Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

in 2005, Bring my oldest son, then he was 13, to his first ever concert. was a u2 concert in Toronto. We took the train from Montreal at 5 am. 5 hours later, we hit the big city, tour the city a little bit, went to the hockey hall of fame, went to the CN tower... all of that was really just an appetizer to what was happening next...a U2 concert, side stage, a little bit to high, but to see my son amazingly looking at everyone's singing u2 songs, participating to that big communion an be surrounded by that energy was something that I will never forget. since that day, he is now 21, he saw many other concerts, but that one was his first and still a vivid...actually, that´s kind of funny because just deep down once again in that souvenir is as much better than winning that vinyl...:-)

Life-changing or at least making a life-long "Fanship" of a band...It was waayyy...back in 1976 when my dad bought me ticket to Kulttuuritalo, Helsinki to see MUD.
Young chap that fell in love with the music and has been fan now for almost 40 years. This was so special because it is one rare occasion when Finnish Broadcasting
Company YLE filmed the gig and broadcasted it edited next year. I had my walls covered with posters and had all the cassettes and there I was...holding my little cassette
player - microphone in our living room to capture the tv-show on cassette and trying to keep my family quiet with all the 14-year old power I had.
The taping went reasonably well but the cassette has long been lost.
Ten years ago I learned that the footage is still somewhere in the archives of YLE and I ended up sending dozens of emails to various executives to beg-beg-beg for digitizing
or a tape-copy for my personal enjoyment. ...years passed with no luck and statements that the rights are not cleared....they doubted about the existance of the footage stating
that the tapes were perhaps used to film again...
Then my son got married. His mother in law worked for the company and my hopes rose...she started digging after my advice and FOUND the footage that existed in some
strange very old format. Couple of years passed since there was no easy way to transfer the footage to digital format. But HOPE WAS ON THE WAY.
Then the company outsourced their archives and format - transfers and I found one day a DVD of that footage in my mailbox!!!!!!
Old man was almost cryin'. I watched it over and over again and last month I contacted the Bassist of Mud who is now playing with Hollies via his son and got to meet him and
handed him a copy to treasure. Ray told me that this is the ONLY live footage of Mud now existing...I ended up chattin' with him for an hour pre-show in Helsinki.
He has watched the footage and enjoyed with his family to see his early gimmicks on stage....Here a screengrab of Ray and Rob from the footage and my meeting with Ray...994592_10151551287295881_1982938344_n.jp10435870_10152274359285881_4952550289297

I have to admit that to love this band is not easy. To see U2 up close I got to starve, thirst, cold, heat, fatigue, sleep, I was wetted by rain, I was roasted by the Sun, I did promises to God ... and I do not care, cuz after all it is worth. My #unforgettablegig was the 360º concert on 9th April 2011 in Brazil.

To see U2 live, I traveled for the first time alone and hidden from my father. Well, technically I have not hidden cuz I'd warned in December of 2010 that I would to the concert but he did not believe… On the day of sale for the first show I did not get the ticket that the site was selling and I just went into despair. When the band marked the second show, oh Gosh, I was filled with hope! But only missing 10 minutes for the sale of tickets: the source of my computer burned. Joke right?! I've cried again, I did not sleep, I did not eat. Hence I did a promise to God to see the concert, because I had faith that after all I could get it .

A girl from the fan club was selling a ticket from a friend who had some problems and she could not go to the concert. The ticket was for the red bleachers to the second concert on the 10th April. At the time, I said I wanted desperately and she sold me. Then she asked me if I wanted to change to the day 09th on the first concert. Then I freaked out! It was everything I wanted!

I took the flight at 08th April 2011, and I went to the home of a friend who would also to the concert on the day 09. Detail: only knew her by a social web. She and her husband were super good people with me and even seemed we to know each other for years ago. Then, at the day after we went to the stadium at 11 am o'clock. When I got there I was very cheeky and I jumped the queue (it's not so honest but please don't judge me and understand my despair: I'd traveled 1:30 hours of plane + 1 hour by bus + 20 minutes by train + 25 minutes by another bus + 15 minutes walking). It was the dream of my life and I really did not want to stay at the end of the crowd. Also I'm skinny, so I don't believe that I occupied so much space...

