Sign in to follow this  
Allegra

New Album? Wot New Album? (Merged)

Dear U2,

Please release a statement regarding the status of your new album. This recent news from Billboard, if true, should have come from the band directly. I'm sick of hearing everything from unnamed "close" or "inside" sources. I do not think that is too much to ask for. If this latest story is true, I will be extremely disappointed but at least won't be left wondering if maybe there is a chance it isn't true. Based on all the recent press and quotes from the band themselves, it just does not make sense that everything would be postponed till NEXT year. I don't know. I'm a confused and frustrated fan who is hoping the band themselves will actually tell us something real about what to expect instead of circling around the question and leaving us fans scraping bits and pieces of info and rumors together from anywhere we can get them. 

This does not bode well. This is an interview with Dangermouse after the Oscars....

When asked about the new album he replied...

“I don’t really know - I just know it’s not done,” he said.

But he’s still the producer?

“I don’t know. I’m working on Bells right now I have no idea what they're doing. I’ve been working on it for YEARS but I’m sure they’re still working on the record.”

I'm trying really hard not to get mad or upset b/c last time I did was during the Vertigo tour when Edge was dealing with some serious personal issues.  Who knows what is going on.  I almost wish that if it is taking this long to come up with stuff for the album, though, that they would just put us all and themselves out of misery and call it a day.

:o

I know.  I can't believe I said that either.  But who knows, maybe they wish they could quit right now too, but can't because of that crazy contract they signed with LiveNation.

I never post here because U2's website is one indication of their lack of relevance, but I feel desperate to get their attention.  If you think it is bad here, you should see the firestorm over at atu2.com over this news.  The band has lost faith with a lot of their fans recently...it is time for the band to say something, and none of this vague shit about waiting for God to come in the room or that they have 6 songs done.  What is the hold up.  And Guy Oseary, I thought you were doing a good job until this....get ahead of this and say something.

I'm trying really hard not to get mad or upset b/c last time I did was during the Vertigo tour when Edge was dealing with some serious personal issues.  Who knows what is going on.  I almost wish that if it is taking this long to come up with stuff for the album, though, that they would just put us all and themselves out of misery and call it a day.

:o

I know.  I can't believe I said that either.  But who knows, maybe they wish they could quit right now too, but can't because of that crazy contract they signed with LiveNation.

I'm sorry but : :o :o :o :o Just_Cuz_06.gif

I'm so tired about.....everything!! 

Dear U2,if you dont want to make music anymore, please tell us!

I sent the following email to the official U2 Information Service in Dublin (info@numb.ie) last night (UK time). I'll let everyone know if I get a reply…

"Hi there,

Just wondering if the band read any of the fan forums on the internet at all? If they don't, they should take a look at the forum on @u2.com (the best 1 out there by the way) and the confusion / anger / upset about the Billboard article published today saying that the new album has been delayed again until 2015.

After all the recent quotes from the band members hinting that an album and tour announcement is imminent (including Bono saying only last week that there are 2 albums nearly ready), plus the increased activity with the releases of Ordinary Love and Invisible, it is indeed very sad if the guys now feel the need to hire yet more producers to try and find the magic to enable them to finish 12 songs for an album.

Fans appreciate that the band only want to release something when they are happy with it - and we all know that they are perfectionists (which is why we've had 35+ years of brilliant music and tours already) - but then they should really just keep quiet and stop teasing us. 

Fans want them to stop trying to make pop songs for the kids and instead make ballsy / angry / groundbreaking / experimental music like they used to. No-one expects anything as good as Achtung Baby again (there can't be, as that was a perfect record) but fans want U2 to stop over-producing stuff again and again, and instead just have the guts to release something that's different.

It would be nice if U2 could put out an official statement of some kind, either to say the Billboard article is not true, or to say it is true - in which case they should disappear completely for this year, get their faces out of the music press, stop attending conferences about non-music things (Bono) and go away and finish the album. 

Alternatively, if there really is nothing left in the tank maybe they should call it a day - that will be a terrible day but at least fans would know where things stand.

Someone needs to tell the band that the quickest way to irrelevance is to release nothing at all. 

With kind regards from a dedicated, loyal, but frustrated U2 fan."

I sent the following email to the official U2 Information Service in Dublin (info@numb.ie) last night (UK time). I'll let everyone know if I get a reply…

a reply??!!!?!?  welcome to the dream-world!!! lol

U2 Delay New Album and Tour to 2015:

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/u2-delay-new-album-and-tour-to-2015-20140307#ixzz2vOp4tsfE

To paraphrase Bono: "Procrastination is the enemy of great." 

This morning I awoke to a Rolling Stone story that says that the new album that Bono said would be out by sometime this summer (I heard June kicked around), is now looking like it will be out sometime next year in 2015.   WTF  #Disappointed.

I love these guys, I really do, and I can't wait for the new album and tour.  Literally.  I cannot wait.  I can't wait because last year I was diagnosed with a fatal disease called ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease or (MND) Motor Neuron Disease as it is known in the UK and parts of Europe).  The doctors told me last year that I probably have about 2 -3 years to live. The implications of this diagnosis can be no more profound than that life expectancy.  I have two kids and a beautiful wife.  Rather than sit back and feel sad or ask why me, I plan to make the most of my time left with them while I still have the ability. While I can still add value to our lives.

Anyway, I am taking this medicine called Rilutek that supposedly can extend my life by as much as 3 months on average.  Wow...three whole months.  But I call it my "U2 pill", because I keep thinking it might be what gives me enough time to see you in concert one more time before I die.  Every time the band delays the release of this new album (which appropriately should be titled: Invisible), it's one step closer to me never seeing my favorite band ever again, which saddens me.

