Sign in to follow this  
mich40

No Tour 'till 2015 True Or No, Deny Or Spill Truth / Hoping This Is Not True [Merged]

Good Point, Richard ! Now let's see if there will be a human-answer to this or if you'll get a reply from a Bot...

Edited by pain_18_

I know 6 years is pushing it, but equally, it took Queens of the Stone Age 6 years to bring out ...Like Clockwork, and that was a brilliant album. 

Still, this is really frustrating. It's getting to the point where I don't even care whether or not they release an album anymore, I just want them to tour. Someone, a band member, the manager, the record label, just needs to say something NOW.

I know 6 years is pushing it, but equally, it took Queens of the Stone Age 6 years to bring out ...Like Clockwork, and that was a brilliant album. 

Still, this is really frustrating. It's getting to the point where I don't even care whether or not they release an album anymore, I just want them to tour. Someone, a band member, the manager, the record label, just needs to say something NOW.

TOOL, 8 years and counting....;)

It may have been 6 yrs between albums, but they've only been actively working on the new album since the end of the tour in 2011.  They always seem to wait until they get off the road, spend some time with their families, and on vacation; then they go back into the studio.  It was nearly two full years after the Elevation tour ended, before they even started recording "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb".  Taking this kind of time is nothing new. Better to take the time to get it right, than to have another "Pop", eh?

I will never work out why people have a problem with 'Pop' And I am fed up to the back teeth with people making excuses for the band taking so long to release an album.They are musicians - musicians make music.Simple.

i actually sort of feel sorry for the band tonight. They seem to certainly be second guessing them self left and right. Simply put, if it takes you almost 5 years to write and record 10 songs, it is time to hang it up. and regardless of what they release in 2015, i doubt it can survive the expectations placed upon it. I think the band should seriously consider going out and playing live ,even if only a small tour, and see if it can straighten their heads out and re-ignite something that has clearly gone out. as it stands, i dont see an album ever making it to the light of day. Just have some dignity. 

Couldn't agree more.They are always trying to attain the 'biggest band in the world' mantle and that seems to affect the way they produce music.They ditched most of the material from 'No Line...' by the last leg of the 360 tour because 'it wasn't being received well'. It seemed to be received extremely well at all the gigs I was at! The fact is the album didn't sell as well as they hoped so they distance themselves from it.Utter rubbish.Plenty of terrible albums sell by the shed load and,conversely, plenty of stunning albums sell very little (The Velvet Underground & Nico anyone ?). U2 need the attitude that REM had and Radiohead still have.Make music to please themselves and don't worry about the rest.Sadly thats never going to happen.

I sent the following email to the official U2 Information Service in Dublin (info@numb.ie) last night (UK time). I'll let everyone know if I get a reply…

"Hi there,

Just wondering if the band read any of the fan forums on the internet at all? If they don't, they should take a look at the forum on @u2.com (the best 1 out there by the way) and the confusion / anger / upset about the Billboard article published today saying that the new album has been delayed again until 2015.

After all the recent quotes from the band members hinting that an album and tour announcement is imminent (including Bono saying only last week that there are 2 albums nearly ready), plus the increased activity with the releases of Ordinary Love and Invisible, it is indeed very sad if the guys now feel the need to hire yet more producers to try and find the magic to enable them to finish 12 songs for an album.

Fans appreciate that the band only want to release something when they are happy with it - and we all know that they are perfectionists (which is why we've had 35+ years of brilliant music and tours already) - but then they should really just keep quiet and stop teasing us. 

Fans want them to stop trying to make pop songs for the kids and instead make ballsy / angry / groundbreaking / experimental music like they used to. No-one expects anything as good as Achtung Baby again (there can't be, as that was a perfect record) but fans want U2 to stop over-producing stuff again and again, and instead just have the guts to release something that's different.

It would be nice if U2 could put out an official statement of some kind, either to say the Billboard article is not true, or to say it is true - in which case they should disappear completely for this year, get their faces out of the music press, stop attending conferences about non-music things (Bono) and go away and finish the album. 