When I entered at the stadium ... What can I say? I've cried, called my mother at the cel and said to that I had been close the stage. Everything was magical from start to finish. Everything.  I really sobbed at the time of yellow and green balloons when the guys played Where The Streets Have No Name and I still remember with tears when I review the videos. My heart races when I review the entry of the band, as happened there. Unforgettable.

I arrived at my friend's house at 06:00 am on the day after and at 13:30 pm o'clock and went back to my city in another State. I already paid the promise that I made and meanwhile that, I studied for exams of Public Health would have at the next day in my College. I was all sore, hoarse with dark circles, but no matter. I WOULD DO THIS ALL  AGAIN !!! U2 is worth. Who is not a fan, you'll never understand this madness we feel for them. And just for them.

:rolleyes:

post-585281-0-34206300-1412656622_thumb.jpg

post-585281-0-87638300-1412656666_thumb.jpg

post-585281-0-93172600-1412656667_thumb.jpg

Edited by cynwildhoney

The most exciting concert I've ever been was the U2's 360° tour live in Milan, on july 7th, 2009. it was phenomenal with that huge Claw stage which was the biggest ever realized in the whole story of rock. I even created a handpainted T-shirt for my wife, who was with me for the first time at a U2 concert, to celebrate the event!
We'll never forget the power, the joy and the energy that those guys expressed in every word they sung, in every sound they played. They made all of us feel like an enormous group of friends sitting around a fire and singing songs we've always known. We were part of the show ourselves! Amazing! 
One of the most touching moment of that day was when Bono dedicated Party Girl to his daughter Eve, who was turning 18, and asked all the people at the stadium to celebrate her birthday singing a huge, coral ''happy birthday''.

Thank you all for the  big emotions you gave us!

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/unforgettablegig?source=feed_text&story_id=473885256085340

post-309397-0-69667900-1412661416_thumb.jpg

post-309397-0-94542100-1412704473_thumb.jpg

post-309397-0-36620400-1412704514_thumb.jpg

Edited by wenage

The date was Dec., 1987.  My wife and I were just starting out, trying to go to school and work at the same time.  We managed to afford our first CD player that year, and the first CD I had to purchase before I left the store was U2's "Joshua Tree," since we had worn out the vinyl copy we had.  We felt then, and we still do feel it is the greatest album of all time!  

We scrapped together enough money to see U2 live, but there's no way they would come to a little hole in the wall like the Hampton Coliseum in Virginia.  When they announced the tour dates, we were shocked to find out, not only were they coming to Hampton, but it would be the last two nights of the tour, before they moved on to Tempe, AZ to record what would become part of the "Rattle and Hum" movie.   We were ecstatic and pleasantly surprised; no one this big had visited our neck of the woods since The Who and the Stones!

Now to purchase tickets, since we would have to contend with most of the east coast for tickets.  We went to our local ticket outlet the night before, put our name down on a makeshift lottery list, and settled in for a long, cold night in our car.  This was a bit of a sacrifice since we were both in school. The tickets went quickly, but we were able to grab 2 tickets, and they were on the floor!  Now, the long wait until the concert night arrived.

Looking back now, it seems just a blur.  We don't remember them opening the show, but the BoDeans opened and eventually would become one of our favorite live bands!  What struck us as amazing about that night was we had to stand on our seats to see, because everyone in the Coliseum stood during that memorable night, all 10,000 of us.  We didn't stand because we were asked to, or begged to, or pleaded with, or because we had to; it was because we wanted to feel like we were part of the show.  I felt then, as I feel now, that was the closest to a religious experience that we had ever experienced outside of church! 

We have attended many concerts since then, including a dozen U2 concerts, but it remains our favorite of all time!

Thanks guys for some awesome memories.

James & Linda Dezern 

Funny you should ask today. My Father took me to my first show at Red Rocks Amphitheater, just a few years after U2 had their star turn there on their red, rainy night. The artist on my inaugural evening was Bob Dylan - and his opening band was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (whom I didn't know at the time).

If you've been lucky enough to attend a show at Red Rocks then you know. You know that this hallowed ground is a part of the performance and that it's really not like anyplace else. If you're in a seat near the top of the venue (Dad was worried about my ears) you can look over the top of the stage and see the twinkling lights of Denver in the distance. The view rests between these two towering sandstone sentinels (that give the place it's name) and they're joined with a moon rise on many a night. This night was no exception - it was stunning.

