Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

It was my first U2 concert, and it topped all other gigs before and since: San Siro, Milano, July 7, 2009. My brother and I wanted to see U2 outside of the UK, as UK fans just aren't the right kind of crazy about U2 as the rest of the world. It turned out the band were playing in Milan, one day after my 21st birthday, in one of the best stadiums in the world - this had to happen now!

We had been told that we had tickets and we had to pick them up from the band's hotel (a Live Nation contact I think). It turns out that my brother wasn't even sure we had them, we just had to hope that they were there (a lot riding on this given the special birthday). So trying to manoeuvre Milan and find the hotel, we had our hands on them.

5pm came, and out to the stadium on the subway we went. Scorching heat, sweating by the time we even arrived, it was great to just soak up the atmosphere as the crowd came in. Our seats were right on the half way line, and a near perfect view. I can't imagine "The Claw" looking more perfect in any other stadium; stage, dead centre, the crystal point, poking just out of the top. Snow Patrol were supporting, and a good start. Then the main event came: "ten, nine, eight…"

From Breathe through to Moment of Surrender, it was the best 2 hours (or so) of my life. We laughed, we cried, sang Happy Birthday to Eve, sung our hears out to Unknown Caller ("You know your name, so punch it in; Milano"), held each other during With or Without You, and joined the echo of "oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh" to exit the stadium singing "Moment of Surrender", long after the band had departed.

I knew that a U2 concert would be special, but this showed everyone how it could (and should) be done.

post-517419-0-06713000-1412692429_thumb.jpg

U2> April 1984> Madison Square Garden> There they were. Ten yards away, not on the highly, already worn out copy of "Under a Blood Red Sky" that we'd been watching at every party we'd ever go to, turning on others to what we'd already known. No, there was Bono in full voice , belting out early songs like the bombastic " I Threw a Brick Through a Window/A Day Without Me", Bono pointing my way as I pogoed  and jumped up and down like a maniac, shouting the chorus and knowing not everyone in the crowd knew the words to every song. But I did. These were still the early days. " 11 O'clock Tick Tock", "Electric Co." and a crazed "Wire" and an extended, still new "Bad" with Bono running on fumes, somehow finding the will to press on and stir the crowd into a frenzy, The boys taking the cue and amping up the sound for incredible versions of "Pride" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday". I knew I would never catch a moment like this  again. I've seen the boys over 50 times and although there were many memorable nights, none will ever come close to u2 > 1984> MSG!!!!!!

My english is not good enough to write this, so i'll be writing in french :

Bercy, Achtung baby Tour. Mon frère et moi avions des places pour le dernier concert. Mais la fille dont il était amoureux fou à l'époque n'en avais pas et il lui a offert sa place!

Nous sommes partie toutes les deux en RER avec un peu d'argent, espérant trouver un vendeur à la sauvette qui pourrait nous vendre une place pas trop chère...

Arrivées sur le parvis de Bercy, il y avait des vendeurs partout !! Après avoir acheté une place, nous nous sommes ruées vers une cabine téléphonique (et oui!! c'était il y a bien longtemps !) pour appeler mon frère et lui dire de sauter dans le RER pour nous rejoindre avant l'ouverture des portes.

Il est arrivé in extremis, et nous avons passé le concert ensemble, jusqu'à ce que Bono, The Edge, Adam et Larry s'avancent sur l'avant-scène (éclairés par des trabans fixées au plafond!) et que la foule se bousculent vers eux. 

Ma copine et moi en avons profité pour nous rapprocher du devant de la grande scène pour mieux voir nos artistes adorés. Bien mal nous en a pris, deux minutes après leurs retours sur la grande scène, bousculée et écrasée par la foule mon amie et moi étions évacuées par la croix rouge à cause d'un malaise...

Et pourtant, ce fut la plus belle chose qui aurait pu nous arriver. les médecins nous on installé avec de l'eau sur le côté de la scène. Là, pendant que nous reprenions nos esprits, mon amie me regarde la bouche ouverte, ébahie et me montre du doigt quelque chose derrière moi. Je me suis retournée juste à temps pour voir un Bono radieux et souriant, à quelques mètres seulement de moi!!!

