Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

U2 / Pixies

Apr 12, 1992

Los Angeles Sports Arena, Los Angeles, CA, USA

I’ve been to at least 100+ shows but there were few that I looked forward to more than seeing the Pixies open for my favorite band, U2. In the weeks leading up to the concert, I contracted pneumonia! I was NOT about to be stopped and the day before the show, had regained some of my strength.

The day of the show, feeling completely terrible, my twin brother dragged me around the venue, and helped me to the seats.

Oddly enough, by the time The Pixies left the stage, I felt superhuman. As Zoo Station kicked in, I felt like I was floating. Exhaustion? Perhaps. I prefer to think I was healed by The Fly…

My first U2 gig was popmart somewhere in October 1997 at the Skydome in Toronto. I was about (aboot as they say in Canada) 5 rows from the top of the dome, real nose bleeders. My girlfriend ended up falling asleep through third eye bind, she had worked a 12 hour shift before the concert. Luckily the monitors were huge so I could see the stage.

Since then I have been lucky to see the boys 10 times. All with my girlfriend now wife, dragging her along on as many shows as I can get tickets for. Post September 11, show in Hamilton, Ontario, home of producer Danny Lanois, was unbelievable. Emotions were high and I even shed tears through "Streets". Following the concert we got stuck in the parking garage elevator till a mechanic came and let us out around 1am.

2005 we headed for 2 shows at Croke park, Dublin, got in the middle of the inner stage, again raining, jet lagged, hungry and excited. Had the best pizza ever at Apache pizza outside Croke Park. Then tried to hail a cab back to our hotel up by the airport. Ended up walking half way there finally got a cab somewhere around Drumconda area. Second show on the Monday met a couple from Glasglow ended up they loved Coronation street.

Finally last show of 360 in Moncton, was a huge mud hill, slipped in my crocs slide down the hill. It was my daughters first U2 show, so she thought it was so funny watching people fall down the hill in mud while in complete darkness.

#UnforgettableGig

It was my first gig and obviously the beginning of my musical journey with the 4 guys from Dublin as U2 is the soundtrack of my life, period.

May 27th, 1981 Toads Place, New Haven CT.

I was a 16 yo 'preppy punk lite' from Newtown CT, sneaking in a with a couple guys with our fake ID's. (not as cool as sneaking in the side door to see the Ramones, but still quite similar ;)

We got there late and the first thing I actually heard was Adam prepping then starting OOC, awesome thump. I eventually fell in love with the whole band, but it was the rhythm that captured me at Toads...it was indeed, the most beautiful sound I ever heard!

34 years and 100+ concerts later, I celebrated my 50th Birthday on 10/1 but before that, I get a pre-birthday gift in my iTunes and 500 million of my friends apparently did too, holy crap, most awesome marketing move since the beginning of the internet!

And all for my birthday, cool!

Thanks U2 and U2.com, great idea for a contest!

Unfortunately it was a time of no cell phones/digital cameras so only have the memory and set-list> 

http://u2station.com/tours/1981/05/may-27-1981---new-haven-connecticut-usa---toads-place.php

My first ever concert was actually U2 during the PopMart Tour in  1997 in Philadelphia on June 8, 1997. It was a night I will never forget. I was 16 and a sophomore in high school. I went to a very large school and didn't have a whole lot of friends. Making friends was something that has always come hard to me. I was the ugly duckling of the class of 1999 and was always made fun of for numerous reasons. I found peace in listening to U2 and their music. I was too young to see them in 1992 on the Zoo TV Tour, so when they announced the dates for PopMart, I just knew I had to go. My older brother was the one who got me into the band and we got tickets for the show. I was so excited that I was finally going to see them live. Their music when I listen to it takes me away from the hurt that I endured in school, and took me somewhere. When my brother and I went to the show, I was so blown away. It was one of the best nights of my life and to finally sing songs live that meant so much to me was a dream come true. Every time I went to school and had a bad day, I would just think of that night and it would all just go away. I am so grateful to U2 for giving me that and that night made the rest of my teen years so much more bearable to live. I owe my life to that night and to this band. I don't have a photo of my brother and me at the show, but I do still own the ticket stub to this day and cherish it.

