Sign in to follow this  
conlonm1

Rear/Side Stage Seats Question

Hi guys,

I was frantically attempting to buy 2 tickets this afternoon to the first night at MSG. With no success on my laptop I had 2 seats pop up through the TM phone app for section 114.

Looking at the floor layout I assumed the stage would be beside the red zone and 114 would be at the opposite end. With fear of losing the seats I quickly pressed buy.

After it was confirmed I noticed the seats were labelled as rear/side of stage.

I'm now tearing my hair out thinking I've spent just shy of $250 and for portions of the show I'll not even be able to see the band.

It would be great if anyone with any knowledge or assumptions of the stage design could tell me if they think the main stage would be 'open' with unobstructed views from back and sides or if they think it will be the normal MSG stage set up where the band can only be viewed if you are in front of it.

Pretty gutted to think I wasted my presale code on worse seats than I'll probably be able to buy on public sale on Monday.

:(

If you look at the San Jose (I think it is) seating chart floating around on here, there is a square stage at one end, and a smaller round stage at the other, with a thinner walkway connecting the two. Whether that ends up being the case is still TBD. It is definitely not the normal MSG set up, though, since there is clearly a floor-length stage of some sort.

based on the MSG map and the San Jose map, section 114 would be considered in the 'back' of the venue, not behind the stage. It seems that the RZ locations are abutting the 'main stage' instead of the regular GA. (i can already hear the ranting of the GA campers that typically are front and center of the main stage about the preferential treatment of those willing to spend more).  Even if you're behind the stage, they typically don't have a ton of obstructions in which case the band wouldn't be facing you and on occasion someone will be obstructed by an amp or speaker.   You should have an excellent view of the satellite stage which will be close to you.

I got 114 at MSG as well. So far only one venue has the "stage" image shown. The rest are all the long rectangular version. From the Billboard article it seems like the stage will be a long rectangle with monitors running the length of the rectangular stage on both sides. There is also GA space on both sides of the stage which leads me to further believe this will be the case. I made the same rash decision based on the configuration presented. I'm thinking certain sections in various arenas may present the notice of obstructed views based on classic stage setups. This does not appear to be the case. 

Guys, there's tons of evidence now that the RZs are by some kind of b-stage, with the main "open" stage at the other end.  For example, that's why tix "behind" the main stage (e.g., section 114 at MSG) are relatively cheap, while seats directly across the floor in corresponding sections (e.g., section 104) are full price.  This alone is pretty conclusive evidence.  But hey, don't take my word for it (although I've frantically researched the beejesus out of this to figure it out).  Also check out the "Stage Design" thread and the "Which end of the stage is the Red Zone?" (see Red Zone section) threads.  And look at the San Jose SAP map FROM THE VENUE (not TM).  And also, the Amsterdam venue map is very clear that the RZs are not by the main stage, and various other European maps (e.g., the 02) are "horseshoe" designs, where the main stage must be at the "open" end of the horseshoe (and they show the RZs across the floor from the open end of the horseshoe).

Edited by mike7man

When I purchased tickets for MSG, prior to a successful purchase at 1PM, I had several offers from TM in section 102-103 that were $68. Based on 360 RZ location this would be the back of the stage. I also found tickets in 114 at $318. This would lead me to believe the primary stage is at the 102-103/RZ end. Also, there is more available seating on the 114 end of MSG, so I don't think that is the back of the stage.

When I purchased tickets for MSG, prior to a successful purchase at 1PM, I had several offers from TM in section 102-103 that were $68. Based on 360 RZ location this would be the back of the stage. I also found tickets in 114 at $318. This would lead me to believe the primary stage is at the 102-103/RZ end. Also, there is more available seating on the 114 end of MSG, so I don't think that is the back of the stage.

Wow.  Thanks for the info.  Man, this just gets more confusing.  But, keep in mind that at least some of the 114 seats were cheap (see top of thread).  In fact, the first post is clear that his 114 seats were actually labeled "rear/side of stage".  So how can that happen unless the main stage is on that end?  Also, that some in 114 were full price (as you noted) doesn't shock me, because the section sort of straddles beside the stage to behind(ish) the stage (if the main stage is on that end).  So, for example, seats in 114 that are close-ish to section 115 could easily be full price--and U2 (and other acts) always charges full price for seats beside the main stage.  So that, by itself, maybe isn't conclusive.  But, your seeing $68 tix in 102/103 DOES surprise me, and would fit w/the main stage being by the RZ.  But, then significant price differences within 114 don't make much sense, do they?

There's also some evidence that U2 will be doing some serious things w/various projection screens, so that may factor into things as well, making things even harder to figure out.  Say, for example, that there's a major screen above both stages, pointing inward.  Then directly behind either end could be somewhat obstructed/lower price, regardless of which end the main stage is on.

