Sign in to follow this  
pao6cs

Message to Bigwave - Presale Debacle - for all U2 Fans

I had no problem with first San Jose show. Seats aren't quite as good as I hoped for with the purchase being complete by 10:02 AM PST, but I'm glad no major issues like on the east coast. Sorry you folks had to deal with that...there's no word in the English language that adequately describes the anger, frustration and sadness that goes along with TM failures.

I had no problem with first San Jose show. Seats aren't quite as good as I hoped for with the purchase being complete by 10:02 AM PST, but I'm glad no major issues like on the east coast. Sorry you folks had to deal with that...there's no word in the English language that adequately describes the anger, frustration and sadness that goes along with TM failures.

Maybe we should call it TMS - Ticketmaster S#%$

Problems with Ticketmaster are long-standing and endemic. Any big ticket sale sends their servers into a tailspin. U2 presale is no different than a Springsteen concert sale or any other major event. TM simply doesn't care to fix the problems because they don't have to. They have very long-term exclusive distribution agreements with the major venues - like Madison Square Garden. If U2 wants to play MSG, they must distribute the tickets via TM. TM will make its money regardless of how long it takes to get tickets to the end users. Having a lousy server doesn't cost them anything - the shows will sell out and they will make their money. They have no incentive to fix anything because upgrading their systems means they actually have to spend money without increasing their revenue

This is a problem with dealing with a monopoly. The band and their agents very little influence over the situation. They can beg and plead "please fix this, our fans are upset", but TM can (and does) simply shrug their shoulders and say "so go find another venue and by the way, we control distribution at every top level venue in the US, so good luck with that."

If you have been a member of the fan club for ten years then you surely must remember that during the Vertigo tour there were problems with the presale.  Larry wrote an open letter apologizing to the fans and we were issued more codes.

Horrible! I've been in the Fan Club for ~10 years. I maintain my membership partly for presale opportunities. I have such a sour taste in my mouth. TicketMaster takes most of the blame, but I blame you for not confirming that TM can handle the volume. Took me 95 minutes, and I had to settle on GA admission. I wanted to purchase more expensive packages, but the website would not let me. Subsequent to my purchase, I hear that TM is working on the problem. Well f-ing great! Too late. I blew my measley 2-ticket GA load already. I guess we are just cattle. 

Then you must remember that the same thing happened during the Vertigo presale?  Larry issued an open letter and we were given more codes.  I seriously doubt this whole code thing is over in any event.  I'd bet everything I own that they are going to give us another code eventually.  I'm sorry you got GAs and not seats but most people in here are looking for GAs.  Perhaps you could arrange a trade or something of the sort when the resale thread gets started?  It's never over until the show's over.  You'd be amazed what I've achieved the day of the show.  You just have to be polite and persistent and most box offices are more than happy to work with you.

I guess it's natural to kick out at U2.com and Bigwave although I have to say that I've found the guy really helpful in this last 24hours when I realised a tour had even been announced and struggled to upgrade. That said my own view is that I do think there are things that could have been clarified better, for the benefit of all subscribers. 

1. Two shows: I think people would have been happy to know the difference between the two shows as there's been talk of a main show and an acoustic show. Admittedly nothing from the band but they (and this site) must have been aware of the talk, fuelled by themselves in recent interviews. Then there's whether you can get tickets for both shows, or just the one. 
  2. Number of tickets: I know I was looking forward to buying 4 tickets for me and my family, as I've done before. I understand why there might not be as many available for sale but pre-warning would have been good. Well more than 24hours anyway!
  3. Notice: some are saying that to put expensive gigs on sale just weeks from Christmas isn't great timing. I'm lucky not to be affected by this but can understand why some might be and feel for them. In truth just a few days warning might have helped some because it probably matters not when tickets go on sale, not everyone can / will afford them. 
  4. Dublin: as someone who wants to see the band in their home town after seeing them elsewhere in the UK it's a shame that there's not yet more details on Dublin because today I've not been sure whether to wait and use my code for these dates, or buy tickets. I waited and now run the risk of not being able to get Dublin tickets. I'll be annoyed if this is the case. 
  5. Membership: in the past I remember there being a couple of weeks between the announcement and tickets going on pre-sale. This has given us that had not update our membership the chance to do so in time for the pre-sale. This has been difficult with such short notice and means that, although I've been a member since 2009 (paying mostly) I'm just an 'innocence' member so have lost out. 
  6. U2 look after their fans - we only have to hope that over the coming days more clarity will be provided, along with more info and dates. Well done to those who have tickets, I hope to be joining you in the coming week or two. 
  7. As I say my dealings with Biglwave - when he approached me to help yesterday - have been good, so let's no single out people for grief when they're clearly answering so many queries.. 

