Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

March 12, 2012.

On this day, I went to Paard van Troje in The Hague, The Netherlands. Jonathan Jeremiah just released his first album, named ‘A Solitary Man’. The relaxed atmosphere was one of the things you immediately noticed the very moment you entered the room. I was there with my girlfriend (now my fiancé), along with my mate and his girlfriend. We were standing first row and some kind of magic happened there. Jonathan was making jokes and along with his beautiful orchestra, beautiful songs were turned into amazing live performances and I’m still happy with the printed set list I received afterwards. I listened (and still do) to his songs regularly and caught up with him later on Facebook. He wrote that he would perform on Belgium radio soon and he was searching for some covers he could play.

At that moment, I lived in Finland (where I normally live in The Netherlands) and tried to have a small chat with him. I remembered a ‘With or without you’ version of Jonathan, and suggested that to him. He gave a reply quite fast, mentioning that ‘Bono in Belgium has a ring to it’. With other words, the Belgium people do think that Bono (and U2) is very attractive and they do like their music. And that reminds me of the second U2 gig during 360, September 23 in 2010. Bono mentioned: Sometimes, U2 shows in Brussels feel a bit like an earthquake, of the heart, of the soul…

It felt lovely together. Jonathan Jeremiah really hit me in the soul during his concert in 2012, Jonathan mentioned it later on Facebook. But, Bono already said it during the second U2 gig in Brussels in 2010, that’s why I will never forget the Jonathan Jeremiah show. It made me aware of a lovely connection between my favourite artists!...    

post-572814-0-19193800-1412708702_thumb.jpg

#unforgettablegig
This is my story:

Germany, 12th May 2006, Duisburg, Pulp

A lover, Snow Patrol and the teaser

So i was on my way to Duisburg to see Snow Patrol. I didnt have a Navigationsystem at that time, only a crappy map that didnt show me any details of where to go. So i was driving on the Autobahn, thinking i need to find a way how to get to the venue. All i had was the name of the venue: Pulp and a streetname. How was i to find this in a rather big city like Duisburg without a map? The autobahn traffic got worse and worse... So i decided to take a break and stopped at a motorway service area.

I sat in the sun on the sideway when this taxi pulled in on the parking space next to my car. The guy got out of his car and i thought he was cute. To my surprise he smiled at me and went into the store across the street. I thought, well if i am lucky this taxi driver can give me some directions.
So when he got back i pulled out my map and had to pluck up enough courage to actually talk to him (yeah he was that cute...) I asked him for directions and he said, "you´re in luck i was on my way to duisburg and if you follow me i´ll take you there. You wouldnt be able to find it on your own". The taxi drivers name was Holger. We talked a bit more sitting in the sun and our affection for each other was obvious and mutual.
So we got both back into our cars. The traffic seemed to have cleared a bit and it was easy to follow the taxi. Then a few kilometers later we found ourselves in a messy traffic jam. Holger was making signs in the rearview mirror to leave the autobahn, so we did, even tho we were still quite a way away from Duisburg. At first i didnt like the idea of leaving the autobahn and i thought about "what if he doesnt lead you the right way?" But all my fears were for nothing. Holger stopped at the next corner and explained that the traffic jam was really bad and that it would be night before we´d get to Duisburg that way. He also gave me his number and asked me for mine so we could communicate if we had to. We now took state roads and passed through a lot of cities. (Later he admitted that he only pulled that stunt to get my number ;) )

Finally we made our way to the "Pulp". It was like nothing i expected. It was a Castle, real Castle stuck between cargo rails and close to the Rhine and a cargo dock. Totally unexpected, totally hidden in the industrial area.
We were early and to my surprise the venue was still closed and nobody else was around. Heiko suggested to get to the downtown area and have a coffee or something. So we did that and time just flew by so fast. I thought i wouldnt get back in time.

My ticket said that doors would open at 7pm, we got there 7.30 and now the parking lot was full and lights were on everywhere. I thought i missed the opening of the doors and would end up in the last row. (Oh Noooo!)
Yes, I was so happy that i had found a new friend (yeah actually we had already kissed) but heartbroken that i wouldnt be able to get close to the stage and see Snow Patrol for the first time.
I went in and found myself in a restaurant. I was confused. Was i at the right venue? Where is the concert hall, where are all the people to see the show? I saw two metal doors with a sign that said Rittersaal (Knights - Hall) and a man was standing there. I thought he must be staff or security. So i approached him and asked if this was the concert hall behind the doors. He said yes it is. So i asked, so the doors arent open yet? The man said, hey i dont know, i dont work here. I´ve been waiting here for the last 30 mins and nothing happens. (Ooops) I appologized for my mistake and asked him which of the two bands of the night he was there for. He said "I want to see Blackmail", i told him that i didnt know Blackmail and that i was only there for Snow Patrol. The man said "Oh, really? I think i saw them over there eating dinner in the restaurant" "What?? Are you serious? Where?" He laughed how excited i got and pointed across the room. And oh my god! there they were! My heart was about to jump out of my chest. I walked over to see them a little closer, they were still eating. So i waited a few meters away until they were finished. Then i went over and asked if i could get an autograph and maybe a picture together.

