Sign in to follow this  
irishmonk

Supporting Acts [MERGED]

Wouldn't mind any from the vertigo tour, anything that suits the album would be ok. Like a rock act but wouldnt fancy a heavy rock act before the acoustic show for instance.

Has to be...

BABYMETAL!

Oh my God yes!  :lol:

Having seen Babymetal myself (at Sonisphere back in July) I think it would be absolutely hilarious for them to support U2.

Wouldn't mind any from the vertigo tour, anything that suits the album would be ok. Like a rock act but wouldnt fancy a heavy rock act before the acoustic show for instance.

same here. Whomever they get, i hope it fits.

New-ish band for night 1

Experienced band for night 2 (....I'm with the earlier suggestion of James.)

Arcade Fire seems seriously unlikely given they played to sold out arenas across North American this year as headliners.

No opening act required. Period.

Agreed.  NO opening act would be the best way to go.

I think all of us would love to see a U2 show along the likes of Springsteen's. Given how tightly choreographed U2's shows are compared to Springsteen I really can't see this happening. Perhaps more importantly, I just don't think Bono's voice could handle that sort of demand.

Here in the UK i think these would be  a good choice for next year.....

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club  - (they supported in 2005)

The Courteeners

Primal Scream  - (would work in Glasgow, definitely) 

The Charlatans  - (new album out in March)

In the USA i think Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds would be a very good choice.

Hozier in Dublin surely

Hozier will be in Slane for Foo Fighters next year. but I would love to see him "with" U2 also

Bon Jovi and Paul McCartney had no opening acts when I saw them U2 should follow that route and play for 3 1/2 hours like sir Paul!

NO ONE......an evening with U2. Thank you very much.

a bit like Springsteen, I like it.

I'd love the National but (shhhhh) would worry they would upstage U2.  U2 has been my #1 band for about 30 years now, but nobody does a better live show right now than the National.

Still, that would be more than a little epic.

will never happen though as National are too big now.

The real issue is that with this odd schedule (few cities, many shows per city) it will be an odd band that can open.  Not someone that is large enough to do their own headlining tour or that wants to hit as many cities as possible to build up fan support.

either someone; established that does not have an album to tour on at the moment OR someone very small/obscure (but locally popular) that U2 wants to give a boost to.  That is kind of what the Rolling Stones have done on past tours......

I'd love the National but (shhhhh) would worry they would upstage U2.  U2 has been my #1 band for about 30 years now, but nobody does a better live show right now than the National.

Still, that would be more than a little epic.

will never happen though as National are too big now.

The real issue is that with this odd schedule (few cities, many shows per city) it will be an odd band that can open.  Not someone that is large enough to do their own headlining tour or that wants to hit as many cities as possible to build up fan support.

either someone; established that does not have an album to tour on at the moment OR someone very small/obscure (but locally popular) that U2 wants to give a boost to.  That is kind of what the Rolling Stones have done on past tours......

The National certainly aren't to big for the States...I'd rather the Editors, if War on Drugs is a no-go

Noel Gallagher would work well in the USA.   Here in the UK Noel sell's out arena's, but only theatres in the USA.  Both Noel and U2 are good friends.  Oasis once supported U2 in San Francisco on the PopMart Tour 1997.  

In the UK i think The Charlatans would work.  They have a new album coming soon.  So would Primal Scream.  Primal Scream in Glasgow would be mega cool.

Royal Blood.  I didn't manage to get tickets for their Belgian gig in Brussels, so bring it on, U2.

Good choice.

Royal Blood are supporting Foo Fighters on next years UK stadium tour.

I watched Royal Blood last year support Arctic Monkeys.

Royal Blood.  I didn't manage to get tickets for their Belgian gig in Brussels, so bring it on, U2.

Good choice.

Arctic Monkeys would be great too :)

Why couldn't it be U2 for 2.5 hours, with a brief break in between? 

I'd much rather hear them play selections from throughout their catalogue (i.e., not just the hits) than listen to anyone else. 

(And I say this having really appreciated their bringing unique bands to the fore via their opening slot through the years)

Good choice.

Seeing them in Portsmouth next year, not sure if they would be good before an acoustic set if though.

Weird one...but wouldn't mind The Ting Tings their surprisingly good live

Sign in to follow this