post-287348-0-98966500-1412632754_thumb.jpg@U2sjerseygirl

Edited by lauramullen

The magical concert I remember was U2 Elevation -tour in Torino, 21th of July  2001, and was my first big concert of my life. My partner has been following them since 1983 and he saw the 1st tour of U2 in Italy. For me the elevation tour was the first and unforgettable one.Since that time I 've never lost a tour in Italy, and  the funniest  was 360°Tour in Milan , the 8th of july 2009. The stage was the biggest I've ever seen and people was wonderful. I think feelings I felt are difficult to feel again.I saw Bono and the others very very close and I was happy as a child!But the only Tour still remains the first, the one in Torino, because I didn't believe an energy like the U2's power was possible all over the world.When I was younger I could never go to see a concert because I had n't much money to travel and to pay and the fist time I went I was 33! But with eyes of a child who watchs for the fist time Heaven. I was a fan of U2 but I only saw them on tv ..it was marvellous I'll never be tired to repeat.U2 sang three songs more over the usual bis and it was the first and only time they did so. Was it for me? Naturally not, but I want to believe it. the day after we knew Bono had a little collapse for stress because of the long time he sang and run! A grat man, a grat group and a wonderful memory.

post-564701-0-94187500-1412632467_thumb.jpg

post-564701-0-60934400-1412632714_thumb.jpg

post-564701-0-25837600-1412632809_thumb.jpg

In summer 85 my mate took me to Milton Keynes to see a little known band head the longest day concert.It was the first gig I ever saw.i witnessed bands like the faith brothers ,REM and a very pissed off billy Bragg .I was also lucky enough to see the Ramones( wasJoey there?)the brilliant Kirk Brannon(of the awesome spear of destiny )and then ,when the rain stopped a concert that will never leave me....a young U2....wire ...-amazing.a sort if homecoming -unforgettable .pride ,bad ,MLK-----it was an experience I will not forget.

Best live band ever,love every breaking wave"

We are all getting old boys,ur stuff will be played for years.

Alan U2 fan

Foxboro Mass. September 20,2009. I've been a fan of the band since the day in the early 80's when my little brother(16) came home with an album from some "punk" band from Ireland(home of my ancestors) called U2. The album was "Boy". Didn't pay much attention to it until I heard "Into the Heart". Since that time I've been hooked. I have loved and followed and listened to U2 music for over 3 decades. Since that time I married the love of my life and I am the proud father of two college age boys(18)&(21) yrs old respectively. U2 music was always playing in our house. Both my sons were interested in music at a young age. They both played in the orchestra and bands at their school. From Elementary right through to H.S.Graduation. One a violinist. The other a French Horn player. It was brutal at first. But they are now both really good. They both became fans of U2 by proxy. They would sing along with me and my wife(not very well I might add). We'd dance around playing air guitars and drums. The youngest one with his Bono sunglasses. The first "pop" music they tried to play on their instruments was From a U2 music book. it sounded bad at first. But with practice,became to sound pretty good. The oldest son is now proficient in guitar. The youngest still in love with violin. They play music because of U2. Fast forward to Sept 20,2009. I'm sitting there watching the band. My two boys are up dancing,singing every song word for word. I'm like wow. The band has transcended a generation. Their hooked! I could have never imagined myself attending an Al Jolsen concert with my Dad. But here I am with my two sons. What an awesome feeling.

1976 - 15 years old, tickets in hand for "A Star is Born".  No transportation from Phx to Tempe, so the thumb goes out, on a Friday evening none the less, as we want to be there when the gates open Saturday morning.  A true line party, throughout the night into the early morning. Anticipation equalizes any party effects :)  5am gates open, and a flood of people rush Sun Devil Stadium (in 76 it was just a small bowl, no upper tier).  We race to claim our turf, and with the sun coming over the horizon, "Here Comes the Sun" is piped over the PA.  What a rush.  Noon, man I need help staying with it. Peanut Butter Cookies and mothers little helper, what? no water, damn, time to crunch away.  almost 40 years later, and the image of storming the field lives on forever.  All great concerts will leave a lasting impression, and this one most certainly did!  Rock On fans!

In late september 1997 in a small playground of a neighborhood in my hometown Genova Italy me and my friends join an epic concert of an Italian band named Timoria. I'm sure none of you ever heard about them but in the late nineties they really had something special.

The venue was a mess, an old soccer ground after a big storm, after a few minutes we were covered of mud and soaking wet. The band was amazing, their singer Francesco Renga (Now a single artist in Italy with a different and romantic style) tried to stage dive but he was so drunk he didn't make to come back in stage for minutes.. I don't know if i remember that night so much for the music, or the mud, or the friends i had with me or maybe cause i was a 19 years old who found his very personal little woodstock in his hometown, following the dream of being part of a rock event no matter how big or small. I remember walking out of that bloody soccer field, cold and wet, with no voice left with my friends still singing songs that we and some thousands people only knew but knowing that we had part of something really special. That was the first of many gigs, U2 (more than 10 times), Muse, Rem, the Boss but if have to tell i know that first one is really the most special, those were my songs of innocence and still are, the most beautiful sound i ever heard.

