Nothing official yet.  Aargh.  I think it's really obnoxious that U2 hasn't clearly specified/released this--especially since knowing the design is critical to buying tickets intelligently.  Along the same lines, I can't imagine what the justification for withholding this could be.  I don't know, maybe some aspects of it aren't yet finalized or something (?)

I think your last line might answer your own concerns. However, I do seem to recall, although I could be wrong - that is was a few pics released from a fan in Europe (or manufacturer of the structures) initially that gave us a first taste of what the 360 rig was going to look like, before anything from official sources. That was of course, an outdoor rig on a huge scale so very difficult to keep under wraps.

With this tour thus far being an indoor tour with regards to venue - much more easy to keep things 'secret', keep fans guessing - all part of the excitement.

On a personal level, I just buy ticks without a real preference to position, it's the sound and general atmosphere that carry me, although I appreciate others consider and scrutinise these things more closely. Don't think your use of the word 'obnoxious' is well placed in fairness though in the context of the subject - final plans on set design etc etc would, I imagine, be a bit out of the band members control - they will, in my opinion, be more focused on the how their songs will work sonically and visually within the confines of where they have to work. They'll have input on 'tweaks' only at this stage I would suggest 3 months out from the start of the tour.

As usual it'll be up to the odd leaked picture or some formal tour marketing that might give us our first glimpse! :)

Another reason I like GA, takes all the headache out of this stuff, I'll worry about it when I start getting a bit creaky :P

I do think that we could see something interesting in terms of visual effects, there's a lot of great tech out there now and an indoor set provides many possibilities...call it feeling in the waters, could be wrong, but this designer seems that way inclined

I know it perhaps sounds a bit harsh, but I'd say "obnoxious" is perfectly fair.  Yeah, I know I said above that maybe aspects of the stage/set design might not be finalized (as a potential explanation), but the more I think about it, I don't think that adds up as a reasonable explanation.  At least 95%-plus of the stage setup has likely been fixed for quite a while now--probably since before the original tix went on sale.  Further, U2 themselves has always been quite involved/aware of the stage/set design through the years--no way they just hand this off to others.  And for many people in seats, it's a big deal to know what's up w/the stage.  Bottom line, right now, one just doesn't know what one is getting into w/many of the seat locations, and that's key to buying tix (at least for those who care where they are in relation to the band/stage)--and all this is all the more important given how expensive many seats are, not to mention major expenses for travel, hotels, etc.  And how are people supposed to judge whether to try for RZ tix without knowing these things?  And to top it all off, a few weeks back there was some kind of mistake/leak where the entire design was (very briefly) leaked, right here on u2.com--and then very quickly removed.  So again, it's not like any significant stage/set changes have been in the offing for some time now.  I don't mind being in the dark about the setlist, special effects, what they're wearing, whatever--but I do mind not knowing where my doggone (and very pricey) ticket is.  Now of course, for folks like you who aren't that concerned about these matters, no big deal, but for some of us it is.  And oh yeah--this is the first time this (i.e., no real info on the stage design prior to tix going on sale) has happened.  For 360, for example, the general setup was disclosed before any tix went on sale.

Bottom line, to be fair, if somehow major aspects of the stage/set design have really been up in the air (as you suggest?), OK, maybe all this makes sense--and if information to that effect eventually comes out, I'll eat my words.  But if, as I suspect, this has actually been essentially set for months, to not disclose this before tix went onsale is truly obnoxious.  After all, for folks like you, it's no big deal either way--but for folks like me, it's huge.

Nothing official yet.  Aargh.  I think it's really obnoxious that U2 hasn't clearly specified/released this--especially since knowing the design is critical to buying tickets intelligently.  Along the same lines, I can't imagine what the justification for withholding this could be.  I don't know, maybe some aspects of it aren't yet finalized or something (?)

I think your last line might answer your own concerns. However, I do seem to recall, although I could be wrong - that is was a few pics released from a fan in Europe (or manufacturer of the structures) initially that gave us a first taste of what the 360 rig was going to look like, before anything from official sources. That was of course, an outdoor rig on a huge scale so very difficult to keep under wraps.

With this tour thus far being an indoor tour with regards to venue - much more easy to keep things 'secret', keep fans guessing - all part of the excitement.

