Red zone tix for MSG are going for 1000 each up- to like 13000! On stub hub! Anyone know what the face was- I never had a chance for them in the onsale/presale - lucky for GA - lucky red zoners! That's what they paid up for! hope no one buys resale- intention was for charity--

@$370-ish I think.

Maybe the RZ does run along the catwalk on one side - as shown in these images, and maybe they plan to fill this area using something similar to the lottery system for the Elipse on the Vertigo Tour. So, all RZ ticket holders have guaranteed entry into this area, and the area is then filled with other GA, either by lottery or 'first come first served' ?

It will be interesting to say the least. I have GA for LA, and RZ for NYC, and I definitely don't want the RZ to have an empty or sparse feel to it. Pretty sure the band wouldn't do that. Even though the RZ tickets were a small fortune, I have no problem with the area being filled to the max with other GA'ers, of which I will be one in LA.

We'll soon see I guess. I have to agree with some previous comments though - I think we could have all been slightly better informed on these issues, whilst still retaining a huge element of surprise for showtime !

Hmm.  That's an interesting thought--sort of a combo RZ and lottery/regular GA/inner circle thing.  That would make way more sense than a quasi-empty RZ all along the rail.  We'll see, but I still think the RZs won't be like this, though--I bet they're by the b-stage, as all the TM and San Jose venue maps show.

Stage will be good, and the tour motif is excellent.

There's never a bad seat at a U2 gig if you listen to the music and avoid the noise.

The band will certainly be close to just about everyone in the arena at some stage of the show. Looks like a great design. Though I do feel for those that now discover they have seats behind the 'I' stage, as this was never disclosed.

Edited by ddarroch

Maybe the RZ does run along the catwalk on one side - as shown in these images, and maybe they plan to fill this area using something similar to the lottery system for the Elipse on the Vertigo Tour. So, all RZ ticket holders have guaranteed entry into this area, and the area is then filled with other GA, either by lottery or 'first come first served' ?

It will be interesting to say the least. I have GA for LA, and RZ for NYC, and I definitely don't want the RZ to have an empty or sparse feel to it. Pretty sure the band wouldn't do that. Even though the RZ tickets were a small fortune, I have no problem with the area being filled to the max with other GA'ers, of which I will be one in LA.

We'll soon see I guess. I have to agree with some previous comments though - I think we could have all been slightly better informed on these issues, whilst still retaining a huge element of surprise for showtime !

Interesting, though I can't see it happening, as the original promo material does state that "The (RED) Zone gives you access to an exclusive VIP area directly adjacent to the Stage". Some mightn't feel too exclusive if others from GA are allowed in. Though I'm like you, & wouldn't have a problem with it. In any case it won't be 'filled to the max'. RZ is a more 'leisurely' experience. For 360, RZ was quite crowded by the rail, & very sparse at the back. So you had the choice to jump around like a madman with everyone else, by the catwalk, or just chill out further back & enjoy the show. Best of both worlds. If they filled it up like regular GA is certainly wouldn't be leisuely, front of GA is darn right squishy. I'm thinking that the RZ will take up part of one side of the catwalk. Just enough room on the catwalk so the RZ crowd would be 2-3 people deep (say 40 RZ'ers on the rail), so wouldn't have to be quite the full length of the catwalk I think. Just a little bit more additional room further back in RZ, for people to chill out, then a single barrier separating RZ from the seathing mass of GA. I think the energy in RZ would still be great with this layout, particularly with GA directly behind. Also, last tour RZ had folding chairs at the back of the area, no mention of it this tour. Maybe because GA will be hanging over that back RZ rail, so it wouldn't be suitable for seating? RZ does need access, so I'd expect it would extend down one side of the b-stage. This layout does take up a little room, but not too bad. Also it doesn't put the GA crowd too far from the catwalk, probably no more than the distance from the crowd to the band at a stadium show or festival. Plus the band would still be able to work off the energy of the closer GA crowd on the other side of the catwalk. In any case, while the band do use the catwalk a fair bit, they'll spend the majority of the show on one of the stages, where the crowd will be closer to the band.

