Sign in to follow this  
mich40

No Tour 'till 2015 True Or No, Deny Or Spill Truth / Hoping This Is Not True [Merged]

It may have been 6 yrs between albums, but they've only been actively working on the new album since the end of the tour in 2011.  They always seem to wait until they get off the road, spend some time with their families, and on vacation; then they go back into the studio.  It was nearly two full years after the Elevation tour ended, before they even started recording "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb".  Taking this kind of time is nothing new. Better to take the time to get it right, than to have another "Pop", eh?

I will never work out why people have a problem with 'Pop' And I am fed up to the back teeth with people making excuses for the band taking so long to release an album.They are musicians - musicians make music.Simple.

I like 'Pop' but I think the comment had to do with the fact that they planned the tour dates before they were finished with the album, I saw them in Dallas on that tour and it disappointed a lot of my friends because they weren't at the top of their game. By the end of that tour they were fantastic, live versions of 'The Last Night On Earth' and 'Please' or 'Discotheque/If You Wear that Velvet Dress' were all great by the time they'd been on the road for a while but the beginning of the tour was pretty abysmal. 

I don't mind waiting for a new album but I do think the band needs to lighten up a bit about trying to stay at the top of the charts or remaining relevant.  Perhaps Bono should listen to his own lyrics: "If you hold onto something so tight, you've already lost it".  I remember reading an interview with Daniel Lanois a few years ago and he said that there was a beautiful piece of music left off of the 'No Line' album because the band didn't think it would be a good single. They didn't release it as a B-side, I'm still curious about hearing it. Forget about making singles, just make a great album like 'The Unforgettable Fire'. That album wasn't full of pop hits but it is still one of my favorites.  When it gets too contrived or too polished, it gets boring. Give us some unconventional sounding songs, something like Dylan would do where the lyrics flow from beginning to end without necessarily repeating anything. That guy is in his 70s and still recording fantastic new music.

Forget about making singles, just make a great album like 'The Unforgettable Fire'. That album wasn't full of pop hits but it is still one of my favorites.  When it gets too contrived or too polished, it gets boring.

but isn't always good for a band to diversify their talents and actually prove that they can write and play **different** kinds of music?  If they wrote the same types of songs on each album, then it will be boring, at least in my opinion.  For example, I was  a HUGE HUGE Bon Jovi fan (keyword, **was**).  I was 12  when I first heard Bad Name and Prayer and had not been exposed to any other kind of music - In fact it was my sis who got me to like them (we shared a bedroom).  At that point in our lives the only music my sis and I knew were songs on the radio and Sinatra or whoever else my dad played down in our basement. ** see below.  He is a retired high school music teacher and had his own wedding band on the weekends  :-)

But getting back to Bon Jovi..... However, it was on their next album New Jersey that Richie had played the mandolin or the acoustic guitar as a short intro, and I LOVED how it sounded.   This is what made me like him for his musical talent and not his cute smile or dimples.   Please listen and enjoy.

**edited to say my parents never had cable tv so we couldn't watch music videos

Edited by chris1043

I don't mind waiting for a new album but I do think the band needs to lighten up a bit about trying to stay at the top of the charts or remaining relevant.  Perhaps Bono should listen to his own lyrics: "If you hold onto something so tight, you've already lost it".  I remember reading an interview with Daniel Lanois a few years ago and he said that there was a beautiful piece of music left off of the 'No Line' album because the band didn't think it would be a good single. They didn't release it as a B-side, I'm still curious about hearing it. Forget about making singles, just make a great album like 'The Unforgettable Fire'. That album wasn't full of pop hits but it is still one of my favorites.  When it gets too contrived or too polished, it gets boring. Give us some unconventional sounding songs, something like Dylan would do where the lyrics flow from beginning to end without necessarily repeating anything. That guy is in his 70s and still recording fantastic new music.

I'd love to hear that piece of music left off the Horizon Sessions !!!!!

When is the next tour? 

:P

How about a special concert for zootopians? 

Ahhhh it seems my comment disappeared lol ;)it's worrying all this talk i must admit :/ i have been a fan since 'The Joshua Tree' and since i have loved every album !!!

I was looking forward to a new album this year like everyone else and i know they have to be happy with what they put out,they have said this before and it's understandable.

But they have been making music for a long time so it should not be a hard thing for them to do really and we all know how fickle the music industrt is nowadays with regards to bands being succesful but U2 have a lot of fans, a lot !! So does it matter whether they are relevant in the charts,the fans by the sound of it of course want a good record, a great record but i have faith that we will get a great record but reading all this still worries me i must say.

I agree with others, why make statements about when it will be ready then suddenly not until 2015 !!

They have been late before but i think really it would be good for the lads to release a statement on here because isn't this site supposed to be for the fans to be near the band and to know what is happening in the U2 camp !!!