Well the point of me relating this unforgettable gig for me was that this Tom Petty band blew me away. I was drawn in immediately and I would say I was hooked on live music by the time they launched into their 3rd song. Late in their set, when the whole place went crazy for "Refugee", I was fully swept away (if you're reading and posting here, you we'll know how you can be lifted off your feet by the collective joy of the crowd for a song).

It turns out that after Tom Petty and his Heartbreakers finished their set, they were the house band for Bob Dylan's main set of the night. Dylan still sounded like Dylan at this time (in that the songs hadn't been rearranged into something unrecognizable - as they would be now) and it was close to magical to hear all the songs that Mom and Dad played on the phonograph, played live in such a setting by a living Legend and his band of maestros.

The 12 minute version of Knockin on Heaven's Door that was played as the last song of the encore, is still one of the most memorable moments of music that I've ever experienced.

With that night, the door had been opened. And now, 27 years later and 2200 + shows under my belt (yes, that concert helped firmly establish a "live music problem" that I endure to this day), I found myself at a Tom Petty show just LAST NIGHT, book ending all those shows and artists in between (including my greatest show ever, the Sunday night in '88 in Nov., that part of Rattle and Hum was filmed - in Denver's McNichols Arena (an arena that has since been razed).

So again, funny that you ask the question about an unforgettable gig tonight. Tom Petty and his Heartbreakers starting it all for me more than a quarter of a century ago. Then being the last band I've seen (in 24 hours) and them playing Refugee again last night. Keeping the circle going on something that has become a defining element of my life.

P.S. My six week old son is named Dylan

Thanks for providing the inspiration to write about this.

#unforgettablegig

Edited by jczaremba

Dear U2

My first ever show I attended was U2’s Popmart in Leeds in 1997. I was 14 years old and convinced my Dad to take me. We had to queue all night outside a record shop in Leeds – None of this mobile phone sponsored presale ticket bollocks back then. Come the day of the gig it was pissing it down, but that would not matter as it was and still is the finest show I have ever witnessed. It was Techno-Punk Rock and would shape my musical influence for decades. U2’s 1997 album Pop was far ahead of its time in terms of ideas and production and I was looking for other bands that had the Punk Rock n Roll spirit along with that Techno Beat. Primal Scream released XTRMNTR in 2000 and I got that buzz again in the same way just as I did with ‘Pop’ just magical, around that time I also fell in love with The Clash and Joe Strummers Mescaleros. Which coincided with high powered computers and the ability to record music at home and so I started to try a bit – I started sampling  beats and learnt to play guitar and I wrote a song called ‘Girls are Meaner Than Boys’ which did pretty well on MySpace. I did a few gigs and what-not but then I attended a show in London and that’s when everything changed – I don’t know why but it felt like all the planets aligned and focused on me for a split second then I rode the waves for a bit and all my dreams became true. It was June 2008 – Primal Scream and MC5 at the Royal Festival Hall in London, Usual gig with my best friend Pollock. Primal Scream opened up and played a stormer, MC5 we’re on second and then if it couldn’t get any better both MC5 and Primal Scream took to the stage and took the roof off. It was amazing. In one of the intervals I go to the toilet for a piss and I’m minding my own business as you do when I hear this voice “That’s got to be Rob Galloway if I have ever seen him”, I looked at my wanger and looked back and replied “My reputation precedes me, how can I help?” and the guy talking was called Pockets and he was Joe Strummers best mate and he invited me for a beer at the after party where Don Letts was DJ, We get talking and he says he has heard my music online and that Strummer would have loved it and can we agree to meet the next day, I couldn’t believe it. So as northerners with a severe lack of planning I convinced my mate to stay and we ended up staying on a sofa belonging to Ray Gange (The Clash’s Roadie and star of the film ‘Rude Boy’) in Brixton. We went to meet Pockets the next day in a boozer on Portobello Road where he was due to meet Lily Allen before heading to Glastonbury where she was playing with Mark Ronson. Pockets was telling me about the ‘Strummerville Foundation’ for which is he is a trustee and is run by Trish Whelan who used to work for U2 and the Pogues, and that they would like to help me. Pockets manages to convince Lily to let me on her Guestlist for Glastonbury and off we go – No tent, no ticket, nothing – but I survived. After the festival Pockets and Strummerville fulfil their promise of help by providing funding for my new band The Yalla Yallas debut album ‘ Act of Defiance’ it was an amazing experience.