Just some thoughts. I'm hoping that RZ is by the b-stage, as Mike says.

Edited by ddarroch

I don't know how the stage will be oriented inside the venue. I bought VIP seats 6 rows up from the Red Zone (as depicted in the Ticketmaster diagram). The listing specifically said "in the round". So if there's a Main Stage, I either have incredible seats, or I paid VIP prices to be near the back.

I'm a bit puzzled, and kinda bummed if it turns out we're in the back relative to a Main Stage. I guess there's really no way of knowing until we get there. I wish it had been clearer.

But...it's U2, so it will be good no matter what.

^_^

I think you'll be just fine. I think you'll be at the opposite end to the 'I' stage, but reasonably front on, so will have good views of that part of the stage. I think it may have been called in-the-round because the band will spend a fair amount of time on each of the two stages (the 'I' & the 'e'), so will spend a fair bit of time on each side of the arena. So when the band performs on the 'e' stage, which may be for a pretty good portion of the show, you'll be very close, it'll be great! As you're not totally front on (at the end of the arena), you'll also have good views of the screen above the catwalk. I any case, I'm sure all VIP tickets will have great views. Edited by ddarroch

Utwothefly just had a very interesting idea about the apparent RZ "moats" running all along the walkway--namely, that they may simply mark paths for people to get into and out of the actual RZs.  If so, this would make sense w/all the prior info (the San Jose arena map, the TM maps), which clearly show the RZs only by the b-stage.

Yeah, it's an interesting idea, but as I said on the other post, I think that it's too great a distance, just to gain access. You'd have to do it twice to visit the bathroom, & that's still only getting you just off the floor. Gaining access to RZ from the corners (near section 103 & 113) would be a more sensible option. It'd be what, less than 10 metres to leave the floor. Once the shows started it would certainly be an experience, having to walk past the entire length of the catwalk, plus the F-O-S area. GA heaving on the barrier, camera wizzing by on it's tracks. Not a very VIP experience (though I think it could be fun).

I do think the original location of the RZ's, as described on the San Jose map (which as you say, has been accurate in every way), is the most sensible location. If not the best location (I'd pick e-stage rail, right at the end of the arena floor). But those pesky red lines on the ground are doing my head in. Can't wait to find out! Can't wait to see U2 live!

Edited by ddarroch

Good points, ddarroch.  RZ access from those corners would make more sense (vs. corridors along the entire walkway).  Yeah, guess we'll have to wait until the first actual date to really know for sure where the doggone things really are (unless more leaked pics come out that show the actual barriers up first).  By the way, what's the "F-O-S" area?

F-O-S, or FOS, is "front of stage". So the rail of the main stage, which I assume is the I-stage.

So in this situation you'd have to walk the full length of the catwalk, turn the corner at the front of the stage (right under Bono's mic no doubt), & then procede off to the side of the main stage. All while the band is performing right beside you on the main stage, the GA crowd going nuts on the other side. Can't see this happening.

Yeah, I'm not a betting man, but if I was I'd have no idea what to put my money on! I don't care too much. I'd probably hope RZ was by the catwalk. Just because I'm in GA, selfish, & would like a spot on the e-stage rail for at least one show ;)

Edited by ddarroch

This is my first U2 concert, in all of the excitement and lack of sufficient funds, I purchased tickets for LA Night 1 that I thought were decent enough. As in, there was no "Restricted View" detail when ordering. And there still isn't as far as I can tell (section 233), but I'm afraid now that they may not be as decent as I thought.

