Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

claire17

"U2 : I will follow project" - call for testimonies

Hi everybody! My name is Claire from France. I'm a print journalist and I've been following U2 carreer since I was 12 (and let me tell you it is almost 25 years i'm not that age anymore;)! ). Here is a post about my project around U2 fans. At the moment, it is named "U2 : I will follow project" and intends to gather testimonies from U2 fans all other the world and publish a book. Sorry if this post is a bit long (that's an understatement;)!) but i wanted to explain everything. Here we go!

"While tickets for the next U2 tour 2015 were again snatched after a few hours, why is the Irish band still so popular around the world 35 years after its debut in Dublin? Why do people love U2 in Paris, Vancouver, Sydney or Buenos Aires? What kind of relationship do admirers have with the band? What do they feel when they listen to its music?

The "U2: I will follow project" is to collect testimonies from fans around the globe to answer all these questions and edit the output through a book (financed by a call for donations on a participatory platform).

In order not to go in all directions, a list of dozens of questions was established (see below). Then you are free to share other impressions of the group, telling stories, asking more questions ...

Who I am?

Claire Talgorn 37, print journalist for 15 years in a daily regional press in France. Passionate about music, of course!

Why am I interested in U2 fans?

Probably because I am one of them!

I entered the world of the four Irishmen one afternoon in 1989. I was 12 years old. I heard "Pride" on the radio and the world stopped. Their music never left me. When I listen to it is a mixture of revolt, rage, and tenderness, sweetness I feel every time.

It took me 16 years to see them on stage in July 2005 at Stade de France in Paris. And just a month to leave to attend another show in San Sebastian in August of the same year!

Why? Because U2 live is something indescribable. People often have difficulty expressing what they felt for two hours faced with this influx of continuous emotions. The heart that beats faster, the tears well up in the eyes, the desire to revolt, having broken voice, chills, goose bumps, sadness after it's finished. And if it did not return?

U2 made me travel literally and figuratively. Paris, San Sebastian, Dublin, Amsterdam, Berlin ... Each time, the on-site meetings are amazing! For the anecdote, in Paris, I almost fought with a drunk guy who wanted to take my irish flag on "Sunday bloody sunday"!

It is for you now!

Here is the questionnaire

1) How long have you been listening to U2 music? (remember the first time you heard it, what you felt, tell)

2) How do you feel when you listen to their music?

3) What is the song that speaks to you the most and why?

4) To what do you attribute the longevity of the band? How has the group changed (for those who have been following it for a long time)?

5) What is the most extraordinary, unusual, funny, weird thing have you done or experienced because of your passion for U2?

6) How would you describe your relationship with this band? Have you ever met them, tell us.

7) Have you seen U2 live? If so, tell us your best live moment (where, when, feeling ...)

8) How many times have you attended a U2 show? (where, when, why?)

9) What do you like most about them? And what don't you like?

10) What is the word that best sums up the band?

11) Please provide your name or a nickname, and especially the city or country you live in

The project can become true only through your contribution. If you are interested in participating, take twenty minutes to complete the questionnaire and return it to the following email address: u2iwillfollowproject@gmail.com

Thank you very much in advance!

Claire

PS : I'll come later on to tell you if the call has been heard... or not!

Hi everybody!

The U2 : I will follow project starts to work out right. I've already been sent a dozen of testimonies, mainly from France, but also from Brazil and India! A hundred thank you to those who've answered the questions.

But the goal of this project is to gather testimonies from all over the world, so please, if you live in Germany, Spain, Italy, Poland, Iceland, Ireland, USA, Peru, Mexico, Africa, Australia, Canada, Asia or any other country or part of the world, please tell us about your opinion about U2 music by answering the questionnary above this post and send it to u2iwillfollowproject@gmail.com  

Thank you very much

Merci beaucoup

Muchas gracias

Muita obrigada

Grazie Mille

Vielen Dank

Mange tak

बहुत बहुत धन्यवाद

köszönöm szépen

go raibh maith agat

þakka þér kærlega

çok teşekkür ederim

děkuju mnohokrát

Claire

Hi again everybody! and Merry Christmas to you all!

