Sign in to follow this  
Sherry

Ticketmaster Process For Credit Card Fraud for Ticketless Tickets

I was notified today from American Express that my credit card number was compromised, and due to their fraud protection, that my credit card was being cancelled and a new card is being issued. Problem is, this is the card I used to buy my Vancouver GAs with. After speaking with Sam at Ticketmaster customer service, this is what he told me to do (and I share it with you all should this happen to you).

You need to send a faxed letter to 310-734-0798 with the following information

1) Your name

2) Your billing address and best phone number to reach you at

3) The Ticketmaster Order ID numbers linked to the credit card in question

4) An explanation that your credit card was compromised and due to fraud protection, you were issued a new credit card

5) A letter from the credit card bank stating that the card was replaced OR a recent billing statement from the bank showing new credit card number (last 4 digits are fine) AND your same name & billing address linked to the TM order printed on the credit card billing statement.. DO NOT FAX THE ENTIRETY OF THE NEW CREDIT CARD NUMBER.

Sam said a Ticketmaster Customer Service rep will review the request and will call you to switch the credit card number in their system so your ticketless tickets will print at the venue. Only at that time do you give the full credit card number for them to link it into the system. He also said that the credit card needs to be issued from the same bank. In other words, I can not give TM a Visa card as a replacement - it has to be from American Express and linked to the replacement of the other card.

***THIS IS ONLY IF YOU RECEIVE A NEW CREDIT CARD NUMBER DUE TO FRAUD***

Sam said if you receive an updated credit card due to an expiry date changing, as long as the 15 or 16 digit number didn't change, your updated credit card will work as those numbers are the same.

While I hope what happened to me doesn't happen to anyone else, I hope this is useful information to other subscribers who purchased tickets that require a credit card for entry.

----------------

Dec. 9 Update:

I faxed the information to Ticketmaster, and promptly received this email:

We received your fax regarding your tickets for U2 and we'll be happy to assist you. However, we do need to let you know that the card that was used for the purchase must be refunded and the new card must be charged for the amount on each order.

If you want us to proceed, please call us at (304) 357-6175 and provide us with the following information:

The new credit card number:
The new expiration date:

If you need anything else, just reply to this email or visit Help on Ticketmaster.com!

---------------

I called and because the tickets were international in nature, they had to refund the card and recharge the card. She did confirm that had I kept the old credit card, it would have worked - however understood for security purposes why we destroyed it. It was quick and easy - the only real cost is in the exchange rate fees for using it on international currency, so take that into account.

As always, I hope this helps others who might find themselves in the same boat.

Edited by Sherry

Great info!

I'm sure lots of people are more than happy with this!

Thanks a million for sharing this!

Wow...this is going to be a real pain in the butt come day of the show for a lot of people I'm sure.

Wonder what you're suppose to do if you lose your card or if it gets stolen right before the show when there's not going to be enough time to follow those steps?

Wonder if you can get it fixed at a box office window on the day of the show?

....more questions than answers....

If you can prove who you are in person with a drivers license at the box office, I don't understand why you couldn't switch carriers from like AmEx to a Visa?  That's ridiculous!

Thanks a million for sharing this!

Wow...this is going to be a real pain in the butt come day of the show for a lot of people I'm sure.

Wonder what you're suppose to do if you lose your card or if it gets stolen right before the show when there's not going to be enough time to follow those steps?

Wonder if you can get it fixed at a box office window on the day of the show?

....more questions than answers....

If you can prove who you are in person with a drivers license at the box office, I don't understand why you couldn't switch carriers from like AmEx to a Visa?  That's ridiculous!

I would think that situation has happened to customers before and that there are steps that TM follows, but it might not be published.

also, just because your card is cancelled as a fraud protection, it doesn't mean the magnetic information is wiped out.  If you look at the FAQ on TM website regarding this, it looks like it only uses the Card # stored in the magnetic strip to match a ticket order, it doesn't try to do a charge or verify the number is still valid. So even if you are issued a new card for fraud protection, just bring the old card and use that instead of going through all the step above. This is pretty much detailed on the TM website in the FAQ.

What if the credit card I used expires before the event?

Just bring the old card, or the replacement card with the same account number. If you destroyed the old card and your new one has a different account number, please contact Fan Support.

What if I forget to bring the credit card I used to purchase?

Oh no! Go straight to the box office for help. Each venue has its own policy, but they’ll probably ask for your photo ID and purchase confirmation email. You can show them the email on your phone, and the name on the email must match your ID.

thanks for bringing this to the attention of ALL of us, this is bound to happen to a few others so glad to hear there is a solution, thanks to Sherry and thanks to Bw for keeping this pinned!

I had the same issue for Muse: I bought one ticketless GA ticket for Montreal in 2012. About 6-7 months later, my mastercard used to buy the ticket had expired and a new card had been issued with a different number. At the entrance, I had to do a different line and I needed about one extra minute (at most) for them to conduct a very quick check. In the end, I had no problem. The new card had a new number, bu it was linked to the same account. 

There is something the box office can do about it, but here's why you won't see a policy listed on Ticketmaster.com: Each venue's policies are different. And even then, some artists/promoters will have more strict rules about the printing of paperless tickets at the box office.

I work in the box office of one of the most popular arenas in the US.  We use Ticketmaster and host a number of partial or full paperless shows every year.  Most of the time, we disable the paperless ticketing "flag" on paperless ticket orders about an hour and a half before showtime so that we can easily print your tickets.  We also have a manual method for reprinting paperless tickets, in which we essentially clear that delivery method from your accounts, and then print the tickets.  You would be blown away by how many people need to get their paperless tickets printed because they forget their credit card at home, they cancelled it entirely, or the people scanning credit cards and tickets at the gates are overwhelmed with the crowds and don't have time or proper training to troubleshoot issues with replaced credit cards from fraud.  It's far easier for us, from an operations perspective, to keep lines moving by printing our patrons' paperless tickets.

I can't speak for all venues across the country, but I'm telling you, there's always a way for the box office to help.  Imagine what would happen if you lost your wallet or it was stolen!  You probably think that's the end of the world, right?  Wrong... we'll still work with you and try our best to get you into the show.

as someone mentioned above the card does not have to be valid to gain entry. ok to bring the old card and you will get swiped in without issue. I got in on expired card for Cat Stevens. look at faq page, only reading the number.

Sign in to follow this