I don't think Amsterdam is wrong at all. We just don't know how it will be put to use. Amsterdam does not have the round "Stage B" that is show in San Jose. All other stages seem to end in a rectangular shape. 

Guess we'll all find out soon enough. 

Well, not soon enough!  We'll all have bought tix by then.  Also, re Amsterdam, OK, they don't show a clear b-stage, but they do show the RZs are not by the main stage--which has to be at the open end.

I'm sure the San Jose plan is indicative of what the staging will look like. Most of the others are just simple block diagrams to give people a rough idea of where their seats are relative to the general stage area, but I don't for a minute think they should be taken as an accurate representation of the stage shape.

I love that U2 are always the innovators of live stages. First to have s catwalk into crowd a looming time ago in achtung baby indoor tour first to suspend speakers from ceiling they rock. Now it's just a normal thing to do all these things. Will be interesting to see what this stage will be like

this is so obvious .....

stage.jpg

Very good! Now I am convinced!

Agreed!

post-287001-0-70185600-1418511963_thumb.jpg

Credit to whoever originally came up with this as it's a neat idea, but I can't see it happening in reality - they're not going to want to give up that much additional floor area when it could be filled with people paying to be there and it would mean transporting extra staging and barricades so higher costs. All for no benefit as an arena isn't so wide that there's much to be gained by extending the b stage to the sides of the floor.

Yeah, I think Andy's got it right.  Plus, the RZs are tiny--no way they'd be rattling around in that much space (plus, how would they be able to get in and out?)

Credit to whoever originally came up with this as it's a neat idea, but I can't see it happening in reality - they're not going to want to give up that much additional floor area when it could be filled with people paying to be there and it would mean transporting extra staging and barricades so higher costs. All for no benefit as an arena isn't so wide that there's much to be gained by extending the b stage to the sides of the floor.

The concept is merely a schematic and likely not to actual scale. Barricades are cheap relative to everything else.

I don't think Amsterdam is wrong at all. We just don't know how it will be put to use. Amsterdam does not have the round "Stage B" that is show in San Jose. All other stages seem to end in a rectangular shape. 

Guess we'll all find out soon enough. 

The Platinum tickets for Amsterdam are in blocks 104 & 105, i.e.at the opposite end of the arena from the 'permanent' stage.  It seems very unlikely that Platinum seats would be at the opposite end of the arena from the 'main' stage.

Interesting idea.  So I just checked the platinum seats still available (many have already been sold) at 4-5 venues, and a clear pattern emerges.  Namely, some platinum seats are closer to to where I've suggested the main stage is, while others are closer to the RZs/b-stage.  Tellingly, the ones closer to the main stage are more expensive (in every case I've checked) than the ones closer to the RZs/b-stage.   For example, for Madison Square Garden #3 (Weds. July 22), platinum seats in 108 (closer to the main stage, farther from the RZs/b-stage) are $675, while seats in 103 (on the end by the RZs/b-stage) are $450.  For Amsterdam, then, it looks like the only platinum seats left are the (relatively!) less expensive ones closer to the RZs/b-stage.

Overall, then, the platinum ticket data seems to support the idea that the main stage is on the other end from the RZs/b-stage.

Edited by mike7man

As usual U2 has a different take on how they intend to use the venues:

Runway with square stage (drum kit and guitars) at the venue's usual stage end.

Large circular B stage at the other end connected with runway the length of the venue splitting the GA into two sides.

Red Zone on the runway at the circular stage - facing the Square stage.

But here's the twist:

Suspended above and along the runway is a double sided flat screen which is best viewed from the side seating.

That is why the cheap seats are at the two conventional ends of the venue as these will have restricted views of the main screens. (or none at all)

By making the best view from the side seats they are able to offer greater numbers of "Best" seats.

Took a bit of ferreting out to fathom that one - The San Jose plan offered unlocked that.

The reseller sites have been more helpful making it clear seating behind the square stage will have restricted views.

Good luck in todays sales those still looking.

Martin

I think Martin's basically got it, except I don't think the RZs are "facing" anywhere.  They're right up against the b-stage; presumably, in the RZ, you can face anyway you like, no?

