Sign in to follow this  
febottini

Bono confirms plans for U2's 2015 tour

U2 are planning an arena tour next year, frontman Bono has confirmed.

The Dublin rockers are excited about going out on the road to promote new album 'Songs of Innocence' but do not want to play vast outdoor spaces this time around.

Bono told Absolute Radio's Christian O'Connell: "We're gonna be touring. We're gonna start next year. We're gonna try and play the O2 and places like that, more indoors that outdoors this time, but we'll see where it takes us.

"It's exciting. We'll be coming your way and these songs are the songs that, I think... I think they will play themselves."

The 54-year-old rocker - who has daughters Jordan, 25, and Memphis, 23, and sons Elijah, 15, and John, 13, with wife Ali - admitted it takes a lot for the group to tour these days and they will only do so if they are truly proud of their new material.

He said: "Only if the songs are great can you bear leaving home. We all have families and mates and... so you know, you're looking for 11 great reasons to leave home and I think we've got them.

"You know what it's like now, it's like a whole city goes on the road with us. Our kids go out on the road, they get excited about it. It's like... yeah, it's kind of a whole... Dublin goes on the road."

Just to add something about tour...

In an interview, Arthur Fogel mentions this moment of U2's career:

"U2 won’t be going bankrupt any time soon, and nor, Fogel insists, have the world’s biggest live attraction suffered much from the social-media backlash prompted by their recent iTunes album giveaway. “There are vocal people expressing themselves, and then there’s the 40 to 50 million people who are not so vocal and have actually listened to the record. It was a disruptive and impactful campaign. Mission accomplished.”

Fogel hints that the accompanying U2 tour will be a stripped-back affair. “Without giving away any trade secrets, when you get to that level of production and scale [of the 360° tour], it’s not such a bad thing to go back the other way. I’m not sure you can ever go beyond that 360° production and make any sense of it.” U2 will ultimately thrive, he says, because “they are one of the few acts who have mastered the ability to shrink a stadium and to create intimacy in a large space with a lot of people”.

You can read the all interview in The Independent.

Awesome news thanks, I will always be gutted I missed 360, but I do look forward to an arena gig, been watching the Boston 2001 DVD and loving the closeness with the audience, the sound is usually better in an arena too and do like to feel the bass from my fingers to my toes! Bring it on boys :)

Awesome news thanks, I will always be gutted I missed 360, but I do look forward to an arena gig, been watching the Boston 2001 DVD and loving the closeness with the audience, the sound is usually better in an arena too and do like to feel the bass from my fingers to my toes! Bring it on boys :)

Me too! I was annoyed about missing the 360 tour, but any chance to see them is a good one for me! Bring it on!

Perth has a brand new arena fellas, the Boss did 3 shows there earlier this year. come on down B)

Actually it's not a good news to me. There aren't arenas here.  :(  #crying

:( 

but hey they may make an exception here and there :)

The language he used suggested there was some wiggle room and Edge said they were going to start small, so I'm sure they will be flexible. What I'm worried about is the more limited amount of standing tickets, I'm guessing they will do more dates to compensate for the smaller venues, but I think we are really going to rely on the pre-sale to get what we want. I've only ever done one gig sitting and it was a great gig, but I just felt like the best of the atmosphere passed me by.

Looking smooth as always there Bman!

Edited by Rhi_K

They'll do bigger stadiums as they go on I'm sure...it'll go on for about two years in the end!!

Will look out for Q, thanks Malahide! I looked yesterday but it was still the previous edition on the shelves.

I like the idea of arenas but I also remember how super difficult it is to get a ticket when they do arenas. Perhaps they'd consider doing stadiums in the larger metropolitan areas in the US and then arenas for the rest? Like Seattle, LA, NY could do Stadiums? Just a thought. I'll find a way to see them either way. 

I so hope they will be coming to Scandinavia this time around too, like in 2009. We have a new arena here and it's not that far from where I live. Wonder when they will be releasing tour plans?

3 nights in the Odyssey Arena, Belfast this time around lads - you know you want to! ;)  

Ok then....two nights......erm, well one, just give us one!

Edited by yardie

So I don't know how reliable this is, but I heard (via social network, so could be complete BS) that the band may be considering complete accoustic sets, separate from the more conventional rock your socks off shows, I'm really not sure how I feel about this, getting tickets will be hell for starters and as much as I would love to see an accoustic set (may have to get a seating ticket for that one if it's true, 2 and half hours with very little dancing, hmmm?) I really don't want to miss out on the opportunity to jump around like an idiot too, which could happen if tickets are in short supply.

Has anyone else heard about this?

I need to jump around like a loon lol  :lol: it's my god-given right as a U2 fan ha ha

Am sure they'll mix it up. Remember Stay live, just Edge and Bono some any moons ago (was it Mexico? can't remember) just beautiful

we didn't have an arena for 11 years and missed many bands doing shows here because of it :mellow:

the government closed our old Entertainment Centre in 2001 and the new arena was suppose to be ready by 2009.

it went over budget (500 million) & opened in 2012, three years late.  

having said that, I saw Springsteen at the new Perth Arena in February and the venue is fantastic!! just too bad it

wasn't built on schedule.

So probably we will have 2 shows per venue, one totally defferent from the other..

what about selling tickets valid for both without the need of doing 2 presales? :lol:

Dear U2,

I started with you in 1983. You forever changed my musical life. Thank you.

With another album due on the heels of this one, I thank you in advance.

THE 2015 TOUR:

I challenge you, and ask you to dare to be bold and make the song selection for your next tour to be comprised of only new songs from both albums, Invisible & Ordinary Love.

YOU CAN DO THIS. We have in our collections many variations of your older material. It's perfect. Thank you. BUT be bold. Be completely brand new and move forward. 

Your new material is completely worth it.

Dare I say Songs of Innocence is the Greatest Hits album we have never heard.

Folk Rock on!

-scott waz

So I don't know how reliable this is, but I heard (via social network, so could be complete BS) that the band may be considering complete accoustic sets, separate from the more conventional rock your socks off shows, I'm really not sure how I feel about this, getting tickets will be hell for starters and as much as I would love to see an accoustic set (may have to get a seating ticket for that one if it's true, 2 and half hours with very little dancing, hmmm?) I really don't want to miss out on the opportunity to jump around like an idiot too, which could happen if tickets are in short supply.

Has anyone else heard about this?

I would love to see an acoustic set. Then again, musically speaking, I'm all over the map. I've not heard of it. But then again I tend to shy away from rumors. I prefer to just show up to the first concert and be surprised. I'm open to different kinds of concerts as long as I can get a ticket to all of them, I'm good. :)

I've only seen them once, so I haven't had my fill of Rock your socks off yet, I will be happy if I can do both, IF this is true at all

I started with Joshua Tree. In 1983 I heard New Year's Day but mistook Edge for the guitarist from Billy Idol. White Wedding/New Year's Day...it can happen.

*hangs head in shame*

In happier news, I decided to buy an electric guitar and Rocksmith to learn guitar (well I haven't gotten them yet). I want to rock my face off. Then I can go busking when I visit Las Vegas strip.

Edited by Sigma957

I started with Joshua Tree. In 1983 I heard New Year's Day but mistook Edge for the guitarist from Billy Idol. White Wedding/New Year's Day...it can happen.

*hangs head in shame*

;)

1269259657_omg_cat.gif

Sign in to follow this