I must admit i have been questioning why i subscribe to U2.com last couple of years and the gifts got better as there was a carry on about them at one point, the 360 cds and books were great and this time we got a good book,something different but i think fans are hardly blown away when it comes to subscription reasons to re-subscribe.

I am a massive U2 fan and always will be but it would be good to hear from U2 lads at this moment !!!

I've been a U2 fan for so long (the Unforgettable Fire). This is SO disappointing IF true. Please give us an official statement U2. Is it over? The truth will set us free.

Wow come on people..your fans of U2...this aint no one direction or some other manafactured crap...they demand the best from themselves..thats why we get great album after great album..it happens when it happens! No doubt itl be worth the wait! :)

Yup, they've only over-stepped their normal album time since last album average by a year! Stop pannicking. Allowances for a progression in years for the elder statesmen of music.lol.

Just hoping for quality when it does arrive - and it will arrive - like the scent on new born babies head!

Hi

Although it's been a good few years since the last album & tour, I am prepared to wait another year. Band is getting older (aren't we all!) so maybe creativity plus health issues are a factor(wishing them all health & happiness then after that, us, they've earned it!). If another album is to be forthcoming, it needs to be as powerful vibrant & imaginative as Joshua Tree & Achtung Baby & the like. The last 2 albums, except for a few tracks, have not been up to the ultra-high standard of U2 albums of the past(IMO, shoot me down!). All of you guys know an arena or stadium tour would sell out quickly; U2 still has an unequalled "live" reputation. Stones toured last year & this year) with no real new songs & sold out (gigs!). U2 would do this big style("waiting for a moment.."). U2 need a statement album to return them to the top. Live tour first if the songs they're recording aren't good enough in their opinion. They ARE the best live band bar none around!! Roll on 2015, hoping!!

Another year out! I guess I'll go see Lady Gaga or Miley,,at least their out their singing while sick...something is better than nothing...U2 get it together and don't let One Direction take over the world!!!!!!!!

wow, reading all of these comments from so called "FANS". you all have got to be ashamed with yourselves. i've loved u2 for 15 years now and i don't care if they don't release anything untill 2024 they're still a really great band no matter how long it takes. its called having patience. fans my ass. give u2 a chance for cripes sakes.

wow, reading all of these comments from so called "FANS". you all have got to be ashamed with yourselves. i've loved u2 for 15 years now and i don't care if they don't release anything untill 2024 they're still a really great band no matter how long it takes. its called having patience. fans my ass. give u2 a chance for cripes sakes.

With respect we have given them the brilliant life that they have which give's us the right to criticise them if they continue to do nothing accept promise material that never see's the light of day.

I have been a fan of the band now for 34 years and I actually have no issue with the lack of a new album but I do have a major problem with them regularly promising a release and then not keeping that promise.

I would rather we didn't hear word one form the band until the album was done and dusted.

AS it is we have listened to Bono ramble on since the last album was released about this album and that album and all they have managed is two new tracks in 5 years.

I for one believe they are guilty of second guessing themselves too much.They get close to finishing and then......Lets tinker with this lets scrap that.What happened to spontaneity ?

Again I have no problem with how long it takes - if its as good as Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree who's going to complain?- but please just get on with it and stop talking about it.

As for waiting until 2024?I hope they aren't even together then.Bono at 64 ? It doesn't bare thinking about.

Bono at 64 ? It doesn't bare thinking about.

That's a good idea for a song title.....oh,hold on.....it's been done already. ;)

....I'll still need them when they're 64.

I think its kind of fun waiting for the new album,

how lucky that my favourite band from when I was at school is still going...

how lucky that there are hundreds of songs already made to listen to in their back catalogue...

and I really loved ordinary love and invisible...like hors d'oeuvres...just licking my lips waiting for the main course :P

(I'm a "glass is half full" kind of person!)

Jojodee, i like your attitude!   (however I have a tiny tiny bit disagreement that if a person makes a promise and doesn't pull through, then he broke a promise)

on second thought, it's not like Bono and the guys are sitting around doing nothing.  Aren't they involved in charities and organizations?  Didnt' Edge just do the "Shoes" thing?  So they're doing something!!

Edge did the guitar thing..Music rising...Then they put some U2-gear for auction !

I take your point, but we don't know what's going on... there could be a crisis or meltdown, like before Achtung Baby....and that didn't turn out too bad!

You might say, " well, keep us informed"...but that would just cause more headlines and rumours etc

Maybe we'll get a double album in the end... here's hoping

Pretty obvious that even though the band make remarks about when the album could be finished there can be no statement to say exactly when as even thedont know when they will be happy with it. I'm sure they have around 30 songs with the three album projects they had going with two or three different versions of some songs. There's got to be loads of material and a lot that's finished but maybe they feel they want something different to what they have after OL and Invisible. BTW never liked coldplay and pop is great!. Discotheque should be played live much more, could be as good as the 360 version of EBTTRT with a bit of work... although finish the new album first ;)

Wouldnt mind u2 quitting these side projects, even if they have songs mostly done for it.