30th April 1989 16 years old. A close friend of mine has a spare ticket to The Mission Lockerbie Appeal Benefit gig at Carlisle Sands Centre due to another friend of his being grounded for some reason that I can not recall and offers it to me! I'm thinking might as well take up the offer as I'm not doing anything better and I had never ever been to see a band live before so I was in. 

At this point in my teenage years I was a short back and sides, triple denim, doc martins possible Bros lookalike, so when we arrived and I was swamped by the Goth army it was a bit intimidating and just before the show we were in the bar area and an older girl shouted at me in front of loads of other people 'Bros isn't on tonight ya know' which spurred my discomfort a bit further.  

However once the gig was in action my discomfort disappeared with a bang and I was just like everyone else in the room, a music lover being blown away by a great band playing amazing live tracks. 

Musically the gig changed my life, but it also signalled the end of my school years and some of the best friends I ever had! And even though it was a first time amazing experience for myself, I sometimes look back with a tinge of sadness due to the connection to the Lockerbie Disaster and the friends that have left my life since then.

Not got any photo's as it was back in the day when you lived the experience from memory, not how many times you can stick your camera phone in the air & that's probably why it's a gig I remember so well. 

This was the set list;

Beyond the Pale
Wasteland
Butterfly on a Wheel
Serpent's Kiss
Like a Hurricane
Amelia

Belief

Kingdom Come
Deliverance
Tower of Strength
The Crystal Ocean
Sacrilege

Grapes of Wrath

Mr. Pleasant
Child's Play
Pretty Vacant
Shelter From the Storm
Rain
Shelter From the Storm

And a bit of video, old skool of course. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrHKV1VW8fc&feature=youtu.be #unforgettablegig          

Edited by agt

Two Concert Shows of Innocence  

Growing up, 37 years ago, I was 12 years old. I had my first record player. My first single came from my sister. It was the Beatles REVELOTUION with B-side of HEY JUDE. I remember getting the record player and going to the store to purchase my first record. I did not know what to get but I saw the Album KISS ALIVE, and thought it looked cool. I remember bringing the album home and was mesmerized by the cover. I remember listening for hours to the music and looking at the book insert that came in the record. I must have read it 1,000 times. For my 12th birthday, KISS DESTROYER was released and the same sister that gave me the Beatles 45, took me with her boyfriend to a KISS concert. It was in Florida and unlike anything I had ever seen. I had no idea how LOUD it would be. I remember my sister telling me that when KISS came on stage that I just sat there and watched in amazement. I remember after the show getting a program and t-shirt. That concert changed my life because that was the day that propelled me into a music listening journey that would last for a lifetime. I also learned how to play the drums as a result. I remember defending KISS in high school and then heading to college. I was on a bus ride to a swim meet and one of the guys introduced me to the band U2. At the time, I was stuck in the rock and roll world. However, as a few years progressed and my listening changed, I grew enjoy U2 as a favorite band. I remember taking a road trip from St. Cloud State University to the Twin Cities to see U2 play on the Joshua Tree tour.  I remember Bono belching out the lyrics….

You take the staircase to the first floor
Turn the key and slowly unlock the door
As a man breathes into a saxophone
And through the walls you hear the city groan

I was hooked.  I remember getting this oversized gray t shirt with a huge U2 across the entire chest.  I wore the shirt all of the time and wore it out!   I have been a U2 fan ever since. My musical tastes continue to change but U2 brought me into the realm of music with a message. As far as photos are concerned, digital cameras were not invented yet so no photos to share.  Two remarkable events that were turning points in my “songs of innocence” which today is filled with wonderful music. Thanks U2!

It's evening 10th September 2010. I'm nervos.

Tomorrow! Tomorrow I want to celebrate my birthday with U2 in Zurich.

Zurich, over 500 kilometres away.

Want to sleep some hours. I lie in the bed. I can't sleep, so nervos.

Time does not go by. 11 p.m. I take a shower.

A friend will come on 12. a.m. when I have birthday.

Now 12 a.m., he is there and we have cake and coffee. after my wife and parents have congrulatated me, I will drive to Zurich.

1:30 a.m. Navigation System ready. Here I go, let's drive. I want to be early in Zurich. First row, I want between Edge and Bono.

Tune in the Radio, cool Music on the usb-stick. I hear a Radio Show from the BBC, Highlights from the London gig in 2009.

Yeah, I love this tour. My 5th 360 Show Begins in a few hours.

A short stop at a gas Station near from Stuttgart. Eating, Smoking and refuel.

