Sign in to follow this  
jenskar

Best Cities/Stadiums

So -- if you're going to travel to see U2 for this tour -- where would you go?  Am trying to speed learn alternate cities/stadiums in case best MSG tix are already gone tomorrow and I'm thinking Boston or Montreal.

Fantasy: Barcelona or Berlin, remember hearing Paris was horrid last tour.  Obviously, only going to one but it's more fun to think of options than to freak over whether there will be seats ....

So, any idea what Euro or NA cities don't tend to sell out besides Phoenix?

And btw, not a Numb/virgin by any means -- just didn't subscribe for the past few years while the boys doodled around between tours.

Edited by jenskar

Anywhere in Italy.

I was at Montreal 2 last tour and it was great.

I was at MSG for the first leg of Vertigo and it was OK.

If you sticking to N. America, I'd go for Montreal or Boston.

Vancouver opening night. They will try out all the newer songs probably and scrap some shortly thereafter.

Im in New Zealand and have bought tickets to Vancouver to see the opening night!!  Hopefully will get tickets for the 2nd vancouver show.  Then maybe look at going to the LA shows again if i can get tickets

I have seen them in Boston 360 tour and of course Auckland

Edited by stubby

Went to Dublin 2 nights in summer 2009 - live in NY- most unbelievae 5 days ever! I live in NY- grabbed Boston GA yesterday because with TM fiasco could not get NY- I was disappointed yesterday but now I am happy to go out of town again!

For crowd spirit, I would say Boston for Vertigo was my favorite , btw, followed by of all places, Las Vegas for 360.  Nothing like flying in and seeing the stage on approach from the air.  Black Eyed Peas opened for them and did I Gotta Feeling as their last song which so set the tone for U2 come next.  Had UNLV alumni seating for that and those were the best seats I ever got. Absolutely amazing.

Least favorite was Philadelphia for Vertigo -- had great seats but crowd was just not engaged, followed by Giants Stadium date for 360 -- bought great seats with a Meadowlands ticket buyers group and was surrounded by drunk Giants fans -- I will say, they did like the band -- lots of singing and heart thumping and then they were in my lap.  Boys :)

I'm not a fan of MSG as a venue. Sound can be horrid.  I have an hour and twenty minutes to decide.

MSG has been completely gutted and remodeled in the last 2 years- sound is really amazing now- acoustics completely changed as a result of redesign and upgraded sound systems- and it's beautiful to boot

Edited by nitz1

You're right -- I had forgotten that.  I'm in for the last show, lower bowl.  Looked like TM was going to melt down so I took the first two they offered me. All they, they're very good seats :)

Edited by jenskar

ok Im going to be a bit controversial here but I was in the 2 concert of the 360 in Dublin  and the crowd was really boring maybe it was that day only ,and funny as now I live in london but I actually have never seen u2 playing here   

I've seen U2 10 times in my lifetime, and I have to say, Montreal has the most responsive crowd I've ever experienced (better than New York, which was a close second). The crowd just SINGS!!!! You could tell Bono and the boys really appreciated the feeling from the crowd. 

Amsterdam for sure.

1. new venue: Ziggo Dome (17.000) with fantastic sound/arcoustic

2. always a special, rare setlist in Amsterdam (see setlists in the past)

3. Good vibe

4. The nice city of Amsterdam 

I am a bit surprised they went for SportPaleis Antwerp rather than the new Palais 12 in Brussels which has great acoustics and can hold up to 18000.

What is the smallest most intimate venue on the tour does anyone know?

Is it the hydro in glasgow?

MSG has been completely gutted and remodeled in the last 2 years- sound is really amazing now- acoustics completely changed as a result of redesign and upgraded sound systems- and it's beautiful to boot

That's very good to know, thanks!  The last time I was there was to see REM a few years ago and the place was in dire need of a makeover.  I also found a dead roach in my hotdog box at a hockey game previously.

Seated capacity is around 10k, standing capacity about 13k, so I guess that leaves about 3k for GA?. Most other venues on the Euro tour hover around 18k give or take 2k.

It's not a big place:

_70202985_hydroone.jpg

Imagine the stage going right through that...

That is going to be a great gig, looks tiny compared to Londons o2

Oh wow, after seeing that photo of Hydro I'm even more excited now! I didn't realise it was that small! Oh man, it's going to be amazing. :)

Seated capacity is around 10k, standing capacity about 13k, so I guess that leaves about 3k for GA?. Most other venues on the Euro tour hover around 18k give or take 2k.

It's not a big place:

_70202985_hydroone.jpg

Imagine the stage going right through that...

That picture is a tad misleading. It gives a false impression of the size of the venue. The Hyrdro holds 14 000 

Edited by gman70

Of course the crowd makes the show. Really every U2 show I have seen has been great for variety of reasons. Tailgate at NJ for Vertigo was legendary. Boston for 360, maybe just the set up, but was right up against stage and when Bono came out you could literally feel the weight of the crowd noise. Saw Elevation post 9/11 completely unique show. But best crowd was actually Albany for Elevation. Noticed it different right away. Famously mentioned the next week in Boston heart fiasco and made it into the Elevation DVD.

Sign in to follow this