Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

my first concert was in 1981 at the Montreal Forum and it was Queen... that nignt i felt like a was in heaven at only 15 years old i'd never listen to music like i was before. sorry but no pictures at that time...

Patrick Lartigue

Well my first concert was U2 War Tour at The Tower in Philly.  I was 16 and my then boyfriend dragged me to see you guys.  I was not a fan at the time as I was really into the Police. He was rabid about you.  However, as the night progressed a funny thing happened, I started to really like what I was hearing.  Bono was such an exceptional front man and the entire band was so good that the moment I heard I Will Follow it was all over.  The next day I drove down to the record store and bought everything available from that young band from Ireland.  I have seen U2 at least once every tour since that tour.  Boyfriends come and go but U2 is forever. 

The year was 1984, Silent Running were a band coming out of Belfast and making a big impression with their debut album 'Shades of Liberty' They were playing in a venue in Glasgow called 'Night Moves' & myself and some friends decided to travel through to see them. We were barely teenagers at the time & money was limited so in orderto assure my child fare on the bus through to Glasgow I took my birth lines with me, The venue was licensed so we then had to act all mature and 18 to get in, ridiculous looking back with us thinking wmaturity was lowering the tone of your voice to a deeper scale & talking about girls and drink loudly whilst looking the age we actually were....and rather silly.

By hook or by crook we got into the gig (our age was immaterial the venue just wanted our money) The band were superb, the gig has long lived in my memory. I met Mick McNiel of Simple Minds (at that time) fame and got his autograph on a small piece of scrap paper & was delighted, Then out of the blue Silent Running appeared & obviously I wanted their autographs but i had no paper....So i handed over my official birthlines which caused much humour with the band, however as they asked me my name, in the chaos someone shouted 'WALLY!!' (which kind of means idiot) at someone in the crowd of autograph hunters who was pushing from behind me & they thought this was my name so signed my birthlines, etched for all eternity as ' To Wally..'

As you can imagine when i got home & my parents discovered my defaced birthlines they were not best pleased (but did see the funny side re 'Wally') the downside of this is anytime i have to produce my birthlines for any official purpose I am nearly always asked 'Who's Wally?' ....life can be cruel

mljdrt.jpg2cxyvb5.jpg

I've got a story from the first time I saw the band in Sydney in 1989.  There was a small group of us from school who'd travelled to the concert and we decided to wait outside the arena after the show to (hopefully) meet the guys.  After 30-40 minutes, the door opened and out they came.  The crowd of fans was probably only about 50 people and security were letting us through the gate in small groups to meet them.  Of course, you couldn't get anywhere near Bono, but I found myself chatting to Edge and Adam along with a couple of other people, one of whom was in our group.  We'd made some small talk about the show and the Australian tour and my 'friend' (who fancied himself as a guitarist) blurted out to Edge that he had "dropped a chord in Bullet the Blue Sky"!  To Edge's great credit, he apologised and said it was one of those things that occasionally happened when playing live.  I was so embarrassed I wanted the ground to swallow me ...

October. Now isn't that fitting.
I was a kid. Fifteen years old. This was 1987. I was best friends with my cousin, Ann. She was in college at Mizzou (Columbia, MO, USA). I went up there all the time to visit- we always had a blast. There was a record store in town, Streetside Records. Back in the day it was THE place to get all your tunes and tickets to shows. I had been really, really (Really) into all things U2 since the first time I heard the single "With or Without You" earlier that year. After I heard that song (as soon as I could get to Streetside Records), I bought up everything I could find from this mesmerizing band from Ireland. For a broke high school girl, purchasing Boy, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire, and any bootleg and B-side I could find all at once was a major endeavor. I bought CDs, I bought cassettes, I bought vinyl. And so it began. I couldn't get enough of this music.

Ann and I heard about the upcoming tour, and we were on a mission. We tried to get tickets to the concert in St. Louis the conventional way at the time- on hold with Ticketmaster. This was pre-smart phone, pre- Stub Hub. Well, the show was sold out in a matter of hours. And we didn't get squat. We next stood in line at Streetside to get a lottery number, which, if we were lucky, would be a low enough number to get tickets from THEM before they were sold out. Again, we got nothing. I was bummed, to say the least. Well, what do you know- the college kids working at Streetside saw my misery, and clued us in that the little smoke shop down the street had purchased a block of tickets. Hope was alive again. We ran over there, and we got two seats on the bus. And two tickets to see U2 live at The Arena in St. Louis. It was a freakin' miracle.

