or whatever. The teenagers and pop crowd don't care about anything other than the flavor of the month at this point and no artist is going to be able to capture the public's attention for long.

The major fan base of hardcore fans like ourselves are sadly the last people the band seems interested in, which is a shame.

Edited by october269

U2 is over... That's What I think... too much money on theirs Heads... or maybe their real ambition was to Make money and "think they are the best band in the world" ... I'm a Composer, Producer etc.. I have made 1,357 new songs in 3 years, play the drums, guitar, bass, piano, sing, record, produce, etc HAHA,, "almost a record guinness" jaja . . . of course not all of the 1,357 new songs are Good or Great "BUT" I have 150 Amazing songs and I am making 10 great albums, One at the time, so ?!?! I don't undestand What's going on with U2,, they say this summer, we only have 7 finished etc,, in 5 YEARS ???? just 7 songs FINISHED ?? ... unbelievable .. . maybe they are just getting OLD,, and TIRED,,, it is normal...

so maybe they should Take a Vacatio for 10 years... instead of saying "this or that" They should be Very insecure about the songs they Have,,,

and in My Opinion,,, They cannot Make a "MASTER PIEACE" without "Brian eno" .................. end of the story.

Everything you know is wrong..... The best lying band in the world . Welcome to the world of irrelevance. Coldplay is the biggest band in the world today, it's official. If they release in 2015 after all those lies, they are really wankers. I had been a fan of U2 for thirty years. That's definately it.

Coldplay can't touch U2.

Wake up man! Coldplay did just touch U2.  They release an album. U2 doesn't. Coldplay just took over the name 'biggest band in the world today'.

Rick rubin anyone?

I agree, bring Rick Rubin in !

U2 is over... That's What I think... too much money on theirs Heads... or maybe their real ambition was to Make money and "think they are the best band in the world" ... I'm a Composer, Producer etc.. I have made 1,357 new songs in 3 years, play the drums, guitar, bass, piano, sing, record, produce, etc HAHA,, "almost a record guinness" jaja . . . of course not all of the 1,357 new songs are Good or Great "BUT" I have 150 Amazing songs and I am making 10 great albums, One at the time, so ?!?! I don't undestand What's going on with U2,, they say this summer, we only have 7 finished etc,, in 5 YEARS ???? just 7 songs FINISHED ?? ... unbelievable .. . maybe they are just getting OLD,, and TIRED,,, it is normal...

so maybe they should Take a Vacatio for 10 years... instead of saying "this or that" They should be Very insecure about the songs they Have,,,

and in My Opinion,,, They cannot Make a "MASTER PIEACE" without "Brian eno" .................. end of the story.

Bring Eno, Lanois and Rick Rubin into the game...a slap across the face from these Veterans may bring U2 with their feet on the ground before it's too late and a great earthquake happens and the ground beneath their feet swallows them forever (Salman Rushdie hint!) !!!

I'm Curious about what happened with those Songs they Recorded with Rick in 2006 before going to Fez with Eno & Lanois ... Edge said they will get back to them !

Edited by pain_18_

Coldplay can't touch U2.

Wake up man! Coldplay did just touch U2.  They release an album. U2 doesn't. Coldplay just took over the name 'biggest band in the world today'.

It is you that needs to wake up man, if you think U2 are running away from a bland boring band like Coldplay. They haven't even released their "Joshua Tree" album yet. Something they can only dream of.

If this is true, and lets face it after 5 years of the bullshit we have had to put up with who wouldnt believe it, then I am very disappointed to say the least. I would rather they either shut up, pissed off and finished at least one of the four albums we have been teased with in the last 5 years, with any of the various muses they are hiring, or just admitted they can't manage to finish an album because they don't know what they are looking for any more. Perhaps if they stop trying to be relevant and happening then they might find their way again to make the music we love.

Ordinary love is a highpoint that had us all anticipating a return to form, I do not want an album full of invisibles which was tepid, bland pop with a catchy hook but no real substance as music.

I love U2's quieter, more contemplative moments as much as desire etc but this didnt inspire any excitement about what is to come.