Alternatively, if there really is nothing left in the tank maybe they should call it a day - that will be a terrible day but at least fans would know where things stand.

Someone needs to tell the band that the quickest way to irrelevance is to release nothing at all. 

With kind regards from a dedicated, loyal, but frustrated U2 fan."

You read my mind ! Well said.

An honest statement from the band or the management is necessary now, no 3rd party statement. They owe us nothing, but they should treat and communicate to us fair. Thats not professional and loyal to the fans.

Edited by JoergZdarsky

True but during that 6 years Josh Homme almost died, suffered from severe depression and considered quitting the music business. That kind of gives him an excuse for the lengthy delay.

Good point, Oisin ! That makes "...Like ClockWork" even more valuable, Such a great Album !!!

An honest statement from the band or the management is necessary now, no 3rd party statement. They owe us nothing, but they should treat and communicate to us fair. Thats not professional and loyal to the fans.

True!

I sent the following email to the official U2 Information Service in Dublin (info@numb.ie) last night (UK time). I'll let everyone know if I get a reply…

"Hi there,

Just wondering if the band read any of the fan forums on the internet at all? If they don't, they should take a look at the forum on @u2.com (the best 1 out there by the way) and the confusion / anger / upset about the Billboard article published today saying that the new album has been delayed again until 2015.

After all the recent quotes from the band members hinting that an album and tour announcement is imminent (including Bono saying only last week that there are 2 albums nearly ready), plus the increased activity with the releases of Ordinary Love and Invisible, it is indeed very sad if the guys now feel the need to hire yet more producers to try and find the magic to enable them to finish 12 songs for an album.

Fans appreciate that the band only want to release something when they are happy with it - and we all know that they are perfectionists (which is why we've had 35+ years of brilliant music and tours already) - but then they should really just keep quiet and stop teasing us. 

Fans want them to stop trying to make pop songs for the kids and instead make ballsy / angry / groundbreaking / experimental music like they used to. No-one expects anything as good as Achtung Baby again (there can't be, as that was a perfect record) but fans want U2 to stop over-producing stuff again and again, and instead just have the guts to release something that's different.

It would be nice if U2 could put out an official statement of some kind, either to say the Billboard article is not true, or to say it is true - in which case they should disappear completely for this year, get their faces out of the music press, stop attending conferences about non-music things (Bono) and go away and finish the album. 

Alternatively, if there really is nothing left in the tank maybe they should call it a day - that will be a terrible day but at least fans would know where things stand.

Someone needs to tell the band that the quickest way to irrelevance is to release nothing at all. 

With kind regards from a dedicated, loyal, but frustrated U2 fan."

Very good letter! I think this is what all of us think.

Someone once said (on 1st sept, 2001): "Communication...communication...talk to each other."

Maybe that's a good idea to do? This feels a bit one-way...

I think they are over-thinking and being too cautious.  They had some very good/great new songs (North Star, Every Breaking Wave, Return of the Stingray Guitar, Invisible, updated version of Mercy, etc).  They could easily make an album that they could tour with.  In some ways seeing them live in the near future is more important to me than an over-produced new album. 

I like the new songs, but if I had to provide feedback to U2 I would tell them to have Edge and the band have a stronger influence and presence on more of the songs (like Boy/October/War).  The news songs sound like pure Bono, almost Bono solo, with the band just provided background highlights.  The best U2 songs involve all 4 members equally.

If the new music isn't ready, I'd rather U2 take their time and finish it properly rather than rush it out.  They made that mistake with "Pop", when they had to finish the album before they felt it was ready because the tour was already scheduled.  While "Pop" is good (and underrated), it could have been better if they continued to work on it.

Two quotes from The Beatles come to mind.  "Don't let me down."  At this moment they are.  The other one from The Ballad of John & Yoko, "The way things are going, they're going to crucify me."  This one should be going through there minds.  I get the time frame 2009 NLOTH, toured till 2011.  From '11 till now working on the new album.  It is frustrating & want to give up but I don't want to give up on a band that I have been listening to since I have been 10. I get it, you want it to be great. Understood.  Over thinking it or any situation is going to kill you.  You have to rely on instinct. Sometimes it is hard but you have to.  

