IMHO, there's a lot of evidence that we're almost certainly looking at a main stage/b-stage setup.  Not only the SAP picture you posted above, but also that at a bunch of other venues, the side the RZ is on seems to be on the other side from the main stage (e.g., other acts always have their main stages in their respective arenas in the same place as the SAP main stage above).  Plus, various tickets that folks have bought say "restricted view", etc., if they are on the other end away from the RZ, which would make no sense if the "RZ end" were at the main stage.  For full details, see my RZ section post viz. where the RZ is.

I realize that most other maps just show the rectangle, but given the "behind the stage" warnings, etc. mentioned above, it seems extremely unlikely that it's a true in-the-round kind of thing.

Re the connections between the b/RZ and main stages, who knows, but my bet's that it's a catwalk.   That would kinda divide GA into two sections, though, which would be a bit odd (although one could still cross around behind each stage, maybe).  A bridge would be cool and avoid this situation, but it'd have to be a pretty big bridge.

And re the "long lines" thing, good point.  I have no idea what these could be!

The long blue lines I think are jut part of the schematics of the drawing, I don't think they have any relevance on the stage design. 

Between the two outer blue lines, over the catwalk area, there appears to be a very narrow ellipse - perhaps the outline of a video screen suspended over the full length of the catwalk? Total speculation of course, but there's bound to be video used somewhere and that way it maximises visibility to the majority of the crowd.

I think the two narrow, elliptical, dotted lines along the catwalk are the double-sided screen.  An article recently mentioned that the screen would run between the main stage and b stage.  No idea about the longer lines though.

Ha, what's that saying about two great minds? lol

There's a lot of evidence that it's going to be a main stage (on the other end of the RZ) and a b-stage (w/the RZs by it), with a catwalk connecting them.  See my post in the RZ topic.  One thing that almost clinches it is that seats behind the main stage (i.e., at the other end from the RZ) at various venues have "limited view", etc. warnings attached to them.  That wouldn't happen if the main stage were by the RZs, or if they were really going to be "in the round".  But we'll see!

Also, check out Silviav's post on pg. 1 of this thread.  The Amsterdam diagram again suggests a main stage, with a major catwalk down the center and the RZ at the other end from the main stage.  Interestingly, the Amsterdam diagram does not appear to have an actual b-stage (although the SAP diagram does).  Also, the Invisible video sure looks a lot like the Amsterdam setup.  Any way you slice it, though, there's a bunch of evidence that the RZs are on the other side from the main stage.

Edited by mike7man

Those 31 dollar seats seem to indicate that there will be some sort of backdrop that will block or limit the view of those sitting in those sections.  I got 2 tickets in the equivalent section of 223 in Chicago2 and they say 'limited view'.  I'm not complaining because I'll be in GA the day before :)

On second thoughts could these not be the cables for Bonos mic? In the Invisible video he moves it with him when he walks down the catwalk.

Exactly (re the $31 "limited view" seats).  This is just the kind of accumulating evidence that suggests that the RZ is on the other side from the main stage.

Edited by mike7man

Did you get an RZ ticket? You seem really upset with the location of it  :P

The long blue lines are cables that Bono will use to send champagne and horse's doofers to the folks in the upper tiers that spent 300 bucks on a ticket.

The long blue lines I think are jut part of the schematics of the drawing, I don't think they have any relevance on the stage design. 

Yeah, I think the blue lines are the mechanism that make Bono fly...

Yeah, I think the blue lines are the mechanism that make Bono fly...

A bicycle is cheaper

Did you get an RZ ticket? You seem really upset with the location of it  :P

No, I didn't (buy an RZ ticket)--in part because I spent lots of time (too much!) first trying to figure out where the RZ was.  I must confess I was irked that the RZ's location wasn't made clear to begin with.  In any case, I'm also fine with its location--it preserves U2's history of regular GA being able to get the best positions of all (which was also true on the 360 tour).

I considered RZ for London but then realised for the price of one RZ I could get four GA almost so it was a no brainer!

this is so obvious .....

stage.jpg

Very good! Now I am convinced!

...  One thing that almost clinches it is that seats behind the main stage (i.e., at the other end from the RZ) at various venues have "limited view", etc. warnings attached to them.  ...

Well, I really hope that is not the case because that warning wasn't in place for all sales. According to yours description (and others) Sec 120 for Vancouver looks like it could be behind the stage and there is no limited view notice for that section.

It really shouldn't requiring sleuthing to figure out if tickets are 100% view or not.

...  One thing that almost clinches it is that seats behind the main stage (i.e., at the other end from the RZ) at various venues have "limited view", etc. warnings attached to them.  ...

Well, I really hope that is not the case because that warning wasn't in place for all sales. According to yours description (and others) Sec 120 for Vancouver looks like it could be behind the stage and there is no limited view notice for that section.

It really shouldn't requiring sleuthing to figure out if tickets are 100% view or not.

I agree completely--it should have been very clear--and it definitely hasn't been.  I don't typically gripe much about buying U2 tix, but on this issue I'm pretty bugged, I must admit.  It took me hours to figure this out; I'm sure many others would have been well-served by a clearer description.  Especially since it might be easy to assume (which appears to be wrong) that the RZs were by the main stage.

Edited by mike7man

Looks like Metallica's indoor set. They also have their stage in the middle of the floor.

I would think from looking at other arenas, that the stage is opposite the redzones. So if you are on the sides near the redzone, u will be facing the stage

What s/he said.  See lengthy thread on this subject ("Stage Design") a few topics below this one.

Edited by mike7man

I have RZ for LA1 and even though I am excited to be so close without having to wait in line all day, I have to believe that RZ will be behind a "B" stage if following the San Jose map.  There's no way they would bump the hardcore GA'ers from the front of a main stage behind the RZ.  This layout totally makes sense with the relatively intimate component to the show.  

I can picture it now: Bono and Edge finish a 2-3 song acoustic set with Every Breaking Wave...Edge makes his way back to a piano on the main stage with Bono on a stool and spotlight on the "B" stage signing back to him. That's when the "B" stage becomes the Main Stage.  Then they bust out into Until the End of the World to give Bono time to get back to the main stage (and gives him a rest before playing the bull (haha)!  Can't wait!

I really like that IE stage rendering as it will feel Inner Circle-ish, yet not totally.  

At the end of the day, an NBA basketball court is 94 feet long, so at worst you have to figure in RZ or GA, you will be 50-100 feet away from all the action the entire show (probably A LOT less) so I'm pumped where ever I stand!!!    

Edited by Jason D Newport Bch, CA

If you look closer to the San Jose picture, you can see there's 'band tech area' written at the 'stage' to the right (not the RZ side). 

So this might not be a stage but the place where the mixing desk is located and all guitars and other equipment is stored.

Sign in to follow this