So, on the afternoon of October 25, 1987, we hopped on a bus with about 50 people we didn't know. But they weren't strangers. They were comrades. They were fellow U2 fans. I had never been so excited in my entire life. I still remember how cold it was that day. I remember the (very strong) smell of weed and patchouli. That bus ride to St. Louis was one hell of a party. We laughed, we told stories, we plotted ways to meet the band after the show, and we sang. We sang every U2 song we knew. Loudly and badly. But it was beautiful.

We got to our seats- lower level, about three sections back from the stage. Sweet! We got a treat with the opening band: The BoDeans. They were great and the crowd loved them. For me, it was all I could take to stand there waiting between sets for "my boys" to take the stage. We're talking six months of anticipation here. This was HUGE. All those who saw the Joshua Tree Tour will remember: The house lights went down. Next, the stage lights and background screen went red. Then the first chords of "Where the Streets Have No Name" blared out. I had goose bumps. I was screaming. And then the four boys from Dublin walked onto the stage and the place erupted like nothing I'd ever heard before.

The show, needless to say, was beyond awesome. Ann laughed at me, because I literally did not take my eyes of the stage from the time they started playing until after the encore. I was so transfixed, I almost didn't dance at all or sing along. I was soaking. Soaking in this wondrous first live experience with my favorite band in the world. The band that is still my favorite, after all these years. The band that I've seen live at least twice with every tour since that night. The band that got me through most of my adolescence; that got me through high school, and break-ups, and realizations of surrounding dysfunction, and loss of idealism about the world. Streetside Records is gone now. The Arena has been torn down. Ann isn't my best friend anymore. Things change. But my love and respect for this band, their music, their principles, and their actions, remains.  Forever.

Here are pics of my ticket stub and a poster I bought that October night:

10403607_983099008370640_277839353182004
10352329_983099011703973_218407567382570

I'd long been a U2 fan and had seen the band many times in different cities. Finally, I decided to make the trip to Dublin to see the boys there in 2005. Little did I know when I bought those concert tickets and plane tickets that I'd spend the next several months caring for my father following a bone marrow transplant, then burying him after it failed. He died 24 days before the U2 show at Dublin's Croke Park. I'd already missed So. Much. work, that I felt I should cancel my trip, but I couldn't do it. I needed that trip. One of my favorite travel buddies and fellow U2 fans and I boarded our flights, and in a haze, I made it to that incredible show. I didn't have the energy that particular time around to wait in line all day and get close like I've done at most every other show. So I wasn't close up, but it was still an emotional and healing show. Thanks, U2, for always being a soundtrack to my life. :)

But the truly most amazing, mind-blowing U2 encounter was no doubt just earlier this year, atop the Rockefeller Plaza roof for Jimmy Fallon's opening night of The Tonight Show. Even though the band played only one song (two times), I can't imagine I'll ever have the chance again to be part of such an intimate performance. My adrenaline gets pumping again just thinking of it! 

Boa Noite U2, tudo bem?

Eu queria contar a minha história no meu primeiro show da banda em 2011.

Consegui comprar meu ingresso em no final de 2010 e a chegada dele foi em janeiro de 2011, foi uma tremenda alegria, quase quebrei a cama da minha mãe, comemorando e chorando de tanta felicidade. Enfim chegou Abril de 2011 no dia 9, nós não pegamos fila para entrar ao estádio do Morumbi em São Paulo, porque compramos o ingresso para as cadeiras (meu único arrependimento), mais foi o que conseguimos naquela época e não trocaria por nada esse show da minha vida. Eu agradeci demais ao meu pai por ele me proporcionar esse dia inesquecível, MELHOR DIA DA MINHA VIDA QUE O MEU PAI E U2 (BONO, LARRY, EDGE E ADAM), SÓ TENHO A AGRADECER A TODOS VOCÊS ETERNAMENTE.

