Sign in to follow this  
francispotter

Which end of the stage is the Red Zone?

SAP Center in San Jose has posted a very detailed seat map -- much more precise than the one on ticketmaster.com. What I notice is that it appears the stage will be set up with a main stage at one end and a runway along the floor to a smaller stage at the other end. So I guess the band stays on the main stage and Bono runs to the other end to sing sometimes. The diagram also shows the Red Zone as being near the second end -- the smaller stage. If that's the case, then red zone people aren't particularly close to the band, but they might be close to Bono sometimes. For those of you who have been to previous tours, does this sound right? Does anyone have any other data?

Also, does anyone know whether red zone ticket holders are permitted to leave the red zone and go into the GA area? In other words, are you restricted to the red zone, or can you choose to join the madness for part of the show?

(Bottom line is that I want to get as close as possible to the band, but it's not clear that red zone is actually better than GA for that.)

Thanks!

Here's the link: http://www.sapcenteratsanjose.com/events/detail/u2-innocence-experience-tour-2015

Yeah, unfortunately, it looks like it's by the B stage.  If I had realized this before I bought my RZ tickets, I'd have tried harder for GA.  Maybe not that much further away and much cheaper.

the convenience, bar and restrooms are worth the cash.  Show up whenever, leave whenever, moeny view the entire time.

Hi, 

The Red Zone will be located directly flanking either side of the main stage. The SAP seating map is slightly misleading as it looks like  the main stage is on the right hand side, with the long catwalk leading to a B-Stage. What appears to be the main stage on the right is actually the sound area and work crew areas (if you read the fine print). 

You got the great Red Zone seats that will get you closest to the band during the show. Hope that clears up any confusion! 

I know that in the 360 tour the Red Zone was not right next to the main stage...but along the outer circle...see image...

So I could see where it may not necessarily be right along the "A" stage...

post-288919-0-33796200-1417812728_thumb.gif

As far a proximity to the stage goes, regular GA were by far the best at all the shows I have been to.

This is the first tour since Elevation to not have a heart, an ellipse or a pit design.

I can't wait to see a mockup of the stage from Willie.

Edited by Sigma957

I did red zone in the 360 tour. The view was phenomenal & no waiting all day, in some cases 2 days, in the GA line.

I'm doing Red zone again this time arouND & looking forward to it.

Yeah, unfortunately, it looks like it's by the B stage.  If I had realized this before I bought my RZ tickets, I'd have tried harder for GA.  Maybe not that much further away and much cheaper.

No, it's the main stage.  The San Jose seating chart is erroneous. 

it is main stage, but this year with the long stage  queing will be much nicer. As with the multi shows attended last  tour, red zone was let in same time as   the GA and you had option to que on the rail . I did both  with red zone and found red zone access and ease to roam without pushing against you  was a great thing. Plus, the wife is vertically challenged and will enjoy the show more.

I do know though of all the 50+ u2 shows I have seen, GA  is the best no matter where you stand. Nothing like it the the seats cannot come close to.

Enjoy, do not worry about the red zone area, you are golden

it is main stage, but this year with the long stage  queing will be much nicer. As with the multi shows attended last  tour, red zone was let in same time as   the GA and you had option to que on the rail .

Just wondering if there are two separate lines for GA - 1 for regular GA and another for Redzone GA, or does everyone have to get in line together? Also, I think you are saying that if you have Redzone tickets you could also choose to go into the main GA area if you want a particular spot on the rail vs. staying in the redzone? Is this correct? 

As someone who's spent (too much) time thinking about this, my sense is there's strong evidence the the RZ is by the B-stage, NOT the main stage.  Reasons:

1)  First, as the detailed San Diego (SAP) map shows (from the venue, not the one on TM), let's first be clear that the stage does NOT really extend across the entire floor.  Rather, there's a narrow catwalk that connects two stages, one on the left (smaller; B-stage) and one on the right (larger; A-stage).  This is our first clue that the main A-stage is on the right, the B-stage on the left (where the RZ are)--keeping in mind I'm talking about the SAP map, which is rotated compared to the TM map.

Speaking of which, NOTE: The detailed SAP map is rotated 180 degrees from the TM map.  So, on the SAP map, the RZ is on the left, on the TM map, the RZs are on the right.  So, if you're looking at the TM map, the main stage is "on the left", the RZs/b-stage on the right (the reverse of the SAP map).

Now, as some posters (e.g., above) have pointed out, yes, there are "crew tech zone" labels (on the detailed, venue SAP map) to the sides of the main, A-stage--leading some to think this is purely a sound/work crew area.  I don't think so; there are crew areas always on either side of U2's main stages.  Those labels, I think, are simply to help distinguish the barricade barrier from the main stage itself.