Jonny looked over to Gary, who just ordered a dessert in that moment and said said to me "sure. Take a seat!" What? Did he just offer me a seat at their table? WOW! I sat down and didnt know what to say at first. Paul and Nathan left the table. And while Gary was talking on the phone and eating his dessert i talked to Jonny Quinn and sat next to Tom Simpson. I dont really remember to clearly what we talked about, i am sure it was a lot of nonsense on my part.
Esp since i was an admin at that time at a tiny little forum named "TheLarryMullenBand.com". I told them about the forum and asked them what they thought about U2 and they all agreed "one of the best bands in the world" I got really brave and asked if they would do a teaser for our forum like "hey you´re at the larry mullen band forum, we are Snow Patrol and U2 rocks". Jonny laughed and said "oh thats Gary´s business" Jonny called him over to us and i tried to explain it again. Gary agreed and it turned out to be quite funny. You can actually watch that teaser here:

(i didnt upload it on youtube, it somehow found its way from our forum to the snow patrol forum and i think someone there uploaded it on youtube) You can also hear me in the background talking and laughing.
Then we took a photo together and they gave me an autograph on my ticket. I would have loved to talk some more to Jonny (he is the nicest drummer i´ve ever met (sorry larry, i never managed to meet you or any of your band mates for that matter...maybe on the next tour huh?)
but unfortunately they had to go and give some interviews.
All this took about 10 mins or so. I was overjoyed and thanked the guy who was still waiting at the doors. I couldnt wait for the doors to open and the shows to start. I made it to the first row and Gary winked at me. I felt really special! The show was fantastic, even the few colourful lights seemed to me like diamonds twinkling to the beat of the sounds. Everything seemed more vivid and more beautiful than i can put into words. At the end of the show Jonny gave me one of his drumsticks and i also got the setlist. I drove home that night feeling like the luckiest girl in the world.Oh and Holger and I became a couple for some time. Good times!

Here are some pictures... click on thumbs to enlarge.
Autograph: th_snowpatrolautograph.jpg Snow Patrol & Me: th_angelwithsnowpatrol.jpg  Drumstick: th_snowpatroldrumsstick.jpg
Setlist: th_snowpatrolsetlist.jpg  Gary on stage:th_SNP12-5-06-025.jpg th_SNP12-5-06-027.jpg th_SNP12-5-06-029.jpg

Edited by angelfish23

It was the first of August, 2001. I was a 10 year old boy, walking with my mom and dad on the stairs of the Gelredome in Arnhem.

I was so exited, I was finaly going to see them, U2.

It all started in the car on the way to our yearly ski holiday to Austria. I (as a little boy I was) was A fan of the Bert and Ernie tapes in the car during the 7 hour trip. But at some moment my Dad was done with it.

Then he put in the tape with the recording of the Sarajevo concert U2 gave during Popmart. First I didn't like it, because I wanted Bert and Ernie back, but after a while I started to love the music. And when they put out their new Album (ATYCLB), I desperatly wanted to go to the concert.

When the tour was announced, it was suppossed to be in the Prins van Oranjehal in Utrecht..... My mom and dad wouldn't take me. Because there were only standing tickets, and I was to little. So dissapointed...

But then, the magic moment accured! The concert was reschudeled to the Gelredome in Arnhem! Just 10 min from my house!

My mom wrote a letter (yes, thats what they did in the 2000), and asked if we could have seating tickets, plus an extra ticket for me.....

After 2 weeks, we got the good news! It worked!!! I was going to see U2!!1

Back on the steps, I walked in and saw the stage... with the big heart shaped b-stage. I asked a steward how it was (because he had to work the first concert). He tolled me it was awesome and Bono runs around the stage a lot.

I was getting more exiting by the minute!!! The pre show ended and then I heared Sgt. Peper lonely club band!!! This is it!! They are there!!!

Wow...... it just was breathtaking. From the begin to the end. Heared some great songs, and I witnessed the magic of Streets for the first time.

The band ended with there first single, Out of Control. Funny thing, my dad thought it was a new song (but his 10 year old son had tot correct him!!!)

A concert I never forget, even Bono speaking Dutch, (Gisteravond was geweldig, vandaag gaat het dak eraf (yesterday was super, but today the roof is going off))

Today(23 years old), i've bin to 8 U2 concerts since this one in Arnhem, but everytime I go to a new concert, I remember myself walking with my parents on the stairs of Gelredome...Finaly going to see U2.