Melhor parte do show: Vertigo quando eu consegui contar junto com o Bono (uno, dos, tres catorse), foi DEMAIS e corri para abraçar meu pai e agradecer muita emoção; e na música City Of Bliding Lights, não tinha nenhum nuvem no céu em torno do estádio só uma que estava em cima da garra e estava a iluminação nas nuvens e eu tirei uma foto bem na hora da música e na foto aparece um raio, nunca consegui tirar foto de um raio, U2 U2 U2 MUITO OBRIGADO POR EXISTIR.

(english translation) : 

Good Night, U2, okay? 

I wanted to tell my story to my first concert of the band in 2011. 
I could buy my ticket at the end of 2010 and it was the arrival in January 2011, was a tremendous joy, almost broke my mother's bed, celebrating and crying with happiness. Finally arrived in April 2011 on the 9th, we took no queue to enter the Morumbi stadium in Sao Paulo, why buy a ticket to the chairs (my only regret), more has been achieved at that time and not trade this show of my life. I too thanked my father for giving me this unforgettable day, BEST DAY OF MY LIFE THAT MY FATHER AND U2 (BONO, LARRY, AND ADAM EDGE), ONLY HAVE TO THANK YOU ALL FOREVER. 
Best part of the show: Vertigo when I could count along with Bono (uno, dos, tres catorse) was TOO and ran to hug my father and thank so much emotion; and music Bliding City Of Lights, had no cloud in the sky around the stadium only one that was on the claw and the lighting was in the clouds and I took a picture just in time music and photo lightning appears, never I could take a picture of lightning, U2 U2 U2 THANK YOU fOR EXISTING

It was the Joshua Tree Tour, and I had never seen U2; even though I am the boys same age. In college I was spinning (Vinyl back then my Verti-babies) ''Boy' and 'War' on the college radio station at Iowa State University. Into U2, long before anyone I knew, knew who U2 were. They are my band, they belong to my youth.

So flash forward, here I am lined up at the only ticketmaster outlet in Colorado Springs, Colorado at 6:00 am in the morning. I have yet to learn, that Denver is where I should drive to find the shorter lines into the legendary concerts.

So I wait for hours and hours; I make it just to the door when I learn that BOTH shows in Denver have sold out; I am shut down, 6 hours waiting for nothing. So young, so innocent, so green (ok 26 years!), so much to learn about getting into shows. I missed that "Show of Innocence", that's right the Denver show I missed was featured in Rattle and Hum, and I was shut down. I did not just miss a show, I missed a legendary moment of U2 history; captured forever on film.

"Fuck the film, and on with the show" as Bono said when he was at that show in Denver.... Flash forward, it is the U2 360 Tour... I am an older and wiser fan. I have been hitting U2 shows in Denver, Oakland, Boston, New York, Vancouver, recording them in 360 with my 3D GoPro kit (what memories!)  I am on fire! Nine "Shows of Experience" in 360. The finale is seeing "Spider Man Turn off the Dark" on Broadway. I meet/ talk to Reeve Carney after the play; he tells me he will be opening the final U2 show in Moncton, New Brunswick Canada. I am stoked, as I have managed to get tickets for this final show, and it is only days away... I am over the moon, thinking.. hmmm this is gonna be great, U2's final performance in 360 in an area of the world they have never played; a magnetic venue with Arcade Fire, I am truly on fire! I finally will have that legendary show I missed in Denver!  All will be right in my U2 world!

I fly into Nova Scotia, and I have yet another legendary U2 show snatched from victory and into the jaws of my U2 defeat. I am unaware of the legal differences in Canada and the states around a DUI conviction I have. I am turned away at the border; I am in utter horror and disbelief. This cannot be happening again! Not this many years later! 

I share this story to convey the passion and commitment to U2; they share my generation, my music (we like the same artists growing up), my world view. I have so many memories (young and old) burned into my mind, that they are part of my family; my human family. I cannot not imagine my world without U2, but I remember what John Lennon said -> "I don't believe in Beatles, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Hitler... I just believe in me... Yoko and me, that is reality!" So I keep it real.. U2 have their lives and I have mine (I don't believe in U2); but the world is a better place because they are in it. We all need to make the world a better place because we are in it. This band helps me want to be the person I should be (I want to dream of the world I want to live in, I want to dream out loud. I'm more than you know, I am not Invisible!).