On a personal level, I just buy ticks without a real preference to position, it's the sound and general atmosphere that carry me, although I appreciate others consider and scrutinise these things more closely. Don't think your use of the word 'obnoxious' is well placed in fairness though in the context of the subject - final plans on set design etc etc would, I imagine, be a bit out of the band members control - they will, in my opinion, be more focused on the how their songs will work sonically and visually within the confines of where they have to work. They'll have input on 'tweaks' only at this stage I would suggest 3 months out from the start of the tour.

As usual it'll be up to the odd leaked picture or some formal tour marketing that might give us our first glimpse! :)

Edited by mike7man

It does seem like it is difficult to know how many seats you can sell on the floor, and for RZ, without having the stage dimensions pretty well locked down. So, while I'm not among the concerned, it doesn't seem possible that this is unknown information. 

To add to this..I was the U2 fan that  saw the leak and posted details on ATU2.com...I saw the leak on the website & I was accused by others of making it all up etc etc..

What I saw:

I randomly went to u2.com and there was the presentation and interactive stage presentation similar to the one used in 360 tour.

The stage is the long catwalk,with the guitar techinicans to the left of the stage and a mini orchestra was to the right of the stage (the EBW orchestra)  Band was in the middle of the stage, Larry's drumkit was on a round platform which I assume will turn.

There is a 360 double sided screen - I believe the screen will be one used in the RAI tv performance and graham Norton performance.

There was no B stage or a main stage.

The presentation must have been on the site for a minute.  It was them removed.  From what I saw it looked stunning.  Simple but modern

It was a damn lucky spot 13, the rest of us will have to wait, but I'm sure in the end we will all just enjoy seeing the band :)

I know it perhaps sounds a bit harsh, but I'd say "obnoxious" is perfectly fair.  Yeah, I know I said above that maybe aspects of the stage/set design might not be finalized (as a potential explanation), but the more I think about it, I don't think that adds up as a reasonable explanation.  At least 95%-plus of the stage setup has likely been fixed for quite a while now--probably since before the original tix went on sale.  Further, U2 themselves has always been quite involved/aware of the stage/set design through the years--no way they just hand this off to others.  And for many people in seats, it's a big deal to know what's up w/the stage.  Bottom line, right now, one just doesn't know what one is getting into w/many of the seat locations, and that's key to buying tix (at least for those who care where they are in relation to the band/stage)--and all this is all the more important given how expensive many seats are, not to mention major expenses for travel, hotels, etc.  And how are people supposed to judge whether to try for RZ tix without knowing these things?  And to top it all off, a few weeks back there was some kind of mistake/leak where the entire design was (very briefly) leaked, right here on u2.com--and then very quickly removed.  So again, it's not like any significant stage/set changes have been in the offing for some time now.  I don't mind being in the dark about the setlist, special effects, what they're wearing, whatever--but I do mind not knowing where my doggone (and very pricey) ticket is.  Now of course, for folks like you who aren't that concerned about these matters, no big deal, but for some of us it is.  And oh yeah--this is the first time this (i.e., no real info on the stage design prior to tix going on sale) has happened.  For 360, for example, the general setup was disclosed before any tix went on sale.

Bottom line, to be fair, if somehow major aspects of the stage/set design have really been up in the air (as you suggest?), OK, maybe all this makes sense--and if information to that effect eventually comes out, I'll eat my words.  But if, as I suspect, this has actually been essentially set for months, to not disclose this before tix went onsale is truly obnoxious.  After all, for folks like you, it's no big deal either way--but for folks like me, it's huge.

I'm sure you'll still go to the show even if you find out that you've got B- seats compared to A- seats, and I'm sure you'll still have a great time.

An orchestra?.......

Can someone point me to someone who has a precise (as of 2015) recollection of the redacted stage design presentation?

Edited by Sigma957

See the post by "13 senses" just a few posts above.  And the orchestra thing makes sense given the band's performances of "Every Breaking Wave" during their European promo tour (on various tv shows, etc.), which was a very nice (and very different) arrangement including a string section.

a lot of peeps have asked me to sketch/draw the stage design I saw on U2.com when they posted the Innocence & Experience Interactive Tour presentation by mistake.

I am not a very good sketch artist.. and draw it from a birds eye view - The link is below

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/theU2bonzo/media/U2%20stage%202015-page-001_zpsslyuijor.jpg.html

The drawing is made from the view of a birds eye view

We all know by know the stage is a long catwalk going across the GA floor..

So we have a rectangle shaped stage - the band will be able to utilise the stage bar Larry who will be on a turning circle stage.

There was amps and speakers I believe or other equipment's on the stage.  The orchestra was to the right of the stage and crew was to the left.