4530-96433187358-4568837-n.jpg

10391515-164136492358-6849337-n.jpg

We recorded it back in Yorkshire but we did come down to The Clash’s Mick Jones place where he was doing a Rock n Roll Library of all his memorabilia and we played live and recorded some songs, It was magical to be surrounded by Joe’s lyrics on the wall, Pockets was telling me first hand stories of Joe, Joe’s dog who is called Fender the Punrock Warhound was walking around my feet as I’m singing my lyrics, Trish was telling me her stories of her days working for U2, I think she even got me on the phone to Flood for a bit. It cemented my faith in Rock n Roll, and the way in which U2 have spoken recently about their love for The Clash reminds me of these days and  I just thought that I’d share with you my story and let you know that those boys are still giving people a leg up to this day. Here is a little video we made of our first single ‘Retaliation (Doesn’t Make It Alright)’ there is a little nod to you guys in there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RABJfCxCeg

P.S. Let us know if you need a support band for your tour

Love

Rob Galloway – The Yalla Yallas

http://www.theyallayallas.com

#unforgettablegig

Edited by theyallayallas

Hey Zootopians!!

Been a while since I posted, so much so, I've not actually posted in this new Zootopia!! But thought I'd give this one a bash.....

Well my first U2 gig was the Elevation Tour at Earls Court on 21st August 2001. I'd just come back from Australia after my year out, I left an 18 year old boy and came back a man!! My gig was the day Bono's dad passed away. The show was simply staggering...the emotion...the feeling...it was truly a great but also sad occasion. You could feel every note from the Edge's guitar, the pain and passion in Bono's voice when they played Kite. It really did sent shivers down my spine and make the hairs on the back of your neck and arms stand on end.

So I've attached couple of pics from the night but it was back in the day when digital camera's were really expensive and all I had was a 35mm point and shoot!! (I'm the one in the hat!!)

Enjoy

Steve C - U2_Nutter!!!

Me and My Mate Dave

The Fly

With Or WIthout You

Edited by U2_Nutter

I have three stories of unforgettable concerts.

The first one was in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1982. They played at the Capital Theater to a crowd of about 2500 people.

I queued for 8 hours for tickets and someone two places ahead of me got the last tickets. A group of us thought we would go along to the concert and listen from outside, while we were in the pub/bar before the concert, I bumped into the people who got the last tickets and we got talking. I told them what had happened and they said that they would not sit in their seats until 15 minutes into the concert and for us to go to the office and explain we lost our tickets and give them their ticket numbers.

Well, we fronted up to the office and explained we lost our tickets and gave them the ticket numbers and after some very suspicious looks, we were told to wait outside. Ten minutes later, one of the bouncers/security guards came out and told us no one was in the seats and we could come in, so there must have been 2503 people at the concert !!!

The next concert was Robert Plant (ex Led Zeppelin), Marquee, London 1987. I worked in London as a Draftsperson and often listed to the radio when I was working. I heard that Robert Plant was playing at the Marquee that night, and tickets were limited diue to the size of the venue. This was his first concert since Led Zeppelin split up. I rushed out of the office and headed down and got my ticket of Five pounds !!! The ticket looks like a cinema ticket stub. That night outside the venue was packed but inside was very quiet and lots of people in suits, I spoke to one of the security guards and he told me that the record company had bought all the tickets and most of the people there were either record company, media or friends of the band and me !! Before the concert, the band came out to talk to everyone and ask what they were looking for from the concert so I actually got to talk to one of my all time heroes, Robert Plant, during the concert I was sitting at the bar next to Ian Gillan (Ex Deep Purple and Black Sabbath lead singer) chatting to him about the set, after the concert the band came out again and mixed with everyone and asked opinions of the concert.

Those would be two of my unforgettable moments at concerts I have attended.

My first U2 concert was at the Capital Theater in 1982, the energy of Bono on stage with the music, I knew I was hooked and thirty two years later, I still think they are one of the best bands in the world.

Queuing up all night at our local record store to get tickets for the Joshua Tree tour in 1987 (first in the queue!)....when the store opened there was only about 30 people! We could have gone to bed, but the thrill of being at the front of the line, priceless!....(Gig time) walking down the stadium to be 30 feet away from the band, unbelievable experience! and until Paris in 2010, it was the best concert I had been too! (View from our seat! post-286746-0-88734100-1412660747_thumb.jpg (no photos from back then in 1987!)