The band that has become part of my life!

Milan, 08.07.2009.

My first time.

This is a picture of me (obviously criyng) and my best friend when U2 appeared on stage;that emotion, the emotion of finally see them live on stage is still written in my heart, head and soul.

"Only Love can leave such a mark...".

Serena

post-583446-0-20728600-1412710115_thumb.jpg

1982, a little boy sees the local brass band playing at the market square, one particular instrument has his intrest, instantly: the drum. It's my first memory of hearing "music" played live and listening to it with interest. I said to my dad next to me: i wanna do that! 30 years later, i'm still playing the drums, so that "gig" changed my life forever. Years later, i discovered that the drummer of my favourite band started as a drummer in the Artane Boys Band and passed to band drumming later. So, i feel connected to Larry, he did the same as i did. He's a street drummer like me. I checked the website of that brass band even today: www.de-woudfanfare.be. The man carrying the bass drum on the home page picture gave me my first drum lessons! Should go to see them once more some day! Nico, Belgium.

My name is Chadd Bryant and I’m from Prague, Oklahoma. A town of only 2,000. It’s 2001 and I’m 14 years old. Growing up I was a big tomb raider fan and one day my cousin and I came across the Elevation music video. After seeing and hearing this song - I was mesmerized. I had to know who this band was. My mother bought me the All That You Can’t Leave Behind album soon after. From there on I began to discover U2 and everything about them.

A few years later in 2004 the Vertigo iPod commercial came on TV. I knew that voice. I knew they were back. I knew I had to see them live. The closest the tour was going to get to Prague was Dallas, TX. All of the tickets sold out immediately. I couldn’t take no for an answer. I found tickets eventually for me and my friend named Jerad. Our date was set. October 29th, 2005 was going to be my first concert. (I put the tickets on a credit card that set me back $550, but I didn't care! As I and everyone else will learn, there is no price on a U2 ticket for me). 

We drive down to Dallas. We get in line for the general admission when the line was allowed to begin to form. We wait in line all day, make friends and dream of what night will hold. I can’t put into words the excitement I’m feeling. And the joy I had knowing tonight was the night. I remember when the line began to move. Rumors of a random lottery picking those to be in the inner circle began to swirl. You began to hear girls, boys, women and men yelling with excitement 20-30 ft in front of us as they were picked to be in the inner circle. I said a small prayer. I remember it too. “God, if you let me in the inner circle… I will scream like that little girl…” lol. The moment of truth arrived as I handed my ticket to be scanned. I looked to the tv screen. Nothing. My friend behind me hands them his ticket. Scanned. VERTIGO!!! My friend yelled “Yes!” and I was in disbelief. What does this mean? The lady explained he was to pick one friend to go in the inner circle with. As if he wasn’t going to pick me, I began to scream out PICK ME PICK ME! They put my wristband on and I began to run. I left my friend behind, lol. I didn’t mean to. But this was everything I dreamed of. We made our way down to the inner circle. We had to go through the entrance with the backlight to check wristbands and hand prints. In disbelief, we were front and center. I seen Larry’s drums just feet from me. I looked at my friend Jerad and just kept saying,”no way… no way”. I thanked God. This was everything I wanted and more.

City of Blinding Lights started and I became lost in the moment. The music in that arena moved me. Moments of rock ’n roll. Moments of emotion. Just a beautiful experience from beginning to end. I love this band. It was more than a concert. It was a spiritual experience. I know God has blessed them. There’s something else about a U2 concert - other shows don’t have it. I’m a person of faith, so I appreciated these lyrics and moments even more. I remember the closing songs. All Because of You, Yahweh and 40. It was like a worship service at church. It was soulful. It was moving. I had tears roll down my face. 

When the band walked off stage, I looked at my friend. We just stared at one another in disbelief. I remember thinking, what am I going to do now? That was such an unbelievable experience. I had to see them again…

And the trend continued…

Vertigo Tour · Honolulu, Hi 12/9/2006 (shared the experience with my friend Drew)
360 Tour · Arlington, TX 10/12/2009 (shared the experience with my friend Trevor)
360 Tour · Norman, OK 10/18/2009 (my brother Chase, my Dad, Tyler, Brad, Drew, Josh, Erika, Katie, Leanne, Kyle S, Kyle K, Rachael, Blake, Cody, Casey, Trevor,  Dillon, Lisa, Robert, Isham and Amanda)
360 Tour · Denver, CO 5/21/2011 (shared the experience with my brother Chase, friends Blake, Kandice, Trevor, Melissa and Katie)
360 Tour · St. Louis, MO 7/17/2011 (shared the experience with my cousin Mike and friends Blake, Trevor, Casey, Mason and Katie)
360 Tour · Moncton, Canada 7/30/2011 (shared the experience with my best friends Blake and Trevor)
… and will continue

U2, you have changed my life. Musically, spiritually - you name it. Such a huge influence. There’s truly no words to express the love I have for you. I thank God for you and your music. I believe in the work and the changed lives. The world is a better place because of U2.

