Sign in to follow this  
peterferris8

Universal Music Colombia On Twitter: New Album Titled 'sirens' And Will Be Ready In September

UNIVERSAL MUSIC COLOMBIA: U2'S 'SIRENS' ALBUM READY IN SEPTEMBER

@U2, July 24, 2014

By: Matt McGee

U2's new album will be called Sirens and will be ready in September. So says a tweetposted late Wednesday by Universal Music Colombia:

#noticias para los seguidores de @U2. El disco se va a titular #Sirens y estará listo en el mes de septiembre. pic.twitter.com/ZRLPMLIWRY

— Universal Music Col (@UMusicColombia) July 24, 2014

Clicking on the translate link leads to this:

14731187332_0f52319510_o.png

There's some speculation on U2Valencia.com that this is actually the name of a single, not the album, and that it might be "Siren" instead of "Sirens." In any case, it has to be considered a good sign when a Universal Music office starts tweeting about new U2 music. Stay tuned... 

http://www.atu2.com/news/universal-music-colombia-u2s-sirens-album-ready-in-september.html

I'll be glad if it's a short title! Need a punchy one. Quite like it (if it's true)

If this is true, it's the shortest U2 album title in 17 years!

So far it seems people are either liking or hating that title. To me, it's too short. Not descriptive enough.

How about 'Siren Song,' or 'Call of the Siren,' or...? For one thing, just 'Sirens' makes me think of ambulance sirens & police car sirens - which of course are not happy things. So - that's my 2 cents. :)

Darn....

Don't believe anything you read from twitter! 

Anything. Take it with a pinch of salt, until something with real substance or an actual product is out.

A band I am into, The Wonder Stuff, well there was a tweet like this....

@mileshuntTWS of @thewonder_stuff says they hope to have a new album out by 2016

Good tweet. Imagine quite a few fans getting excited because the tweet mentions Miles and the band, so it must be true?

Miles Hunt didn't know anything of it, and responded with this

"This just over on Twitter. I suppose I better get cracking with some writing then!"

Brilliant, goes to show, any old B.S. can be written and people believe it.

MacFoley has a good point about Twitter, I think - to take it w/ a grain of salt.

Alma, remember someone from Universal in Brasil spread some other BS about a release month? Everyone was going nuts for it, still no 13th U2 album.

Twitter is the king of networking lies. 

Alma, remember someone from Universal in Brasil spread some other BS about a release month? Everyone was going nuts for it, still no 13th U2 album.

Mac, I've seen some Twitter accounts in the past that looked like official ones, but weren't. So it's good like u said to take things w/ a grain of salt (even though I'm glad Peter posted this so we could check it out).

Rumors abound, but when are we actually going to get a new album??? <_< <_<

Sirens is more likely the name of the first single from the new album not the album title.

Mac, I've seen some Twitter accounts in the past that looked like official ones, but weren't. So it's good like u said to take things w/ a grain of salt (even though I'm glad Peter posted this so we could check it out).

True.

Thanks for the info Pete!

Gavin posted the apparent teaser to the U2TOURFANS fb page about an hour and a half ago and it has now been removed, looks like he could be in agreement as to it's legitimacy. It had a great sound to it so let's at least hope the audio has some validity. As for the title, IF there is any truth in it, I like it, Sirens have come up a few times in U2 lyrics for many years and I feel like for them it would mean something much closer to alternative definitions.

Greek Mythology Each of a number of women or winged creatures whose singing lured unwary sailors on to rocks.

A woman who is considered to be alluring or fascinating but also dangerous in some way.

If you think of 'Siren song' as being something that is  "Used in reference to the appeal of something that is alluring but also potentially harmful or dangerous" (Oxford dictionaries quote) then it is actually a very Bono and U2 sort of title.

Edited by Rhi_K

I hope it's not true...seriously...it sounds like a leftover... and I don't like it... Really all of them should get a little more angry with the situation around the world and write something more fierce and dynamic. We live in a time of such turmoil and they write mellow songs??? Where's the relevance they're seeking??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRro-96u0YM

I don't particularly care if this one is real or not (my assumption is generally 'not' on this kind of thing), it's a fun one to speculate on. Makes a nice James Joyce tie-in. Fits sex, drugs, male/female, music/song/sound, life/death (whether an ambulance siren, an impending air raid, or drowning), and that whole ocean thing. Reality becoming background to whatever you're drawn to. In other words, it's an easy and obvious title to put forward if it's fake, but it's also easy and obvious because it works and it opens up tons of room for subject matter and word play. They've touched it a couple times lyrically, and even if it isn't "real" at this point, it's one worth taking a run at as no artist that I can think of has really nailed it yet, and most of the attempts have been distant misses. Maybe "Layla" comes closest without directly touching on it. These lads can do better, all of them.

According to someone in the U2 camp, the Sirens trailer is a hoax. The Facebook page for it didn't exactly look official anyway.

Perhaps its title represents a warning for the negative comments about their new cd.. Zooropa never hit the sky with the radiowaves.. bad seeds on the home front with doubt?

Thanks Peter. :)

One more thought about the speculated title 'Sirens': another reason I personally wouldn't like it as a title - in addition to what I mentioned b4 about it making me think of ambulance & police car sirens which are negative, sometimes tragic things - it also makes me think of the word 'Silence,' which is the last thing U2 fans want from U2!

I keep saying the names of the other U2 albums over out loud to myself - & then I say 'Sirens' - and I just like the other ones much more.

Ko-De, when u say "it's one worth taking a run at as no artist that I can think of has really nailed it yet, and most of the attempts have been distant misses," are u referring to attempts at making a song w/ a theme of sirens that nails it?