I'm not buying tickets yet, largely because all five Vancouver shows I've attended since 1992 have been disappointments. I'm hoping for an earlier pair of shows to be announced for Washington or Oregon.

Also, with credit cards apparently being required for entry to the shows, I am concerned that using my card in a foreign country (i.e. Canada) could present some kind of difficulty.

Lastly, having been a fan club member since summer 1987, I, too, am disappointed that the process of getting tickets has become so difficult for us. Even though sending in checks for Popmart tickets was awkward -- the new company handling tickets for the tour was slow to confirm if we'd gotten seats or not -- it was far less stressful than what we're subjected to, nowadays.

to balance things out....glad to report that there were zero problems with the uk presale this morning.

Yeah, none with mine either in the UK, and certainly none that could be levelled at Bigwave, who frequently goes above and beyond for fans on this forum.

Blame ticket master, but addressing this to BW is not only missing the mark, but massively unfair. Believe you me, in this particular man-machine, the man is a good'un.

Very disappointing.  What was once the premeire organization in regards to making sure loyal fans got the best seats to shows...has now just become like all the others: listening to the "ticketmaster" way of doing things and simply accepting it.  We've all seen countless concerts over the years, so I don't need write a 30 year list for shows here in L.A....but I will say this....  the next artist who maintains or increases their thanks for loyalty will be the first.  Do I think I'm entited to rewards beacuse of that loyalty?  Absolutely not, and I'm not implying that.  Nor am I saying the band deserves myself or others front row seats to every show.  What I am saying is that 10-20 year longtime fans (who have paid CONSTANTLY, even without tours some years I might add) should not be given same priority as someone who signed up 6-12 months ago.  Sorry folks, it's just how I feel.  The notion that the band wants to brings in newer fans sounds great in concept, but was immediately debunked when I saw the ticket prices this morning.  General admission aside, here in L.A., decent seats starts at $300, and the top seats are $595!!!  

The ticket limit is even more disappointing.  I've read that it was because it's an "indoor event" opposed to outdoor.  Ummm, moderators at U2.com -- that's not correct.  It didn't take me long to look up the emails from other "indoor" tours...."This presale codes allows you to purchase up to 4 tickets for the tour".  From Zoo Station to Vertigo and in between...never was there a 2 ticket limit at time of the tour annoucement.  

So, just that I'm not missing something --- U2 announces a tour; They say pairs of the shows will be in each city because they "We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two and have some fun playing with the idea of innocence and experience. More to be revealed!”.........

....and they only allow U2.com members (including some who have been here years and years and years) only one of those shows.  They get to see 50% of the experience.  Anyone who says they can buy 1 ticket to each show in not touch with reality....   about .0001% people go to a show alone.

wow.

Edited by steveie9

After holding $300 on my cards for an attempt to renew my existing membership, livenation repeatedly held my money whilst declining my cards for an address failure (I had capital one on the line with me to verify all information was accurate), they told me too bad and I could go no further. Fine, got my funds released and was put into a new membership via my husband. That set me into the innocence group, tolerable and livenation's issue.

What I find disappointing and infuriating is that I see numerous people on here having issues getting their tickets and yet vivid seats have numerous tickets available for both Phoenix shows at astronomical prices. Are these basketball season ticket holders selling their seats or have we been had by scalpers AGAIN?

Maybe we should call it TMS - Ticketmaster S#%$

I like it!