Je ne saurai jamais si'l nous a vu ou pas (si oui la tête de mon amie l'aura bien fait rire !!), mais je n'oublierai jamais ce moment !!

Bon, deux minutes après les médecins nous renvoyait tout au fond de la salle pour terminer le concert. Et nous n'avons plus vu grand chose... Mais quel moment !! ça vaut bien tous les malaises du monde !! :)

(english translation) :

Bercy, Achtung Baby Tour. My brother and I had tickets for the final concert. But the girl he was in love at the time did not have and he offered his place! 

We are both part of the RER with a little money, hoping to find a street vendor who could sell us a room not too expensive ... 

Arrivals on the front of Bercy, there were vendors everywhere !! After buying a place, we rushes a phone booth (yes !! it was there long!) To call my brother and tell him to jump on the subway to reach us before the doors open .

He arrived quickly, and we spent the whole concert, until Bono, The Edge, Adam and Larry are advancing on the forefront (lit by trabants fixed to the ceiling!) And the crowd jostle to them. 

My girlfriend and I took the opportunity to get closer to the front of the main stage to see better our beloved artists. Badly we took two minutes after their return on the big stage, shoved and crushed by the crowd my friend and I were evacuated by the Red Cross because of discomfort ... 

And yet it was the best thing that could happen to us. doctors we installed it with water on the side of the stage. There, as we come to our senses, my friend looked at me mouth open, amazed and points at me something behind me. I returned just in time to see a bright Bono and smiling, just a few meters away from me !!! 

I'll never know if he saw us or not (whether the head of my friend will have a good laugh !!), but I will never forget this moment !! 

Well, two minutes after doctors referred us at the back of the room to finish the concert. And we have not seen much ... But when !! it is well worth all the discomfort of the world !! :)

Its September 1980 and I have just started back at school following my annual holidays in Donegal visiting my family.

I was already big into music (and had been lucky enough to catch Horslips live whilst I was there).I was always reading music papers and reading any music related news and whilst in Ireland I kept seeing the same name crop up 'U2' .They had played Leixlip Castle whilst I was in Ireland (supporting The Police)and were getting great reviews all over.

When I got back to Luton (where I lived)I was intrigued enough to buy the bands first UK single '11 O'Clock Tick Tock' - and loved  it.

A few days later I was heading to see Rory Gallagher in Aylesbury Friars and I had persuaded my friend Mick to come with me.

Mick had also spent his holidays in Ireland (Wexford) and also heard plenty about this new band and we spent the hour long bus journey talking about them and I told Mick about the single and what a cracker it was.

We headed into the venue and tried in vain to get a pint but no joy (we were only 15 !).

So we decided to head straight in to the hall and found ourselves leaning on the barrier.

Its getting close to gig time and we get an announcement over the PA "Unfortunately the advertised support band Rage were unable to get here tonight but some friends of Rory's from Ireland who are touring here at the moment have kindly stepped in.Ladies & gentlemen please welcome U2!"

And there they were no more than a few feet away.Even when I think of it now its pretty surreal.

I can't remember the entire set but I do know they played 'Twilight','I Will Follow','Out Of Control',and - only one of two times I ever heard it live - 'Things To Make And Do' among others.They also played 'Touch' after I had requested it and Bono said to me 'I see you are on form tonight'!

Since that night I have been to hundreds of gigs.I've been lucky enough to see some of the greats:The Clash,The Banshees,Tom Waits,Bowie,Dylan,Thin Lizzy,Lee Hazlewood,The Smiths,The Jam.......

But I can safely say that no gig has changed my life the way the gig I went to on the 24th September 1980 did.

It set me off on a journey thats taken me all over Britain and Ireland,Europe and the US . I have sung my heart out,cried,danced and then sung some more!!

I've met some incredible people who I know will be my friends until I am old and grey.And the best thing?

The journey ain't over yet - see you on the road!

http://www.aylesburyfriars.co.uk/gallagher80.html

http://www.aylesburyfriars.co.uk/donstonerorygallagher.html

p.s.June 1997 I was on my way to see the band in Rotterdam and got chatting to a dude from Northampton.He is getting married in two weeks and I have the honour of being his best man!