The "U2 : I will follow project" continues. Fans from France, Spain, Swiss, England, India, Brazil, Indonesia and USA have already shared their feelings about U2 music and told stories about live shows they've attended. Some great stories out there. 8 different countries : that's cool. Something like 25 (yes i believe in Father Christmas:)!) would be just great! 

I'm sure all of you have things to say about your favourite band and its music. So please, fans from Germany (none yet!!), Ireland, Belgium, Scotland, Italy (none too!!), Portugal, Greece, Turkey, Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Russia, Netherlands, Africa, Asia, Australia,New Zealand or any other part of the worlld, please take part in this project and send your answers to u2iwillfollowproject@gmail.com (you can write in french, english, spanish, portuguese, italian or german)

Thank you very much to all who have already taken part in it and again Merry Christmas everybody #Ohohoh;)!

Claire (from France)

PS : hope to read you soon!

Hi everybody and Happy New Year 2015 to you all! (it's gonna be great for sure:)!)

Since tonight, the U2 : I will follow project has a Facebook page. You can follow this link www.facebook.com/u2iwillfollowproject/timeline and spread the word to your network

Australia is the 9th country which has taken part in it (thank you so much Lily!).

Still looking for (what I still haven't found héhé:)!) Germany, England, Ireland, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Portugal, Argentina, Peru, New Zealand, Morocco, Tunisia, Mali, Senegal....testimonials. 

To be continued...

Claire

Hello Hello! 

News from the project U2 : I will follow. We have now 35 testimonials from 11 countries (thank you Belgium and muchas gracias Peru!). The goal is 50 testimonials from at least 15 (20 would be great) different countries.

You can still participate by answering the questionnary before the end of january.

Please, don't hesitate! That's a great collective stuff;)!

See you

Claire 

Hello,  I am from CUba and I will like to participate. Can I?

Hello, Ola:)!

Claro que puede participar. Con mucho gusto. Tiene que responder a un cuestonario Pensé que seria mejor traducir las preguntas en español. Puede responder en tu idioma.

Aqui estan las preguntas : 

1) Hace cuanto tiempo que escucha a U2? (recuerdas la primera vez que escuchaste una cancion del grupo, como te sentiste...)

2) Como te sientes cuando escuchas su musica?

3) Cual é la cancion que mas te gusta? Y porque?

4) A qué attribuye la longevidad de la banda? Como evoluciono? (para los fans que siguen-lo hace mucho tiempo)

5) Cual é la cosa mas sorprendente, divertida, inusual que usted ha hecho a causa de U2?

6) Como describiria su relacion con el grupo? Ya conoce a los miembros de la banda?

7) Has visto al U2 en concierto? Si es asi, dice su mejor momento de concierto (cuando, donde, sentimientos...)

8) Cuantas vezes has assistido a un concierto de U2? (donde, cuando, porque?)

9) Que te gusta mas en el grupo? Y que no te gusta?

10) Cual é la palabra que mas representa al grupo?

11) Por favor, danos tu nombre o tu apodo, y sobre todo el pais en el que vives. 

Muchas gracias. Espero que la traducion no es tan malo:)!

Puede enviar este cuestionario por correo electronico : u2iwillfollowproject@gmail.com

Viva Cuba!

Hasta luego

Claire

I've just sent mine, hope you got it! I'm Lily from Australia :)

same here but my name isn't Lily  ;)

I've just sent mine, hope you got it! I'm Lily from Australia :)

same here but my name isn't Lily  ;)

Got it! thank you very much;)!

I am filling it, I will fill it in English, if it is okay with you Claire. Can I be anonymous?

I am filling it, I will fill it in English, if it is okay with you Claire. Can I be anonymous?

Great! Of course, you don't have to give your real name. You can choose a nickname like you do on the internet. Please just tell the country you live in. Thank you very much! 

Just sent my contribution in. I'm Dave, from Canada