I guess it's natural to kick out at U2.com and Bigwave although I have to say that I've found the guy really helpful in this last 24hours when I realised a tour had even been announced and struggled to upgrade. That said my own view is that I do think there are things that could have been clarified better, for the benefit of all subscribers. 

1. Two shows: I think people would have been happy to know the difference between the two shows as there's been talk of a main show and an acoustic show. Admittedly nothing from the band but they (and this site) must have been aware of the talk, fuelled by themselves in recent interviews. Then there's whether you can get tickets for both shows, or just the one. 
  2. Number of tickets: I know I was looking forward to buying 4 tickets for me and my family, as I've done before. I understand why there might not be as many available for sale but pre-warning would have been good. Well more than 24hours anyway!
  3. Notice: some are saying that to put expensive gigs on sale just weeks from Christmas isn't great timing. I'm lucky not to be affected by this but can understand why some might be and feel for them. In truth just a few days warning might have helped some because it probably matters not when tickets go on sale, not everyone can / will afford them. 
  4. Dublin: as someone who wants to see the band in their home town after seeing them elsewhere in the UK it's a shame that there's not yet more details on Dublin because today I've not been sure whether to wait and use my code for these dates, or buy tickets. I waited and now run the risk of not being able to get Dublin tickets. I'll be annoyed if this is the case. 
  5. Membership: in the past I remember there being a couple of weeks between the announcement and tickets going on pre-sale. This has given us that had not update our membership the chance to do so in time for the pre-sale. This has been difficult with such short notice and means that, although I've been a member since 2009 (paying mostly) I'm just an 'innocence' member so have lost out. 
  6. U2 look after their fans - we only have to hope that over the coming days more clarity will be provided, along with more info and dates. Well done to those who have tickets, I hope to be joining you in the coming week or two. 
  7. As I say my dealings with Biglwave - when he approached me to help yesterday - have been good, so let's no single out people for grief when they're clearly answering so many queries.. 

Mark, well said.  I agree that Bigwave is very helpful, as are all who look after the forums.  My dealings with them have always positive, which is why I started this thread.  I hope the feedback from multiple fans, not just one grump...me...will spur the U2 team into positive action.

Although I've already posted this on another thread, it seems relevant to put it here too. It perhaps adds a bit of balance to the problems that have been reported...

I logged in at 9.55am this morning and joined the queue, filling in my necessary detail while I waited. At 10.05am I completed my transaction and got 2 £90 tickets for the London O2 on 30.10.15.

The whole process was incredibly smooth, nothing at all like the Vertigo fiasco.

Well done to whoever organised this!

• Two shows: I think people would have been happy to know the difference between the two shows as there's been talk of a main show and an acoustic show. Admittedly nothing from the band but they (and this site) must have been aware of the talk, fuelled by themselves in recent interviews. Then there's whether you can get tickets for both shows, or just the one.
  • Number of tickets: I know I was looking forward to buying 4 tickets for me and my family, as I've done before. I understand why there might not be as many available for sale but pre-warning would have been good. Well more than 24hours anyway!
  • Notice: some are saying that to put expensive gigs on sale just weeks from Christmas isn't great timing. I'm lucky not to be affected by this but can understand why some might be and feel for them. In truth just a few days warning might have helped some because it probably matters not when tickets go on sale, not everyone can / will afford them.
  • Dublin: as someone who wants to see the band in their home town after seeing them elsewhere in the UK it's a shame that there's not yet more details on Dublin because today I've not been sure whether to wait and use my code for these dates, or buy tickets. I waited and now run the risk of not being able to get Dublin tickets. I'll be annoyed if this is the case.
  • Membership: in the past I remember there being a couple of weeks between the announcement and tickets going on pre-sale. This has given us that had not update our membership the chance to do so in time for the pre-sale. This has been difficult with such short notice and means that, although I've been a member since 2009 (paying mostly) I'm just an 'innocence' member so have lost out.
  • U2 look after their fans - we only have to hope that over the coming days more clarity will be provided, along with more info and dates. Well done to those who have tickets, I hope to be joining you in the coming week or two.
  • As I say my dealings with Biglwave - when he approached me to help yesterday - have been good, so let's no single out people for grief when they're clearly answering so many queries..
Mark, well said. I agree that Bigwave is very helpful, as are all who look after the forums. My dealings with them have always positive, which is why I started this thread. I hope the feedback from multiple fans, not just one grump...me...will spur the U2 team into positive action.