P.p.s.I would like to take this opportunity to thank Rage (wherever they are)for not turning up that night  ;)

Edited by oisin269

The Giant TV Screen, The Big Lemon, The Mc Phisto Yellow Sign, The Long Walk To the Stage, The River Plate Stadium with the crowd using lighters not cellphones, The Popmart Tour ´98... That Was My First Gig.

The night before that magical day, the summer rain had some protagonism, (the early leds from the screen know better)

listening local radio, waiting the doors opening, buying beautiful promotional stuff (t.shirts, official programme) and the later regrets for not buying little pins and the lemon! 

I remember the people faces when the support acts take the stage...(Babasonicos and Illya Kuriaky and The Valderramas)

and finally... 21.00 pm Buenos Aires: the DJ play James Brown, The Verve and many more, that hour before the show was more intensive than the others..

22:00 pm 

LIghts off, Pop Muzik ON! 

The rest is history... the latin american leg was one of the best of the tour

and that night...was one of the best of my entire life! 

post-392050-0-32915300-1412694616_thumb.jpg

Edited by pepebasabeleoz1

My most memorable concert experience?  Easy. Elvis Presley at the Rochester War Memorial on May 25, 1977. I was 12 years old and the King was going to be six short blocks from my house. He was going to ride in a limo through my neighborhood streets – the same streets I walked every day on the way to school.  He might see where I lived.  He might even comment to those with him that he bet a real nice boy lived in that house.  Elvis!!!!  Every day I pleaded with my mother to take me.  “We’ll see” is all the reply she’d give me.  As the day approached I couldn’t focus at school, I couldn’t sleep through the night.  I could not wait to see the man whose face I’d seen on all those album covers and who looked so cool in all those movies.  The big day with Elvis came…and went.  Though I didn’t realize it at the time, we were a poor family and a $15 ticket was more than my mother could ever afford.  I missed the Elvis concert.  Miss him singing “Hound Dog” and “Teddy Bear” and “Heartbreak Hotel.”  I missed the hip shaking, scarf throwing, stutter talking, King of Rock and Roll.  I didn’t get even to see a limo drive by my house.  I didn’t get to see anything.  And then Elvis up and died a few months later.  The most memorable concert for me?  The one I never saw.

But wait…this story has a happy ending!  All was not lost.  When my son was young and showed the same interest in music that I had at his age, I determined to do everything in my power to help him avoid having a similar Elvis moment in his life.  He’s now 19 years old and has been to well over 300 concerts.  Some of the many great performers he has seen: Black Sabbath, Neil Young, Jack White, Willie Nelson, Kiss, Buddy Guy, The Darkness, Roger Waters, Gogol Bordello, The Pixies, Frightened Rabbit, Glen Campbell, Paul McCartney, The Who, Placido Domingo, John Fogerty, Josh Ritter, Robert Plant, My Morning Jacket, Rancid, Rodriquez, Weird Al Yankovic (!), The Rolling Stones, Screeching Weasel, Motorhead, Bob Mould, Foo Fighters, Bob Dylan, The Flaming Lips, Los Lobos, Rammstein, Arcade Fire, Beck, Childish Gambino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Mallonee, Black Keys, Neutral Milk Hotel, Wynton Marsalis, Gordon Lightfoot, Green Day, The Proclaimers, The Monkees, Jim James, Danny Elfman, The Fratellis, Joan Jett, No Doubt, Blink 182, Owl City, MGMT, Dead Weather, The Scorpions, Weezer, My Chemical Romance, Eric Johnson, Lady Gaga, Todd Rundgren, Death Cab for Cutie, Nick Lowe, Chuck Berry, Blondie, X, Aerosmith, Cheap Tick, Bruce Springsteen, The Killers, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Swamp Dogg, Alice Cooper, B.B. King, Kraftwerk, Spoon and…U2!  And do you know what?  All of them were memorable.  All of them were special in some way.  And the spark that lit this fire was a 12 year old boy missing the first concert he ever really cared about. Sometimes life’s greatest disappointments do turn to beauty in the end.

