Its been a while since I paid attention to ticketmaster.com, but are they allowing customers to scalp tickets where they are charging a second "service fee" and profiting from the mark up as well?  What happened to the laws that regulated ticket reselling?

I just checked TM and the only available tickets are RESALES, which of course, are from 50% to 100% more expensive. And there are a lot of them. Some people are really making some nice money out of this 

I just checked TM and the only available tickets are RESALES, which of course, are from 50% to 100% more expensive. And there are a lot of them. Some people are really making some nice money out of this 

It's a joke really. Saw resales on there for GA in NY costing $898.98 each. How they can allow this is scandalous.

but few people scored general admission for MSG in the presale.. this whole ticketing process/fan clubs is crap!

but few people scored general admission for MSG in the presale.. this whole ticketing process/fan clubs is crap!

Couldn't even get a ticket, nevermind GA in the presale. Then this shows up on ticketmaster resales. Makes you question the whole process.

it comes down to greed... by the band, promoters, venue, etc........... all fans need to boycott concerts and sporting events for one year and you will see how fast prices and the ticketing system change!!!!

There is something major amiss with this reselling issue.  I don't get how it can be OK.  They have all these rules attempting to block scalpers and bad ticketing purchasing practices, yet here they are promoting escalated ticket prices on their own website ???  Literally 15 minutes after the own sale date ??

If this is not conflict of interest, I don't know what is.  I know in America you guys/gals got those very specific anti-trust laws, not sure if they would apply here, but, seems like this issue is in the ballpark of those laws are they not ?

I know it that a joke or what..?? ticketmaster makes you enter a code to "prevent" scalping but the are the biggest scalpers out there!!!!!

The way things have turned out, only the GA tix are "scalper-limited"--i.e., with the paperless/ID thing (except NewYork, which prohibits paperless tix completely).  So the reserved tix (AND GA, if it's NYC) are completely resellable (cf. TM's new "in-house" reselling--these are people who bought reserved tix, and have signed up w/TM to resell them).

Are the official Ticketmaster resales allowed to resell for whatever price they want? That's really bad if so, they should be limiting them to face value only. I agree with the concept of official resales - if Ticketmaster are controlling a resale platform, they can control a lot of aspects of it, eg. price, accountability, fraud prevention. Although admittedly true scalpers would still go elsewhere if Ticketmaster resales tried to control them.... but still, Ticketmaster should not be supporting inflated ticket prices.

Edited by Faye_Kelly

Are the official Ticketmaster resales allowed to resell for whatever price they want? That's really bad if so, they should be limiting them to face value only. I agree with the concept of official resales - if Ticketmaster are controlling a resale platform, they can control a lot of aspects of it, eg. price, accountability, fraud prevention. Although admittedly true scalpers would still go elsewhere if Ticketmaster resales tried to control them.... but still, Ticketmaster should not be supporting inflated ticket prices.

I could perhaps accepted a 10% mark up or thereabouts on tickets, but when they are allowing GA tickets that are on sale from $800 to over $1000 it just doesn't sit right me at all.

The idea is good. Give people a secure platform to exchange tickets. Hell, I don't even mind paying a 15% or so markup if I am 100% guaranteed the ticket is genuine and not an e-ticket being resold 6 times...

I just don't understand why they don't just cap the price to something reasonable.

I agree with you both, Kevin and Nemesis. A small markup would be fine, it would encourage people to sell openly on Ticketmaster, a secure platform with a little profit as a reward. The way they are doing things currently is ridiculous. I know that U2 and Live Nation probably won't break their partnership with Ticketmaster any time soon, since they're the biggest seller, but it'd be nice if they would say something...

Are the official Ticketmaster resales allowed to resell for whatever price they want?

Yes.

I agree with a small 10 to 15 % mark up, after all, you missed out on pre sales and normal sale….

Some English Soccer Clubs have a secure method in which to exchange tickets, all it costs is the yearly membership to the club (which usually includes a fan pack of some sort with "stuff"), no mark up on the tickets, at least I don't think there is, perhaps some one in England can confirm that.  If Ticketmaster truly cared about giving a secure platform to exchange tickets, they should look at their model…..Arsenal rocks BTW :)…yea yea I know, no need to say any more….

It was so easy to get tickets the second day of the presale, so no excuses for not getting tickets. Maybe it is time to get rid of AOL dial up. You people may benefit from the secondary market as it is saturated and many tickets are priced just about cost.  Remember prices include 25% total commission and shipping.

It was so easy to get tickets the second day of the presale, so no excuses for not getting tickets. Maybe it is time to get rid of AOL dial up. You people may benefit from the secondary market as it is saturated and many tickets are priced just about cost.  Remember prices include 25% total commission and shipping.

Speak for yourself maybe on the second day of presale. I think it was well documented on here at the time regarding the shambles of ticketmaster that stopped people getting tickets.

I'm just so sick to my stomach over this whole debacle. Right from the beginning when they gave only 1 day's notice - to selling right before Christmas - to punishing me for "letting: my subscription expire for 3 months (because I have real responsibilities!), I did renew in October, but NO, that wasn't good enough - right down to not being about to get a single ticket throughout the presale and general sale. 

Yes, I am forever Jaded over this. 

:::sobbing quietly:::

It's disgusting that legit U2 fans are getting tickets cancelled because of nonsense like two per household yet there are tons available through resale. As long as you're willing to pay above face value, it seems as if the rules go out the window.

I hadn't used TM since last U2 tour so I was thoroughly disgusted when I saw the resale tickets within 15 minutes of tickets going on sale.  Scalping is now called 'resale' and laws vary from state to state, and that's how they have gotten around the scalping issue, it's called resale.  The laws have been crafted carefully to allow scalping (resale) with certain requirements having to be met.  I won't play the game anymore.  40 years of concert going and dealing with mega corporation ticket sellers like TM, Live Nation, etc. and the whole ticket brokering business is enough.  It's been rigged since the beginning of it all back in the 60s.  If you do happen to get tickets for big acts, you got lucky.  The insane ticket prices is also disgusting.  Just keep giving your hard earned cash to mega rich artists.  I've had my fun for decades and never paid an outrageous price for a ticket.  

Seeing GA's going for $1,200 each it makes me sick to my stomach. I remember on the Vertigo Tour seeing GA's for resale $400 tops. For this tour very few are around $500 and most of them higher than $800, unbelievable.

Who knows what is selling, you don't know what price the market is at.  A listing isn't a sale.  It is the ask.  We don't know what the bids are. 

Someone could list them for a million, doesn't mean anyone is paying that right.  Right.  I have looked at the completed listings on ebay and so far $800 for a pair is the highest in NY for GA's. 

Edited by sbeck

I had posted this elsewhere, but this combined with the fact that ticketless entry makes it extremely difficult for fans to sell at face value or trade is a total racket.  Is there nothing the band can do or say?  They have to know this is happening?  I was thinking about starting an open letter/petition.  I have friends in the US who were completely shut out for tickets in presale and onsale.

Sign in to follow this