Chadd

(The picture below is in 9 separate pictures to make one big picture)

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

We are in frame 6. I'm singing at the top of my lungs. My hand is covering a part of Jerad's face a little above me. He's wearing a hat. This is a picture of my first concert mentioned in the story. #unforgettablegig

IMG_2270.jpg
Edited by Chadd Bryant

post-422863-0-98097000-1412713041_thumb.jpg

First U2 concert, 12 hour in bus, one concert ond 12 hour in bus home to Denmark.

Best concert ever.

I have been to many concerts. Here among 6 x U2 concerts.

But a concert there have been quite different for me than any other, was September 6, 2011, when I was at my second concert with the band CSS.

It was a Monday night and there were only about 30 audience.

I got a good spot in front of the stage. There was a great atmosphere on stage and in the audience.

After the concert I got to meet and greet the band, and get signed my CCS LP.

You can see me with the LP on this link: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVF8QVRCAAEBrVR.jpg

#unforgettablegig

It was the week before November 14th 1988, and I was just turning 16 years old. I lived in a small Pocono Mountain Town in Pennsylvania. I'd already been a U2 fan for 4 years, during a time when they were not a house hold name yet, but they were just about there after watching them win big at the Grammy awards (it was a time when watching the Grammys at that age and time was So Exciting) My best friend and I were only living 2 hours outside NYC, but we were Isolated in our small town in Pennsylvania, and a lot of research we did about U2 back then, well some of it was misinformed. For a long time we believed Peter Rowen (U2 Boy-War Boy) was a true Refugee Child from some far off land. Our world was small. Anyway, I had not seen U2 in concert yet, I was too young to go, too far away from a stadium, no money...but it was in November 1988 that Rattle and Hum Premiered in NYC, and my Dad said would you like to Celebrate your 16th Birthday in NYC at the Hard Rock Café (that was a big deal in the 80's too) so I of course agreed, because I knew Rattle and Hum was still playing at Loews. That was my first U2 concert, ...well concert Movie in a movie theatre. We already had worn out our VHS tape of Live at Red Rocks, but this was different, this was a BIG Screen Concert. It took our breaths away. No We were not there when U2 was, I believe we were there almost two weeks after the Premiere. Seeing Running to Stand Still on that Big Screen, Like we were on the stage with them...it stuck with my best friend and I at a very young age, not much sends chills down the spine of a 16 year old, but U2 did. To Quote Morrissey (another artist who made a big impression in a different way) those were "The songs that saved our lives" As soon as I got a car we went to all the tours after that, and we always had that breath taking experience...but Rattle and Hum will always be with me like yesterday. Thank you U2 for the 30 years of Breath Taking Magic, Life Performances, and Comfort!

#unforgettablegig       

Lora Glazer

Tampa, Florida    

post-574205-0-48684100-1412713617_thumb.jpg

post-574205-0-90881700-1412713650_thumb.jpg

post-574205-0-79219000-1412713680_thumb.jpg

post-574205-0-07244400-1412713724_thumb.jpg

Edited by LoraU21984

My #unforgettablegig was when Bono picked me out of the audience to play the guitar and sing on stage with @U2. I was in the general admission area with my best friend Najette during a Las Vegas show, and had a sign that read "This Chick Plays A Mean Guitar". Bono saw it, and all of a sudden security plucked me out of the audience and I got to play the song "People Get Ready" on stage with U2. Bono even started making up lyrics about me being U2's "new guitar player" and having "fly shades on"! On cloud 9, I strummed along from beginning to end. I sang in unison with Bono into his mic, and even belted out the last few notes of the song. At the end of the song, Bono held my hand up high into the air, and announced my full name for all to hear. The crowd went nuts. It was a dream come true. Almost unimaginable. I am so thankful for the opportunity. U2 inspired me to stick with music as a career and write songs, and I continue to work as a singer-songwriter while teaching children all over the world how to compose songs and express themselves via my songwriting workshops (www.jinglesessions.com). Special thanks to U2 for this opportunity that changed my life and confirmed my love for music and songwriting. #ThankfulForTheChanceToShineWithU2 #ThisChickPlaysAMeanGuitar

My story is best told via this VH1 special: 

