Sign in to follow this  
aune132

Outrageous $312 for a seat

Ticket prices were kind of what I expected think GA was reasonable but seating was a little steep.

My main concern is with the nights been different how do you know what night your going too and what it entails?

For example if one city has two nights then obviously it makes sense but like the O2 has four night so are the first two both innocence and second two both experience or what?! Will one show be acoustic? Will SOI be played one night and SOE another? I miss good old fashioned normal shows  :mellow:

I miss good old fashioned shows too.  Very much.

I guarente you'll be able to buy $312.00 tix for 1/2 price off Stub Hub @ noon the day of these shows..maybe earlier ...Especially if you just want a single. 

I hope you're right. That would help me plug in the one MSG date I don't have a ticket for... ;-)

Come on people, of course some seats are expensive...

Best seats are still cheaper than basic Seats of other top notch bands and as always GA are a (relative) bargain. I just always have a thought for people with mobility issues, I wish it was more clear what tickets they can apply for in all venues.

I guarente you'll be able to buy $312.00 tix for 1/2 price off Stub Hub @ noon the day of these shows..maybe earlier ...Especially if you just want a single. 

I hope you're right. That would help me plug in the one MSG date I don't have a ticket for... ;-)

It'll be simple.....Reality will set in with mgt once they see not every market is NYC,Boston and Chicago where $312's will be bought...I just pulled up some west coast venues and was able to look at the availlability via the seating map and there's LOADS of tickets......we're talkin POP Mart Tour //New Orleans style.....That show is infamous for them hiring some-one to walk the streets and hand out tickets for free the day of the show. 

It'll be simple.....Reality will set in with mgt once they see not every market is NYC,Boston and Chicago where $312's will be bought...I just pulled up some west coast venues and was able to look at the availlability via the seating map and there's LOADS of tickets......we're talkin POP Mart Tour //New Orleans style.....That show is infamous for them hiring some-one to walk the streets and hand out tickets for free the day of the show. 

Yeah, I was thinking PopMart too. The thing to consider as well is that many people want to go to the show with their significant other, so that means $600+ per couple for one show. That's just truly outrageous.

Edited by Dianardo

Because of these prices, this will be the first tour I miss since 1984. Unless I win some or find some for face value (or within 40 dollars) I can't justify paying these prices. I tried getting in early but all I was offered was $312 dollar seats. 

Which show do you want to go to?  I have a ticket for my hubby for the May 15th show.  He's okay only going the 14th.  It was $40+ canadian.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind.  I would hate to see you miss a tour.  Just a thought.

My theory is, since it's MSG, that they have given some complimentary tickets to Knicks players.  So if you paid 118, you're sitting behind a very tall basketball player.

If this happens, it never hurts to go to the box office and politely ask for a relocate.  They will most likely accommodate you if they have seats which they usually do.  They always hold house seats for things like that.  The trick is to ask asap before the good house seats get used.

My theory is, since it's MSG, that they have given some complimentary tickets to Knicks players.  So if you paid 118, you're sitting behind a very tall basketball player.

If this happens, it never hurts to go to the box office and politely ask for a relocate.  They will most likely accommodate you if they have seats which they usually do.  They always hold house seats for things like that.  The trick is to ask asap before the good house seats get used.

It was a joke.

Because of these prices, this will be the first tour I miss since 1984. Unless I win some or find some for face value (or within 40 dollars) I can't justify paying these prices. I tried getting in early but all I was offered was $312 dollar seats. 

Which show do you want to go to?  I have a ticket for my hubby for the May 15th show.  He's okay only going the 14th.  It was $40+ canadian.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind.  I would hate to see you miss a tour.  Just a thought.

Great to see acts of kindness in amongst this.  "Awesome fan of the day" award to ZLady.

I agree with many of the sentiments above.  Regarding the top c. $300 price, that's steep, but just tolerable if it's for the best, lower bowl seats.  360 tour was just a bit below that.  But extending this top-tier price to the 2nd level seems clearly excessive.  Also, to make matters worse, a significant proportion of the lower bowl seats were only VIP ($600 per!).  Anyway, all this (especially having the top price for maybe half the tickets in the entire venue) is certainly slowing down/making less likely adding more shows, for sure.

Did you take a look at what the packages cost?   They are almost $3,000.

That is only the travel packages that include hotel rooms, etc., not the VIP ones. The VIP options were both under $600, I think. And for the MSG show I was looking at the more expensive VIP options looks sold out... so outrageous or not, they sold.

Yes, they did sell out but that does not mean the prices are not outrageous.  $3,000 includes a hotel room, yes but not much more other than seats in the first 15 rows which is just further proof that the average joe cannot get good seats for shows anymore because the good seats all go to corporate greed.  For $3,000 I will personally book the hotel rooms and carry the luggage and drive people to a restaurant and then to the show.  It's all wrapping paper and when you open the package you get a ticket like anyone else.  It has gotten ridiculous.  It boils down to greed.  If $150 of a $300 ticket went straight to charity I would have no problem but it does not.  It goes to people who already have more money than they could possibly need.  The divide keep widening.  Eventually people are gonna revolt.  I could fly to Italy from Chicago and spend at least a month for the price of one ticket.  I'm not flying to Italy but I am saying that whomever this money goes to probably is.

Edited by Manohlive

Only $312. In Germany you've to pay 440 euros for a seat. From now U2 concerts are only for the rich and famous. Not for the fans who've brought them where they are now. 

Did you take a look at what the packages cost?   They are almost $3,000.