Honestly though, while I'll be a little bummed if it turns out that they are at the rear of the stage, I'll still be quite excited for it all. I mean, I can't imagine being so terribly disappointed with my seats that it'll ruin the entire night for me. If anything, it'll be a one of those funny stories... about my first U2 concert and my bad seat. ;)

Hi fearthephenom,

I'm sorry to tell you that you this, but you won't have any stories about poor seats ;) Actually I think you've done very well with section 233! They're obviously not the best seats in the house, but I'm sure they are also not the most expensive seats in the house either. For some venues (like London's O2), I wouldn't want to get seats in the top tier (it's so high & steep that some people get vertigo). I've never been to The Forum, but some people say it's smaller than most venues on this tour, & seats in the top tier are pretty good.

No, I don't think you'll be behind the main stage (I-stage). If you look at Ticketmaster's original seating plan, your seats are at the same end as the Red Zones. This is the end where the smaller e-stage will be, so you'll be pretty close to this stage (though the RZ's may have moved now). So when the band performs on the main I-stage, you'll be at the opposite end of the arena, but have quite front on views. When the band performs on the e-stage you should have great views. You should also have pretty good views of the LED screen over the catwalk.

I have GA for all my shows. But if I was looking for seats I'd be looking for some like these. I think these are great value tickets!

Edited by ddarroch

For some venues (like London's O2), I wouldn't want to get seats in the top tier (it's so high & steep that some people get vertigo).

The back of the top tier is actually quite frightening. I mistakenly bought some seats up there for Monty Python, and felt as if I could easily fall all the way to the bottom when standing up!  Very steep. 

The front is good though. I have front row top tier for one of the shows in Oct which is effectively just above the Exec boxes.

GA for two other shows though! ;)

Thanks very much Bungo. That's great to know, as I had been considering a seat for London 4. I did notice on AXS that some of those front rows in the top tier were still £165 (on the sides of the arena). That's WAY out of my budget. I'll have to hope that some more seats are released for the the ends of the arena, at the front of the upper tier, & hope they're signficantly cheaper too.

Yeah, it's an interesting idea, but as I said on the other post, I think that it's too great a distance, just to gain access. You'd have to do it twice to visit the bathroom, & that's still only getting you just off the floor. Gaining access to RZ from the corners (near section 103 & 113) would be a more sensible option. It'd be what, less than 10 metres to leave the floor. Once the shows started it would certainly be an experience, having to walk past the entire length of the catwalk, plus the F-O-S area. GA heaving on the barrier, camera wizzing by on it's tracks. Not a very VIP experience (though I think it could be fun).

I do think the original location of the RZ's, as described on the San Jose map (which as you say, has been accurate in every way), is the most sensible location. If not the best location (I'd pick e-stage rail, right at the end of the arena floor). But those pesky red lines on the ground are doing my head in. Can't wait to find out! Can't wait to see U2 live!

Hmm.  Some further thoughts about the RZ.  If the RZ is indeed along the catwalk (as it appears to be in the photos), this will lead to a strange RZ dynamic.  Namely, when the band is on the main stage, RZers would crowd down to that end (indeed, in the photo, the RZ seems to extend all the way down to the front of the main stage), and vice versa when they're at the b-stage.  So, as opposed to the 360 tour, there would be a lot of movement/milling around in the RZ, with various largish portions of it being essentially empty depending on where the band is.  Not exactly a relaxing VIP experience, I'd say, and kind of strange optically (and wasteful of space).  Also, even though it appears (?) in the photos that the RZ is only on one side, lots of venues (all?) have sold RZ1 and RZ2 tickets, which certainly would suggest two sides (as in 360).  I'm also thinking that (again, if it's real) the "catwalk" RZs are (mostly) less obnoxious to regular GA than I thought at first, as they mainly give rail access to the catwalk, not the stage(s)--except, again, that the RZ does seem to go right down to the main stage (but only a piece of it).  This too (the mainly catwalk rail access) would be (mostly) analogous to the 360 RZs, which basically gave RZ folks the rails of the sides of the circle/ellipse catwalk.  Finally, though, again what still seems very odd/unlikely to me is how large the apparent "catwalk RZ" area is, given how few RZ tix there are.  If you look at the photos, this RZ takes up maybe 1/4 or at least 1/5 or so of the entire GA floor on that side--which is going to look very sparse.