The concert that changed my life?

13 years ago I found in my town a small band playing folk. Regional Music of our region always liked. I met wonderful people, friends with whom we started performing together.
And the concert that changed my life - it was our first concert. We danced, we sang, we had fun ... and so is the today- performances give us constant joy.

And before that, and then I was on many memorable concerts. The first concert of U2 first flag - in Chorzow which took their little son.

I cried when seeing our flag Bono took off his jacket and put it on the red side. We all cried. Thank you for this moment...

But the chance to see the people at the concert, when I'm on stage is an unforgettable experience. It gives joy, excitement, strength.

That's what you give to people they give you. :D

Even when he sings "only" folk songs :)

Third from the right - it's me!

post-491177-0-19791800-1412662544_thumb.jpg

Edited by dzusti007

Best concert moment was definitely U2 - I have been a long time fan started from first hearing The Fly from Achtung Baby. My first concert experience with U2 was November 1993 Sydney Football Stadium. The energy was massive, the stage was enormous, and the band were bringing something totally new and innovative. But the song that most stirred me was hearing One with the extended verse - I still remember looking across at friends that were there and us all being totally stunned! I can still feel that emotion every time I hear the live versions of it. Brings tears.

My name is David and I am from Spain. My unforgettable gig was my first concert of U2 and U2 first concert in Spain. I was 12 years old and my father was a fan of U2 since 1980. He decided to go see them and wanted me to go with him. 

It was June 15, 1987 and more than 90,000 people filled the Santiago Bernabeu stadium; it was crazy, but grandiose crazy. At that time, I already knew the songs of U2 thanks to my father and I think my situation is like that of Bono when his father put those songs in his head. My father (and U2) put those songs in my head.

It was really special that my first U2 concert was also the first concert of U2 in Spain and hear Bono say "How is it possible that we have not played here before?" was something great. 

Unfortunately I don´t have pictures of that day but I have the memory of that concert in my head and in my heart, my first and unforgettable concert that turned me from that moment in a fan of the band. 

For Bono was his first concert in Spain, for me, too.

Edited by URSOBONO

It was december 1983 when I (11 years old) came home from school. My sister was baking a cake. She called me because she wanted to show me her new record. The first song was "Sunday bloody Sunday", but this song didn't satisfy me straight away. She let me listen another song "40". I liked this song on the spur of the moment.
By chance a few some days later our teacher asked our class of school who knew the band U2 from Irland. Nobody knew the band and this was my great moment. I was the only one who "knew" the band. From now I was the up to date record specialist from our school.

We translated the lyrics of "Sunday bloody Sunday" into German and from this moment I was a fan of this band.
At this time it was very difficult to find any articles in the music papers in Austria and Germany. So every teeny article found its way to the wall of my room. My best christmas present 1984 was the record "The Unforgettable Fire". I wanted to go to the concert in Dortmund in 1984 but naturally my parents didn't allow it.
And then come my favourite time as a U2 fan. The Joshua Tree was released and it is still my favourite album. After beseeching my parents they allowed me to buy a ticket for the concert on July 21st 1987 in Munich. We arrived with a bus and we saw a unbelievable concert.

The concert starts with a powerful version of Where the Streets have no name after the Beatles song Stand by me faded out over the PA. I will follow, Trip through your wires, I still haven't found MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Bullet, Running to stand still, Exit, In Gods Country and Sunday bloody Sunday were played in an intensity I never heared before. The next song was People get ready and Bono asked if somebody wants to play his guitar. A young german entered the stage and played the song with U2. After the song Bono told, that his name was Micheal. We knew that this guy is now the famous german comidian Michael Mittermaier. My favourite song "Bad" followed and had a snippet of Candle in the Wind. October, New Years Day and Pride were played and the band leaved the stage. The encore starts with Party Girl and a very rare and fast version of Spanish Eyes. With or without you and "40" closes my first U2 concert in my life.

After the gig we walked to the bus and there were many unoffical street sellers who sold Joshua Tree items.
I still have all items I bought on the offical stand an on the street like  the huge concert poster, a wristband, Tour programmes, batches .........