@LanceASchart: Fake VIP lanyards got über pregnant wife (10 days to birth), 5 y/o son & I into VIP section #U2 360 Chicago! #unforgettablegig http://t.co/jybclYUEwo

April 19, 1981 - A 14 year old me hanging out with a friend and stuck with his older brother who works at a place by the Ohio State campus. Because he's responsible for us we have to tag along while he works and try to stay out of trouble and the way. So here we are, sitting around in the backstage area of The Agora acting all cool like we run the place and we're something special while we watch a crew of guys setting up equipment, running wires, and checking instruments. These guys are super cool taking time out to talk with a couple of kids and letting us help a bit. Their Irish accents are awesome! They're almost finished when this dude with a freaky blonde afro come by and checks out the bass. We say hi and discover he is the bass player for the band. Cool!

A  few minutes later, some scrawny guy comes out and begins fidgeting with the guitars on stage. We're guessing he's the guitarist (duh) so we say hi to him. Now this guy is really cool, talking with us, telling us about his time in the States, where he's been and going, asking us about the music we listen to (mostly crap at this stage in life), do we play instruments, just making small talk. After a few minutes, the two of them head back to a room and my friend and I go to get some snacks. After a while, the big brother comes and tells us to get back stage and quit bugging everyone, so we do.

The two musician we met earlier are with two more guys now. I am so enthralled by their accents and so badly want to be Irish. Being kids, we ignore the brother and start talking to these guys again. It's really cool that they willing to sit around before a show shooting the breeze with a couple of goofy kids. It's at this point that I finally ask the guys the name of their band. U2, what a weird name, like the plane I surmised. They go off to get ready for their show and tell us to enjoy the show. I figure they can't be that great because I've never heard them on the radio (again, stupid kid), but figure it doesn't matter because I'm backstage at a concert on campus; I'm on top of the world.

We goof around for a while until the show's about to start. Cue the music. HOLY CRAP! This is like nothing I have ever heard before in my life. The most awesome sounds coming from the cool looking guitar, the thud of the drums shaking the walls, bass reverberating through my bones, and that singer with the weird name, I forget it but it was something Latin (which I'm taking at Catholic school). My friend wants to go screw around some more, but I am in awe and not about to go anywhere. I'm hooked (for life as it turns out). After the show, I get the chance to tell them that I loved the music, the show, them, etc. - I was star struck, mesmerized. This was the night that I left the 70's FM rock world behind and embraced the future of music. My only regret is (it didn't matter at the time, but I am kicking myself now) that I didn't ask for autographs. Oh yea now I remember, Bono is the guy's name. It means good.

#unforgettablegig

Edited by ThetaTwo

I have always been a fan music in my young and listen U2.

U2 , I heard on the radio, on cassettes (good times) or on vinyl of friends but never purchased

because I thought that work as Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and others were within the reach of all, and not too many of one thing to keep in my heart like a treasure.

Then one day along with my girlfriend purchased a tickets for the U2 concert in Reggio Emilia - Pop Mart Tour 20 September 1997.

It was shock, love at first view or first listen

“ Heard a song that made some sense out of the world.

Since then I opened up a world, I began to want, to desire any work of this phenomenal group.

17 years after what was a small gathering has become a collection that covers an entire room.

I consider myself a very lucky person because I could not buy much everything, more 'and more' times listen to U2 live in many parts of Europe and every time is like the first.

Regardless of all ... thanks

ps: What was my girlfriend as become my wife.

Now I do not hair. ;) post-354072-0-81565100-1412695142_thumb.jpgpost-354072-0-89599700-1412695166_thumb.jpgpost-354072-0-66172000-1412695183_thumb.jpgpost-354072-0-42710300-1412695199_thumb.jpg

My first concert of U2 was during the PopMart tour at the espace Gramont in Montpellier. An amazing souvenir because I had only fifteen years old, the sound was very loud there was impressive for me because at this time I had only assist at inside live. The crowd was incredible, they came from a lot of different countries, I think that this date have reinforced me to be a U2 fan.

The gig that blew my socks off was my first one, when I saw U2 for the first time in Manchester on the Vertigo Tour on June 14, 2005.

