Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

The Dream Subscribers Gig

if we could pick the set-list too.

Hmmm, not sure how that would work - maybe pick 4 or 5 tracks that the band would be willing to play live.

Edited by yardie

Didn't the Rolling Stones play a free concert to 1/2 million people on the beach at Rio de Janerio?   I have it on dvd, and i'm sure it was a free gig.

London Hyde Park would be another good venue.

Heaton Park Manchester

and Knebworth,  with it's capacity of 125'000

Edited by paulheyworth50

we are asked not to discuss numbers, so editing out those in this thread, hope you understand

It would be awesome and a special nod to their fans. They could do one in the States and another one in Europe.

I think they could do it someday but not right now in the eve of an upcoming tour.

How many times have people said this and then said its not gonna ever happen!. I'd say in Dublin for Europe or London. Be good for it to be SOI heavy then mostly rare unheard songs in the set. Its a chance to hear Gloria, Homecoming, Acrobat, Discotheque... list goes on!. Be a shame if theres a vote like U22 and the rare songs get voted off. 

we are asked not to discuss numbers, so editing out those in this thread, hope you understand

Oh sorry, didn't realise something that's readily available was a secret :-P

I'll be there.  Can it be in Palma de Mallorca and have a flight from Chicago included????

First, I'm thrilled that this is even a possibility!!  Fantastic!  And I bet that the mighty Bigwave would not broach the idea unless there actually was some nonzero chance that it could actually happen.  Wow!!  And if at all possible, of course, I'm there!

Speaking of which, given the significant number of paid members (unless this was somehow culled by adding some 5 or 10 year membership qualification or whatever), it'd be ideal if there could be one Europe show and one US show, which could reduce the numbers to a manageable level.  Also, that way, travel costs wouldn't be prohibitive for members of whichever continent a single show wasn't at, because members could go to the show in their own continent.

It would be awesome and a special nod to their fans. They could do one in the States and another one in Europe.

I think they could do it someday but not right now in the eve of an upcoming tour.

Hardly on the eve,,, its ages away!, fit in easy before the tour would start, no point doing it during or after. Be like a big promo gig :) 

Warmup gigs free for lottery winning members sounds good... Bowie used to do those too  :D

First, I'm thrilled that this is even a possibility!!  Fantastic!  And I bet that the mighty Bigwave would not broach the idea unless there actually was some nonzero chance that it could actually happen.  Wow!!  And if at all possible, of course, I'm there!

Speaking of which, given the significant number of paid members (unless this was somehow culled by adding some 5 or 10 year membership qualification or whatever), it'd be ideal if there could be one Europe show and one US show, which could reduce the numbers to a manageable level.  Also, that way, travel costs wouldn't be prohibitive for members of whichever continent a single show wasn't at, because members could go to the show in their own continent.

Agree about a big possibility as BW wouldn't mention otherwise. All about the songs, get the set right this could be one great gig!  :D

Wait... could this be for real????? Are the band going to be looking at this for serious?

:D  :D

That's very exciting...

I agree with the others, a venue in Dublin, but not Croke Park. It's too big and there's too many problems with booking it.

I do think that prioritising older subscribers is better than a lottery... even if prioritising the older ones may leave myself out as I've only been subscribing for 7 years.

How would subscriptions that have at one point lapsed for a while be dealt with? I have never let mine lapse, though I had a close call once when I didn't check my email for a few days... I was 24 hours from expiration when I renewed!

Genuinely even if I wasn't lucky enough to get tickets it would be amazing if we could share in it online. I loved my graham Norton experience and the best bit was meeting such a great group of people. Think it'd be nice for the band to acknowledge how much their core support them too

Long time member here, but this is my first time posting.  (edit: I thought this was my first post, but the box to the side says it's my 16th post… so… first post in forever?)

I love the idea of a dream subscribers gig.  For my, my dream show would probably be more about having a more obscure song choice than having a smaller venue.  So for example, in my dream scenario, I'd rather hear them play a bunch of rare songs but at a medium or large venue so that more people could have a chance to go, rather than for example them playing a hits filled show in a small club.  Don't get me wrong, I love the hits, and I can't imagine a full U2 concert without "Where The Streets Have No Name".  But how cool would it be, for one night only, if every single song that was normally on the "we have to play this one" list got set aside?  And if that was done in front of an audience of big U2 fans, so each lesser known song played would still be as recognizable to everyone in that crowd as the big hits would be to a normal crowd, how cool would that be?

I also really love the ideas that other people have posted about making the show available live for people on the internet who wouldn't be able to make it wherever it was.  Maybe press a CD and Blu-ray/DVD version of it and make that the subscriber gift for the following year, too.

I'm in NYC, so if this kind of show was here, that would be amazing.  But given a couple days notice, for a once in a lifetime show, I might be able to drop everything and disappear for a day.  If it's in Europe on short notice, there's no way I could attend, or if it was Europe with only one ticket per subscriber and no guests, I probably wouldn't be able to go either.  (I'm thinking the girlfriend would not take kindly to me planning a solo Europe vacation without her!)  But I wouldn't begrudge them for doing the show in Europe, especially if it was streamed live for subscribers who couldn't attend.  Speaking selfishly, a show in NYC with one ticket per member only, non-transferable tickets so there's zero scalping (U2 would probably have to rent out a place and run it themselves instead of relying on Ticketmaster to accomplish this), would be amazing for me.  Thinking more broadly about the band's history and the emotional ties to their hometown and all of that, Dublin maybe seems more "right" even if that means I probably wouldn't be able to make it.  What about Boston?  They've talked about that being an important city in their history, that would also be a fun place to visit for a show.

Edited by vertigojds

Kansas City show... First, middle of the US so tons of fans could get here (and there's an international airport).  KC has become quite trendy in the years since "Last Night on Earth" video.  And, let's face it, U2 kind of owes it for showing KC looking like that in Last Night on Earth....  ALSO, they haven't played here in YEARS.  ALSO, we have a new arena.   ALSO, Bono snuck here a couple of years ago to sing Christmas carols to the Hallmark employees for starting up (Red) at that company.  I think it'd be another nice tribute.  Also, I'm here.  :)  

Specific concert would be awesome- of course I'd love it to be in the States ;) easier for me to get to.

Hmmmm.... What about select members get in for special sound check on tour? Could do combo of those going to concert and maybe those that couldn't get ticket but are in the area?

But definitely agree with live streaming to paid subscribers.

First, I'm thrilled that this is even a possibility!! 

please hold any and all wild horses... it's a mere mind exercise...

do not make any plans. at all...

First, I'm thrilled that this is even a possibility!!

please hold any and all wild horses... it's a mere mind exercise...

do not make any plans. at all...

You mean I don't need to be queueing outside the 3 arena right now?

#awks

We've got some great real ale pubs here in the black country. Perfect for a gig. They could even get the cobs in. Or maybe grey pays n bacon.

Sigh - a girl can dream.

Sign in to follow this