Sign in to follow this  
elkesven

Does Everyone Prefer GA?

Just curious if everyone prefers to have Red zone or GA tickets or do they sell out quickly because the cost is lower?

Edited by elkesven

The answer is simple--for serious fans, GA gets you at least as good a view as the best seats, and is way cheaper.

The answer is simple--for serious fans, GA gets you at least as good a view as the best seats, and is way cheaper.

I certainly wouldn't agree with the "at least as good a view", but it is way cheaper. My first choice is always GA.

I read that Red Zone was $400, was that a mistake by the person who posted it? Evenko for Montreal has the prices for each location and it was listed at $84. 

OT: I like being GA especially getting as close as possible. Not sure if I'll queue all day for this show since its in the round.

I used to always get seats due to my friends' preferences - did VIP and then whatever else I could afford for the following shows. Last tour I told myself that I'm doing GA and if the people with me don't like that then they can get their own seats! I'm going it alone.

I certainly wouldn't agree with the "at least as good a view", but it is way cheaper. My first choice is always GA.

Why do you say that?  If you're willing to line up early, you can always get a better view w/GA (i.e., get close to the stage) than with seats.  Sure, if you arrive later, you can end up a ways back in GA, but it's up to you.

Why do you say that?  If you're willing to line up early, you can always get a better view w/GA (i.e., get close to the stage) than with seats.  Sure, if you arrive later, you can end up a ways back in GA, but it's up to you.

I did find that in GA I couldn't see most of the stage most of the time from the inner circle, but was 360, other designs may be different. The stage was too high in 360 to actually be visible from the inner circle. But it may have been decent from the main pitch.

Ah, I see what you mean.  Yeah, the stage in 360 was unusually high (relative to prior US arena tours).  So sure, especially if one wasn't tall, being up close to the front rail could cause some visibility issues, as it sounds like you experienced.  Myself, I'm 6 feet, and never had any problems seeing the stage.  I also tended to be toward the back of the inner circle, center, and from there could see everything just fine.  Besides all that, though, even if one was outside the inner circle but reasonably close to the outer catwalk, one would still be closer than basically any seat in a stadium.

In any case, this being an arena tour, it's doubtful that the stage will be as high as with 360.

There is one thing (a creeping cancer of 21st century gigs), that would cause me to disagree slightly.

At one of the 360 shows I was about three rows back from the front of the outer circle which was a great view, until any one of the band walked around at which point EVERYONE in front of me stuck their phones up in the air to take pictures, as well as two girls on the rail who had some banner they held up, all of which blocked the view COMPLETELY!  

Was kind of ironic that anytime a band member was close by, the view disappeared. Very annoying! :(

I hear what you're saying.  Yeah, that kind of thing bugs me too--the incessant "holding up the phones in the air to take a pic" thing.  Very annoying; makes it considerably harder to see.

Another thing that annoyed me in GA last tour. Got there early and got into the inner circle, positioned ourselves on Adams side back far enough to see the stage, but close enough to see everything perfectly. A few minutes before the show a few drunk blokes turn up withgirlfriends and worm their way in front of us.  No worry still a great view..................Until they lifted their girlfriends onto their shoulders.  :angry:  Spend a lot of time looking at some random womans thong top and bum antler tattoo.

Didn't totaly spoil the show but the view was "obstructed" hopefully there will be no need for shoulder lifting shenanigans in the Red Zone  :)

Another thing that annoyed me in GA last tour. Got there early and got into the inner circle, positioned ourselves on Adams side back far enough to see the stage, but close enough to see everything perfectly. A few minutes before the show a few drunk blokes turn up withgirlfriends and worm their way in front of us.  No worry still a great view..................Until they lifted their girlfriends onto their shoulders.  :angry:  Spend a lot of time looking at some random womans thong top and bum antler tattoo.