I agree with most that has been written. To me, it has taken too long and frankly unfair on fans waiting for the new music. Look at Springsteen .... Releases music, does tours, releases more music,does more tours. He gets on with it. There was a real good vibe about the band in the past couple of months - I just hope it wasn't for the Oscars!!!! The Fallon performance was amazing and I could feel are great buzz. And now this..... We have heard not just rumours but real words.....and now this. At a minimum, we need to know the current state of play. Bono talks about thanking fans for the great life they have.....but with that comes responsibility. We need to know what's happening. Larry doesn't say much but when he does, it's straight to the point and is generally a necessary intervention. Yet all we have now is the RS article which is I would tend to believe. Look at what Beyoncé did recently, and now Coldplay. Relevance and confidence are key. The band REALLY seem to be struggling with both. Bono remains at the forefront of RED etc and I have no doubt that he sees this as being for the greater good. He is correct but his focus and activities are OUR and MUSICs loss. If that where he sees the future, let's call it as it is and not raise my expectations. The new album is now clearly a vision over visibility.

Well, I am disappointed at the moment, sure they can do as they feel they should, for me I think it' s time to move on, I hope I'll see you again if the band decides to release an album, but for now enough is enough.

I think U2 are overthinking things and worrying for the wrong reasons. They thought that because NLOTH didn't sell so well it meant they had to drop half the songs from the setlist, even though I and a lot of other fans absolutely loved the album. They thought their performance at Glastonbury was a failure even though the reaction on this site was massive. And now they've spent the last 6 years stopping and starting with the new album, and now they feel like they have to rethink everything AGAIN even though Invisible was really well-received on here (not by everyone, obviously, but by a large number of people). I think they definitely need to overthink things less, and I do agree that we need an official, non-third party statement.

I think U2 are overthinking things and worrying for the wrong reasons. They thought that because NLOTH didn't sell so well it meant they had to drop half the songs from the setlist, even though I and a lot of other fans absolutely loved the album. They thought their performance at Glastonbury was a failure even though the reaction on this site was massive. And now they've spent the last 6 years stopping and starting with the new album, and now they feel like they have to rethink everything AGAIN even though Invisible was really well-received on here (not by everyone, obviously, but by a large number of people). I think they definitely need to overthink things less, and I do agree that we need an official, non-third party statement.

Totally agree. It's like 3 million fans can love it and yet if one critic trashes it they assume it's a failure. I've always loved this band and been proud of them; this is the first time I feel embarrassed and angry about their lack of commitment. 

Love your avatar, by the way. I'm a big fan of The Young Ones!

Agreed... They seem to put the most pressure on themselves. I'm not sure what's with them being so hard on themselves. I think it would do them some good to get out of their own heads and concentrate on creating music they are proud of rather than trying to please their critics. I'm not angry with them at all - more time to save up for the tour (whenever that may be...). Just confused more than anything. I thought they had a nice start & press build up going there. But hey, what do I know. I don't think they owe us a statement but the if the Billboard article is total bs then it definitely wouldn't hurt for one of them to say so.

Trying to be patient, but you (U2) must realize your loyal fans need to hear OFFICIAL word from the band/Guy Oseary/LiveNation - SOMEONE who speaks for the band! The band has been out and about quite a bit lately and it was quite fun to see this. NOW there is silence in the wake of very provocative news via the Billboard article? This is completely unacceptable.

PLEASE RESPOND!!!

Edited by mdmomof7

Where the heck is Guy Oseary?! Is he still working for U2? :huh: If so, it might be a wise move to release some sort of statement before this gets completely out of control.

Edited by jenny1980

Good point, Oisin ! That makes "...Like ClockWork" even more valuable, Such a great Album !!!

Brilliant album.One of the best of 2013.

Brilliant album.One of the best of 2013.

Yep, a pleasant surprise from QotSA, it made 2013 a whole lot better year !

Where the heck is Guy Oseary?! Is he still working for U2? :huh: If so, it might be a wise move to release some sort of statement before this gets completely out of control.

Guy Oseary is U2's new manager.