Sign in to follow this  
danknapp

Question about Lining up for GA

We'll by flying up from Atlanta for the 4th New York show and can't wait!!

Last tour I did Red Zone b/c I know waiting in line all day is NOT my wife's thing (and as much as I love the band I know what's good for me!)

This time around the Red Zone was just too expensive for me to justify (especially b/c I'm still hoping for/ expecting Atlanta dates in 2016!)

So - my question is this... If I get in line in the morning and my wife spends the day with our NY family/ friends and joins me later - is that cool or frowned upon?

I could see it from both perspectives and, while it would be the ideal solution for me, certainly don't want to tick everybody off!!!

Thoughts?

Hope to see a bunch of you in the summer!!!!

-Dan

Usually 1 person joining in is not a problem. We did that in Toronto last tour. We took turns waiting in line. My friend was in line early,  i relieved him after 4-5hrs, then he returned a couple hrs before they opened the doors. No problems and most others around were doing the same but we are all pretty civilized here in Toronto, lol. 

Usually 1 person joining in is not a problem. We did that in Toronto last tour. We took turns waiting in line. My friend was in line early,  i relieved him after 4-5hrs, then he returned a couple hrs before they opened the doors. No problems and most others around were doing the same but we are all pretty civilized here in Toronto, lol. 

Thanks!  That would be awesome!  Anyone here have experience with GA in NY over the last few tours?

One is okay but some people abused the system and would have 10+ people join them and that just got ridiculous.

I hung out in the parking lot tailgating for the Vegas show. Joined the line when they started letting people in. It was only 4 deep when I walked up to the front. Getting in line early is not that necessary since they only allow a certain number of people on the floor due to fire codes

Edited by THENEWYORKTONY

One is okay but some people abused the system and would have 10+ people join them and that just got ridiculous.

That is ridiculous.  In our case its just the two of us! 

I hung out in the parking lot tailgating for the Vegas show. Joined the line when they started letting people in. It was only 4 deep when I walked up to the front. Getting in line early is not that necessary since they only allow a certain number of people on the floor due to fire codes

I don't think people are worried about getting in and getting A spot - I think its more about how close of a spot we're going to manage to get.  Especially for those of us who are somewhat "vertically challenged".

The stage is a rectangle across the whole floor.  That's a pretty big "front row".  I don't see any need to line up early for it. 

I got in line for Toronto Rogers Centre at 11am and was inside the inner circle one "row" of people from the back rail.  In the queue the girl in front of me was waiting for 3 friends. When they arrived they made a coffee/food run and offered to buy me something which was very nice.  

The stage is a rectangle across the whole floor.  That's a pretty big "front row".  I don't see any need to line up early for it. 

I agree.  If I can snag a GA on Monday I'll go later this time.

Agreed, the whole stage is like being in the elipse

Great point. Now that I've seen it this setup seems so brilliantly obvious it's a wonder everyone doesn't do it! (I always thought it would have made more sense for the 360 claw to be right at the 50 yard line, but I digress)

The stage is a rectangle across the whole floor. That's a pretty big "front row". I don't see any need to line up early for it.

I agree. If I can snag a GA on Monday I'll go later this time.

Yeahm in NYC that is not going to fly, dont even try it. Other places if she shows up with food for others yeah

Yeahm in NYC that is not going to fly, dont even try it. Other places if she shows up with food for others yeah

So that's a no go in NY for even one person - food or no food?

I don't think there is a need to get there too early looking at the stage but Ivan actually looking forward to sitting outside the venue for a few hours. Haven't done that for ages for a band.

In answer to the original question, i think if your wife doesnt want to stand and que like everyone else....she shouldnt expect to que hop when she arrives.

Last time in Brussels, the toilets were stupidly places only in the front part of the GA queue. So a lot of people 'had to go' ... They were let through by security, but of course never returned to tie original spot in the queue. So by the time the gates opened, the first blocks of the queue (which were 'shut down' by some kind of tape) were filled way more than they were hours before.

In answer to the original question, i think if your wife doesnt want to stand and que like everyone else....she shouldnt expect to que hop when she arrives.

Oh I'm confident she wouldn't "expect" anything. I was just trying to get a sense if it was cool for one person to represent a couple in line for part of the day. It sounds to me like that is okay in some cities but not in New York (and perhaps not Europe either).

I'm not too worried. Either I'll try to talk her in to waiting earlier or we'll take our chances showing up later given that the setup looks like all of GA should have a great view this time. I know it'll be an awesome time regardless of how our spot shakes out!!!

How many "one" person can show up at the end? that's the problem, not fair towards who lined all day long IMHO

How many "one" person can show up at the end? that's the problem, not fair towards who lined all day long IMHO

Understood. Personally I was never thinking "the end" either. More like if I got in line in the morning and then she joined me mid afternoon or something. Sounds like it would be best not go to this route though!

Im pretty sure due to the stage layout, you and your wife will be able to arrive when you want and still get a good place near to the stage ;)

Im pretty sure due to the stage layout, you and your wife will be able to arrive when you want and still get a good place near to the stage ;)

Hope/ think so. By then there will have been a couple of months worth of shows including three prior shows in New York, so I'm sure we'll have a good idea how everything is going to go down!

@buceoman how early did you line up for the last tour in Toronto?

My friend was in line around 6am i think. We were number 40 or so at that point. I relieved him around noon and he came back around 4pm and we waited together from that point on. We're 41 and 50yo now so doubt we will be in line that long this time around. Plus, last time we were shooting for the inner circle(we were one of the first in the circle and it was amazing experience) but this time there is no circle and the floor area is smaller in general so i don't care if we are further back from stage because it all looks pretty good.

Sign in to follow this