Didn't totaly spoil the show but the view was "obstructed" hopefully there will be no need for shoulder lifting shenanigans in the Red Zone  :)

Aaaarrggghhh! Don't get me started on that! Unbelievably selfish!

The best reaction to this I saw was many, many years ago at a Queen gig at Wembley stadium. It had rained earlier in the day so by the time Queen came on the floor was covered in all kinds of horrible wet crap. Any time that a girl was hoisted onto a bloke's shoulders, people behind them were immediately pelting her back and head with handfuls of the wet rubbish from the floor.

Most chose to get down pretty quickly then.

I think this was an excellent solution to this selfish act.  :D

Absolutely.  Unfortunately, every once in a while (c. 10-20%, in my experience), some jerk(s) come to a U2 show and act like total asses in ways similar to this.  A total bummer when it happens, especially since the overwhelming majority of U2 fans are really nice, considerate, etc.

Aw man... this is the first time I got GA tickets and my second U2 show (the first time I could only afford 300s but everything else sold out and I was so far away)... I was so excited, but people are now saying it is not a good view. :-/ 

Can anyone recommend how early to get there so I am not stuck far away from the stage? 

^^^ I'd start queuing now if I was you.. ;)

Or alternatively take a burly boyfriend and get up on his shoulders just as the band come on. Perfect solution! 

Edited by Bungo

Aw man... this is the first time I got GA tickets and my second U2 show (the first time I could only afford 300s but everything else sold out and I was so far away)... I was so excited, but people are now saying it is not a good view. :-/ 

Can anyone recommend how early to get there so I am not stuck far away from the stage? 

My experience (having done GA w/dozens of U2 shows) is that you basically WILL have a very good view, as long as: 1) You're not particularly short; and 2) You don't end up stuck directly behind somebody really tall, and 3) Get in the GA line early.  Regarding getting there so that you're close to the stage/catwalk/whatever, with arena shows, getting there pretty early is important.  If you really want a prime spot, get there in the morning, say 9:00.  Also, my guess is that with this stage setup (main stage one end, RZs/b-stage other end, catwalk connecting them right down the middle), there may be more opportunities to get a good spot (vs. having just one stage).  Bungo and I, however, will kill you if you get up on anybody's shoulders.

Bungo and I, however, will kill you if you get up on anybody's shoulders.

:D

I'm going it alone for the first London show (GA)....I'm planning on getting another ticket for the Nov 2nd show, tomorrow... I'm not sure if RZ will be available, but if so...do I go RZ or GA! Ummmm...I did RZ during 360...decisions....

I prefer GA. If you're prepared to work for it & get there early the view & energy in GA is incomparable. My first 360 show was RZ in Phoenix. A little more chilled, with a good overall view of the stage (which is why I chose RZ for my first 360 show). The energy just wasn't there, looking across the back to the inner circle crowd, who weren't going nuts. A pretty poor crowd all around I guess, though the people right up front seemed to be getting into it.

For my 360 GA shows, I've arrived very early, & got prime spots. Either front rail, which can't be beaten for views & energy, or centre outer rail, with views & energy a little bit better than RZ. Only exception was the shit fight at the Rose Bowl, where I ended up inner rail of the catwalk. Not a great view for a short guy, & not a great crowd, as there were quite a few people who were just there to get there 5 seconds of fame on a DVD.

As for this tour, who knows what RZ will be like. Much depends on where it's positioned, with maps so far showing it'll be near a b-stage, or near Edge.

Oh, & having the toilets for RZ on the last tour was a nice touch. You certainly don't want to have to go when you're at the front of GA.

Edited by ddarroch

My experience (having done GA w/dozens of U2 shows) is that you basically WILL have a very good view, as long as ... You don't end up stuck directly behind somebody really tall

I never get when people say they got stuck behind someone tall at a GA show. Umm, move? I've had people come later than I arrived, stand behind me, and then say they can't see... which begs the question, why did you stop behind me then? You picked that spot.

Sign in to follow this