Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

febottini

U2's Bad Break: 12 Minutes At Live Aid That Made The Band's Career

A nice review of the U2's historic performance 29 years ago on July 13th.

u2liveaid-600-1404834444.jpg

"U2 formed in Dublin as teenagers in 1976. Between 1980 and 1985, they released four albums (Boy, October, War and The Unforgettable Fire).

On July 13th, 1985, seemingly every major rock act on Earth played the Live Aid concert for African famine relief, hosted primarily in Philadelphia's JFK Stadium and London's Wembley Stadium and broadcast to over a billion people worldwide. Backstage at Wembley, U2 met some of their heroes, including Pete Townshend, David Bowie, Paul McCartney and Muhammad Ali. Freddie Mercury flirted with Bono, who was previously unaware that the Queen singer was gay.

U2 hit the stage in London at 5:20 p.m. Greenwich Mean Time (12:20 p.m. on the East Coast of the States); they had a 20-minute slot between Bryan Adams and the Beach Boys (both performing in Philly). After being introduced by Jack Nicholson ("a group that's never had any problem saying how they feel"), U2 kicked off their set, which they intended to be three songs long, with 'Sunday Bloody Sunday.'"

Then Rolling Stone explains with details what happened in every minute of that performance and the reaction of the band and the consequences of the day to U2's career. Nothing really 'new' to us but it's good to remember ;)

Ohhhh yush!!! I remember it well. It stood out that day. As did Freddie Mercury.

Awesome post title. (Glad that top photo isn't Bono slipping & breaking his leg!)

Am I the only person who thinks that's the only time Adam didn't look like Adam? (A nice look, though.)

I never get tired of that video either, which is the only reason I'm not clicking on it - I'll wind up watching all 11:57 of it!

I remember sitting in the floor of my parents house, watching this.  The satellite signal went out for a moment during Bad.  I was screaming at the tv.  Such a beautiful U2 moment.

Nooooooooooo!!

I'll never forget Bono disappearing thought it was brill, a bit subversive lol ..I thought it was all part of the act!

I watched this at my parents house too, with my Dad... :wub:and who is the bass player standing next to Bono. ^_^Doesn't look look like Adam at all, it is a nice look though. I agree. Interesting how they thought they messed things up.. :lol:

I loved that time in my life. I was 19 at the time of Live Aid and I adored U2's Music. I had seen them twice in Sydney in 1984. I had already known that they were amazing and I didn't need Live Aid to prove it.I remember sitting on a bean bag watching U2 at Live Aid in my flat and I was so proud of the boys. Since then Love Town, Zoo TV, Pop, Vertigo and the 360 Tour. Did I think that they would still be around performing 30 years later. You bet! I never doubted them.

Which shows did you see in Sydney? Always curious if someone knows the missing setlists from the Australian tour, in part I think because, if I remember correctly, Eamon Dunphy said they learned the strength of "Bad" as a song during that leg of the tour, but it isn't in any setlists.

For some reason some set lists for the Sydney 1984 tour are incomplete. I can remember the boys stuffing up Gloria and did it twice . Not one after another but one at the start of the concert and one much later. I can only remember them doing Pride from UF, don't remember Bad being performed at all in Sydney. I remember there were some stage inviasions by fans. lol.The set list had very few surprises and it was pretty much UABRS.

Thanks for the reply on that. The tour does get a brief mention in Prop #10, which was just put up on the site.

I remember it so well. I watched it the whole day together with my sister as a teenager. Mu mum had made my favourite dish, but when Bad started I forgot to eat. It was so good. I have watched it on yoo toobe several times now and it still holds up, it's a great clip.

Love watching that clip

If you watch at  02.30 bottom left corner there's a person standing above crowd taking photo's

That's me   

goshrx - did it get that much coverage out your way? I remember talking about the US Festival happening at the time with a couple other fans, but none of us had seen it and we were already well aware of the band. Maybe it was different on the left coast? Live Aid though was about the best parallel you can get to the iTunes release - all it took was a TV to get a great introduction to the band.

I remember being FURIOUS that I couldn't be at WEMBLEY after just having seen the boys three times in Worcester Mass, twice in Hartford three times in New Jersey and once at Madison Square Garden in the preceding weeks. It was jubilant, yet somewhat sad knowing the boys that had been "ours" were now going to be THEIRS......... It was never as intimate since. Songs of INNOCENCE INDEED. SONGS OF EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!?!!