The attached scan (in the old days there was no Instagram) shows the post card (Of course it was a U2 post card; Wide Awake In America!) I sent to my sister (also a huge U2 fan) when I was "shut down" for the Joshua Tree show in Denver back in 1987... this is my Songs Of Innocence lost. Hopefully this postcard I have held on to from the past helps all who read this story, believe in my commitment to this group of four committed people. That what I have written here, happened in my real world, my real life experience. It is not just made up for entertainment and amusement in this newly evolving virtual world that we all play in today.

Will the U2 Gods smile on me in this contest? Whether yes, or whether no...

Love is All, All is Love.

Mooner, Mooner, Mooner....

[attachment=1974:U2 Postcard_Message.JPG]

post-354880-0-94975100-1412736552_thumb.jpg

It was 1969, I was five years old and about to attend my very first concert ever at the Veteran's Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix, AZ. The person in concert? Elvis Presley. My parents took my sisters and I to the show, my oldest sister was and still is, a huge EP fan. The venue was packed, the fans were excited and thrilled to see the man in person. Soon, the lights dimmed, then that iconic intro music from 2001: A Space Odyssey started and I knew something unlike anything I'd ever witnessed was about to unleashed. Soon, the music changed to CC Rider, his intro sing, and soon, this solitary figure in a white jumpsuit ran onto the stage. My eyes were glued to him from the get go, my ears were exposed to music that was unlike anything I'd ever experienced. He commanded the stage, his presence so intense that everything else fell to a blur, he was all that existed. Halfway through the show, I decided to sit on the concrete flooring and lean by the rail where our seats overlooked the stage, directly above the man himself. He was talking to the audience, and I was an eager five year old, wanting my moment of acknowledgement from him. Elvis. Elvis. I kept calling out, and my child's voice finally caught his attention. He turned his head and looked right up at me, my legs dangling over the edge of our balcony seats, about 15 feet up from where he stood. Zeroing in on me, he smiled and said, "I'll be with you in a minute baby." Then, he winked at me and started to sing, I was dumbfounded, thrilled and starstruck all at once. I was five yet I knew that I'd just been acknowledged by the biggest star in the universe, and to this day, it's as vivid in my mind as though it happened yesterday. That moment and several EP concerts after cemented even to this day, he was a rare and special human that graced our universe for far too brief a time. I've seen a lot of performers since, U2 included (each and every time they've been in AZ and for multiple nights), but there has never been nor will ever be a performer like Elvis Presley. I feel blessed to have witnessed his brilliance in person. Totally changed my life. Unfortunately, I don't have the ticket or photos (I was five, and this was before the days of mobile devices and postings).

Edited by Diamond Lil

Without a doubt, August 25 ,2001.

Slane Castle,Co.Meath,Ireland.

it was a very emotional,astonishing,breathtaking,amazing....

I always fumble with words about this show.

post-287370-0-83295300-1412746058_thumb.jpg

post-287370-0-75741300-1412746073_thumb.jpg

More than twenty years ago, it was our first U2 show in Switzerland... 
We were in the same state of mind as the band for The Ramones gig, " It became one of the great nights of our life ! " 

Passion is still there, the wait is always exciting until the next tour. 
No pictures from this moment in 1992, only remembrances in our head... and a old-dusty-original promotional poster of this gig getting out the cellar and our collection for almost 20 years !

Laurent & Veronique
Brother and sister

Switzerland

post-383143-0-75944500-1412754462_thumb.jpg

post-383143-0-59858800-1412754501_thumb.jpg

KEANE – (SECRET GIG) ROUGH TRADE, LONDON, 7 MAY 2004

All of the U2 concerts I have been to are of course at the top of my list, especially the last U2 show I went to in Auckland! After emigrating from the UK to New Zealand - It was amazing to see my favourite band on the other side of the world, and of course - to hear 'One Tree Hill' live.

post-289183-0-44704200-1412753842_thumb.jpg

However, we all know how amazing U2 are, so I thought I would share one of the most intimate and smallest gigs I have ever been too from another one of my favourite bands ‘KEANE’.

post-289183-0-79521400-1412753854_thumb.jpg

On 7th May 2004, Keane did a secret gig for fans at the famous record store 'Rough Trade' in London. This was to promote their new single 'Everybody's Changing'. I found out about this via their website and of course turned up outside of Rough Trade early to ensure I was able to enter. This was also my first time at Rough Trade, so I was extremely excited about browsing through the thousands of records in the store... (As you can't beat a good old record)