Bono, The Edge and Julie Kryk - Las Vegas 2001

Bono and Julie Kryk - Las Vegas 2001

mgXif0.gif

WT7d_0.gif

IH2vP8.gif

JCI2Yp.gif

yGr7Bd.gif

Edited by thischickplaysameanguitar

Et bien pour moi le concert qui à changé ma vie, c'était lors de l'été 2007......pour la petite histoire, c'était quelques années plus tôt, lors du concert de U2 à Nice en 2005 lors du Vertigo tour, la chanson d'intro m'interpella! Le titre était WAKE UP, un morceau d'une composition sublime. Ce jour de juillet 2007 ce fut la première fois que je pleurais lors d'un concert(pendant No Cars Go).. c'était lors d'un concert d'ARCADE FIRE......et depuis ce jour ma vie a littéralement changé grâce à nos 4 irlandais, alors merci U2 pour cette découverte, je vous en serait éternellement reconnaissant.

13 July 1985 WEMBLEY STADIUM LONDON: LIVE AID

On a sunny Saturday in 1985 the world joined in music to support those less fortunate, NO Politics, NO Violence, NO Sanctions, NO Religion

just pure Rock'n'Roll.

I was 19 standing in Wembley Stadium with 70,000+ listening and seeing a music phenomenon in the making.  Opened with Status Quo Rocking All Over the World with Prince Charles & Lady Di rocking with the stadium.  Phil Collins did his session then jetted off to join the other half of the concert in Philadelphia.  Bowie & Jagger Danced in the street via video link (in 1985 !!!!)

Late afternoon Philadelphia opened and joined Wembley.

This was a one off and I was there and my first introduction to U2!

post-546154-0-26336000-1412714562_thumb.png

I've always been fond of music ... and concerts.

I've seen many bands, french bands, as I'm french, alternative bands and some foreign bands :Dire Straits, Frankie goes to Hollywood, Joe Cocker...

But I had never seen my favourite band even though I had taken on a wall during a rainy night in the streets of my town a poster of one of their concerts during the joshuah tree tour. A poster that stayed above my bed for years.

Then, I was 41 my mother was dying and my father died two years before, I didn't knew how I could expect the future, How I could see further ...

I don't know why but I thought I had to see U2 on the 360 tour. I had always postponed to see them, because I thought I didn't have enough money, enough time, many stupid reasons.

But everything was sold and I couldn't get any.

So a spark shone in the night.There was an additional concert .

My mother was suffering more and more and I couldn't help her ,only by being by her side.

My wife told me That I had to find something to save my mind for later.

I suscribed at U2 com and I took 3 entries for the second concert.

One hour later I went back to the hospital and my mother died, we were hand in hand.

So, four months later, I went to the stade de France, on the 12 of july 2009, with a friend and my elder son.

There was a future.

I saw one of the most beautiful concert in my life.

I had a  melancolic thought for my mother when they played pride (in the name of love). Back in the 80's, she was sometimes listening to the unforgettable fire LP with me.

It was wonderful.

I knew I shouldn' t wait for the things I had to live them.

No one knows of what tomorrow is made

carpe diem as Robin Williams said in a movie

Since this day I've seen : the Buzzcocks, Doctor Feelgood, And Also the Trees,Tindersticks, The Stranglers, The Sonics, many french bands, operas like carmen and also Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones and ... my sons who play guitar or drums.

And on the 18 th of september 2010 for my wife's birthday, an happier purpose, we went back to the stade de France to see and listen at bono, edge, adam and larry

I hope to see you soon guys

PS ; my photos are too big to upload sorry

I still get excited to remember my first live show.
I minor, Barcelona, ​​1987, Zeleste (now Razzmataz) and Echo & The Bunnymen.
And two guest artists ........ my older sister and her boyfriend (now husband) !!! .... hahaha
My parents would not let me go without my two guards .... hahaha ... those were different times ...
Although I have to say that they also liked the show ....
Spectacular, and I think the best tour of Echo
I could even get a bootleg cassette recording of show which I still ...
And from that day everything changed ..................... but no miracle for me !!!
salu2

post-315300-0-46353500-1412715852_thumb.jpg

It was circa 1993. I was 22 and had managed to get up the courage to ask out a female work mate on a date. Expecting her to say no I hadn't put much thought into where to go. She said yes and what did I do, took her to a U2 cover band, Sunday Bloody Sunday who were playing that night in Bondi Junction, Sydney. What a night, what a girl, 21 years later and we've been married for 18 years and have three kids, Paul, Adam & Larry! Only kidding about the names but it was the music of U2 that brought us together all those years ago. Thank You!! Sorry, no photos

When I was 18 me and my best friend went to Dortmund, Germany, on December 16th, 1989.

Some weeks before it took me a kind of 'little fight' to get two of the rare tickets for a show by a band called U2 - yeah, truly an experience with them is banned in my mind. And I never will forget this very special night. Why?!