What would be very helpful is if anyone can tell us what directly "comparable" tickets cost--that is, exactly mirror-image from each other.  For example, 103 vs. 113 (not 114), or, better yet, 102 vs. 112.  Anyone???  I can also tell you (from what folks have said in other threads) that at various other venues, the prices of tickets in various sections appears to favor the "main stage at other end from the RZ" theory fairly clearly, perhaps more so than MSG data so far indicate.

And finally for now, keep in mind what the Amsterdam and other European "horseshoe" venue maps show.  The Amsterdam map, for example, is crystal-clear--the RZs are on the other side from the main stage, which is at the "back" (open end) of the horseshoe.  If the RZs were by the main stage, then all these maps would show the RZs close to the back/open end of the horseshoe shape--and they don't.  With a horseshoe-type arena, there's no way the main stage won't be toward the open end of the horseshoe.  If it were more toward the closed end, tons of seats would become side and/or rearish view, and they're not going to do that.  And U2 is not going to be moving the RZs around--the overall stage setup will be the same everywhere.

Finally, what do you mean by "more available seating" on the 114 end?  Can you say more about this?  You mean that more seats were available on that end (fewer presale folks were buying them?)  Even if so, that's not conclusive either--lots of folks may simply be assuming that the main stage is by the RZs.  Also, it depends a lot on exactly where this available seating is on the that end.  If the main stage is there, then significant numbers of seats will be to the side/behind the main stage, and will be less popular.

What I'm wondering is which way the b-stage will face.  In past tours, there's always been kinda one "end" of the stadium/arena, and for the b-stage performances, the band is still facing the same direction as they are when they perform on the main stage.

For this tour, I'm wondering if they'll turn that around, so that when they're on the b-stage, they won't be facing the seats directly in front of them, but will instead be looking out towards the main stage and the floor.  That could explain why the sections like section 112 are all priced at a lower price, because they're behind the main stage, but why some tickets in section 102 are also at a lower price.  Perhaps most of section 102 has a full view of the main stage which is why they're mostly full price, but maybe some of 102 becomes obstructed view when the band moves to the b-stage.

I've sat behind the stage for U2 a bunch of times on the Vertigo tour, and despite what the tickets said, it was never actually "obstructed view" - even when those light curtains came down (like during "Vertigo" and "City of Blinding Lights", I could see right through them, and I had a great time.  And for a lot of the show, I felt like i was actually closer to the band than the people who were in the front.  It was cool getting to see them chat with each other between songs, or notice little things like Larry unilaterally deciding one night to skip a song during the encore and launch right into "40" as the rest of the band was caught by surprise (the looks on their faces were kinda priceless)… so if your seats end up being "behind", I think it'll still be a fantastic evening.  I'm actually hoping to get tickets behind the stage for at least one show on the tour just for the sake of getting that different perspective.

These are the important quotes from Billboard:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6334847/u2-innocence-experience-tour-dates-2015

As with "the claw" staging that stunned on the 360 tour, this arena production will feature its own innovation, with the staging in the middle of the bowl and spanning the length of the arena floor. U2's typically eye-popping video elements (as in the video cylinder that awed on 360) will have a giant double-sided screen running above the stage.

Arenas will be sold to full capacity, with views of the stage from all angles.

If there were tickets priced as low (101-103) as those on the opposite side of RZ (111-113) it would suggest that the monitors will run the length of the stage and the monitors may not be visible by either extreme end of the stage. As you get more towards the middle on ether side of the stage the prices go up accordingly. This would also suggest no Main Stage A or B Stage by RZ. If I paid those RZ prices I would not want to be on the far end of the main stage. I'm sticking with no bad seating for this show. 

I see people have been wondering about ticket prices in 102 at MSG. I have a ticket in that section in Section 102. Ticket was at $118. 

I also have a ticket in Section 204 BS and that got marked Limited View once it printed out. It didn't give me a warning that I recall before I bought it. That ticket was $88. I used the app to buy that one and I wonder if it would have given me the warning if I used the browser.

The seats I got for my friends are in Section 213  and they say Side Stage. Those tickets were $118.

I did see that 114 said behind the stage and I avoided those, but have wondered since then if that is something left over from regular concert set ups...

I see people have been wondering about ticket prices in 102 at MSG. I have a ticket in that section in Section 102. Ticket was at $118. 

Same as 114. Starting to make me feel better and think there is no real stage setup. 

I did see that 114 said behind the stage and I avoided those, but have wondered since then if that is something left over from regular concert set ups...

I do think this could be the case. Side stage would be the narrow side and limited view of the video screens. If you look at RZ for MSG those seats are just off center. Again, if I paid for RZ I would want to be in the heart of the action. Those seats appear to do just that. 

If you look closely at the San Jose plan there is a very long, narrow blue ellipse marked out along the length of the catwalk between the two stages, which I am sure will be a very long video screen, which faces the long sides of the arena, which may account for some of the end seats being marked as restricted view as they won't see these visuals. I am sure however there won't be any backdrops or screens that restrict views of the band.

The same plan also seems pretty clear as to which stage is larger and is adjacent to the crew/tech underworld area which I'd again expect to be the main stage. And it is possible that the plan also indicates the drum riser on that stage. Mike above has made many other compelling arguments for this configuration too.