There were only a few people outside when I arrived, so I got in the queue and waited with a bunch of lovely KEANE fans (and as I later found out a number of U2 fans also). We were all very excited, and once the doors opened, I could not believe how tiny the "stage" area was and how small the whole place was (there must have been no more than 40 people inside). I was standing literally right by the microphone where Tom was going to be singing...

post-289183-0-30095600-1412753863_thumb.jpg

Once everyone was inside, Tom, Tim and Richard appeared and they played an awesome set of songs from their debut album "Hopes and Fears". As you can see from the photos – I was so close, It was like having them playing in my living room. They are all very talented musicians and song writers, as well as being absolutely lovely chaps too.

post-289183-0-46850000-1412753872_thumb.jpg

Afterwards Tom, Tim and Richard spoke to everyone and signed copies of their new single. The band are also big U2 fans and are definitely influenced by their music which is probably why I love them so much... They have supported U2 on tour and have also covered 'with or without you' which is much better than U2's version... HAHAHA - Just checking you are still reading this... OK it isn't better but it's a lovely version :)

post-289183-0-31397600-1412753834_thumb.jpg

I have now been to a number of Keane concerts around London and have met them a few times before and after shows. I remember one show in particular where Tim and Richard came outside and chatted to everyone for quite a while, asking us what we thought of the album and what our favourite songs were etc.  :) They really do appreciate their fans!

post-289183-0-15271700-1412753880_thumb.jpg

Now to finish the story off - one of the girls I met at this gig was also a huge U2 fan. We stayed in contact and met later on in Dublin to see U2 on the Vertigo tour!!!!!

This was a special gig for me because it was such a rare opportunity to see one of my favourite bands perform in such a unique venue and in front of such a small crowd. I felt very lucky to be part of this intimate and unforgettable gig.

#unforgettablegig 

Edited by celia

My first U2 concert. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in 1997 for the PopMart tour. It's the first time U2 has come here, and it feels like the whole town is excited in anticipation for the show. Finally the night arrives, it is a beautiful spring almost-summer night in mid-June.  Edmonton is pretty far north and at that time of year the sun sets so late, and I just remember how amazing it is to watch the show with the sun slowly setting behind the huge PopMart arch during my first U2 concert. It remains the best concert I've ever seen.

My first concert : The Rolling Stones live at the beautiful Feyenoord Stadium in Rotterdam (Netherlands) June 2, 1982

My father won a contest by writing a slogan for cassette-tapes.

I was very lucky that he took me with him to see that amazing concert even though I was only 8 years old back then. I remember the first song The Stones played was "Under my Thumb"

Of course I also remember Jaggers' moves all around the huge stage and all those 50.000 people enjoying it. Very impressive to a little 8 year old boy.

When I was 13 my father and I were back at the Feyenoord Stadium to see U2's fantastic Joshua Tree Tour. I've seen every U2 tour live since then.

Unfortunately my dear father passed away on 9 September 2014........exactly the day " Songs of Innocence" was released and the date that is printed on the LP sleeve.

That makes it just like Bono also my most personal U2 record.

One of my early concerts was Pearl Jam in 1991 or 1992. I had listened to their debut album and persuaded my boyfriend and my sister to come with me on the night. The concert was absolutely fabulous and we didn't regret coming there. After the gig one of the guitarists and the bassplayer came up to me and we chatted for a while. I wasn't at all starstruck, they were very down to earth and easy to talk to. It's a fine memory today when they play the same sort of arenas as U2. The big ones... And this was a small rock club. 

]Had a chance in 1985 to go see  The Alarm in Dublins Croke park, These supported U2 on there first real big gig in there home town. The concert changed everything for me. 

i didn't get U2 until i saw them live. Since then they have just got better and better live. Ever gig just becomes an event! a date on a calendar that becomes a special memory. Never let down and always suprised.

from the early days off walking out with the fans sing "40" HOW LONG!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the memories. 

post-552561-0-46164700-1412772957_thumb.jpg

The first life changing concert experience for me SHOULD have been attending the ZOO TV concert in Adelaide, 1993. I was offered a ticket by one of my friends at school, but as I was only in my early teens at the time (and had never been to a concert before), I was a bit reluctant to go along and so I gave it a miss. Oh, how I regretted that in the years to come! It’s probably the same feeling you might get if you saw a copy of Songs of Innocence on vinyl for $20, decide to not to buy it, and then it ends up being worth $1000 or more years later!