From 1987 on I was a real fan of the band, after I made my first experiences with their music in England whereas holidays. All the shows were sold out and over all it felt like they were some kind of untouchable for a juvenile.

So the first special moment was receiving the tickets weeks before the gig!

After the supporting act I left the main floor of the hall because I wanted to try to get on the first balcony for a better view on the starting of the show. With the first sound of the organs to 'Where the streets...' I got a view from above. This was amazing. In never had seen such an opening or a crowd getting happy and excited at once! I got creeps and I felt as happy as anyone around me.

Suddenly, in the middle of the song, something in me said, no - cried at me, I had to step back to ground floor again. I ran down the stairs and pushed any door open. Keeping the head down, I passed some lines of the audience. Then I stopped and looked up left from me:

Just about three meters from me, Bono stood on the stage, looking in our direction! I felt so close to my 'heroes', I never will forget this emotional seconds. As Bono stepped back to the main stage I followed him through the crowd. Amazing!!!!

The whole show we spent dancing, although everyone stood close. It was even that close, I lost the sole of my shoe, after someone stepped on it...

#unforgettablegig – U2  - October Tour March 25, 1982.

Photo_2006_7_20_2_40_34_zpsb82809d8.jpg

The show that changed my life forever would be my 1st U2 concert when they opened for J. Giels at the Veteran’s Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix, Arizona on March 25, 1982.

We were so excited and determined to see U2 that our adventure would start one day earlier with driving to the concert in Tucson, Arizona. We were four friends who drove down together, not knowing the show was cancelled in Tucson. We drove back to Phoenix with the car catching on fire while we were still in it on the freeway! We managed to pull over and get out safely, see the fire department show up to put the fire out and having a parent come rescue us to take us all home.

10313760_738409009544032_619147011473460

The next morning we went to the Phoenix concert early so we could be up close to the stage. We were against the barricade in front of the Edge with about 40 other U2 fans that were there to see them as well. They opened the concert with Gloria, and sang I Threw a Brick through a Window, A Day Without Me, An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, Scarlet, Rejoice, The Electric Co, I Will Follow and Out of Control (which we kept yelling for!). Bono threw cups of water on the crowd, stood on top of the monitors, and only rested once on the keyboard platform. During this time we all kept yelling for him so he came over and gave us a special bow. When they were done, we ran out to the backstage entrance to try and meet them.

b35b6488-ea36-4745-afd6-9fb650551778_zps

We would first meet a special Irish road crew member telling him our disastrous “road trip” story to see U2 in Tucson. He would go inside to bring out Bono and the Edge introducing them to us. Adam came out afterwards. I asked him to sign an autograph to the Fanzine I wrote for called “Cosmic Rockers” and we took photos with him. Sadly, we did not get to talk to Larry. At the end of the night we all watched them board the bus and leave. We were so excited by everything that had happened we would decide to drive to L.A. in two days to see and meet them again!  This was the start of a lifelong love for a band we would not only grow up with but see them become the biggest rock band in the world!    

By Dion Simte aka JesusGirl

2007-11-11-1756-23_zps36a24a73.jpg

En remolinos (In Swirls). In honor of Gustavo Cerati.

In the 80s´ Argentina lived an atmosphere of joy and wonderful creativity. I grew up in a newly discovered environment of freedom that came from the hand of democracy.

Many rock bands were born in those days, but my favorite one was for certain, Soda Stereo, the band leaded by Gustavo Cerati.

In the summer of 1989 I was only 14 years old and I was on holidays with my family at Mar del Plata (a nice coast city about 260 miles from Buenos Aires). My sister, who is 6 years older than me was planning to go to a Soda Stereo concert. When I heard that Soda was going to play in Mar del Pata, I couldn´t believe my years! From that minute on, I devoted myself to get my sister take me to the concert with her (and believe me, it was not an easy task to fulfill! Not only did I have to convince my sister to take me with her, but also get my parents to allow me to go). I went.

I was nervous. I didn´t know how to behave at a concert. But when they played the first chords, and played “Juego de Seducción” (Game of Seduction) it all became clear: I was sensing freedom in a way I had never felt before. My own personal boundaries had magically moved thousands of miles away in a blink. 

I am 40 years old now and the music is still as important to me as it was in that moment; maybe even more.

A few days ago Gustavo Cerati died after spending four years in a coma, or as some may prefer to believe, “in a strange and magical cosmic state”. A circle closes, while others open. Maybe that's just the gift that music gives me to understand that something that ends always leads to something new to be revealed. An infinite world in swirls.

post-423041-0-09625500-1412719279_thumb.jpg

post-423041-0-37702900-1412720360_thumb.jpg

In 1988 I was serving in the military and on Sunday afternoon I was in the housing of my company with nothing to do, was listening to music on local radio, was when he played New Year's Day, was the first time I hear a song from U2 Band I turned fan. 