If its like any other band with VIP sections it will be more full than they say. Believe me if they thought they could sell tickets and fill that whole section at £200.00 a head they will.

It might be slightly more spacious than parts of the GA section but it will be full.

Well, who knows, but it would take a major increase of people--really major--to fill up an RZ that went along the entire catwalk.  For the 360 tour, it looked like the RZs actually had the number of people that U2 said it would.  Now, we've been told that the RZ is only 50 per side (which also suggests RZs on both sides, not just one).

How many GA's were sold for each venue - approximately you think? I see most think there were only 100 RZ sold. Where was that confirmed. Just curious. They can pack em in the GA more than the seats - Hard for me to remember back  to earlier tours- GA in 360 was so different as it was so large - All the venues had tons of room except from about halfway back center - I know I moved around alot at Giants Stadium and Croke Park  and at GA for Elevation I stuck to the back of the floor as there was more room - Had the bomb shelter for Vertigo and it does make a big difference being up close especially in an arena.  As I mentioned in another post had RZ for Giants Stadium and didn't love it - stage was too high - did not get enough of the visual experience and really didn't feel close to the band even though I was!

How many GA's were sold for each venue - approximately you think? I see most think there were only 100 RZ sold. Where was that confirmed. Just curious.

From the San Jose map (which has been very accurate so far), there's a couple of options. If my eyes don't decieve me, I think it says,

1,500 GA's (at a crowd density of 7 SQ FT per patron), or 2,700 GA's (at a crowd density of 5 SQ FT per patron). Don't know how they get to these figures, they don't seem to add up.

That same San Jose map shows there is 50 patrons in each of the 2 Red Zones. I also thought it said 5 SQ FT per patron for RZ. But that wouldn't make sense, maybe it says 9 SQ FT.

post-359255-0-71503000-1430699577_thumb.jpg

Edited by ddarroch

How many GA's were sold for each venue - approximately you think? I see most think there were only 100 RZ sold. Where was that confirmed. Just curious.

From the San Jose map (which has been very accurate so far), there's a couple of options. If my eyes don't decieve me, I think it says,

1,500 GA's (at a crowd density of 7 SQ FT per patron), or 2,700 GA's (at a crowd density of 5 SQ FT per patron). Don't know how they get to these figures, they don't seem to add up.

That same San Jose map shows there is 50 patrons in each of the 2 Red Zones. I also thought it said 5 SQ FT per patron for RZ. But that wouldn't make sense, maybe it says 9 SQ FT.

Thanks - Ididn't realize the map had specific figures- now I see where the numbers came from-I,m guessing at least 1500 on the floor- thats actually quite a few people---

Hmm.  Some further thoughts about the RZ.  If the RZ is indeed along the catwalk (as it appears to be in the photos), this will lead to a strange RZ dynamic.  Namely, when the band is on the main stage, RZers would crowd down to that end (indeed, in the photo, the RZ seems to extend all the way down to the front of the main stage), and vice versa when they're at the b-stage.  So, as opposed to the 360 tour, there would be a lot of movement/milling around in the RZ, with various largish portions of it being essentially empty depending on where the band is.  Not exactly a relaxing VIP experience, I'd say, and kind of strange optically (and wasteful of space).  Also, even though it appears (?) in the photos that the RZ is only on one side, lots of venues (all?) have sold RZ1 and RZ2 tickets, which certainly would suggest two sides (as in 360).  I'm also thinking that (again, if it's real) the "catwalk" RZs are (mostly) less obnoxious to regular GA than I thought at first, as they mainly give rail access to the catwalk, not the stage(s)--except, again, that the RZ does seem to go right down to the main stage (but only a piece of it).  This too (the mainly catwalk rail access) would be (mostly) analogous to the 360 RZs, which basically gave RZ folks the rails of the sides of the circle/ellipse catwalk.  Finally, though, again what still seems very odd/unlikely to me is how large the apparent "catwalk RZ" area is, given how few RZ tix there are.  If you look at the photos, this RZ takes up maybe 1/4 or at least 1/5 or so of the entire GA floor on that side--which is going to look very sparse.