Also, if what appears to be the main (A) stage on the right were really just a crew/sound area, it would be smaller, not larger, than the stage on the left.  And, if the area on the right were just sound, etc., the catwalk wouldn't go all to way to it.

2)  But there's more.  I've spent some time checking out where the main stages are for various other acts (e.g., Fleetwood Mac, Timberlake, etc.) at the SAME venues as U2 is playing, and in every case, other folks' main stages are on the OTHER side of where the RZs are for U2--even when other acts ALSO have both a main and b-stage.  So, for example, at the SAP, all other major acts performing there also have their main stage on the same side as I'm suggesting above (i.e., on the other side from the RZ).

Along the same lines, just looked at the TM.co.uk map for the O2 gigs, and you'll notice that the 400 level does NOT go all the way around--there's no 400 level on the left (i.e., behind the main stage)--and this, again, is the other side from the RZ (on the right)

3)  Zootopians have posted (e.g., re the NYC gigs) that they got messages while considering lower bowl tix such that "behind the stage", "obstructed view", etc. was coming up for tickets to the left (on the TM map), but not on the right (again, where the RZ is).  This alone seems basically conclusive to me.

4)  If we need any more evidence, consider that 360 tour RZ were NOT immediately next to the main stage--U2 was careful to make sure that regular GA would have access to the closest possible locations.

Edited by mike7man

it is main stage, but this year with the long stage  queing will be much nicer. As with the multi shows attended last  tour, red zone was let in same time as   the GA and you had option to que on the rail .

Just wondering if there are two separate lines for GA - 1 for regular GA and another for Redzone GA, or does everyone have to get in line together? Also, I think you are saying that if you have Redzone tickets you could also choose to go into the main GA area if you want a particular spot on the rail vs. staying in the redzone? Is this correct? 

Yes, two separate lines.  And yes, you can leave the RZ and enter regular GA if you want (or could w/the 360 tour).  Also, at least some venues let in regular GA BEFORE RZ, so that regular GA got the best positions of all.  There may have been some that let both GA and RZ in at the same time, but I'm pretty sure this was not typical (I saw 17 shows on the 360 tour).

absolutely right. I think the red zone will  IMO be the best choice.  It certainly was last tour, although we did the rail in Raleigh and Atlanta

absolutely right. I think the red zone will  IMO be the best choice.  It certainly was last tour, although we did the rail in Raleigh and Atlanta

I'd agree w/you if RZ was by the main stage.  But, I think there's good evidence that it's not (i.e., RZ is by the B-stage--see post above).

i see what you are saying,  it is good when they are at the end but certainly  not  as close when they are up front with the show.  thx for pointing that out. I had only see the other diagrams and this is certainly more complete.

wonder if this is just for the SAP show... Below is  the one I have seen at the chicago and NYC  where I have Red zone

post-307877-0-41790000-1417908343_thumb.gif

Edited by kipk999

dam be kinda mad if it's opposite side. doesn't really make sense to me why this wouldn't be next to main stage considering it was an exta $250

Hey all, i got tix VIP Package in lower level section 105... is that behind the stage? Would be mad if i paid that much and can't even see. There must be some arrangement?

No.  105 is directly across from the main stage (at the other end of the floor), and right in front of the b-stage (where the red zones are).  And, this is another piece of evidence that the RZs are by the b-stage, not the main stage.  Otherwise, jeffbass79's VIP package would indeed be behind the main stage, which makes no sense!

Hey folks, just a couple of notes that might be helpful:

1.  I live in San Jose, and the sections labeled 120-124 are always the sections behind the main stage at the Shark Tank (as we call it here in SJ), no exceptions (though there's certainly a first time for everything).

2.  They never sell tickets for these sections at this venue unless there will be no backdrop behind the main stage.  I've seen/heard of many acts doing this no-backdrop thing.

3.  This all leads me to believe that the Red Zone will be next to the B Stage, and that the main stage won't have a backdrop.

4.  Of course, I could be wrong.  Just some guesses based on my own eXPERIENCES, as it were.  ;)

I noticed that the end opposite the red zone had obstructed views.  I was wondering if the was a screen or some other video presence obstructing.  Who knows.

both ends of the upper deck at SAP center have limited view seats in the middle couple of sections. Most likely due to hanging lights/speakers. I sat behind the stage for Vertigo and it was great.  Its a little odd since the band isn't facing you so you don't feel quite as engaged but you will get to see it all.

there is no way that they are putting the red zone, which isn;t filled to capacity, directly beside the main stage.  They reserve that for the hardcores that want to line up for a day or two to get to the show and bounce up and down the whole time.  It is a better aesthetic.  Not to mention all of the known evidence points to it being by the b-stage.

The red zone is by the b-stage.  bank on it.

Sign in to follow this