I am an old frazzled fan from the late 70's and so I am used to Bono teasers and delays but this time they have stretched our patience from the "songs of Ascent" ideas we got in 2009 through now to this current media storm supporting a supposedly upcoming tour and album which will die away and be harder for them to wind up again when people feel like they were had this time round. All in all I think it just piles more and more pressure on any release they do make instead of having something released before now to let them mess about with more new songs to their hearts content. I really can't believe the stuff I am hearing that this was just a ploy to get us to renew memberships, things are bad but not that bad. I am confident they can still produce a good album but am worried maybe not a great one any more and am not sure they believe they have a great one in them at this point.

I sent the following email to the official U2 Information Service in Dublin (info@numb.ie) last night (UK time). I'll let everyone know if I get a reply…

"Hi there,

Just wondering if the band read any of the fan forums on the internet at all? If they don't, they should take a look at the forum on @u2.com (the best 1 out there by the way) and the confusion / anger / upset about the Billboard article published today saying that the new album has been delayed again until 2015.

After all the recent quotes from the band members hinting that an album and tour announcement is imminent (including Bono saying only last week that there are 2 albums nearly ready), plus the increased activity with the releases of Ordinary Love and Invisible, it is indeed very sad if the guys now feel the need to hire yet more producers to try and find the magic to enable them to finish 12 songs for an album.

Fans appreciate that the band only want to release something when they are happy with it - and we all know that they are perfectionists (which is why we've had 35+ years of brilliant music and tours already) - but then they should really just keep quiet and stop teasing us. 

Fans want them to stop trying to make pop songs for the kids and instead make ballsy / angry / groundbreaking / experimental music like they used to. No-one expects anything as good as Achtung Baby again (there can't be, as that was a perfect record) but fans want U2 to stop over-producing stuff again and again, and instead just have the guts to release something that's different.

It would be nice if U2 could put out an official statement of some kind, either to say the Billboard article is not true, or to say it is true - in which case they should disappear completely for this year, get their faces out of the music press, stop attending conferences about non-music things (Bono) and go away and finish the album. 

Alternatively, if there really is nothing left in the tank maybe they should call it a day - that will be a terrible day but at least fans would know where things stand.

Someone needs to tell the band that the quickest way to irrelevance is to release nothing at all. 

With kind regards from a dedicated, loyal, but frustrated U2 fan."

I sent the following email to the official U2 Information Service in Dublin (info@numb.ie) last night (UK time). I'll let everyone know if I get a reply…

"Hi there,

Just wondering if the band read any of the fan forums on the internet at all? If they don't, they should take a look at the forum on @u2.com (the best 1 out there by the way) and the confusion / anger / upset about the Billboard article published today saying that the new album has been delayed again until 2015.

After all the recent quotes from the band members hinting that an album and tour announcement is imminent (including Bono saying only last week that there are 2 albums nearly ready), plus the increased activity with the releases of Ordinary Love and Invisible, it is indeed very sad if the guys now feel the need to hire yet more producers to try and find the magic to enable them to finish 12 songs for an album.

Fans appreciate that the band only want to release something when they are happy with it - and we all know that they are perfectionists (which is why we've had 35+ years of brilliant music and tours already) - but then they should really just keep quiet and stop teasing us. 

Fans want them to stop trying to make pop songs for the kids and instead make ballsy / angry / groundbreaking / experimental music like they used to. No-one expects anything as good as Achtung Baby again (there can't be, as that was a perfect record) but fans want U2 to stop over-producing stuff again and again, and instead just have the guts to release something that's different.

It would be nice if U2 could put out an official statement of some kind, either to say the Billboard article is not true, or to say it is true - in which case they should disappear completely for this year, get their faces out of the music press, stop attending conferences about non-music things (Bono) and go away and finish the album. 

Alternatively, if there really is nothing left in the tank maybe they should call it a day - that will be a terrible day but at least fans would know where things stand.

Someone needs to tell the band that the quickest way to irrelevance is to release nothing at all. 

With kind regards from a dedicated, loyal, but frustrated U2 fan."

Nice. Hopefully you will get a reply!