My first ‘proper’ concert experience happened when I saw Placebo play in Adelaide, 2nd May 1999. The concert was performed to an intimate crowd of around 2000 people, and it was during their first ever tour of Australia. They were supporting their second album, ‘Without You I’m Nothing’, which is regarded by most people as their best. U2 was my first ‘love’, and favourite band of all time, but my experience with Placebo was how I imagine it may have been for many fans who saw U2 play for the first time.

I stumbled across Placebo one day when I saw their video clip for ‘Pure Morning’, where Brian Molko walks down the side of a building. It was an amazing video, brilliant song, and it reminded me of the feeling I had when I first saw the video for U2’s ‘The Fly’ years earlier. In both instances, I didn’t know anything about the band, but they definitely looked cool and I had to know more about them.

The concert was held at a popular club in Adelaide called ‘Heaven’, which was occasionally held small concerts such as this one. My first impression of the stage and the room was that it seemed tiny, and I knew it was about to get very loud. I wonder if the members of Placebo ever thought they would be allowed through the gates of Heaven…in this case they were welcomed in.

I roped my brother older brother along to join me for the concert as none of my friends were in to Placebo (and still aren’t!). I had an interesting relationship with my brother when it came to music and I have to concede that he had much cooler taste in music than I did. He was always on top of the trends and a massive Nirvana fan, while I was almost the complete opposite. However, we found a little common ground with Placebo so he agreed to come along.

As we stood there, waiting for the band to come on, I remember feeling that I stuck out like a sore thumb (or sore nerd) amongst all the goths and cool people. Once the lights went down though, it didn’t matter, and I blended into the crowd as they cheered the band’s arrival on stage. What followed was an hour or so of pretty great rock music. Placebo played a mixture of their new album and also some older songs from their first album. Nancy Boy and Pure Morning were highlights.

While they haven’t reached the great heights of U2, this concert experience won me over and created a lifelong fan in me. U2 will always be my number 1, but there’s always room for a few others like Placebo along the way.

I do remember my very first concert ever…and it was a U2 concert! Rotterdam, 1987, the 10th of June. It was sheer magic – despite the cliché, it is like falling in love really; the moment you’ve been struck you realize, “oh, this is what they mean with falling…”

Anyway, I was sixteen and I finally had my parents agree to go to “that rock-show,” together with my friends and mates from school. And it was me that joined the queue one early Saturday morning to buy us all tickets. One of the most nerve-wrecking mornings of my life actually, not only because at 6 am the queue was already very long but also because I had more money in my pocket than ever before. The aim was to get us all – six or eight, I’m not really sure – the so-called “field-tickets.” But by the time I had reached the counter to buy the tickets, these field-tickets had already gone for both nights (U2 was about to play the 10th and 11th of June). What was left were seats on the second ring of the Kuip stadium. I thus bought the seats for the first night but I felt that I have let my friends down who had trusted me their money for the highly anticipated field-tix. I blamed myself for not getting more early in the queue (but what did I know?).

These were, of course, times without internet or cell phone. Only when I got back home I learned that the news had announced the fasted sell-out of concert tickets ever – it was U2 coming to Holland and everybody wanted to be there!

My friends were anxiously waiting for my return, slightly anticipating me coming back empty handed. So when I showed them the orange tickets, they were overly excited and celebrated me as a hero – or heroine actually!

From the show I remember us hanging over the railing of the second ring, singing and shouting like it was a championship match. And we all, the whole stadium came out winning. That feeling of community and friends I have felt over and over again at every U2 show I have attended until now: from Brussels to Boston, from San Diego to Gelschenkirchen and many, many times back home in Amsterdam. And the best concerts are those when “Streets” and “Pride” are sung so loud that even the boys themselves stumble a little on their feet – that’s when I remember my first concert and think, “ yeah, it was just like that!” The best concert ever, over and over again!