Yeah, it would certainly be an interesting FREE-FLOWING dynamic. Not sure it'll be any less of a VIP experience, it'll actually give the RZ'ers an opportunity to follow the action, instead of being couped up at one end of the arena, a long way from the action. But Red Zone on 360 wasn't all VIP with champagne and canapes anyway. Once the shows started if you're on the rail, or close to it, it was pretty much like being in GA anywhere. Just with the opportunity to easily move further back & chill out if you liked. Attached below is an image of RZ for 360. It's actually quite hard to find a decent image, that's well lit, once the show's started, so you know it's filed to it's capacity. Towards the front of the stage, RZ was probably packed 8-10 deep from the rail, so really it's a GA experience there. Towards the rear of the stage it was only 2-3 deep, so more chilled. On average, what, 5 deep?

RZ is always wasteful on space, no matter where you put it. There's always going to be large empty pockets, far from the rail. I guess in the case of RZ along the catwalk, that wasted space will just move to where ever the band is not performing. If we are looking at a catwalk RZ, I'd expect it to be just on one side. I'd hope it doesn't extend all the way down to the I-stage, but who knows. Say it's 120 people (2 x 50, plus 20 guest listeners), in 20% of the area of that side of the arena (I wouldn't expect RZ to continue along the e-stage, other than access). From the San Jose, GA on each side of the arena is say 750-1,350, for 80% of the area. So I don't think the numbers stack up quite that badly....... I've just had a thought, & will get on the desktop, use paint.net & run some numbers.

Also I'd heard that the Pacific Coliseum's floor arena is actually quite small, compared to most arena's. I guess it's an average hockey rink, but I don't know how that stacks up, compared to the arenas on this tour. If the floor area of the arenas on tour are larger than this, there will be more room for GA.

The only real problem I see is that it the free-flowing nature of this may be a little bit dangerous. If RZ'ers go crazy following Bono down the catwalk (though there's obviously going to be security in there to slow them down).

..... ok, time to go run some numbers.

post-359255-0-17009900-1430705557_thumb.jpg

That's a great shot!  Somehow, even after going to the shows and seeing the concert DVD I still can't get over how big this whole thing was, everything from the size of the stage to the size of the crowd.

I did one show for Red Zone on the 360 tour, and I ended up standing near the rear of the section, probably about where the bridge ends in that shot.  I was able to be right up against the rail and didn't have anyone behind me or even very close to my on the side.  I went to that show with my mom, who's also a big U2 fan, but isn't as keen on waiting in line for hours and standing the entire show, so the Red Zone was the perfect compromise between my desire to be on the floor and her (very reasonable) desire not to stand for ten hours.  They had folding chairs against the rail at the end of the section (not the one adjacent to the stage) before the show that we were able to relax on beforehand, and I guess someone came and took them away just before the band started?

We had such a good time doing it that way that we're doing Red Zone again this tour for the show I'm going to with her.  At first I had a little sticker shock at the price, but given that the lower level tickets for $300, paying $350 to be on the floor didn't seem as outrageous when put into that context.  Of course, as a number in and of itself, it's pretty crazy!  But it's gonna be great!

I'm bored, & have too much time on my hands this week. This may be of no interest to anyone, or maybe just Mike's interested.

Using pixel counts on paint.net, here are some calculations of the floor area used by fans (see the attached image below).

A: Original San Jose Map; GA = 93%, RZ = 7%

B: Catwalk RZ (full length); GA = 89%, RZ = 11%

C: Catwalk RZ (partial length); GA = 93%, RZ = 7%

If they go down the catwalk RZ route, maybe it will be something between B & C.

post-359255-0-49785200-1430713427_thumb.jpg

Edited by ddarroch

Sign in to follow this