Some time later I met a girl, started studying together in the same classroom, we started dating and got married. 

Concerning music, had very different taste, but had a common band was U2. 

We buy all CDs, all DVDs, all magazines and all related articles U2 have had access to, but never had the opportunity to take in a show band. Feed this desire for years, decades and only realize our dream 23 years later, in 2011 when we went to the U2 show at Morumbi in São Paulo, Brazil. 

The U2 was part of my adolescence, youth and inspires me today. Surely this band added something more in my relationship with my wife and her music that moves me, make me go, make me happy. 

Thank you U2.

Edivaldo E Juliana 12

The year was 1989 Dublin. I was 17 years old. I was a U2 fan for just over two years having discovered them via the Joshua Tree. From there I was hooked , I bought all the previous albums and thought they were amazing. I was hooked on bad live on wide awake in America , I used to listen to it everyday when I came home from school. Anyway back to 1989 and the word got out that U2 were going to play new years eve at the point depot in dublin and myself and some equally dedicated friends left school and headed to the point depot car park to queue in the cold for hours and hours to get a ticket. The atmosphere and singing in the queue was unforgettable. I managed to get a ticket I think it was 16.50 pounds and waited patiently for new years Eve to arrive! There wasn't much to look forward to in dublin in those days but the anticipation of this gig was like waiting for Santa to arrive as an innocent child. New Years eve came as it always does and we headed off to the point depot. I remember being close to the front near a red barrier , covered in love hearts the came down from the roof as a welcome to the fans to the love town tour . The atmosphere was hot and sweaty , cups of water were thrown on us by the crew to cool us down , I remember just being lost in the music and the intimate size of the gig , in some ways before hand I felt the band might be almost too big for such a small venue in relative terms but they pulled it off like it was natural for them to be up close and personal. It was like they were at home. I will never forget that night , the best New Years eve I evey had , broadcast on radio to millions around the world including for the first time some eastern bloc countries and in some small way the band made me feel like I was part of history. That long walk back to the City centre of dublin from the point depot was like floating on a magic carpet, the musicial experience like an anaesthetic to other parts of life .....

U2 have stayed with me since then on my journey through life and I've been to countless other U2 gigs but none as pivotal as that one at that time in my life , I guess those songs on that night made some sense out of my world ......

My favorite concert memories are from May 4, 2001. That was the first night I got to see U2 very up close and personal, from the front row at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY. The story really starts a few weeks earlier, though, so let me set the stage a little bit before we get to the night of the show itself. See, I was living in Cincinnati, OH at the time, about 90 miles north of Lexington. I didn't have a car and money was tight. I'd been a U2 fan for a while at this time, and although I'd seen the band before, I had yet to enjoy the intimate, personal interaction I so craved; the kind that comes from having the greatest band on the planet just a few feet away while they rip through a set-list full of the kinds of songs that legends are built on; the kind where you're able to look the four men who formed that band 25 years earlier in the whites of their eyes and they return your gaze full on, nearly as eager to complete that connection as you are. That's what makes U2 the amazing live band that they are, after all - that great relationship that the band forge with each individual member of their audience on a nightly basis - but you already know all that, so I digress.

Anyway, I was desperate to see U2 from a vantage point like the one I described above, and I knew that the innovation of the heart shaped ramp at their Elevation tour shows might be the best chance I'd ever get, so I set all my will toward making that dream come true. First, of course, I needed a ticket to the show. I worked at a record store at the time, so I had some small connections in the city, both with those in the music industry and also with other professionals who could help me. All this time later, I'm embarrassed to say that I can't remember exactly how I came by the desired ticket, but suffice it to say that some kind soul really came through for me at a time when I really needed it.

The next step toward bringing my dream to fruition was transportation. I normally made my way around town on foot, and as I said earlier, Rupp Arena definitely wasn't within walking distance. I decided that if I could get to Lexington, the city that the band were playing in, I could get to the venue under my own steam, and I decided that the best, most cost effective method of travel for me would be to take the Greyhound bus. So, I spent several weeks saving every penny I could until I had enough to buy the needed bus ticket. At last, everything was now in place! My dreams were going to come true.

Looking back, it's a miracle that things came together as smoothly as they did. I'm sure you've all heard that old expression about "best-laid plans" - well, this was one of the rare occasions on which everything came together perfectly, and I'm so glad that it did. On the morning of the show, I got out of bed while it was still dark out and made my way down to the Greyhound terminal. If I remember correctly, the bus left the terminal just as the sun was starting to peek out, and the trip to Lexington took about two hours. I spent my time on the bus immersed in one of several mix-tapes I'd made specially for the day - all U2, of course. I specifically remember leaning against the window, watching the scenery whiz by while Bono's 1988 collaboration with T-Bone Burnett, "Purple Heart", played over my headphones.

