Sign in to follow this  
zoogaloo

Shooting Video In Dublin?

@Dub_Differently @U2_News 

I seen the shooting on the bridge and U2 where not there at all. Red haired guy with a guitar on his back ❓

There you go again. 'Most probably' means nothing and doesn't clarify whether U2 was filming on the bridge or not.

We will probably see and probably find out in the probable near future. :D

I would like to believe it is something to do with U2, but confirmation is needed. 

Edited by MacFoley

I've been at shoot last 2 days and it's insanely tight but NO sign of band only some guys dressed in black being filmed

the shoot on the bridge is the same... NOTHING really happening only 1 guy being filmed carrying a guitar about - and security is mad

I don't expect band to be about for this ... at least they haven't been the last 2 days ??

I got pix... but nothing of interest :(

Anything to report today mate? Maybe it is a U2 video shoot, without U2 in it. Or maybe it will be combined into the Nice video shoot. 

Either way, something U2 is coming soon enough. 

Edited by MacFoley

A single released in the fall called Summer Nights? Hopefully it is just a smokescreen and not the official title. If there was Song for Someone written on there, I am sure that would have attracted quite a few U2 fans to the bridge.

Edited by MacFoley

The company behind a major film production which saw the Samuel Beckett Bridge in Dublin closed for almost 24 hours on Sunday has claimed it was making a video for “an up and coming band” by the name of Summer Nights.

For much of yesterday afternoon large articulated lorries carrying lighting equipment and rigging lined the south quays - and some of the smaller roads leading to the bridge. A marquee was also erected on the bridge itself, while a significant private security presence, watched over by at least two Garda patrol cars, pointed to a large scale operation taking place.

Even the Dublin City Council traffic camera on the bridge was shut off for the duration of the filming. It was the only one of more than 50 such cameras which was not working yesterday, suggesting a degree of secrecy which was somewhat unusual.

Pull The Trigger, a video production company based in Dublin’s Portobello was responsible for the shoot but a tight-lipped spokeswoman refused to give any details about what might have been happening on the bridge yesterday.

“All I can tell you is that it was a music video for an up and coming band called Summer Nights,” she said. Subsequent Google searches for Summer Nights returned no matches other than links to the Olivia Newton John and John Travolta duet from the 1970s film Grease.

Pull The Trigger is used to working with more established acts and has some experience making music videos in Dublin. The company was heavily involved in shooting The Sweetest Thing video for U2 in Fitzwilliam Square in 1998.

A portion of the Summer Nights shoot also took place near the Pepper Canister Church in Dublin 2. A clapboard seen at that location identified the director of the music video as Mark Romanek, who wrote and directed the 2002 film One Hour Photo starring Robin Williams.

Some of his most notable music videos include Johnny Cash’s Hurt, Michael And Janet Jackson’s Scream and Madonna’s Bedtime Story.

More recently he shot a video for the U2 song Invisible.

Dublin City Council was almost as taciturn as Pull The Trigger this afternoon and did not shed any light on the mysterious ways in which a major bridge across the city came to be shut down on a busy All-Ireland Sunday

All it would say was that it had agreed to the closure of the bridge “following a request from a film production company”. A spokesman said the production company required a confidential set and Dublin City Council agreed to this. He said the Council had a “policy of facilitating filming requests as part of its strategy to promote the city”. The council spokesman also told the Irish Times that the company had paid €8,241 to have the bridge shut.

Even the Lord Mayor of Dublin Christy Burke was stumped. “I tried to cross the bridge myself on the way back from a Bonnie Baby competition on Sherriff Street when I was blocked. I thought it was for maintenance or something, but then I heard a rumour that it was a video for Bono or something. But I don’t know – no official has told me anything and I am the Lord Mayor.”

Rumours that the video was actually being shot for U2 - and not the mysterious Summer Nights - remain unconfirmed although sources close to the band, who are about to release their 13th studio album, said none of them were in the country yesterday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/bridge-closed-for-band-that-you-too-will-never-have-heard-of-1.1907518

Apparently the single is called summer nights and it being directed by the guy that done invisible.