7 a.m. Hello Zurich. I'm there. Where is the Stadium? Ahh, there are fans. Asking them where I can park the car. Okay.

7:30 a.m. hurry up to the Stadium. There where 20 or 25 fans.

I have a folding chair in one Hand, a bag with water and Sweets in the other.

Oh, there is a gate open. I go in. On my right side security-mens. They look at me, but they talk to each other.

Marcel, be cool. They think that I am a worker for drinks or something.

Yes, Mission complete. It is 7:45 a.m. and I sit in the Stadium. I'm thirsty. Okay, some water.

Calling my father in Germany.

Then I take some Pictures and a short Video of the empty Stadium. Now I go to the GA and the stage. Nobody is there, only a motorist and his trucks. I go to the restrooms, because I had drunken to much water.

Should I stay here until the gates are open? Too much chemical smell here, puh, and it's getting warm.

I left the door. A security-man Keep me. What am I doing here? I say, that I want to the concert and Show him my ticket. He is very angry. Go out of the Stadium, he said.  Then I go out of the Stadium.

The security-Boss grumbles to the other security-mens at the gate of the Stadium.

8:15 a.m. I am at the other fans. Now waiting.

My folding chair and my bag are still in the Stadium. Damn, nothing to drink. Still waiting.

3:45 p.m. the gates are open. Taking the legs in the Hands and go, run, run :-)

Well done. Breathing, breathing. Yeah, I am in the first row.

Great to see One Republic, the sunset, and now U2.

Wicked birthday to stand in the first row between The Edge and Bono, especially when Bono says "Happy New Year" during "where the streets have no Name".

He sees my t-shirt with the sentence "Today!!! My Birthday-Party!!!"

Unforgettable Birthday-Party. Thank you very much U2 !!!!!

There's only one Thing, what would be the greatest in my life. Meet the Band with a small talk, taking Pictures and get autographes.

Maybe someday!

post-363788-0-22303000-1412635916_thumb.jpg

post-363788-0-87897300-1412635924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marcel76

It wasn't my first concert, or the first band I had ever seen, but it was U2.

And it was a night I would never forget.

As a young kid, the melodies of The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby were planted in my subconsciousness long before I could appreciate them. It wasn't until my late teens that these melodies revisited me, and have never left my side since. I had just started a new band, and it was U2's music that provided the drive to do so. It wasn't until the North American Vertigo Tour in 2005 that I would get to see the band that hadn't left my headphones in years. I was going to see my favorite band U2 for the first time. Tickets were purchased, car was packed. My bandmates and I were beyond excited.

The goal was to experience U2 live for the first time. What also happened, I never would have expected in a million years.

My bandmates and I got to the Meadowlands in East Rutherford bright and early on the day of May 18, 2005. Clamoring to meet our heroes, we decided to poke around the arena and look for a back entrance for a chance to run into Bono and the boys. We arrived at the back gated entrance, and after a matter of minutes, a shiny black SUV pulled up beside us.

The door opened, and our hearts nearly stopped. For once in our lives, we were in the right place, at the right time. Bono stepped out and greeted us. We told him all about our punk rock band from New Jersey, and how much inspiration the songs of U2 had on us. After a few minutes of standing eye to eye with the singer of the biggest band in the world, Bono had left to enter the venue. The only thing we could think about is how this day could not get any better..

Well.. It got better..

For nearly two hours, we sang and we sweat to the music of U2. "It's alright.. It's alright.. It's alright!" we sang at the top of our lungs, as Bono walked down the ellipse and spotted us in the crowd, giving us a head nod as we sang along in unison. We were being recognized by our favorite band on the planet. This was by far the best concert experience of our lives.

And you won't believe what happened next..

The encore had been nearly completed, when the lights went down, and Bono's shadowy figure came walking in our direction. Our hearts began to race in disbelief. Bono kneeled down, reached out and pulled us onto the ramp that led back to the stage. I will never forget Bono whispering in my ear and asking me if we wanted to come on stage and jam with U2. I could tell you what I said in response, but honestly, I don't even remember. 

What I do remember is performing "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" live onstage that night, together with the members of my band and U2. My band The Bank Robbers joined our idols in front of over twenty thousand people at the Continental Airlines Arena on the night of May 18, 2005. To this day, it was the greatest night of my life. It all seems like such a blur. One of those amazing experiences you only dream about. That night, my dream became real. It was even covered in Rolling Stone Magazine later that month.

U2TBR2

U2TBR1

U2TBRRS

What an amazing, surreal moment. 

One that I surely never get tired of telling people about.

-Rob Nardone

The Year: 1991

The Place: The Palace, Hollywood CA
The Band: Nirvana...