Magically, a little less cliché this time, a photograph of me at my first-concert-ever does exist for it had appeared in some Dutch newspaper. It was taken when fans higher up on the second ring enrolled a really large banner. I do remember this happening and you see me from the back watching the sight. I know who is me in the photograph because I am the only one with blond hair wearing a black Joshua Tree t-shirt and I am standing right behind the rail of the second ring – I’ve included the picture with an orange angle pointing at my head!

wisgnd.jpg

#unforgettablegig. My first concert. Thanks U2 for give me the best time of my life.

post-580340-0-71985500-1412775201_thumb.jpg

post-580340-0-89628900-1412775275_thumb.jpg

What to say? I do not know. But I have a certainty. U2 is the best band in the world. 

I'm from a town called St. Expedit - São Paulo, where he lives 3,000 people and had the courage to go alone to capital (São Paulo - SP) to see the big show of my life ... MY FIRST SHOW and surely will go down in my life date of April 11, 2011 at Morumbi Stadium - Sao Paulo, it is the band I'm a fan since my school days, where I would do my homework at a friend's house and when we put U2 to listen. Thank God and the intercession of Jesus Christ I could go watch the U2 concert, and God willing I will be in upcoming shows here in Brazil. I always accompany Bono's work as an activist, always creating a way to help the poor people of Africa and promote partnerships for benefit concerts to fight poverty. Seeing all this in one person, in a band of God, I am much happier knowing that people have as they help our world in the most affected part of world poverty. Undoubtedly this is "THE BAND" of all time and forever will be, and certainly seeing all this I fall more and more for this band that is U2, for his songs. 

- In the attached photo, I have a Bono lookalike, look through, I think one day this boy became a star for a few hours. kkkkkk 

- On the other, I'm in the stands, along with the structure of the U2 360 stage. 

- In the other photo of the screen, which appears Bono singing. 

- The other is a picture of my ticket U2 360. 

- In another'm with people of the State of Paraná - PR and Jundiaí - SP, where I met them in line. 

Many thanks U2, May God bless all of you on the walk with the band and also in their work around the world. 

This show will be the story of my life.

post-508396-0-34000900-1412777595_thumb.jpg

post-508396-0-24655300-1412777604_thumb.jpg

post-508396-0-72428900-1412777614_thumb.jpg

post-508396-0-92666900-1412777638_thumb.jpg

post-508396-0-85655700-1412777767_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nelson_soares

The Opening gig of ZOO TV, at the Lakeland Civic Center in Lakeland Florida on February 29, 1992 was the greatest concert of my life. Me and a group of friends waited 12 hours overnight to get tickets at a local music store/ticketmaster location. Out of three hundred people waiting in line I was one of six people to get the four ticket maximum. The concert sold out in 4 minutes.

Arriving before the concert, we watched as cars carrying the U2 members arrived. When Bono got out of the car he walked about 100 yards to our small crowd (50-75 people). He then stopped a few feet from the security line and made a wild twisting Elvis move that made the crowd go crazy. He then straight faced walked back to the arena without saying a word as the crowd cheered.  It was the coolest thing I have ever seen. Before that I was only a fan, since then I have been a fanatic.

The concert opening was awesome. Zoostation and the new Zoo TV screens were just incredible. It all blew everyone's mind. Nobody had known what exactly to expect. It was a wise choice to start out with 8 straight songs from Actung Baby, as it really made everybody, even the older fans, get into the new songs. Thoughout the second half of the concert, I was just praying they would keep playing one more song. As soon as it was over I was ready for more.

In closing, the concert had this electricity that I had never experienced before. And those of you who were there that guy outside the arena with the sign saying "I still haven't found what I'm looking for- U2 Tickets" he got in, he sat right behind me.   :)

U2 contest ‪#‎unforgettablegig‬

So, okay, before I was a HUGE U2 FAN I was a MASSIVE LED ZEPPELIN FAN. My first record I ever bought was In Through the Outdoor when it was released in 1979. I found out a tour would start in October 1980 and the only way to get tickets were by mail order and the order form was published in a full page ad. I was living in Milwaukee and would get tickets for the Chicago show on Nov. 12, my 16th birthday!!! The morning the tickets went on sale I got up at 6am to be sure to get the Chicago Tribune from the newspaper box. I grabbed the whole stack and went to school and shared them all with my friends. I kept the full page ad as a souvenir. Well, as we all know John Bonham died on Sept. 25 and the tour was cancelled. Man oh man did I cry!!!!