The Joshua Tree era is my favourite era but I am still a huge fan and collector of the band. If you want to read more about my U2 story you can see it on my collectors homepage.

http://www.u2cassettes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=570&Itemid=29

post-301961-0-62014400-1412664801_thumb.jpg
post-301961-0-98155000-1412664831_thumb.jpg

Edited by U2tapecollector

It's June 1993 and Guns N' Roses will play in the Goffertpark Nijmegen (The Netherlands). We, three young lads out of Brunssum, are already into the music, but our parents are not willing to let us go to a Rock convert. They think we are to young to go.

Then the father of a friend of mine said he wanted to join us to the convert. We were excited and convinced the other parents to go as well. And so it happened. Three 14/15 years went to Guns N' Roses concert.

I remember that The Cult was a supporting act and all the singer could say was F*ck this and F*ck that. In every sentence which came out of his mouth the word F*ck was in. This is something we are still talking about, when we pick up memories of this concert. The member of Guns N' Roses were fashionably late and the concert started a couple of hours later than planned. For us this wasn;t a problem because we had so many new impression that we could kill this waiting time easily.

This concert is the one which made us a member of Rock music and we would go to many many concerts more. Every year we are visiting the Pinkpop Festival in Landgraaf were U2 played as well in 1981. We are all hoping to see you there in the near future.

In the picture attached you can see the three of us, fully dressed up to go to the concert. It was a day to rember and we are still talking about this concert as our Baptism in Rock Music.

Cheers,

Dennis Hendrix (The Netherlands)

post-286401-0-83205700-1412664906_thumb.jpg

It was 1986 and I had just turned 16. After U2 my 2 favourite bands were Simple Minds and Simply Red. Then the neighbour's son (who was a few years older and I really looked up to) did me a huge favor and asked if I wanted to come to the Simple Minds concert in the Amsterdamse Bos. This is a park in the city of Amsterdam and a unique venue (unfortunately no longer used as a concert venue). He then went on to tell me the opening acts were ten ten and Simply Red. I hadn't heard of ten ten but to have Simpy Red open up for Simple Minds was just insane. 

The venue was amazing, in the woods in a very large park, it felt like you were in the middle of nature, what a location for a concert!

It started drizzling as Simoky Red was playing but Mick did not care and they put on a great show. As good as Simply Red were Simple Minds were just amazing and they put on a show that was so good we forgot about the rain and we celebrated the rain as part of the show and everybody was dancing and singing along.

That day I really got hooked on music and I have seen Simple Minds a few times since then and they never fail to deliver. My favorite band may be U2 and I have seen them a few times live (the best show for me was in the golden circle in Paris in the Stade de France) but this show in the open air with Simply Red and Simple Minds really changed my life and how music has become the soundtrack of my life.

I saved the ticket of the show, I guess that shows how important the concert was to me.

I will never forget it and I will always be thankful for the neighbor's kid for taking me to see the show! #unforgettablegig

Not a U2 concert changed my (music)world, it was a festival. In Summer 1979 I saw the first lasershow in my life and the band who 'burns' theses green lines in the dark ski of the Zeppelinfeld in Nürnberg was "The Who". I was just 15 years old an I was a "Rockrookie". The Year before I saw at the same Location Bob Dylan becaus Folk and Folkrock was my favourite musicstyle. It was fantastic to part of the crowd of the show in 1978 but I will never forget the show of 1979 a young "unknown" Band, AC/DC and the Rocklegends The Who shown me the Way to Rock, Hard Rock and Heavymetal. It was time to say goodbye to Folk and Folkrock.

Without that great expirence, I'm sure, I would never registered a small notice in our local magazine about an young, innovative Punkrock Band, so the magazine wrote . So I bought a ticket for a concert on February 1981 in Munich in small club called Sugar Shack and the who played ther was U2. The show was not compareable with the Festival but the singer, so much enthusiasm, so much power, I will never forget.

I became a  real U"-Fan in 1984 at the Loreley Concert and I think it will a neverending story.

So thanks to The Who, AC/DC, The Scorpions, Molly Hatchet, Nils Lofgren and so on, they showed me my way to Rock ´n´Roll

Thanks

Michael

PS: Sorry I´ve lost my ticket, I was young and unskilled ;-), but I find that posterpost-433914-0-19257500-1412666283_thumb.jpg

It was 1985 Live Aid was on tv i was boaring that day until U2 came on stage .