Background: 
May 1991, phone rings at my apt in Hermosa Beach, it's my friend telling me a group called 'Nirvana' was coming to LA and we should get tickets. "Never heard of them" I said, "who are they?" Well, "they are from the Seattle area and heard they are kick ass live". Good enough for me. Tickets purchased for $15. 

Aug 1991. Smells Like Teen Spirit is released for radio. Had not heard a song on first play more electrifying since "Where the Streets Have No Name". The song is immediately picked up by my favorite station KROQ and goes into HEAVY rotation. Every time it comes on, whether house or car, the volume goes max. It is song that to this day just focuses, resonates and demands attention with that opening riff.

Sept 1991. Video hits MTV. Now the television's speakers are being regularly stretched to the breaking point.

Oct 27th 1991. Night of the concert. Nirvana is officially THE phenomenon in the town that creates artificial phenomenons. Only this isn't artificial - It is Beatlemania for a post-punk generation - and it's real. Just getting into the Palace is a chore. There must have been over a thousand people just hanging out in front; that is about twice the number of people who can squeeze into that SRO box. People, asking, begging, pleading for extra tickets. I turned down a $100 offer on a $15 ticket! Nirvana hits the stage. It's an amped atmosphere... The crowd is pushed to the max - I am nearly front center and can see six rows of people just offstage in the wings. Celebrity, corporate types who have shown up with fevered fans to see live what all this noise is about....

Kurt is on full growl to yowl. Krist is playing, banging his bass in that lanky, rangy style of his and is also shoeless. Dave is beating the drums like they owe him money - not sure I ever saw his face with that hair of his... The raw emotion and physicality from the mosh leaves people drained, exhausted, dragging toward the exits while leaning on each other - grins and happy grunts all around. I know of only one other band who leaves its fans with that kind of adrenaline release...

Here is the pic of my ticket stub I saved all these years and that is a 28 year old me, second face off Kurt's left hip. This picture never ceases to bring a smile to my face.

R.I.P. Kurt Cobain and thank you for a concert memory of a lifetime. 

post-342533-0-87162600-1412636248_thumb.jpg

post-342533-0-90434400-1412636293_thumb.jpg

it was 1986. a friend of mine asked me to go to see the cramps in toronto with him. it wasnt really into it but figured what the heck, i'll go. on the way down in the car, one of the other passengers dropped a little something extra into my beer. at first i was upset and then figured i will just go with it and maybe it will make it a more enjoyable night. when we arrived i was peaking and just buzzing along. we walk in and screaming blue messiahs have just hit the stage. wow, absolutely blown away by their energy!!! they are chugging along and just driving over the crowd. unbelievable live show!!! they finish up and im still having a great time when the cramps hit the stage. not sure if everyone has seen them in concert before but what an amazing show!! lux interior was dressed in gold shiny suit with red pumps. by the end of the set, he has stripped down to just gold lamay underwear and his red pumps and proceeds to swallow the mike and drink a bottle of red wine at the same time. one of the weirdest, funnest show i had ever been to. have never forgotten this show!!!!

David Bowie

Montreux Jazz Festival

July 18, 2002

My friend Isa and I headed to Montreux to see David Bowie perform at the Montreux Jazz Festival. It was the first (and only) time I ever saw David Bowie in concert, so I didn’t know what I was in for. Expectations were high to be seeing such a legendary performer in such a legendary setting, and there was an incredible buzz of anticipation in the audience when we arrived at the venue.

We actually arrived quite late, but the doors were still closed. The Stravinsky Auditorium is the main venue at the Montreux Jazz festival, and it has multiple doors on all sides. Just after we arrived, the crew very unexpectedly opened only one door into the auditorium, which was precisely the door where we were waiting. Seizing this opportunity of a lifetime, we moved quickly and ended up front row center along with the lucky few who had been standing and waiting at the same door.

What happened next is impossible to describe in words. The concert was mesmerizing from beginning to end. David Bowie’s performance was otherworldly, and his stage presence was electrifying. I had seen numerous concerts before, and many more since then (including many incredible U2 shows such as the tiny Man Ray club show in Paris in 2000), but that night will forever top them all. Everything was perfect - location, sheer luck, sound, performance, set list. In fact, after a full two hour set, Bowie returned to perform the entire “Low” album as an encore. One of his most cherished records, and of course one of his Berlin albums from the late 70s, recorded at Hansa studio, which was to become a pivotal location for U2 a little over a decade later.