Maybe address your message to U2.com/ticket master then rather than one guy who is working his backside off helping people out

Yeah, none with mine either in the UK, and certainly none that could be levelled at Bigwave, who frequently goes above and beyond for fans on this forum.

Blame ticket master, but addressing this to BW is not only missing the mark, but massively unfair. Believe you me, in this particular man-machine, the man is a good'un.

Mike, sorry, not missing the mark, but addressing someone who can make a difference for us.

• Two shows: I think people would have been happy to know the difference between the two shows as there's been talk of a main show and an acoustic show. Admittedly nothing from the band but they (and this site) must have been aware of the talk, fuelled by themselves in recent interviews. Then there's whether you can get tickets for both shows, or just the one.
  • Number of tickets: I know I was looking forward to buying 4 tickets for me and my family, as I've done before. I understand why there might not be as many available for sale but pre-warning would have been good. Well more than 24hours anyway!
  • Notice: some are saying that to put expensive gigs on sale just weeks from Christmas isn't great timing. I'm lucky not to be affected by this but can understand why some might be and feel for them. In truth just a few days warning might have helped some because it probably matters not when tickets go on sale, not everyone can / will afford them.
  • Dublin: as someone who wants to see the band in their home town after seeing them elsewhere in the UK it's a shame that there's not yet more details on Dublin because today I've not been sure whether to wait and use my code for these dates, or buy tickets. I waited and now run the risk of not being able to get Dublin tickets. I'll be annoyed if this is the case.
  • Membership: in the past I remember there being a couple of weeks between the announcement and tickets going on pre-sale. This has given us that had not update our membership the chance to do so in time for the pre-sale. This has been difficult with such short notice and means that, although I've been a member since 2009 (paying mostly) I'm just an 'innocence' member so have lost out.
  • U2 look after their fans - we only have to hope that over the coming days more clarity will be provided, along with more info and dates. Well done to those who have tickets, I hope to be joining you in the coming week or two.
  • As I say my dealings with Biglwave - when he approached me to help yesterday - have been good, so let's no single out people for grief when they're clearly answering so many queries..
Mark, well said. I agree that Bigwave is very helpful, as are all who look after the forums. My dealings with them have always positive, which is why I started this thread. I hope the feedback from multiple fans, not just one grump...me...will spur the U2 team into positive action.

Maybe address your message to U2.com/ticket master then rather than one guy who is working his backside off helping people out

Mike, you make my point.  Bigwave helps us out and will take this info back to the people who can do something...I hope...  TM would tell us to go bang...  Where should we be giving feedback?

Although I've already posted this on another thread, it seems relevant to put it here too. It perhaps adds a bit of balance to the problems that have been reported...

I logged in at 9.55am this morning and joined the queue, filling in my necessary detail while I waited. At 10.05am I completed my transaction and got 2 £90 tickets for the London O2 on 30.10.15.

The whole process was incredibly smooth, nothing at all like the Vertigo fiasco.

Any idea what the GA #'s mean ?

This little wrinkle/teaser is the thing that bothers me the most.  Regardless of ticket limits, I can only attend one show, I would like a little more information to help me know which one to choose.  I have no doubt that both will be awesome, but if one will be mostly new stuff and the other classics I would like to know that up front.  I appreciate that they are possibly trying to build in some suspense, but to be honest they are just setting me up to feel like I possibly choose wrong and missed out.

This is an open message to Bigwave and hopefully to U2.  There have been a number of problems with the pre-sale for Experience members (many, like myself, from the Propaganda days).  Our issues are:

- Presale codes that did not work

- Tickets queued on Ticketmaster, then being thrown off

- Not enough tickets available for the group

- A 2 ticket limit (when in the past it was 4)

U2 Fan Club members are told that they have access to tickets before the General Public.  That has not happened this time for you Experience members.  I would like to let you and the band know how dissatisfied I am and would appreciate the band taking some corrective action for this group prior to the sale to the General Public.