What a performance from that day U2 changed my life completely.

I am a big collector always go to the concerts U2 is a big part of my life.

when I found him in front of me did not believe we had waited six hours waiting for the end of the tests x two nights , the first night me and my wife in disbelief in front of everyone with a lot of people behind pushing and when I reached with my cd in hand x bono let me autograph and he signed a shiver passed over the entire back and screamed yes ... yes . thanks bono !!!! and when I went out with my cd from the crowd cried like a baby ..... in the evening after it was the night before the concert we were always a lot less but of course we were already camped out for the next day .. now no hope but to avevavo suddenly everyone is out and 4 and have started to distribute pizza at all , and that night I touched his hand to the edge . Two evenings ... it was amazing turin 2010

Edited by carciofo

The saints are coming / Green day Melkweg Amsterdam 1994

Longview went on airplay in Holland and Dookie was released. Green day !! And they come to Holland / milky way ( melkweg ). Before the big breakthrough. Nice place, first venue for U2 at their first concert in Holland. 700 people got a ticket to see the next big thing..green day. Before the show, Dee Dee Ramone was also at the venue and walking around ! Then, showtime... first song, second song, third song..and then Billie Joe makes a jump..end of the show..Billie joe broke his ankle..a short punkrockshow...People are told to hold their tickets for another green day show in the Milky Way..but..they never came back..after this, the band went bigger and they finaly make their breakthrough ...

Nice facts: u2's first concert in holland was also Milky way, Ramones are a favorite of U2, U2 also had a short ( the RAI ) concert in Amsterdam, U2 and greenday made the single Saints are comming and they are on stage together to sing that song...nice..isn't ?

hereby the poster from the concert and a picture from the band at milky way.

#unforgettablegig

post-296299-0-94221200-1412670062_thumb.png

post-296299-0-02986300-1412670068_thumb.jpg

Some of my cooler mates persuaded me to buy a ticket to a Thin Lizzy gig in the RDS, Dublin, 1983. I was luke warm about going along but excited as hell as it was my first 'big' gig and I was 15. The show was brilliant, Philo was in majestic form and I was a fan ever since. I remember coming outside afterwards trying to pop my ears by squeezing them and I said to my mates, 'jeysus, that was loud'. They still slag me about that!

No photos as it was pre smartphone and digital cameras.

2001, 1st Slane Castle Concert, Dublin, Ireland

post-296633-0-94997300-1412670502_thumb.jpg

Well, the exciting and long-awaited-for time finally came, and we hurried to Dublin for "the biggest U2 concert ever" according to the local papers, with 80,000 people expected to attend.  However, when we arrived it was cold and rainy so we became concerned about the 10-hour outdoor venue.  I also found out that they were having a second Slane concert the next weekend because so many locals were turned away in the ticket lines and the lineup for that event was much better with Moby, the Foo Fighters and Nellie Furtado, so I was bummed we weren't really seeing their final concert of this tour after all.  The next morning things seemed worse as the front page of every newspaper had Bono's face (the lead singer) on it because his Dad had just died and the funeral was the day before the concert.  The headlines everywhere said "It's the Saddest Day", a twist on the band's current song "It's a Beautiful Day". 

But, my sister Gena and her husband Mike finally showed up, having just arrived from the airport, with just a half hour to spare until the last concert bus left for the concert, so we stormed through the streets and found hundreds of people waiting.  They packed as many people as could fit onto the double decker buses for the 30-minute ride to the castle town of Slane, and, of course, this being Ireland, many of the riders were drunk.  So a competition began between a group on the bottom floor of the bus and three guys on the top to see who could sing the most U2 songs accurately.  They were so drunk and singing so loud that their faces looked like they were going to explode.  When we finally arrived in Slane, we were driven down a road that was lined with hundreds and hundreds of the same double decker buses unloading people for as far as we could see that there must have been a mile of buses!  By this time the rain had stopped and the clouds began clearing!