Now flash forward to 1985. Jimmy Page regroups with a new band, The Firm. I got tickets with a bunch of friends and we all took the bus downtown to the Milwaukee arena. Everyone was excited to see Jimmy Page! Well it was evident Jimmy was under the influence and it was a poor performance. It got bad reviews in the paper the next day. Nevertheless, it was TOTALLY WORTH IT to see my guitar hero play Dazed and Confused under a green laser pyramid!!! It was an #unforgettablegig !!!

Below is attached the full page ad (minus the order form), my refund letter from Chicago Stadium, The Firm ticket, and reviews. A photo of myself back in the day (colored Warhol style).

Pictures linked here https://www.facebook.com/kari.minks/posts/747060378683277

#unforgettablegig

In the fall of 1984, I saw my first of many shows. It was Black Flag at the Electric Banana in Pittsburgh, PA. I was a naive sophomore in a high school in the sticks (who had not been to the "Big City") and I had decided I wanted to be a punk. I started hanging around with some dudes and emersing myself in the music via the compilation cassette tape. (The songs were so short, it seemed like there were 100 on a 60 minute tape...)

They had talked about the bands they had seen and said that Henry and the boys were next. I didn't know many bands, but I had heard of Black Flag.

The night of the of the show, another friend and I meet up with the dudes and Sketchy Guy driving a white van with a couple of six packs. Being a straight edge at the time, I did not partake. And besides, we were underage. Drinking was against the law.

Roll up to the Banana and there are people everywhere. I did not know what to expect and I got it. Leather, mohawks, skater dudes. Kids smoking, under the influence of who knows what...what did I get myself into?

There was to be 3 bands - Saccharine Trust, Tom Tricoli's Dog and BF. For some reason the "Dog" did not play. ST started and it was loud. Everyone stood around and listened and cheered after each 2 minute opus.

After a short break, and a trip to the merch table - I had to get a BF shirt to wear to schoool the next day - the Flag it the stage. I was standing in the front of Henry and in no time the place erupted. Within seconds I was being pushed and shoved, pogo'ed into and nearly had my glasses knocked off my face. All I could think of was being trampled a'la the tragic Who show in Cincinnati. I managed to make my way over to the opposite side of the bar, in the back, out of the way.

Even at that distance, Henry Rollins was an itimidating figure on stage. Shirtless. Mic cord wrapped around his fist. Eyes closed belting out the lyrics to My War. The intensity did not waver for the entire set.

Emerging sweaty and ears ringing, I found Sketchy by the van as well as my buds. All reveling in what we had just seen. The ride home was filled of talk of what show would be next on the list.

Turns out the next show would be U2 at a slightly larger venue, the Civic Arena a few months later. We did not go with Sketchy in the van this time. We relied on Dad.

As a side note: I joined a band and we had the chance to play the Banana as one of our first gigs. I wore the shirt I purchased years earlier at the BF show in tribute

banana2_zps816e58e4.jpg

Edited by harg

the fifth time I saw u2 was  great 4/6/92 ,zoo tv tour.indoors at Birmingham nec.me and my meet were having a drink in the bar of a hotel,this lad told us about stories of  how bono had got him up at a gig anyway we all had a bit to drink than he got his guitar outand we all started singing u2 songs,than we got throw out.he was called john paul the second after the pope,he told us bono would be back stage at 4o.clock,so me and my mate went round and guest what he was right,got his autograph 3 times.my mate was wearing a pixies t-shirt,bono told him to check out  the support band on tonight the Fatima mansions.what a day.whar a gig fantastic,2 days later I went to Dortmund to see u2 {a coach trip},a great gig again but I missed my coach back home,i went back in the hall and just stay there,i saw the edge before this stage erecter took pity on me as I was in a bit of a steat,no passport and no money,him and his mate tried to follow the coach{the way they thought it might go,but to no avale,so he took me back to his home,got his young child out of bed so I could sleep there for the night,the next morning his mate came round took me to the british embassy in dusseldorf where they give me a letter to take to the dole office,they give me a train ticket and about 7 dm {dole money for 1 day} I got home the following day what a week what a gig what a great band