So if anyone out there at U2.com has any direct line to the band or the people making this album, can you please tell the lads to stop screwing around and get into the studio and make this blasted album already!!!  If I hear one more "good is the enemy of great." I think I'll ....well, I don't know what I'll do.  Groan with real emphasis and roll my eyes harder than I have ever done?  You get the idea.

CAN WE JUST GET THIS ALBUM DONE?  Gesh!!!!

So again, to recap:  I am dying.  Please release new album and start tour so I can see it before I die.  If that's not asking too much. (focus, and get it done, you've had plenty of time, no more excuses)

Please and thank you.

Your loyal fan,
Brian

Ottawa, Canada

PS - And why is it that it seems like U2.com is almost always the LAST source for news about U2.  I get most of my U2 news from other sites.  What's up with that??

It seems it's true.

Photo of U2 studio from Paul Epworth

http://instagram.com/p/lQuA8SpGBJ/

I am really tired of those nonesaying "hints" in photos anymore.... really tired, I am afraid I start to loose faith in the whole thing.

When I saw this photo I felt some relief but then I found out that Larry was spotted in a restaurant in NYC last night and we know Bono was in Dublin yesterday for the European People's Party. So they're not actually in the studio right now.

Is Paul Epworth working alone or only with Edge? It's hard to know without an official statement. But I think if they're not together at this moment, Billboard should be right... we won't get a new album so soon.  :(

It seems it's true.

Photo of U2 studio from Paul Epworth

http://instagram.com/p/lQuA8SpGBJ/

I am really tired of those nonesaying "hints" in photos anymore.... really tired, I am afraid I start to loose faith in the whole thing.

When I saw this photo I felt some relief but then I found out that Larry was spotted in a restaurant in NYC last night and we know Bono was in Dublin yesterday for the European People's Party. So they're not actually in the studio right now.

Is Paul Epworth working alone or only with Edge? It's hard to know without an official statement. But I think if they're not together at this moment, Billboard should be right... we won't get a new album so soon.  :(

I think it is something personal going on within the camp. It seems there is more important things in their lives right now than making another U2 album. My gut feeling tells me that Larry is not up for another campaign at the moment. 

Yes I agree I think it's a personal thing too, maybe Larry or maybe Adam.

Yes I agree I think it's a personal thing too, maybe Larry or maybe Adam.

Doubt it would be Adam. He was talking about have the album nearly done last year and being excited about it. DM mixing duties. Them all celebrating the album near completed. 

Larry has barely said a word about this new project. U2 have always said Larry is the one who has final say. If U2 are delaying the album, it must have something to do with Larry.

They should stop fannying around and release it tbh... these long gaps between albums are stupid.

U2 are the only band I know who make the Blue Nile appear industrious

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/mababe12/endofalbum.jpg

That's a crisis.

U2 wants an album that will hold up to: the fans standards, their standards and to the Music Industry standards...did any of you have that kind of pressure? No. We are adults! Than suck it up and deal with it!

I, for one, will never let them down because they have never let me down!

I stand up with the knowledge that the next album will be a great one and I don't care when it will be out or when the Tour starts!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/mababe12/fleurdelystechno.gif

Brian sorry to read that.

I understand the anger of those who DONT WANT to wait (but probably will), I understand the anger of those who WONT wait (anymore), but most of all I understand those who CANNOT wait. Thats probably the most sad side of the story.

Lets hope there might something turn out of U2 for you in a sudden or unexpected way against those rumours, any way, take care!

And you brought it down to the point... most of all u2.com is one of the worst sources for news in the net. Nowadays it should be the number one source, with the management providing some official kind of statement.

Edited by JoergZdarsky

That's a crisis.

U2 wants an album that will hold up to: the fans standards, their standards and to the Music Industry standards...did any of you have that kind of pressure? No. We are adults! Than suck it up and deal with it!

I stand up with the knowledge that the next album will be a great one and I don't care when it will be out or when the Tour starts!

I am sure you will be happy with a 2020 release date and a 2021 tour then.

Edited by paulsiberia

That's a crisis.

I am sure you will be happy with a 2020 release date and a 2021 tour then.

Unless it's put back again :)

This is the most relevant thread of all....While all of us can wait no matter how long, Brian CAN'T, fact !!!!

The oddest thing though is Edge saying they had 6 or 7 songs that were done that they were excited about. 

If the album isn't coming out until 2015, doesn't that mean those have been probably scrapped? I mean, it wouldn't take over a year to get a few more songs added onto those 7, so we can assume if this article is true they may be canning most of these songs. 

Brian sorry to read that.

I understand the anger of those who DONT WANT to wait (but probably will), I understand the anger of those who WONT wait (anymore), but most of all I understand those who CANNOT wait. Thats probably the most sad side of the story.

Lets hope there might something turn out of U2 for you in a sudden or unexpected way against those rumours, any way, take care!

And you brought it down to the point... most of all u2.com is one of the worst sources for news in the net. Nowadays it should be the number one source, with the management providing some official kind of statement.

We all know that we should believe in the news that are only on U2.com. The thing is... U2.com never said anything about new album's date. But U2 members talked to Rolling Stone, Billboard... generally with the all press. That's the problem because we believed in them and it seems they changed their minds. So I don't blame U2.com. If it was not official they shouldn't have talked to the press about it. Sorry guys - I love U2 more than myself - but I think they made a mistake and that's why we're all disappointed now. In a few words, I see a "communication problem" here.