I was seventeen years old (young, not dumb, just willing to be blinded) and got into U2 with 'All That You Can't Leave Behind', narrowly missing the 'Elevation' Tour 2001. I kicked myself for the remaining three years for my tardiness. Yet on a happy November in 2004, I had my first experience of queueing up to buy a new U2 album. 

I was such a nerd I did all my college work in advance and got my tutors' approval to take the day off. I got the train at 8am and queued outside the City of Manchester Stadium and got locked into an enclosure which would allow those who were standing to get inside the front pit. And then - lo and behold! - my first ever U2 merchandise stand. Four years of waiting, and at last I could buy a U2 T Shirt! 

I snuck around with my friend only to find my wallet, resplendent with my £70 monthly wages from a retail job I had at the time, was not in my pocket. A frenzied search later, and it was nowhere to be found. I returned, dejected, to the enclosure when an older lady patted me on the arm and gave me my wallet back. I think it says everything you need to know about U2 fans that not a penny was missing, and I bought her a Vertigo flashing neon badge to say thank you. 

The gig itself was amazing. I was right at the front with my best friend, who I was best man to last year, and right in front of Adam. I have never been so blown away and it was an incredible introduction to live music. I would later go on to be a music journalist at University, go to more gigs than I could count and go to Leeds Festival and Glastonbury, but that gig will always be an incredible introduction, and I was lucky when a Security guard gave me Adam's setlist at the end!

I woke up at the moment when the Manchester Occured!

#unforgettablegig

Easter 2009, when I was 10 years old, I wrote a letter to Bruce Springsteen´s management. The letter including a foto of me and Bruce when I met him the summer before. In the letter I asked him to play hungry heart at the consert I was going to in Bergen summer of 2009 which would be my 3rd show with him. I also asked to dance with him during the song Dancing in the Dark. He never wrote back but I still had "High Hopes". Just to be sure I made a poster with my wish of dancing with him on. I travelled to Bergen and started queing the night before the show. I was about the first hundred in the que. After a long day of queing finally the show started. I was in the front row and Bruce noticed me in the second song. He nodded and smiled to me. It was a faboulus night and a great great show! When Bruce´s personal life guard placed himselves in front of me when the song Dancing in the Dark started, I knew something special would happen. At the end of Dancing in the Dark Bruce came to pick me up to dance with him!! It was an amazing experience for a ten year old girl.post-575673-0-00035600-1412697094_thumb.jpgpost-575673-0-71120700-1412697193_thumb.jpg

360 Tour 2009 - Croke Park#2 / Dublin

All the way up from Argentina to Ireland! Just to see them live at their home...
It was My first time in Dublin and i was lucky enough to get Edge's pick!

#unforgettablegig #U2inDublin #Edge'spick

DUBLIN 2009

“Wow! I have seat U2.”  My sister’s boyfriend had the special seat.  How did I miss that?  But it was a night that changed MY life.  I dragged them to see the hot Irish band that I’d been following on MTV.  The new videos from “War” seemed dark and serious.  I didn’t know what to expect.

They had at me at “Out of Control”.    Pure, raw energy.  I was caught up in a force that I’ve never felt before.  And U2 wanted EVERYONE to feel it.

During “An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart” I made my way into the aisle to take a few pictures.  Why am I the only one standing?  They were filming the show, and the front was clogged with camera equipment.  Bono didn’t like it.  He stopped the show and asked all the camera people to come up on stage.  “I need the front row,” he said.

I don’t even know how it happened, but the next moment I was at the stage.  Alone?  No, I was with my four new Irish friends and they were with me.  The barrier was broken and we were all spinning in a musical, physical, spiritual, emotional vortex.  No bell and whistles, just four guys performing like it was their last show.  It was stunning.  I couldn’t believe how amazing they were, and how deeply I was moved.