That is only the travel packages that include hotel rooms, etc., not the VIP ones. The VIP options were both under $600, I think. And for the MSG show I was looking at the more expensive VIP options looks sold out... so outrageous or not, they sold.

Yes, they did sell out but that does not mean the prices are not outrageous.  $3,000 includes a hotel room, yes but not much more other than seats in the first 15 rows which is just further proof that the average joe cannot get good seats for shows anymore because the good seats all go to corporate greed.  For $3,000 I will personally book the hotel rooms and carry the luggage and drive people to a restaurant and then to the show.  It's all wrapping paper and when you open the package you get a ticket like anyone else.  It has gotten ridiculous.  It boils down to greed.  If $150 of a $300 ticket went straight to charity I would have no problem but it does not.  It goes to people who already have more money than they could possibly need.  The divide keep widening.  Eventually people are gonna revolt.  I could fly to Italy from Chicago and spend at least a month for the price of one ticket.  I'm not flying to Italy but I am saying that whomever this money goes to probably is.

You are bang-on. I would absolutely pay $300 if half of that were going to a charity. But as it stands now, I can't help but sense greed and feel like the most loyal fans are being taken advantage of.

The thing is, as is standard practice on bigger tours, U2 have sold the rights to the entire tour in advance, then it is up to Live Nation to make it work. The only stipulations are that there must be cheap (ish) GA and cheap nosebleed seats, plus a Red Zone, once LN and TM have organized that, it's up to them to make the most profit, hence the VIP packages with 2 seats in 5 in the first 15 rows of the 4 blocks closest to the main stage (2 on either side).

You can be sure that those MSG shows will sell out one way or the other, if not immediately then within a week or two...

I have no problem with the £200/$300 seats but given there is no clear indication of the stage set up its difficult to say if the seat your buying will be worth that cost.

It is a heck of a lot of money. No doubt about it. 

However, when I see the prices for the NBA and NFL I am stunned. A ticket for a Bulls game in the lower sections will cost you $500 apiece. And the game could stink. 

One thing is for sure, I know I will have a good time at a U2 concert. 

These ticket prices are an absolute disgrace. Nothing but greedy U2 extracting every last penny from their loyal fans. Been a fan since 1987 and never missed a tour. Going to take a pass on this one. For $75 will watch Pearl Jam play for 3 + hours and blow away anything U2 could ever do.

Can't afford U2 anymore. I've been loyal fan from the 1980 when I listened to an imported Three. Me and my brother and two of our high school friends knew we had found something special. I saw in Houston, TX the War tour through thePop Mart.

It's supply & demand guys. Yes, those with the biggest wallets get the best SEATS. Have a problem with the price of these seats, well don't buy them (I sure won't be spending close to $300 for a seat).

But U2 looks after their fans with cheap'ish GA tickets (much cheaper than most floor tickets for big acts). With a GA, you'll be able to get very close to the band, & move around to see the show from different view points. If GA is not for you, then seats start at $35. If that's not cheap, then I don't know what is. It's not like they're playing at the local pub or anything. Admittedly, many of these chep seats have badly resticted views, but some will be ok. For the price of a GA you can get a seat with very good views.

I think it's fair to point out -- and be disappointed -- that ticket prices have gone up well beyond inflation or the cost of living in the comperable time period.

The most expensive ticket for PopMart at Giants Stadium in 1997 (NYC area show) was $50.  The most expensive ticket for Elevation in NYC in 2001 was $130, which is already a big jump, more than double the price in four years.  The most expensive ticket for Vertigo in NYC in 2005 was $150.  The most expensive ticket for 360 at Giants Stadium in 2009 and MetLife Stadium in 2011 was $250.  Now, in 2015, the most expensive ticket is $350.  To have the ticket price be seven times what it was 18 years ago seems ridiculous when you put it that way - I'm not making seven times what I was making then.  And the cheaper tickets sell out a lot faster, so even if you're perfectly happy with a GA ticket or a $35 obstructed view ticket, you may not be able to get one as easily as you could get a $300 seat.  Even GA is more expensive this time - for the 360 shows I saw in 2011 with GA tickets, the face value was $50.  Now it's $85.  So it's almost doubled in four years.

I definitely have sticker shock.  I'm very happy to be going, very happy that most of my tickets were under $100, but it could have easily not worked out where I didn't get the chance to get those lower priced tickets, I got lucky, which means someone else didn't, and it could easily have been me who was unlucky.

You must have got a bargain! My GA tickets for Anaheim in 2011 (which were initially scheduled for 2010) costed me $74.40. Face value, through Ticketmaster, pre-sale, or general sale, I can't remember. Which comes to $81 today, with inflation. I'm not going to trawl through my emails to find previous legs or tours.

No doubt prices have gone up substantially. But back at the time of ZooTV & PopMart artists made their living with album sales, tours were used to promote an album. Now, since so many people pirate their music, it's the other way around. So artists now make their living from touring. I'm not saying it's totally right. There's too many greedy corporate fingers in the pie, then add the commercialization of the resale market (which I already despised).

I'm used to paying substantially more for tickets, in Australia & Europe. Probably not far short of $100 for GA's for Sydney Vertigo stadium shows in 2006 (though don't quote me on it). But I won't be paying for expensive seats ever. It will be GA's for me, with the occasional cheap seat (once I've determined the views are ok). I'm happy to let others, with much fatter wallets than me, pay these expensive prices. Paying for all this elaborate production, & subsidizing my GA.

Edited by ddarroch

Sign in to follow this