I think Martin's basically got it, except I don't think the RZs are "facing" anywhere.  They're right up against the b-stage; presumably, in the RZ, you can face anyway you like, no?

I'd say this is the consensus view that's developed in this thread. I'm still not buying the I-e design, as well as the cost/capacity argument it would only work from one side of the arena, from the other side you'd basically get a-I

Hi Andy--

Yeah.  Too bad it took so much sleuthing and cogitating to figure it out, for heaven's sake!

Mike

Edited by mike7man

If you look at the seating here: http://www.sapcenteratsanjose.com/events/detail/u2-innocence-experience-tour-2015

And then at the interactive seating chart for Boston, you can see that the "main" stage appears to be OPPOSITE of the Red Zone AND that there are no seats available at the end by section 18.

Also, knowing Boston setup, the stage for most concerts is in the end by section 21, etc... therefore further making me believe that I am correct.. but who the hell knows haha

I so hope this isnt accurate.. and its a lucky guess by the venue.... I was so much more excited about the idea of a floor long single piece stage....... although in almost every map the red zones layout is just weird.... looks like a penis

The SAP venue map is just too detailed to not be right.  Plus, I called them and they confirmed that they got the layout directly from U2 productions.

Edited by mike7man

I so hope this isnt accurate.. and its a lucky guess by the venue.... I was so much more excited about the idea of a floor long single piece stage....... although in almost every map the red zones layout is just weird.... looks like a penis

One of the risks you run when you have your stages designed by a Willie

Looking around for some different venue maps, after noticing some of the venues in Europe O2's with nice 3-D cutaways, I noticed Stub Hub has different filtering options than TicketMaster. Thought I'd throw it out, if it can help.

Example:

post-410766-0-61799700-1418744371_thumb.jpg

One of the risks you run when you have your stages designed by a Willie

Maybe it's deliberate? After all many people do think Bono is a big cock..

I'm amazed nobody else has spotted that the stage design is clear in the tour poster. The lettering clearly shows the I and the E linked together. The I being the main stage and the e will form the b stage with the red zones enclosed within the e.

Looking around for some different venue maps, after noticing some of the venues in Europe O2's with nice 3-D cutaways, I noticed Stub Hub has different filtering options than TicketMaster. Thought I'd throw it out, if it can help.

Example:

attachicon.gifChi.jpg

Thank you explode!!  :)

One thing's for sure--the whole "strip" labelled "stage" that appears on many TM diagrams can't be right, or at least not at face value. The drums, amplifiers, guitars, stage tech crew, etc. have to be in a particular place--on one end or the other. They're not going to be moving all that up and down some relatively narrow center strip during the show. Rather, they'll mainly be "parked" on one end or the other

Actually, not necessarily. Drums in centre of the stage, hang amps from ceiling in each corner. That's how Metallica have it in arenas for their shows. Works great! The Edge's two racks can go next to Larry.

Metallica have no screens, but if you wanted them you can have LED lights or projection screens fold out from the ceiling (like in Elevation and Vertigo tours).

Well, maybe, but then the San Jose/SAP and Amsterdam diagrams are flat wrong, which seems unlikely.  Oh, and finally, the SAP diagram is quite detailed--I don't think that venue could just invent that out of thin air.  It's one thing to just be vague, like the TM diagrams, and another thing to be seriously detailed like the SAP map.  Further, I called the venue earlier today and they were clear that their (venue, not TM) diagram was taken directly from what U2 production had sent them.  But of course, bottom line, we very likely won't really know for totally sure until the shows actually start, unfortunately.  Finally, the Spears thing seems like a true center stage--and TM, etc. could have simply shown us center stage/in the round diagrams, which they didn't.

Are my eyes bad or do the Red Zones on the SAP/San Jose diagram say 50 patrons in each RZ? So, each RedZone only has 50 people each? That doesn't seem right to me. Sorry if this has already been asked....

You're right, that is what it says, and also gives the floor area being allowed per person in both RZ and in GA. More evidence that that plan is based on a detailed production drawing and is the most accurate representation we have of the stage layout.

Sign in to follow this