I leaned against the lobby wall of the Capitol Theatre - dimly hearing the ethereal sounds of Clannad mixed with the chorus of “40” being sung by fans spilling out into the street. I felt euphoric, like I had just witnessed an incredible event.  My sister was chewing me out for leaving them when I stopped her and said, “Can you believe what we just saw?  These guys are gonna be huge!”  Never in my wildest dreams did I realize how huge.  Nor did I imagine the impact U2 would have on my life, and how very proud I am to call myself a fan.  Seat U6? – Glad I took it.

#unforgettablegig

post-287191-0-86194000-1412698846_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-20305700-1412698860_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-70888000-1412698875_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-40726200-1412698902_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-83743100-1412698921_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-62441800-1412698943_thumb.jpg

post-287191-0-47834200-1412700381_thumb.jpg

Edited by JackieD

june 1983 red rocks.what a night almost didn't go because weather was terrible.my it was the 1st u2 concert for my wife and myself.who were these boys from Ireland that were the same age as us? when we arrived at red rocks { possibly the best place to see a concert in the world } a lot of people did not show so we were told to move closer to stage. 6th row ,WOW! the next 2 1/2 hrs changed our life musically!! with so many no shows u2 held a free show the next night in nearby bouder  { inside thankfully}.those were the first 2 of our 55 u2 shows over the last 31 yrs! we have seen them in over7 states { including an utterly awesome show in Hawaii, which might be our second fav show}.u2 has changed our lives and we are blessed and thankful for that.   RED ROCKS 1983

Are you really going to read all these stories? Wow!

... Of course I can mention all of U2’s concerts I attended.

... Of course I can vaguely reminisce my first U2 concert in 1982 in ‘t Heem in Hattem.

... Of course there was the infamous concert in 1989 in the RAI in Amsterdam, when Bono apologized for losing his voice and the encore with BB King was cancelled.

... Of course there was the legendary catch up concert for the abovementioned bug, later in 1990 in Ahoy, Rotterdam.

... And of course I can still recall what they did during their latest 360ᵒ tour, which I saw in London.

But here’s a real rock and roll story.

It was July 1986. I was one of the founders of a local music festival, called Dijkpop (still existing after more than 30 years) and in our third year we dared to take the step from hiring local and regional bands to hiring a nationwide known and at these days successful band, called Vitesse.

Vitesse was to be the ultimate icing on the cake for our 1986 festival, but their guitar player Willem van Eijk had crashed the week before during their tour in Germany and died. Nevertheless Vitesse came to play for us and I had an interview about 15 minutes before they went on stage with their drummer / lead singer Herman van Boeyen. I asked him why they didn’t cancel their booking and suggested that it would be very hard for them to perform.

“Anyway”, Herman said, “the show must go on. It’s only rock and roll”.

I’d never seen an artist crying just before he went on stage and they played a lousy set, but only a couple of years ago when I heard Bono sing “It’s only rock and roll” together with Mick Jagger, it reminded me of this moment …

dijkpop 1986.bmp

Mom & Daugher in the ellipse

My most memorable U2 concert was in Montreal in the 1990's.  My daughter and I had general admission tickets so we managed to make our way up to the stage walkway.  As Bono passed the first time, my daughter started crying.  When he passed the second time, she vomited.  The crowd stepped aside, asked if she was okay, and then just moved back into place and enjoyed the rest of the show.  I was so taken by their caring that the impact remains with me today - Hurray U2 fans!!

Ciao Ragazzi, partecipo senz'altro a questo"contest" ...non sarà facile avere questo LP... certo è che la mia vita non sarebbe la stessa senza la mia colonna sonora preferita, sfumato il concerto a Napoli Zoo Tv Tour a causa di una tragedia intima mi organizzai per il mio primo concerto a Reggio Emilia, poi il mitico POP MART TOUR, indimenticabile la trasferta dalla mia Sardegna in terra d'Irlanda per assistere a The Celebraton in Slane Castle, quando avevo già il biglietto in tasca per il VERTIGO TOUR di Milano un'altro imprevisto in famiglia mi obbligò a cedere il ticket ad un'amico... e poi lo spettacolo del 360 TOUR a Milano, non sazio di tutto ciò nel 2010 partiti in macchina da Madrid con destinazione Coimbra per il bis del 360 TOUR... e ora? dove mi porterà il cuore? in angolo del mondo andrò per incontrare i miei 4 amici irlandesi? avere questo vinile nella mia specialissima collezione sarebbe come riceverlo direttamente dalle mani di Bono o di Edge come anche di Larry o Adam... un sogno... chissà...