This concert was so incredible that we forgot to take pictures. Though we managed to get a setlist from the stage after the show…

post-390389-0-79760700-1412636517_thumb.jpg

Well, my best memory is about the last U2 gig in Sao Paulo, Brazil, April-2011. I met great friends while in the line around the Stadium before the show, and after three years we're still good friends, despite the distance between us (If you don't know, Brazil is a continental nation, and some of them live thousand miles away from me).

Hours before the second concert, the unforgettable April-10 (Out of Control, Zooropa, North Star... if you know what I mean...), at sunday morning, me and other two friends (one of them I met the day before) went on a helicopter and ride above the beautiful city of Sao Paulo... AND the Morumbi Stadium! That was insane!!!!!

Just one thing I can't understand, from those days til' now, WTF my girlfriend agreed to keep our relationship, even after I was in public with my MacPhisto costume. It was quite embarrasing, I know...  

mosaico_zps4f147b38.jpg

Vagner Giacomazzi

Tietê, São Paulo - Brazil

October 15, 2012. It's my last day in Glasgow, Scotland, and the concert I traveled across the Atlantic Ocean is about to begin. How did I get here?

My freshman year in high school was concluding, but my love for a particular band had only begun. I discovered the two girl indie duo BOY on Facebook, when I pressed play on a YouTube video that would change my life. It was their single "Little Numbers" that I couldn't stop replaying. It was just so catchy, and fun to listen to. I loved the song so much, and I just wanted more of their music.

A month or two passed, and they released their first album Mutual Friends in Europe. I went on eBay to purchase their new album the first day I saw it was up for sale. Once it finally came in through the mail from Switzerland, I received an album I couldn't resist to stop playing.

BOY's album Mutual Friends gave me a whole different way to look at all the things in my life. Valeska Steiner's beautiful voice graced my ears, along with Sonja Glass' lovely backup singing voice. The lyrics they wrote were down to earth, impacting, and sincere. Their music struck me like no other band has done before (other than U2!), and their music changed my life by building me as a more nicer, soothing, calm person I am today.

One day, I was looking through their tour dates, for I was dying to see them play live in concert. They were playing a few European gigs, but opening for the lovely Georgian-British singer Katie Melua in many European gigs. I noticed a gig that stood out the most to me: The Glasgow Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow, Scotland. I looked up some pictures of Glasgow, and the city looked beautiful. Then I thought to myself 'how amazing would it be to see BOY in Glasgow, Scotland?' Sure, it seemed like the impossible, but I thought I'd ask my father for the heck of it.

I went to my father sometime in late June, and told him the concert date, and where it would be taking place. He couldn't believe I was asking him such a question, but then he even thought to himself "that would actually be pretty cool." October 15 is close to my birthday (October 23, 1996), and I told him that it would be the best birthday present ever. After days and days of discussing about it and doing research on how to get there, my father decided to make my dream come true.

He booked a plane ride for the just the two of us leaving to Glasgow, Scotland on Friday October 12, 2012, and purchased the tickets through the internet. We would leave the day after the concert, making it a 3 day stay in Glasgow, Scotland, and ending the trip with the concert.

Here we are in Glasgow, Scotland. We landed safely on Saturday, October 13, and we spent that day and Sunday running around Scotland.  On the last day, we went to the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall to see BOY open for Katie Melua.

Their performance was excellent. It was just Valeska Steiner and Sonja Glass playing their beautiful songs with two acoustic guitars, and a MAC laptop playing the drums. They only played for a half hour, but it was one of the best 30 minutes of my life. Katie Melua also played a lovely concert.

Once the concert concluded, I hung around the lobby of the concert hall. I bought another copy of their album, hoping they would come out to the merchandise counter to sign some items.

Moments later, they did.

They signed a few autographs for fans, and then I approached them. I told Valeska and Sonja I came all the way from the United States just to see their opening gig, and how big of a fan I am of their music. They were so kind, and were thrilled to see one of their fans come from such a far distance to see them play. We took a picture together, talked for a while, I gave them a hug, and I went back to my hotel for my last night in Scotland.

The next day, they went on their Facebook page, and thanked me for coming out to their show. I printed it out, and it is hanging in my room.

When I was talking to them, they let me in on a little secret: they were about to book some gigs in the United States. They said if they ever came, they would love to see me again.

A month later, they announced an acoustic tour across small venues in the United States. They announced a Philadelphia date, and I bought tickets for the whole family.

I went to see them play a full hour and a half concert, and it was just as amazing as the first time. They sounded beautiful, and it was a lovely intimate concert.

When the concert was over, they said they would sign autographs in the lobby of the venue. I waited to be the last one, so I could get to talk to them again.

I approached the table where they were signing autographs, and right off the bat they remembered who I was. "MARK!" Sonja said, with a big smile on my face. "OH MY GOSH!" Sonja said, with the same reaction.