Once I disembarked in Lexington, I bought some breakfast from a local McDonalds, then took a moment to get my geographical bearings. This was before GPS, of course, so I had taken some time the night before to mark my path from the bus terminal to the venue on my map, which I had carefully folded into the pocket on the leg of my cargo pants. Even knowing what road to walk, though, I still had to be careful to go in the right direction. After a couple of false starts, I found myself at Rupp Arena at about 9:45 in the morning. There were a few people there before me, but not many at all. If memory serves, I was number 12 in line that day.

I'd never been in a position before where I was surrounded by people with whom I shared a passion as dear to me as U2's music was (and still is) and I will probably never forget the people I met that day. The spirit of kinship was strong among the U2 fans that day, and I remember talking with various fans about a variety of topics - all revolving around the band - from past setlists to favorite concert videos. I recall that at some point during the day, someone bought several pizzas and shared them with everybody in the line. I also remember leaning back against the wall under the hot sun and drifting off to sleep after being there for several hours - I hadn't gotten a lot of sleep the night before!

We were all standing on a sidewalk that looked down onto a loading bay on one side, and at one point in the afternoon, someone shouted that Bono was coming. I ran to the railing and looked down, and sure enough, one of my heroes, wearing his camouflage green cap, was slowly walking up the hill from the lower stadium entrance to where all of us fans were gathered. Once he reached us, he stood and chatted with us for a few minutes, shaking hands and signing autographs. I snapped a few pictures from a distance, but was literally struck dumb when Bono shook my hand and spoke to me. I couldn't think of a single thing to say, so I just smiled and shook his hand vigorously.

Several hours later, we were finally let into the arena. I remember the mad rush to get inside, all of us jockeying for position. I ended up right against the railing, on the front row, so to speak, directly in front of Adam on the right side of the stage. PJ Harvey opened for U2, of course, and I enjoyed her set, but all I could concentrate on was that every second brought me that much closer to U2 taking the stage.

Finally, the time arrived and U2 walked out on stage to the strains of the pre-recorded Elevation remix that intro'd each show of the tour. Now, we know that that remix was called the Influx remix, but at the time it was unknown to me and I remember thinking that I had to get a copy of it somehow. I have several memories from the show but the two overriding ones are these: First, at one point during the show, in between songs, Adam, who had been watching me throughout the show, amused at my over-the-top enthusiasm, I'm sure, stepped back and whispered something to Larry, who then leaned out from behind his drum kit and looked at me, smiling. Maybe it was just the thrill of being that close to the band, but I've always thought that they were talking about me. Adam must have said something like "You've gotta check this kid out - he's going nuts with every song, having the time of his life" - and I absolutely was! The second strongest memory that I have of the show is of being moved to tears during "Bad". Such majesty and beauty that all the hardships of every day life, coupled with everything I'd gone through to get there and the joy of spending the day with others like myself just overwhelmed me and I stood there while the band played, tears streaming down my face, openly weeping. It sounds trite now, when I talk about it, but that probably remains the single most affecting moment of music in my entire life.

After the show, I was lucky enough to snag the set-list from a kind man who was starting the work of dismantling the stage. I then had about an 8 hour wait until the next bus back to Cincinnati. I spent the night walking up and down the streets of Lexington, listening to more of my mix-tapes, reliving the amazing experience I'd just been given over and over in my head. When the bus at last pulled into the Lexington Greyhound terminal the next morning, I was so exhausted that I fell asleep almost immediately upon boarding and finding a seat. I remember very little of the trip home, but it was a deep satisfied sleep that left me feeling refreshed and alive when I awakened just as the bus pulled into Cincinnati. As I said above, it's nothing short of miraculous that everything came together as smoothly as it did. For the next few days, whenever anyone would ask me how the concert was, I had one response that I gave over and over: "It was like being inside joy".

10518860_876060702406086_642124639221436

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=876060702406086&set=a.553641694647990.131590.100000064922556&type=1

The first concert of my life was you (U2) in São Paulo, Brazil 

First, second and third! 09/10 and 13 April 

It was a hard time have got to go to those concerts, I was afraid of not getting a ticket, was the dream of my life, thank God everything worked out. 

Slept in line to buy a ticket, which sold out in just minutes, and also slept for 4 days at the door of the Morumbi stadium, to see them up close! 

And if to do again, I would surely, all for the love of U2. 

The band that guide my life since I was born. 

I can only thank for you there. 

Thanks, Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry for everything!

#unforgettablegig #U2 #SOI

243954_187107531339870_3444423_o.jpg

220356_180227695361187_2228224_o.jpg

220892_185196084864348_4475441_o.jpg