Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

The Dream Subscribers Gig

just an idea that many have talked about, wouldn't it be wonderful if somehow this tour there could be a 'free' show only for U2 subscribers...?

How could that work? Where would it be? Only subscribers (1 ticket, no swaps, no guests... there is no them, only us?)

Greedy? Never happen? Overdue?

Thoughts please (yes I will get into hot water even mentioning it) 0)

Well I'll help you if....

That would be awesome because we (I do too) love U2 so much!

Just 1 fan that has been here for years hoping and hoping for once!

Yes that would be amazing!

Bowie did something like this and if I remember correctly there was a rollcall for people members to put their name in if they were interested in attending for an undisclosed event in whatever-city (it was London in this case) @ such-and-such date. No venue info or otherwise was given, it was just a rollcall to check "are you willing to drop everything -right now-" because it may involve booking flights and whatever.

Then it was basically a lottery between those people that responded. Can't remember if tickets were sent out or you had to collect them or what, but I seem to remember an ID check there as well. Then they put up the gig and broadcasted it to cinemas across the world where people could go to watch it.

Similar thing with Nick Cave, with a gig at Koko in London (that'd be an awesome venue but very very small). Put your name forward to be in the lottery able to buy tickets. In that case "winning" the lottery allowed you to buy 2 tickets. "Tickets" weren't supplied. The winner had to show their ID at the entrance and then they'd get 2 wristbands that you had to put on then and there.

And I think Stones did something similar here in Paradiso and it basically wasn't announced at all until the day the tickets went on sale, but I don't think that's a good way to do it.

I think it would be lovely for them to go back to basics and a small club. I think it would be super exciting for them to play a small crowd and get that club-feel back too.

Olympia in Dublin, Koko or Shepherd's Bush London, Paradiso in Amsterdam, Bowery Ballroom or Terminal 5 in NY... 

Edited by nemesis

I think that would be great! And maybe have everyone get a random ticket asaigned instead of allowing us to choose. Or let us choose our tickets based on seniority...

Buy definitely have physical tickets and allow to swap. My only bummer about mobile tickets is the fact that there's nothing to keep as a souvenir.

Oh, and have two tickets per subscription. And organase the whole thing well ahead of time. :)

With the Bowie thing it was restricted to 1/non transferable. Rollcall was last half of August, gig was in the first half of September. This automatically reduces the amount of people trying to get tickets and no need for swapping.

Got a nice looking ticket to keep after the event... I still have mine! :)

Edited by nemesis

I would love it! I suppose the one ticket per subscriber thing wouldn't be great for me, because my boyfriend is a U2 fan too, and I've always thought there's no point in both of us paying a subscription, since most of the benefits wouldn't really improve by having two subscriptions (eg. would there really be a point in each of us having our own individual Artificial Horizons CD??... not really). Having said that, I've been a subscriber since two years before my boyfriend and I even started dating, so maybe I'm just rationalising away his not having a subscription, when the truth is he just hasn't subscribed and, since getting with me, no longer has a reason to, meaning it wouldn't exactly be unfair to deny him a ticket to this hypothetical gig.

I do think it wouldn't happen though. Main reason - it'd be at odds with what U2 are always trying to do, and now more than ever... get a new audience. They don't need to appeal to us, because they know we aren't going anywhere! So, if they wanted to put on a free gig for anyone, it'd probably be for the people who've never shown an interest in U2... that's the people they really need right now, from their point of view.

As for the location... Dublin, of course! I go to see the tribute band Rattle N Hum at the Sugar Club on Leeson Street... imagine trying to pack all of us into there! We'd probably need somewhere a little bigger...

Edited by Faye_Kelly

Oasis did a few 'free' shows prior to an album released.  Fans were selected at random via an email competition.  The winners had to bring a copy of the email and photo I.D to the show.  Wristbands only.

The Stone Roses did something similar two years ago in Warrington.

In 2006 Noel Gallagher played a series of 'free' acoustic concerts around the world.  The winners were selected at random from the official Oasis site, during a competition.

The problem U2 will experience is they have too many fans in every country in the world.  I suppose they could look at this forum and see which current live members have been here the longest?  But it will probably cause more trouble than it's worth, as there will be fans from the late 1970's early 80's who would argue they deserve first rights to a free concert.

Well if you make it short notice in (for example) London, that will cut out 95% of the subscribers already, since they won't be able to get there in time anyway, or don't want to make the commitment/additional investment. 

Hey didn't some Irishman once say "they may lose the pop fans but we don't need them"

I'm in. Last free U2 gig was a rehearsal in Lakeland FL for the Zoo TV tour. 8 song set including "So Cruel" which they never played in concert that I'm aware of. They tried the song 3 or 4 times but never got through it. There were about 30 of us in the arena.

I would vote for a LA & NY show just to be able to please the US fans. I'm in for Dublin again for sure. Croke Park 360 was awesome.

Bono - Dublin July 24th 2009 Croke Park

u2 dublin

Edited by Nawlins

Dublin

Phoenix Park (or croke park, yes)

Pint of Guinness included :D

Edited by monica martino

actually last free gigs were an rehearsal in San Diego & the Easter show for Vertigo, and the U2 Brooklyn  Bridge shows (360)

1 tix per sub

lottery

must be a sub of over 2 years

poll of 5 rare/unplayed songs , top 2 get played.

Very overdue;)

They owe us that £500 Bono goes on about ;)

1 ticket per subscriber 

zootop priority lol

Dublin, NYC, anywhere that means something to the band:)

my only condition...so long as I'm the one that dances with Bono on stage  :P

actually last free gigs were an rehearsal in San Diego & the Easter show for Vertigo, and the U2 Brooklyn  Bridge shows (360)

1 tix per sub

lottery

must be a sub of over 2 years

poll of 5 rare/unplayed songs , top 2 get played.

sub of 2 years?  I would say 10 

And I agree with having a way to pick some of the songs.

sub of 2 years?  I would say 10 

And I agree with having a way to pick some of the songs.

10? U2.com paid section goes back to...2004! right yes, go for 10 yrs :P

stream for paid subscribers who are unable to attend...

ok, I need a glass of water. i read who are ABLE to attend :P

As a young fan, i just started working a few years ago and could only get a subscription this year because you need to be 18 in order to have a credit card, I would feel a bit sad that because of my age i could not enter for such a gig...It should be open for all subscribers, if you've been a fan since the 80's or not doesn't mean you deserve it more...

stream for paid subscribers who are unable to attend...

Definitely! Yes to the poll of rare/unplayed songs, and the location being Dublin or NYC also makes a lot of sense.

Edited by u22009

This is why when Bowie did it, there was absolutely 0 restrictions like that, no popquizes or anything... (oh the pun!). Just had to be a paying member. I guess you could restrict it to whomever joined -before- announcement to get around last-minute subscribers), but it seems a bit unfair to me to prefer older fans over newer fans. It's not the fault of the young fans that they are young...  

Just drop your name in a hat if you can make it to xx-location-on-yy-date. Confirm when your name is pulled out. 

Setlist polls.

Tickets could be sent to yoru Apple device silently and entry with iphone only :-P

Sign in to follow this