I couldn't believe it. The band that I loved so much to listen to, and one that impact my life in a great way remembered who I was. I gave them a hug again, and we chatted for a little while.

The BOY gig in Glasgow was an amazing experience, and one that I will never forget. And it still amazes me that of all the places they have been to and fans they met, they still recognized me.

I thank BOY for their beautiful music, and the concert experience that I shall remember forever.

178608_533061956708225_1269621156_o.jpg882744_619370291410724_399636071_o.jpg

I live in New York City & back in the 1990's I worked for HMV Records on West 72 Street on the Upperwest side & I was talking to one of my co-workers on the main sales floor about U2 & she was telling me how much she loved Larry Mullen.

As she goes back to her department to go back to work guess who comes walking in wearing all black with his sleeves rolled up, Larry Mullen !!!

He picks some cd's then goes to our customer service desk to pay for them. He then signed a a few autographs, chats for a moment & then shakes hands ( including mine) & leaves the store.

My co-worker comes back to the main sales floor a few minutes later & she thinks I'm joking when I told her Larry Mullen was just in the store. She soon realized I was telling the truth when customers were telling people they meet Larry Mullen.

Talk about Unforgettable Fire.

I don't have an early gig with photos which I can recount, as when I was a kid I had a very sheltered life. I grew up in a very orthodox jewish family and had no clue of the outside world culture.So no rock, no art, not pop culture at all.  

One day a friend have me a tape of Areosmith's "Dream On", it blew me away. my eyes opened up for the first time, I could not believe how fantastic this alien sound was, it opened me up to things, music, culture totally foreign to me.  Ever since I have loved to see and feel things that are new and different to me.  Music is a universal language and U2 are the pied piers that lead the way....and i blissfully follow

A precious moment introducing the U2 Live experience to my son. It is July 2005; U2's Vertigo Tour.

Wow imagine 3 concert in Amsterdam. You know I'm a Dutch fan. What a treat to have these much in your little country. As all time fan heading up for as much concerts as possible, but limited to be within budget reach. Damn got way to less concert tickets for this tour. Germany 2 times; Netherlands 2 times, not even 3 times for the Netherlands! but only for 2 dates in a row; 13th and 15th of July the Amsterdam Arena; but the ideal venue the tour caravan stops by for me as Dutch fan; the less travel the more concerts. But unfortunately less budget.

13th and 15th July 2005:

Fantastic concerts, however sound issues in this big hall....where are the times the good old stadium De Kuip in Rotterdam was used as the ultimate venue. Thinking back to a big gigs I have seen there. Nonetheless the pleasure to see, hear, feel and EXPERIENCE U2 was the ultimate goal and again was more than awesome.

16th July 2005:

Thinking about how to get at the 3rd date concert the 16th of July. Decided to go, see to get tickets for reasonable price and from trusted source.....that´s a silly thought on the date of the concert. Moreover because I decided to take my 14 year old son with me which again makes up 2 tickets needed. Nevertheless as having a father being big fan and collector, he had been infected yet by the U2 virus for a long time and the time had come.....

As expected no tickets, but decided to sit outside the Amsterdam Arena in something that looks like a corridor. Pretty near to one of the Arena entrances. The concerts starts+ wow unbelieve sound outside the Arena so much better than within. But missing the chance to be part of the incredible and ecstatic audience we hear makes us somewhat sad.

Suddenly as if it was planned for us it looks like the entrance we were sitting near was not secured. No moment of hazitation and running to the entrance. Stairs up as fast as possible; seeing security personell running downstairs from the stairs of another entrance; Lucky bastards we are even no security upstairs. We succeeded to be in the Arena without tickets for this 3rd night show in Amsterdam.

This was the first U2 concert for my son. Both he and I full of adrenalin due to what just happened; I bet the band must have heard us on stage at least our beating hearts. What a great, great feeling this evening has given us. And the best part of it: the looks of my son being part of this great family of outrageous fans during the gig .... as if he was drugged. Yeah right: ADRENALIN!!!

well it was over 40 years ago when my friend Billy Goldman took me into NYC to a concert hall called The Academy Of Music in Sept. 1973 to see a band that me and Billy were playing in our set list called King Crimson. On the bill was Spooky Tooth with Mick Jones on guitar and Mike Harrison on vocals and they played stuff from their new album "You Broke My Heart.... So I Busted Your Jaw" and when they played the track "Moriah" I was in awe of how great a band can sound. Then came Strawbs with Cousins, Hudson & Ford and Blue Weaver and Lambert on guitar and as much as loved their songs the mix was lousy and alot of feedback and Dave Cousins Bitching. But then  Crimson appeared with John Wetton, Bill Bruford, David Cross and the wild man of borneo Jamie Muir on everything that wasn't nailed down. They played all of Larks Tongue and enchored with 21 century schitzoid and didn't go to school the next day because when we got home classes already started. Hope I win because I live on ss. disabilty and miss the good ol days.