A clapper used during the filming says Summer Nights. But it isn't clear whether it refers to the name of a single or the name of the band. In the latter case, Summer Nights would be a fake name for U2 as The Irish Times writes (see above). Although there are still conflicting reports about the video shoot, the spokeswoman of the Dublin based video production company Pull The Trigger (see above) confirms a music video has been shot. In that case it is reasonable to think it is a video for U2, but that is not yet officially confirmed.  

had to laugh at the comments at the bottom of the newspaper article....indignant outrage that U2 may have possibly closed a bridge...

don't they have the freedom of city, or did I imagine that?

had to laugh at the comments at the bottom of the newspaper article....indignant outrage that U2 may have possibly closed a bridge...

don't they have the freedom of city, or did I imagine that?

Just a little more details on why Dublin people were complaining.

Last Sunday - there was a national train strike, all trains were out of action, there was also a major sporting match on in Croke Park, it holds around 80,000 people. those two factors combined, make closing one of the major city bridges , a bit of a big deal for traffic.

The freedom of the city, is a purely symbolic, but prestigous award, but it doesen't give anyone the right to do things like close major city centre bridges ! But Dublin city managers have been co-operating with all major film shoots in the city, to help promote them and anyone can apply for the necessary licence to do so.

If it does turn out to be U2, there has been amazing secrecy in Dublin city Council, as the Lord Major of Dublin tried to cross the bridge but was stopped, even he, was unaware of whu the brdge was closed. It's amazin there was not a "leak" about who the film shoot was for

Edited by Falling At Your Feet

I take the point about the strike,... and I know the freedom of the city is only symbolic....I wasn't being entirely serious about that!

I don't believe anything man. I just want confirmation. Can't you understand that?

Here's what I know (whatever it's worth)

Shooting a video called SUMMER NIGHTS,

I have been at two days of shooting and so far NO sight of anyone from U2...BUT i'll tell you this... IT's NOT an ad

Security is so tight for this it's actually laughable - IT's not an ad.. I've been on numerous sets over the years and never encountered security like this, some saying it's a GUINNESS ad some saying it's a CADBURY ad... ALL have signed a confidentiality agreement - they wear different coloured wrist-bands every day and the shoot has so far featured a single guy (actor) walking around Dublin (wet) streets carrying a guitar on his back, the bridge shoot was him looking towards city and tossing his guitar into river below....

Filming has been at U2/HQ among other places and again it isn't just an advert or even movie I have ever been near

Rumours U2 were shooting here this week... BUT no sign, I personally think it is U2 video... but band WON'T be at shoot...

Not sure how reliable this is and wether I was allowed to link it so if you put a search in for 

Independent.ie another beautiful day for u2 fans

it will take you to an Irish Independent article from the 23rd, as well as talking about filming in Nice it also this states that "they may also film one of their video's in Dublin shortly" 

Leaving just enough of a trail and doubt to cause a stir perhaps? Sounds like the media machine doing what it does best to me, it's clearly working, I'd love to think it was them...guess we will only know upon release

Edited by Rhi_K

This is a fireworks video of this supposed shoot, but notice at the end, some Achtung Baby faces? 

This is a fireworks video of this supposed shoot, but notice at the end, some Achtung Baby faces? 

Ooooh now isn't that interesting, I don't know anything about pyrotechnics, can that be done? coincidence maybe?

Achtung/Zoooropa faces, if it is, very clever...and enticing!

Edited by Rhi_K

Ooooh now isn't that interesting, I don't know anything about pyrotechnics, can that be done? coincidence maybe?

Speculation is fun! If this is to be a Dublin shoot, with some Achtung Baby faces in fireworks, IF this is a U2 video or turns out to be one, are they going back to their roots again, in visual form, looking at their past, like the lyrics on Invisible?