Then we joined the moving mob down the road toward the Castle where we could see thousands of people and the stage way off in the distance.  We walked and walked and walked for well over a mile, through four search points, past all kinds of concert vendors and radio stations, and onto a muddy forested road, and eventually we started hearing the music of the band that was on stage.  While trampling through the mud with everyone, I happened to mention to Mike that I thought next weekend's concert would be better, and some guy behind us said that "all the hard cores are here" and I realized he was right, which made me feel better.  In fact, the newspaper had interviewed several people who had travelled from all over the world for this concert.  The music got louder and louder, and then the road opened onto a field surrounded by forest with a backdrop of a beautiful castle, and it was filled with more people than I ever could have imagined.  The stage was so far away I couldn't even see the musicians.  After a little while the Red Hot Chili Peppers came out and people started getting excited.  When they were done a couple hours later, we all waited for U2 to appear.  By the now, the sun was setting in a clear blue sky on a warm evening. 

Finally, the speakers blasted "The Boys are Back in Town" and we all knew what was coming and people bolted to their feet and sang along.

Of course, it only takes a few notes to recognize the sound of the Edge's guitar, and the entire audience was flying!  I've been to two other U2 concerts and I've never seen anything like this.  Everyone was as excited as I was!  Everyone knew every word and beat and note to every song.  People clapped along with the beats never missing the timing changes.  And the singing never stopped during the entire concert!  Bono talked about his Dad, sharing stories, showing pictures of him on the videos screens, including that his Dad inspired his political activisim in the Drop the Debt campaign.  When he dedicated the song "One" to his Dad, the audience passed around lighters and lit their paper Coke cups on fire so that the whole field was filled with firelight like a vigil to the cause.  Then he showed a video of Charlton Heston saying that guns are not bad followed by the song "Bullet the Blue Sky" about war and all the killing in the Americas.  This is why U2 is distinct and their fans so deeply passionate.  There is no other band that has ever combined musical quality, poetic lyrics and political messages with such long-term popular success.  After two encores with all 80,000 people chanting their last song in unison, the concert finally ended with a big fireworks show.  The next day, the front page of all the papers had pictures of Bono at the concert, and the following weekend, instead of mentioning the second concert, the Irish Times included a special supplement of pictures on the concert I went to!  It was one of those experiences you never want to end, and when it does, you try as hard as you can to remember it and bring yourself back.

Hi all , from Edinburgh , Scotland , were still on our " road to discovery " with the band (U2) had some great adventures over the years

And visited some great cities ,amsterdam , Cologne , Milan , Frankfurt and of course all over Britain , some thirty years ago started with coach packages to these events sometimes upto an 14hour coach

Trip just to get to europe ,then back home again But was a great way to attend these concerts , now we hop on a plane and ur there just over an hour , looking forward to seeing U2 soon ,, iv never seen them play Ireland so I'm hoping for another stadium tour , got to see them in their home town and it's only a 25 min flight for me lol ,,,, all the best guys and the new album is magnificent .

Hi there from Greece!

It's 1997, Popmart Tour, the first time i ever saw U2 live...I was waiting for this over 10 years...I was there since 7am and the doors opened at 09:00pm...you can imagine...

At least i entered the place first and was at the first row...Bono was like 5 meters away and i just couldn't believe it...

I forgot to say that the gig was at Thessaloniki, Greece and 1997 was a special year to me cause i founded the first official U2 Fan Club in Greece under the name Desire! Facebook.com/U2FanClubDesire

After 17 years now, i think of that night and seems like a movie in my mind, it's like i wasn't there but i saw it on tape...

Unfortunately, U2 didn't come back to Greece until 2010 in Athens, so given the chance, please, don't forget Greece in the next Tour...we 'll be waiting...

Let' so go back to 1997 though, and the things to remember, except the concert of course!) are 2...First, there was a chance that U2 coudn't perform cause the customs were on strike and the trucks with the stage coming from Sarajevo were stuck at the borders..That critical night we were in a souvlaki shop and when we heard the good news (that the trucks were finally coming) i paid for the meals of all the customers at the shop!! It costed me, but was worth it, no doubt about that!!!

And the second thing to remember was that at the end of the show, after 17 hours on the road, i was so exhausted that it took me 2 hours to get to my room on foot...and the distance was about 2 km.....!

That's all folks from me and don't forget...Greece is waiting for you..

I'm waiting for you...

Yours,

Ioannis Kaiafas a.k.a. Djdoorman and a fan since 1989...

P.S. I'm the guy on the right...waiting with my mates to enter the show, 26/09/1997,Thessaloniki, Greecepost-393400-0-28446300-1412674795_thumb.jpeg

Edited by djdoorman