It was 2009, I was 14 years old and had never been to anything that I considered to be a "real" concert. My dad was out of town and my mother and sister and I were home. My mom new that Bob Dylan was playing the Santa Barbara bowl that night. The Bowl fits maybe two or three thousand people- it's small. I hadn't ever listened to Bon Dylan. In fact, I thought he wasn't any good at all. I didn't understand how anybody could like his music. For some reason, and despite the show being sold out, my mom sister and I drove to the venue and asked the box office of any tickets were left. They had 3. We bought them on the spot and went in. His voice was incomprehensible. He croaked. But I was hooked, despite being unable to recognize a single tune. I've been a lifelong Dylan fan & believer ever since. That was the first show to change my life.

SOI_giveaway01_zpsda570dd5.jpg

This is a great opportunity for fans to grab a copy of this super rare vinyl release, and this topic is where you need to add your entry.

Full details of the offer & requirements can be found here : http://www.u2.com/news/title/vinyl-special

"What we're looking for from you is a vivid memory of an early gig - or a show that changed your life. 

Could be the first band you saw... or just one you'll never forget. 

Anything strange or wonderful take place - or was it a total let-down ? 

Did you meet them backstage after the show - or have you never listened to them again? 

Extra points if you can include a photo of the night - with your mates or with that weird hairstyle you had at the time or of the poster promoting the gig. 

We'll publish some of the best entries on the site and our favourites from U2.com subscribers will receive one of these special Songs Of Innocence vinyl LP's. (You can still enter if you're not a subscriber - we've blagged a few other Songs of Innocence prizes too.) 

Post your pictures / links to the story up on social media (Twitter / FB / Instagram etc) using the hashtag #unforgettablegig and enter in (..this thread..).

Entries close on Friday October 17th."

Please keep this topic for ENTRIES ONLY : and any discussion about entries, questions etc, please post in the Discussion thread - best of luck to all

Mexico City, December 2, 1997. Pop Mart.

Front row seat, no ticket. Left of the catwalk. 19 years old, it was my second time seeing U2. Second tour in Mexico, five years apart.

I purchased my ticket six months before, had to sleepover on sidewalk to get tickets. Seven friends bought them together, but on the day of the event we just couldn't get together to arrive at once. I got there around two hours before they started, no cel phones, just trying to get a glance of someone that might have arrived. Got into the stadium started walking to my seat, which was floor but all the way to the other end of the stage.

No one had arrived yet, all 6 seats were empty, got myself a beer. Started roaming around, got to see Paul Mcguinness interviewed in front of the stage. About 45 minutes away from starting, Control Machete had just finished its slot, went back to my seat, had to cross about a hundred meters but still none of my friends were around. Thirty minutes to start I was getting really uptight and desperate. I was near the entrance and started walking close to the VIP sections, tickets were gold section and really high price at that time for a 19 year old. I saw a group of people with an usher getting themselves in to the section, I snuck with them, I was the last one getting in and as soon as the usher went back in front of the group I broke into the other direction and started walking straight to the front of the stage. I quickly sat in the middle of the fifth row, as there was no one there. Then I saw that an usher was coming towards me with a bunch of people, so I got up and went to the front rows getting all the way to first row. I sat there when all of a sudden more people came towards me, taking their seats, they came from left and right when boom! They stopped and I saw myself sitting between a girl and a guy. I was really stunned and numb, just waiting for the usher to come and pull me out, crying for them to shut the lights and to start. About thirty minutes went by since I got into the section, my head was spinning in disbelieve that I was in first row and the people surrounding me were not even cared or aware about me being there, miracle or what ever, please don't let anyone come and move me. Little did I know that early on, a major event would take place backstage that would find Mexico been sort of banned for U2 touring the following 9 years. 

Bono(The Boxer) and the gang entered climbing up the catwalk. Front row, standing on the chair singing and jumping, hugging my neighbors so that no One would fall, everyone was standing on those chairs.

No one came to pull me off that "empty" seat between two groups of people. Had one of my most memorable concert nights, just my second concert of all time. Now days you have to get bracelets and lots a things to get near.  My friends, I never found them that night and though I tried to pull the same stunt the next day, it was impossible, security was tough.

I grew up and got mentor by these guys.