Anyone who agrees, please add a post.

they will probably say its due to ticketmaster and they can't do much....such a shame !

Sorry - replied before you replied if it makes sense. He's just a top bloke, so get loyal and defensive easily.

I'd email the guys on the bottom of the tour page and the general U2.com email for contact us and CC both in.

Maybe also - ironically - ask Bigwave if he knows anywhere better or if he can keep a log of all those wanting to complain.

Maybe a thread? For people to write their good and bad tour feedback the mods can send on all in one go so it has more heft?

Just thinking out loud!

There were issues UK O2 pre sale as have been mentioned on here but nowhere near as bad as the US ticketmaster problems I've read about!

Few weeks back I had dealings with ticketmaster UK in a pre sale for Take That tickets for my wife which were very much sort after but the process well managed so can't understand how ticketmaster, albeit in another country, have performed so badly on this pre sale!

Was quite shocked really that the tour was announced and the pre sale the next day! Good job I was off work or I'd have had no chance of getting tickets!

Then there was the wait for the codes and like said above, the timing couldn't have been worse with Christmas round the corner! Would have loved red zone but the wallet was in pain for GA tickets!

At least I got two tickets but my problem is now who I go with, my wife or my 17 yr old son who loves U2!

Wish it could have been more in the pre sale!

It's how much Bono loves you, in kilograms ;)

First - I have to say that this was looking to be one of the worst ticket buying experiences ever.  Like many others, I had tickets shortly after they went on sale and got booted from the website before I could purchase them.  I then repeatedly tried (maybe 50-70 times) over the next hour and 15 minutes to purchase again to no avail.  I cursed TM over and over again and was emotionally wrecked.  But at the 75 minute mark, I was able to finally complete the transaction and purchase 2 red zone tickets.  It was a wretched experience with a very happy ending.

I do have to hand it to U2 - the tickets that were available to the fan club were the absolute best in the house (RZ and GA floor and excellent loge seats).  Reminded me of old Propaganda days.  I don't blame U2 for the TM problems at all and I thank them for giving the core fans first access to the best seats.

just the allocation so the ticket retailer can keep tabs on numbers sold

Problems with Ticketmaster are long-standing and endemic. Any big ticket sale sends their servers into a tailspin. U2 presale is no different than a Springsteen concert sale or any other major event. TM simply doesn't care to fix the problems because they don't have to. They have very long-term exclusive distribution agreements with the major venues - like Madison Square Garden. If U2 wants to play MSG, they must distribute the tickets via TM. TM will make its money regardless of how long it takes to get tickets to the end users. Having a lousy server doesn't cost them anything - the shows will sell out and they will make their money. They have no incentive to fix anything because upgrading their systems means they actually have to spend money without increasing their revenue

This is a problem with dealing with a monopoly. The band and their agents very little influence over the situation. They can beg and plead "please fix this, our fans are upset", but TM can (and does) simply shrug their shoulders and say "so go find another venue and by the way, we control distribution at every top level venue in the US, so good luck with that."

This. It's this, nothing to do with U2. It happens for every presale and many general public sales for the majority of artists who go on tour. Everyone who has more than 10 fans will have this problem when their tix go on sale.

If you are going to blame anyone blame Ticketmaster for being so utterly and completely incompetent every single bloody time there's any kind of ticket sale. They have sucked since the dawn of time and they keep getting worse. Nothing we can do because they don't give a shit about us paying them. They also don't give a shit that fans are blaming the bands for this bullcrap, in fact they're sitting in their plush offices twiddling their mustaches and laughing at the fact that the fans are blaming the band's cause they know they're off the hook then. Don't buy into their BS and start blaming the band cause the fan club has really made an effort here, I feel, and they're not getting any credit for how much they have tried to make things better. But as the old saying goes, you can't polish a turd and Ticketmaster is just about the biggest turd in existence.

Edited by Ingrida

Sign in to follow this