ALL I WANT IS U2

love and peace

Domenico

post-447329-0-76229700-1412703943_thumb.jpg

Early 1985. U2 is announced as the headliner for Torhout/Werchter later that year. I was 15 at the time and asked my mum if I could go. A defenite NO was the answer.

What to do..... At that time I had a penpall who lived about 100 km away from me and her parents were very open-minded. She asked her mom and she got the ok. So we made a little plan. I would say to my mum I was going to stay at my friends place for a week and then we would secretly go to Werchter. In the event my mother would call; my friends mum would say that we were out to the beach or something like that.

So off we went!!! By train to Belgium and hitch-hiking the last bit. There was no festivalcamping at that time, so we put our tent up in the bushes across the festival enterance. Stayed up all night to party with the locals....

The festival was amazing and U2 was so intense, I had no words to describe it. A week after we got home Live Aid happened and I was jumping in front of the tv and told my parents I did go to Werchter. They weren't even that mad at me :)

post-286994-0-64485000-1412704199_thumb.jpg

post-286994-0-24068800-1412704254_thumb.jpg

La primera vez que vi a U2 en directo fue hace muy poco tiempo, en la gira 360º. Siempre había oído hablar de los directos de la banda, pero nunca tuve oportunidad de ir. Fue en Barcelona, en el concierto inaugural, y tuve la suerte de poder asistir a los dos conciertos. Fue increíble. Senti la energía que desprende la banda como solo lo he vivido con Bruce y fue desde ese momento que empezó una nueva relación con U2, para siempre!
De esa gira fuimos a Sevilla, a San Sebastian, a Roma y los dos conciertos que dieron en Anaheim (california).
Lo dicho: PARA SIEMPRE!

The first time I saw U2 live was very recently on tour 360. I had always heard of the direct band but never had a chance to go. It was in Barcelona, ​​at the inaugural concert, and I was lucky enough to attend two concerts. It was incredible. I felt the energy released as the band have just lived with Bruce and it was from that moment that began a new relationship with U2, forever! 
In this tour we went to Seville, San Sebastian, Rome and the two concerts held in Anaheim (California). 

I said: FOREVER!

(sorry for my Inglish)

post-472414-0-82013500-1412707500_thumb.jpg

post-472414-0-41738400-1412707592_thumb.jpg

Edited by kaysolcafe

Mine wasn't a concert experience, but something that has since led to many concert experiences.  It was the summer of 1989, and my big brother Chris was a U2 fan.  At that time, I wasn't.  I (then 14) vividly recall driving with my brother (then 16) on Berkshire Boulevard in Albany, NY on a particular warm summer afternoon in my parents' red Ford Tempo.  He popped his clear with white lettered copy of Rattle and Hum into the car cassette player, and on came Desire.  I can remember hearing that opening twang of Edge's guitar, and then Bono's "yeah", and off went the song.  That moment was the spark that set off the flame of my lifelong allegiance to U2, and perhaps even bigger, with music itself.  I consider that moment as having shaped a lot of what is me, and so I'm grateful to U2 for that.  Of course, I then went out and purchased all the cassettes for the albums before Rattle and Hum!  And when Achtung Baby! was released, I was the second person in line at Tower Records in Boston to buy it the night it was released (back when people had to get off their bums to buy music!).  And the rest, well, is history, and history in the making!  Thanks for letting me share!   

The most beautiful show I'd ever seen has been surely The U2 360° live from Turin,6 August 2010. It hasn't been my first U2 concert(and also not the last),but for me has been the most special of ever for different reasons: it was on my city,it was the first date of the world tour 2010,after Bono's injury and U2 played two new songs for the first time:north star and glastonbury...simply amazing!!!

And also because has been the concert where i was closer to them,on the pit down the stage..and it looked like to be on the stage with they,and to be one only thing with all the people inside the stadium(and also the people outside the stadium without the ticket...and were very much people outside to listen U2!!!)

