Sign in to follow this  
Malahide

Bono And Edge Join Board Of Directors Fender Guitars

Bono and The Edge have some new responsbilities: They've both joined the Board of Directors of Fender Guitars. The New York Times reports this statement from The Edge about their appointment:

"I believe that guitars are here to stay and, far from digital technology being their death knell, I think it throws up some new ways to power creativity and give people greater access to the huge potential of the electric guitar," the Edge wrote in an email from the studio where the band is recording its next album.

In Billboard, Edge shares this quote:

This is "something of a kid in a candy store situation for me," comments The Edge in a statement. "I've been a fan of Fender guitars from the beginning, playing them on all the most important U2 tours and albums. But I'm most interested in working with the Fender design team on some new ideas."

The Times also reports that Edge will still use guitars and equipment from other brands, too, and won't be required to be an all-Fender guitarist.

Source: atU2.com

Found out why Bono is in (From Billboard, which i must admit I didn't read carefully)

Fender’s co-chairman Mark Fukunaga reckons the pair make ideal candidates for the job, but for different reasons. The Edge brings to the board an impeccable track record as a guitarist and as an “innovator of unique sounds through his use of technology,” he says, noting Bono is “a visionary in the music world who also has business acumen and creativity that will help Fender thrive.”

Edited by monica martino

Wow. So, I want to see a special-edition fender w/ U2 lyrics in script all over it! And a copy of Edge's & Bono's signatures on the guitar! And who knows, maybe Larry's & Adam's, too.

Of Course the guitar has to be available in red - and some of the lyrics included on the guitar definitely must say "with a red guitar on fire, desire." I make a motion that the board approve this idea.

And to promote the whole thing, of COURSE there needs to be at LEAST 25 guitars available for giveaway w/ the REAL autographs on them! And 15 of them should definitely be reserved for giveaway to zoo members only!! And none of that having to 'create a Picasso painting in an art contest' stuff to enter for them, either. Just a random drawing from amongst the 500 zoo members who've been the most active over the past few months or so. Or the 250 most active! I think that includes everyone in this thread. Now who seconds the motion? Good enough! The motion is carried! We'll expect to see this soon then! :lol:

Can we make it over the last year?  Not sure there have been 500 active members in the past few months.  ;)

You're going in the right direction. Let's make it the 125 most active members over the past few months! You're in the drawing, boopsie. :D

And while we're at it, let's increase the number of guitars being given away to 50, & make 40 of them reserved for giving away amongst the 125 zootopes. :lol:

Makes sense - especially when you read their role descriptions.

It's the "Board" so it's quite a good move from Fender

and Bono & Edge wouldn't take on a role like they have

with Fender unless they had something to give.

It's not about being the fastest, hottest Fender players in the galaxy - that's what an endorsee does

this is the Board of Directors :)  Sounds very smart all around to me