However I think we're going to see greater use of the b stage this tour, especially if it used for more acoustic treatments of songs which featured heavily on the deluxe version of the album and have been a feature of a lot of the TV show promotion too.

I'd guess that means either that you'll have a fairly oblique view of the video screen that's over the catwalk, or that possibly the screen might be in the way of a corner of the main stage at the far end. Thing is, wherever you are located you'll get a different perspective - I did four shows on 360, all either in the ellipse or front rail of the walkway so had great views of the band but never got a chance to take in the full impact of the claw.

After reading these post and posting myself I went back to the MSG Website, if you select price range to show you the price of tickets during the regular sale. If you select resale and hover over available seats it will display if tickets are behind the stage. Section 110 and 114 are not consider behind the stage. 111, 112, and 113 are behind the stage. This means RZ is on the far end of the floor opposite the MainStage.

I am frustrated at the lack of stage setup information when the pre-sale was announced, some indication of the MainStage would have been valuable. During the sale TM doesn't provide enough information. 

I have seats in sect. 113 for two of the MSG shows.  They are on the aisle closest to sect. 114, so I guess I will be 'sort of' behind the stage, even though the people sitting 3 feet away from me in sect 114 won't be.  Very confusing, but I'm fine with what I've got. There was no way I was about to drop over $300 per ticket since I was unable to get GA's for those two shows.  I do have GA's for all the other MSG shows with the exception of one, which I will hopefully be able to pick up on Monday in the gen onsale.

I am assuming my $300 seats that are labeled side stage Section 115 are next to the main stage. at least I hope they will be. I have a feeling the bigger squared stage on the St Jose Map would be the B Stage / sound area

I am assuming my $300 seats that are labeled side stage Section 115 are next to the main stage. at least I hope they will be. I have a feeling the bigger squared stage on the St Jose Map would be the B Stage / sound area

Got tickets for 115 aswell. Panicked bought them after having a hard time getting tickets. I presume they will be ok seats directly opposite the main stage, since no mention of a restricted view.

Are you guys (Chuck & Kevin) talking about MSG?  If so, Section 115 should be fine.  If I'm right and the main stage at MSG is on the other side from the RZ, your seats are arguably ideal.  And even if the main stage were by the RZ, they'd still be decent.

Regarding the SAP setup, though, I don't think so.  The main stage is always much larger than the b-stage, and the main stage has significant sound/crew stuff related to it (notice those labels on the SAP map are not on the stage--rather, on either side of it).

Important news flash:  I just talked to a very helpful woman at the San Jose SAP arena, and she was very clear that the main stage (on the SAP venue diagram; see below) IS on the right (the larger rectangle), with the b-stage/RZs on the left, and of course the catwalk connects them.  She added that this diagram was taken directly from what the U2 production people sent the arena, which explains it being way more detailed than most other maps/diagrams of the stage.  Oh, and once again, the "crew tech zone" labels on each side of the main stage are not surprising (lots of crew are in various areas around and under the main stage), so those labels do not mean it's just a sound tech area.  And you can even see the drum riser in the middle of the main stage and what looks like rows of amps on either side.

Also, given some of the very helpful additional posts above, it now seems reasonably clear that there will be two long screens above and running each side of the catwalk (perhaps indicated by those dotted lines on the SAP venue map), and that these would (obviously) be hard to see if you're on either end, which accounts for at least some of the "limited view" warnings, etc., which occur at both ends.  Also, the only times when tickets indicate "behind the stage" or "side view" (vs. "limited view)--e.g., w/MSG tix--is when they're on the end opposite that of the RZs.  When taken together w/the European "horseshoe" diagrams (especially Amsterdam), I'm beginning to think that this is pretty close to conclusive evidence that the main stage is on the end opposite the RZs.

It would be very nice to confirm this w/MSG.  I've tried calling them a few times (try pressing "0" to get a real person once you're hearing the menu), and haven't gotten through yet.  It'd be great if some other folks could try as well, so that somebody could get through to them today and see what they say.

post-295258-0-19827000-1418414551_thumb.jpg

Edited by mike7man

Thank you Party Girl / Boy for your informative post.

Anybody got rear/side stage seats for L.A.?

I am one of the many who were confused with the stage setting.  I thought the Red Zone section would be near the main stage as U2 has done in the past 3 tours so I used my pre-sale code to get tickets seats away from the Red Zone hoping I would get a panoramic view of the stage.  I am just finding out I may be seating behind the stage. 

Section 123

Edited by ChinoMexico

Looks like you will indeed be a fair ways to the side of the main stage.  But, if you're closer to 124 than 122, that will help.  What did your tix cost?

Hmm.  Well, since they're not full price (but still lower bowl) that suggests that your visibility may be a bit impaired, either by being to the rearish side of the main stage or maybe not having a great view of the screens running along the sides of the catwalk.

Sign in to follow this