What are the chances U2 will do what Bruce Springsteen does and put recordings of the shows up on the site for us to download the show that we went to?

That'd be great--although U2 has never done it before.

What would be amazing is do what Peter Gabriel does and sell silver cds of individual shows. The mixes are so-so but great to have a proper souvenir from the shows. 

I would welcome anything like this. I love to have a recording of the shows i've been too.

I'd also love to have copies of shows I went to… the Bruce Springsteen digital download method would be fine for me, but the Peter Gabriel pressed CD version would also be fine.  (Peter's CDs are more expensive than Bruce's downloads, but to me there's something cool about having a tangible, physical object to commemorate the event.)  It's usually pretty easy just to find a bootleg recording from a show for free, but i'd be willing to spend $20 for a professional quality recording done by the band.

Didn't releasie Bruce had started this!

Would love for U2 to do this as well.

Being the corporate money making machine they are these days, it can only be a matter of time before they latch onto this cash cow.

They talked about doing this a while ago (at the time it was going to be something new in the industry), but I think the problem they ran into is that they are perfectionists (especially the Edge) and just could not live with the sonic imperfections of each recording without proper mixing etc., which is why we have received odds and ends of live performances during tours and usually at least one full live show for a tour (after they commit the time to focus on it), but not every gig - they just don't have the time to record, mix and release all of the shows at the quality level they insist upon.

Edited by johnovox

It's certainly not the same thing, but I HAVE been able to find much of the 360 show I went to on YouTube.

I have managed to find recordings of all of my shows I've been to also, but would love soundboard quality recordings.  Pearl Jam also does those and you even get a neat little box to put them in.

To be fair the fans produce excellent recordings and some of the multi cam edits from 360 were astonishingly good.

It was so cool to see Bruce do this.  A dream come true.  My god, I wish U2 would embrace this and make such recordings available.

phish already does this for every show. You can use the barcode number from your ticket and get the whole show  soundboard from the show that night on livephish.com. Its available 30 minutes after the show. I think u2 should start doing this.

Just downloaded a couple of shows from Bruce Springsteen's site. Brilliant idea, only $9.95 for MP3 of show. Would love U2 to do this although mixing up the sets like Bruce would obviously help sales. But I won't hold my breath on that one !

U2 really need to get with the times on this one.   I have heard they are "perfectionists" and don't want mistakes getting out from when they play live for eons.   Well, every show is bootlegged and put on the net anyway, sometimes with inferior qualify.   So inferior quality recordings are being put out there which can make a performance sound bad.  Flies in the face of the perfectionist argument.   That is why Bruce decided to do it.  He heard the bootlegs out there and said we can do better than that.  Technology has reached a level where it is easy to release these recordings via download, H drives, CD's, etc. and even sell the download codes at a merchandise stand at the actual concert.  Nothing better than a memento of a show you attended than a fantastic soundboard professional recording.   Not to mention U2 record every single show anyway and have done so since the mid eighties.

There were rumors that U2 were finally going to do this on this tour.   Sadly they obviously were just rumors.  U2 either should do this (donate the profits to charity if you think It is a money grab or something) or be open having your concerts taped.  It is just old school stuck in the mud thinking that is stopping them. 

Edited by Blue_Room

Sign in to follow this