The screen is like a mini version of the 360 but its double sided LED screen on top of the catwalk stage going across the whole catwalk in 360 degrees.

Fans are right in the action as well as the red zones who I forgot to add to the drawing.  The set up reminds me of the Metallica stage from 2-3 years ago

as I said before set the set up is modern but it looked more stunning on the interactive presentation.  Nothing to complex not like 360

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/theU2bonzo/media/U2%20stage%202015-page-001_zpsslyuijor.jpg.html

Edited by 13 Senses

Awesome, thanks 13, I think it's going to feel really quite intimate for most with this set up.
So excited to see them in an arena, I much prefer arena's as a general rule, if for no other reason than you can't bet on the British weather :P

OK...FINALLY the stage setup is definitely resolved.  It is NOT a true center stage/in the round at all.  Rather, the San Jose map was right on all along--main stage on one end, b-stage on the other end (w/RZs by the b-stage), walkway in between.  Also, at least in these pics, doesn't seem to be any kind of heart/ellipse/etc.

Looks like the RZ's are all along the sides of the center walkway.  So the decision will be which way to go!

Yeah, the RZs look like that in the pic, but there's no way they'll actually be like that.  For example, there's way too few RZ tix/show (only 100 in all) to actually fill up the entire rail.  It would be totally weird to have a semi-deserted RZ "moat" that ran along the entire catwalk.  Plus, no way that regular GA would be completely off the rail.  For 360, for example, the RZs were outside the inner circle, where regular GA had direct access.  Finally, the TM maps (and even the best map of all--from the San Jose venue) clearly show the RZs by the smaller, b-stage.  Beats me why the "chalk lines" in the photo look like that, but I'd be shocked if the RZs are really that way.

fuck the red zones off and just have the fans fill it up like it used to be maybe?

Unfortunately I think there's every chance the RZ will be along the catwalk. No, those paint lines aren't set in stone, so we may be getting worried about nothing. But it was quite some time ago that tickets went on sale & that San Jose map was released, plans can change (I did think the initial plans for RZ on the San Jose map were a bit weird, as the sightlines from RZ to the main stage would have been bad, over the top of GA. I thought RZ would have been located on the far side of the b-stage, so sightlines towards the main stage looked over the b-stage & the catwalk).

A few fans are going a little nuts about this on Interference, @u2 & u2start (myself included, just a little). This set up is definitely not what we were 'sold' when we bought tickets (when RZ's were designated to one end of the arena, & GA had the rest of the floor). I'm just hoping that if it's the catwalk for the RZ, then it's just a single RZ, on one side of the catwalk. This appears to be the case in those photos. I'm also praying that if this is the layout for RZ, it doesn't extend all the way to the front-of-stage. RZ doesn't have the energy of GA, so having them right up front wouldn't be conducive to a good show. Also I think hardcore GA fans could riot!

post-359255-0-21821500-1430459463_thumb.jpg

Edited by ddarroch

Also looks like the camera & track runs along the RZ side of the catwalk. A small bonus for GA.

I am really bummed out and disappointed in the stage setup.  I tried for GA in the Vancouver presale but could only get seats.  They looked good when I got them according to the seating chart but like many others over time I became concerned they were behind the stage, and sure enough they are.  Had I any inclination prior I would have bought seats that faced the stage.  I am sure it will be a decent experience but not what I wanted or would have chosen if I would have known. What's the deal with the lack of info?  They may think it's neat to have it be a surprise but it shouldn't come at the expense of some of the fans. 

Edited by bradlyh

I don't know how the stage will be oriented inside the venue. I bought VIP seats 6 rows up from the Red Zone (as depicted in the Ticketmaster diagram). The listing specifically said "in the round". So if there's a Main Stage, I either have incredible seats, or I paid VIP prices to be near the back.

I'm a bit puzzled, and kinda bummed if it turns out we're in the back relative to a Main Stage. I guess there's really no way of knowing until we get there. I wish it had been clearer.

But...it's U2, so it will be good no matter what.

^_^

Red zone tix for MSG are going for 1000 each up- to like 13000! On stub hub! Anyone know what the face was- I never had a chance for them in the onsale/presale - lucky for GA - lucky red zoners! That's what they paid up for! hope no one buys resale- intention was for charity--

Edited by nitz1

the stage looks good. I don't know if the RZ will go all the way along but I don't have tickets for any shows. 

I hope things work out for everyone who has normal GA.

Sign in to follow this