Sign in to follow this  
irishmonk

Supporting Acts [MERGED]

Noel Gallagher would work well in the USA.   Here in the UK Noel sell's out arena's, but only theatres in the USA.  Both Noel and U2 are good friends.  Oasis once supported U2 in San Francisco on the PopMart Tour 1997.  

In the UK i think The Charlatans would work.  They have a new album coming soon.  So would Primal Scream.  Primal Scream in Glasgow would be mega cool.

Always up for the Charlatans  :) Hoping they do Glastonbury next year as well

Noel Gallagher would work well in the USA.   Here in the UK Noel sell's out arena's, but only theatres in the USA.  Both Noel and U2 are good friends.  Oasis once supported U2 in San Francisco on the PopMart Tour 1997.  

In the UK i think The Charlatans would work.  They have a new album coming soon.  So would Primal Scream.  Primal Scream in Glasgow would be mega cool.

Always up for the Charlatans  :) Hoping they do Glastonbury next year as well

Respect to you dude!!

Of course we all would love to see only U2 for 2.5 hours, or 3 hours, or 4 hours (like The Boss), but it will never happen. U2 has always been about promoting a variety of musical tastes (one of the reasons I love them so), and have often gone out of their way to mix it up. It just kills me that I missed Rage Against the Machine by two shows on Popmart. I also would have loved to see Public Enemy on ZooTV, or Jay Z on 360. But I do consider myself very lucky to have seen Pixies, PJ Harvey, and Muse open for them. My point is, the band tend to want to expose their audience to new sounds that aren't always typical of the "U2 sound".

Japandroids in Vancouver would be awesome. Also Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. And if The Dalton Brothers made another appearance, I think I might actually crap my pants.

I'd love to see Editors play before a show in the UK. :)

I've seen Editors 4 times, they are one of the best live acts I've ever seen and to have them supporting U2 in a stadium setting would go so well.

Support acts. M'eh ;)

That's beer time. Even 'Snow Patrol' a band who I actually really like and have seen a couple of times on home turf, managed to catch the final melodic bars, literally , at Croker '05 - wild horses couldn't get us out of the liquid bar!

U2, main attraction, accept no subs.

U2 playing a longer show with no opener is my top pick as well.  

With the extra time they could include songs like...

Boomerang II

Acrobat

Red Hill Mining Town

Three Sunrises

Salome

Luminous Times

Spanish Eyes
Deep in the Heart

So Cruel

I could go on and on and on... :D

Bruce Springsteen and Chris Martin playing with all of U2 except Bono.... ;-)

Seriously, I've seen Kings of Leon twice post- Caleb's rehab, and they were smokin'! They'd be my choice.

In the USA i think Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds would be a very good choice.

I like Noel Gallagher but he would not be a good choice for anywhere in North America. Oasis wasn't big here the way they were in Europe. It wouldnt go over well. I've been to one of his concerts when he toured w Snow Patrol. Let's just say people weren't enthusiastic about him. He's a talented guy, I think he deserves more than that.

Call me an 80s college rock dinosaur, but I still want to see Michael Stipe sing.

So give me Michael Stipe - SOLO - as an opener and I could die happy.

NO ONE......an evening with U2. Thank you very much.

yes, play longer please.

Walking Papers, The Missionary Position if any support act

This summer the "evenings with Pearl Jam" were also great, no support, just 3 hours of the artist you come to see and hear

Edited by malahidemarina

Here's an outside the box idea that could be fun for the North American dates: Jimmy Fallon and The Roots. Their rendition of Desire was fun to see and most late night talk shows are reruns in the summer anyway so they ought to be available. I'm thinking it would be great to see something just plain entertaining as opposed to just another band we'd just as soon finish up so we can get to the show!

Im still thinking on who I'd like to see open. My tastes are eclectic so Im fairly open, to an extent.

How about...

Hozier

Jack White (tho not sure how open he'd be to the idea of being an opener)

Snow Patrol (yes, i know... But i like them & they're great live)

The Fray (dont hurt me...)

OneRepublic (running away now! )

Band of Skulls. George Ezra. Both would be good for UK. Maybe even Zola Jesus a bit like pj Harvey.

heck George Ezra might work for North America too

NO ONE......an evening with U2. Thank you very much.

yes, play longer please.

That would be great.

Edited by pantheon

Rush

*Stands up clapping loudly*

My head would actually explode if this ever happened (it won't).

Band of Skulls. George Ezra. Both would be good for UK. Maybe even Zola Jesus a bit like pj Harvey.

Saw band of skulls few weeks back, good band live and some cracking songs

So who will support U2 next year? I would love to see Bombay Bicycle Club...

Bombay Bicycle Club won't want to be U2's support act, not considering what they've been saying about the iTunes release...

Rush

Why in god's green earth would a band who has been around LONGER than U2, who can sell out arenas around the world in their own right, OPEN for any other band?

Rush

Why in god's green earth would a band who has been around LONGER than U2, who can sell out arenas around the world in their own right, OPEN for any other band?

Clearly it won't (which is why I cunningly added 'it won't' after my comment), but what an awesome suggestion from mrmike.

On a separate note...

Probably too big in their own right in Europe now, but how about Biffy Clyro on some 2016 South American or Australasian stadium shows?

I'm not one of the people who' travel overseas to see U2, but I would actually considering doing so if Biffy were the opener! Their Sunday night headliner at Reading Festival 2013 remains to this day the best gig of my life. Their live shows are so intense, you can see how much energy, effort and physical exertion goes into their performances every time they're onstage. They already sort-of supported U2 at Glastonbury - they were on the Pyramid Stage before U2 and Morrissey.

Sign in to follow this