Sign in to follow this  
andy scotson

Please no... the support acts you really would rather avoid.

PJ Harvey was awful.

I'm actually kinda worried about who U2 will choose.  Perhaps they will read this thread and the ones with the suggestions before committing.  Either that or forego the opener all together and just play longer (dream option similar to the dream concert posted by bigwave).

My No List would have to include

Death Cab For Cutie
Fun.
Beirut - the horns the horns my god the horns

I'm pretty open to whomever they want to get for opening acts. That said, my no list also includes Glasvegas, Weezer, and (I know I'll get a Starbucks latte thrown at me) Death Cab for Cutie.

Let's steer clear of Bastille, The 1975, and The Strypes to name just three.

I like The Strypes they're a good little band with good energy and some great little tunes, given their tender age. I also love how they're giving manufactured pop the middle finger - listen to What a Shame - in favour of taking the harder, more satisfying route. Fair play to them, so I'd love to see them support.

Worst U2 support I saw was Huru Guru (exactly!!!) back in the day, on the Joshua Tree tour.

As for now, the kind of plastic pop I don't like would never be chosen by U2 anyway so I'm cool whoever - it's all a precursor to the main event.

Snow Patrol were fine, but (using the 360 tour as a starting point) please please please please (!!!) no:

- Muse

- The Fray

- Interpol

Frankly, the weak opening acts for much of that tour made me worry more than anything that the 'boys' were losing touch with what is good in music out there.

Now shall we start a 'please use....' thread?

I agree with Muse. If Muse are present, they should not be the opening act. U2 should open for Muse. Muse are MUCH better and they are the  number one band in the world over the last 10 years . I love them so much....

:huh:  :o  :wacko: What the actual f*ck  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Snow Patrol were fine, but (using the 360 tour as a starting point) please please please please (!!!) no:

- Muse

- The Fray

- Interpol

Frankly, the weak opening acts for much of that tour made me worry more than anything that the 'boys' were losing touch with what is good in music out there.

Now shall we start a 'please use....' thread?

I agree with Muse. If Muse are present, they should not be the opening act. U2 should open for Muse. Muse are MUCH better and they are the  number one band in the world over the last 10 years . I love them so much....

:huh:  :o  :wacko: What the actual f*ck  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Quite amuseing  :P

I'm planning on staying outside with my drink and my cigarettes until 5 minutes before the boys take the stage... how I long for the good old days when we could smoke in arenas and stadiums... nowadays it's only Adam Clayton and Bono who can get away with it...

and let's face it, over the decades they've had quite a few lemons (Zooropa 93 anyone, PopMart Tour London UK, anyone?)

so I'm not even bothered by the support acts, the only times I've been impressed were on the Vertigo Tour in Paris, Brussels, Barcelona, Milan, and Dublin... and on that tour, which was a stadium tour, I could smoke...

I can't recall who opened in London on the Zooropa tour. I was at the Salmon Rushdie gig but can't for the life of me remember who was supporting - was that the one with the oversized U2 heads..? My memory fades.. 

Have to say the Wembley 360 gig was remarkable because (for me) the sound was really dreadful.. Elbow were better given how bad the sound was when U2 came onstage. Manchester on the Vertigo tour was bad too, which is why I'm looking to them getting back indoors - these big stadiums in the UK aren't all that. Twickers was good though! 

Please save us from Coldplay :)

Haha, imagine the night before your gig (hope it's not mine too) and Bono has another accident - just a small one keeping him out for a few nights - and on walks 'substitu2' Chris Martin.. 

No Jay Z or Kayne West like we had in NZ

I still can remember the opening night on nov2006 in Brisbane when Kanye West came on stage with the skeleton suit  :wacko:

Arcade Fire's ramshackle hipster schtick is tiresome. So tiresome.

Same for Mumford & Sons, the Avett Brothers, and similar throwback acts.

Fair enough. That's the beauty of music. My pals and I have a blast, enjoy their music and get a charge out of their energy. And for an opening...energy matters.

I was at the last U2 concert of 360 in MONK TOWN (Moncton) and as big and long time U2 fan as I am, Arcade Fire owned the night from our RED ZONE out to the top of the hill.

how about every band that we already know of. 

U2 has a decent track record of having up and coming bands support them and then those bands going on to greater things.

I have been introduced to a few of my now favorite bands by first seeing them as a warm up act.

Having said that I would also be a fan of having no warm up, some have been just awful.

I've had to suffer through Public Enemy, Rage Against the Machine, and Smashmouth at previous U2 shows, so a big no to all of them. Though, I'm not sure any of them are still around.

The best opener I've seen was Florence and the Machine, by far.

Why are all people hating on Interpol and Muse? These are 2 great bands. Even Bono said it when confirming U2's appearance on KROQ's Almost Acoustic Christmas (before his accident) "If Interpol and the Smashing Pumpkins are gonna be there we gotta be there". Interpol's latest album got great reviews everywhere and The 2nd Law by Muse was awesome. If I had to complain about an artist whose songs sound all the same that would be Mumford and Sons. So my list would be:

-No Taylor Swift

-No Pink

-No Rise Against

-No Imagine Dragons

-No Linkin Park

-No Incubus

-No Fall Out Boy

-No Ok Go

-No Dave Matthews Band

-No 30 Seconds to Mars

and just in case

-No Bieber, one direction of 5 secs of summer (we're not little kids)

do they really need an opening act? i think they've reached the legendary status where one is not required. In fact, they shoudl be playing much longer at this point.

Let's see I've seen

Kings of Leon- put me off them entirely...for good

Kanye West- about what I expected, wasn't as a big an a$$ as now though. I sat through his set 3x.

Black Eyed Peas- surprisingly solid. They brought the energy to the Vegas desert and it set up the rest of the night properly

The Fray- God, it just wouldn't stop. I wasn't sad I spent 90 mins in the merch line (four booths on the concourse for 50,000+ people...nuts!) in Edmonton, missing the entire set. I had to hear it, however. :(

So, no to the Fray. No, also to Imagine Dragons, Bastille, Coldplay, Mumford and Sons. Yes (if I may break the rules) to St. Vincent, War on Drugs, Spoon. 

Steel Panther...just to see the expressions on everybody's faces...

muse was great at 360

kings of leon bored me to near death on vertigo

cant remember who opened the pop tour...

i would like to see BECK such a great artist.

I've had to suffer through Public Enemy, Rage Against the Machine, and Smashmouth at previous U2 shows, so a big no to all of them. Though, I'm not sure any of them are still around.

The best opener I've seen was Florence and the Machine, by far.

I'd be well up for RATM!!... probably not ideal for this tour though. 

Let's see I've seen

Kings of Leon- put me off them entirely...for good

Kanye West- about what I expected, wasn't as a big an a$$ as now though. I sat through his set 3x.

Black Eyed Peas- surprisingly solid. They brought the energy to the Vegas desert and it set up the rest of the night properly

The Fray- God, it just wouldn't stop. I wasn't sad I spent 90 mins in the merch line (four booths on the concourse for 50,000+ people...nuts!) in Edmonton, missing the entire set. I had to hear it, however. :(

So, no to the Fray. No, also to Imagine Dragons, Bastille, Coldplay, Mumford and Sons. Yes (if I may break the rules) to St. Vincent, War on Drugs, Spoon. 

Agree with all of that!

Sign in to follow this