The most exciting moment of the concert,for me has been when Bono singed Miss Sarajevo in italian:a great present for all italian fan.

I remember also the days before the concert,when U2 stayed for one week in the city for the practice of the show...and the last night before the concert they gave pizzas to all the fan outside to listen at them...only people with a great heart can make a thing like that,and this remember will stay always in my heart!!

The day of the concert,I meet the great Rock'o,the stage manager of U2,i post also a picture of the event,in the picture there is my brother,my best friend,Rock'o,and for last me! then i post also a picture of the ticket of the concert,the t-shirt,one of the show,and the original poster of the concert,that I have been really really lucky to find,asking to the district of Turin,and that,now,i take gelously in my room!!!

post-580148-0-55100500-1412707170_thumb.jpg

post-580148-0-12162400-1412707266_thumb.jpg

post-580148-0-77358100-1412707484_thumb.jpg

post-580148-0-36009900-1412707506_thumb.jpg

post-548042-0-05689200-1412708079_thumb.jpg

First, let me say that seeing U2 at TCF Stadium in Minneapolis in a raging downpour was awesome...but it was not as formative as the story I am about to relate :).

The year was 1995.  I was 19 years old and was beginning to come into my own identity as a music fan.  During the college years, so much of life is about embracing both new discoveries as well as holding on to things one has been given.  One day, when I was much younger, I was sitting in the back seat of my parents' car and the song "Like a Rolling Stone" came on the radio.  My father explained to me who was singing the song.  It was Bob Dylan, he said, an enormously talented man who wrote complicated songs.  In the years between that first experience of Dylan and when I was 19, I had begun to grow in my appreciation of his music.  In the early 90's, I had seen certain performances on television by Dylan wherein he looked tired and his voice was incomprehensible.  Despite those experiences, early in '95 I saw that Bob Dylan would be playing three shows at the Hollywood Palladium in May.  I decided that I needed to go and see this legendary performer, whatever my impressions were.  A few friends and I made our way into Hollywood.  I grew up about 20 miles from Downtown LA, and going into the city was not rare, but it was always exciting.  As the time of the show drew near, the line outside the Palladium began to get longer.  There was no set seating at the Palladium, so all of us would wait until the doors opened and get the best spot we could for this show.  The capacity at the Palladium is 3700, so this was going to be a relatively intimate show, especially considering Dylan's prowess.  One passerby observed me and my friends in line and stated loudly, "Looks like we got some young Dylan fans here tonight!"

PJ Harvey opened that night.  I remember enjoying her set, but I have never followed her career, so I don't remember much of anything about it.  My friends and I ended up sitting in the balcony with an obstructed view.  It was close to the stage, but we couldn't see the whole stage.  Fortunately however, we could see the front of the stage, and there was a lone microphone by the edge of the stage where the man himself would be standing during his show.  Then, I heard the words I still remember: "Ladies and gentlemen, Columbia recording artist Bob Dylan..."

I have several impressions from that show that still stick with me, almost 20 years later.  Dylan sang with a clear and familiar voice.  This sounded like the man I had listened to in my room and on the radio, and it was thrilling.  I remember the chill that I got when he first blew into his harmonica during an acoustic performance of "Mr. Tambourine Man".  Of all the songs he sang that night, I remember that one the best.  I still remember hearing the lilt in his voice when he reached the all important lyrical passage in "The Times They Are a Changin'."  I was deeply moved that night by his performance of "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright".  He sang it with such a charisma that when I recall the performance, I can still feel the emotions that I felt when I first experienced it.  As I left the Palladium that night, I knew I was hooked.  I would listen to Dylan whenever I could.  

In the years since that first show in '95, I have seen him two other times.  I look forward to seeing him yet again as he comes to my adopted hometown of Minneapolis to perform next month.  The father who introduced me to Dylan (and who accompanied me to my second Dylan show in 1998), has since died.  It is impossible for me to listen to Dylan and not think of my father and of that wonderful night in LA almost 20 years ago.  It will forever be a major part of my musical journey.  Those nights are priceless, even though I only paid $25 for the ticket.

Edited by joelbascom