Sign in to follow this  
andy scotson

Please no... the support acts you really would rather avoid.

Steel Panther...just to see the expressions on everybody's faces...

I was just heading for the end of the thread to write exactly the same thing! 

STEEL PANTHER are the best band I have seen in recent years (4 times now). Wouldn't it be so much fun to have a band like that shake things up, wake everyone up and actually do what a support band should do, and warm the crowd up rather than act as a pre-U2 anaesthetic? Their gigs are so much fun.

Glasvegas are one of the worst bands I have ever seen in any setting. I was just staring at them thinking 'How can this lot be successful on any level?' Don't get it at all.

Interpol were very dull and even Kasabian were pretty ropey In Frankfurt. I think they were just very confused at being a support and not having the crowd immediately on their side.

Elbow were good as they had the confidence to play like they meant it, and looked and sounded as if they felt they deserved to be up there. 

If Steel Panther are busy, it would of course be brilliant to have BABYMETAL!!  :D

do they really need an opening act? i think they've reached the legendary status where one is not required. In fact, they shoudl be playing much longer at this point.

But then how would it look for an older 'legendary' status band to not be supporting new, exciting music? (yes, it does exist)

Anyone remember Fatima Mansions from 1992 Zoo Tv Tour?

Christ!!  

:o

I do. It was just awful ! And BP Fallon was not much better.

Edited by StephOnTour87

Snow Patrol and Kaiser Chiefs. I like them, but have seen them and I prefer something new.

I'd like Noel Gallagher, Stereophonics, One Republic.

I have all of you beat, in 2005 on Vertigo the opening act was Institute (who you ask - exactly!) I loved Muse (twice), we got in trouble for booing Florence and the Machine.  (Bono gave quick lecture on being nice to guest).

I would love to see One Republic or Imagine Dragons as an opening act. 

I'm planning on staying outside with my drink and my cigarettes until 5 minutes before the boys take the stage... how I long for the good old days when we could smoke in arenas and stadiums... nowadays it's only Adam Clayton and Bono who can get away with it...

and let's face it, over the decades they've had quite a few lemons (Zooropa 93 anyone, PopMart Tour London UK, anyone?)

so I'm not even bothered by the support acts, the only times I've been impressed were on the Vertigo Tour in Paris, Brussels, Barcelona, Milan, and Dublin... and on that tour, which was a stadium tour, I could smoke...

I can't recall who opened in London on the Zooropa tour. I was at the Salmon Rushdie gig but can't for the life of me remember who was supporting - was that the one with the oversized U2 heads..? My memory fades.. 

Have to say the Wembley 360 gig was remarkable because (for me) the sound was really dreadful.. Elbow were better given how bad the sound was when U2 came onstage. Manchester on the Vertigo tour was bad too, which is why I'm looking to them getting back indoors - these big stadiums in the UK aren't all that. Twickers was good though! 

Agree about wembley360 and manchester for vertigo were awful  especially wembley 360 it was no where near loud enough for a rock gig you shouldnt be able to hear everyone around yo rabbiting on.Saw acdc at wembley also and it seemed twice the volume and was much better for it even though u2 are may fav band.How the sound crew won awards is ridiculous as it was shocking.I went both nights 1st night about 50 yards from the front second night in the seats to the side about 20 rows up and it was truly pathetic .Fair play to them for being loyal but the sound crew need ditching and have said it for years my cell phone is louder, its a rock gig ffs not sunday service.It really spoiled it for me.You cannot blame the stadiums as i have seen many groups at the same places and u2 have had the worst by far sound in quality and volume.The only one that was reasonable was popmart at leeds

Edited by claire49

Agree about Wembley somebody needs to take the sound crew to an amp shop and buy a few more.

Who remembers Lone Justice from the Unforgettable Fire Tour?  That was pretty bad!  So hit or miss over the years, but it's only a brief set so if the opener is lousy no big deal.  

How about Dale Newman?

Former Genesis roadie who somehow landed himself a spot opening for the Genesis tribute act The Musical Box at The Royal Albert Hall. I saw his whole set by mistake. It was so bad it wasn't even funny. 

A collection of songs that never should have made it out of the privacy of his own house. Regrettably immortalised here on YouTube.

(Mind you, I still think Glasvegas were worse...)

Edited by Bungo

U2 usually have really bad opening acts

Glasvegas in Cardiff it was painful , In Manchester in Vertigo  I saw athlete whey were also bad but the worse of all is also the Vertigo tour  in Mexico city the secret machines 

Athlete are definitely the worst I've seen, I thought their set at Twickers was never going to end.

How about bringing some old firends from the salad days on the road with them? Simple Minds? Big Country? Mike Peters?

Obviously, they should have a really new band open for them on Innocence dates, and a very seasoned band open for them on Experience... not sure a seasoned band would want to only play every 4 days, though.

How about bringing some old firends from the salad days on the road with them? Simple Minds? Big Country? Mike Peters?

Mike Peters was fronting Big Country for a tour or two.

Simple Minds would be pretty cool. Their stature has definitely diminished over here in North America, to the point where I could see them opening up for U2.

I think my earlier idea of having a different band for each night. Go with a newer band for the Innocence night, and one of their contemporaries for night 2 (Simple Minds, James, and The Alarm would be great (2015 marks 30 years since Strength was released.)

Mike Peters was fronting Big Country for a tour or two.

Simple Minds would be pretty cool. Their stature has definitely diminished over here in North America, to the point where I could see them opening up for U2.

Simple Minds seem to be having a bit of a revival over here (UK). They opened the BBC Sport Personality of the Year show last night (like the UK Oscars of sport), playing Waterfront live. First time I've seen them on UK TV for years and years!

At this point names are just popping into my head and I'm thinking "Oh God no!" One other band I don't want to see is Snow Patrol. Bland, derivative and uninteresting.

Simple Minds...nice call.

Not sure how SIA would translate in an arena but she is fantastic live in intimate spaces, so GA's would appreciate her.

Or/and all UK shows opened by a reunion of The English Beat !

You guys are just reminding me of the bands I'd love to see:  Muse, Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Jay Z...... and Spoon - who said Spoon? What a fabulous idea!  And how about Young the Giant?  My only problem with opening acts is that they usually get the inferior sound system

This thread just keeps reminding me of Glasvegas. Not a happy memory at all...

Can I just ask what was so bad about Glasvegas? I'm not particularly interested in their music, I'm just intrigued to know.

Can I just ask what was so bad about Glasvegas? I'm not particularly interested in their music, I'm just intrigued to know.

I've purged the fine details from my mind, but as I recall their set was a succession of very dull songs, led by a bloke who appeared to be attempting to project some 'attitude' which might have worked in a small, dim club, but on a bright sunlit stage in the middle of a stadium, really didn't work.

The band were totally charisma free and peculiarly had a 'drummer' who I seem to recall was standing up and basically doing a sort of living metronome thing on one (maybe two?) drums with no variation at all (as I recall).

They looked and sounded totally out of place. Their whole set was like pulling teeth. I would much rather have had silence for the duration. I think the vast majority in attendance were feeling the same way judging by the complete lack of response.

There are many bands out there that I don't particularly like but I get why other people do. There are a lot of bands I've seen as supports who I've gone out and bought an album the next day, sometimes several. This lot I couldn't comprehend at all.

Sign in to follow this