Sign in to follow this  
whalers14

Do Tix Like Pearl Jam Does

Yes, Pearl Jam has a fanatic fan base, even more then U2.

Sing alongs are part of a show. Hear the audience sing along with

Black, Jeremy, Why Go, Eddie even encourages it.

Although can imagine a show being ruined by constantly having drunks around screaming

I agree on the merch! on the last tour it was cool to have shirts with the stadium on the back, but in general the merch was kind of meh.

Second this. The shirts with the stadium plan on the back and dates were very good, regret not getting one.

Some of the other designs were OK but they were by far the best seemed to sell well too.

PJ and U2 are both significantly different show experiences.  With the production U2 puts into a show, I think there is little if any room for surprises.  Which is unfortunate.  But U2 has always pretty much maintained the same setlist throughout a tour even when the production was much less than current shows like in JT era.    Just go look it up.  It is a futile request.  I feel lucky if ONE song deviates from the norm.  

I enjoy both types of shows.  PJ put on  killer show here this fall.  They are really in their prime from a live perspective.  

The ticketing for fan club....the reason I left PJ was due to going to this lottery.  I went from getting tickets to almost every show I wanted to rarely getting tix.  So i just said screw that and went secondary market.  I think U2 has a good ticketing and I always have gotten tickets.  I have no complaints.

I have been a U2 fan since 1987 and attended a show for every tour in US since then. I can afford tickets for all of these shows, but these ticket prices are an absolute disgrace! $312 for an upper deck seat?? They have put me in the  bad position to tell the band to eff off after all of these years. Huge Pearl Jam fan too, PJ blows away U2. 3+ hour shows where every show is different. $70 or so for all tickets! PJ live puts on the best shows of any band I have ever seen for an incredibly fair price. They care about the fans. U2 only seems to care about extracting every last penny they can.

Sorry guys, after 28 years, time to jump off the bandwagon, it is a matter of principle.

Oh, yeah, I forgot , did get a $10 album for free!!!

This is really going round in circles...the comparison between U2 and PJ is not relevant.

Nor is the comparison between any other band and U2 and what the ticket prices are. Do you honestly think and I mean HONESTLY that PJ would not charge $300+ dollars for a ticket if they thought they could sell them at that price and sell out venues all over the world at that price?

That goes for ANY band too....its supply and demand....Simple business/economics.

Only if I don't have to endure a 3 hour sing-a-long like my last Pearl Jam experience.

Never, never again.

Yeah how dare Pearl Jam do a 3 hour plus show every night and play 35-40 different songs every night and charge $78 for every seat in the house!!

As opposed to 2 hours and the same 22 songs every night except for the occasional one song switch.

I hear that Vedder tends to forget more lyrics during a show within the 'larger' set list selection though. Is this true?

This is really going round in circles...the comparison between U2 and PJ is not relevant.

Nor is the comparison between any other band and U2 and what the ticket prices are. Do you honestly think and I mean HONESTLY that PJ would not charge $300+ dollars for a ticket if they thought they could sell them at that price and sell out venues all over the world at that price?

That goes for ANY band too....its supply and demand....Simple business/economics.

Front row seats at PJ shows are $75 and reserved for their fan club members. They could get thousands for those seats if they wanted. U2 taking advantage of their loyal fan base by charging maximum possible $ for their seats. Just like the lemmings who continue to pay ridiculous prices for sporting events, U2 fans will pay these prices. It doesn't make the ticket prices right.

Only if I don't have to endure a 3 hour sing-a-long like my last Pearl Jam experience.

Never, never again.

Yeah how dare Pearl Jam do a 3 hour plus show every night and play 35-40 different songs every night and charge $78 for every seat in the house!!

As opposed to 2 hours and the same 22 songs every night except for the occasional one song switch.

I hear that Vedder tends to forget more lyrics during a show within the 'larger' set list selection though. Is this true?

Yup he forgets and/or mangles lyrics on a fairly regular basis.

But then again he needs to know the lyrics for well over 120 songs per tour.

I've seen Springsteen do it as well. But he also needs to know well over 120 songs per tour. Probably why he uses a teleprompter now.

While Bono only needs to learn maybe 50-60 songs.

Yup he forgets and/or mangles lyrics on a fairly regular basis.

But then again he needs to know the lyrics for well over 120 songs per tour.

I've seen Springsteen do it as well. But he also needs to know well over 120 songs per tour. Probably why he uses a teleprompter now.

While Bono only needs to learn maybe 50-60 songs.

Sometimes Vedder really tries with the lyrics, if it's an important song for whatever city they're in. I've only been to one show where he really messed up. He has his lyric notebooks for reference before the song starts... I don't know that Vedder uses a teleprompter, though it wouldn't / shouldn't be a big deal anymore since it seems like most arena acts do it. I think his drinking wine during the PJ shows is what makes him miss a line or two more than anything.

Bono needs to remember like 30-35 songs max.  They play 22 songs and mix up a couple per night and those are always the same as well. over the length of the tour.

PJ puts on a great show.  It is different from U2 but I don't have PJ expectations of U2 since they have been the way they are (playing same setlist every night) since I saw em first in 83.   Tool is the same as U2 playing pretty much the same thing every night too.  Just the way some bands are.

Been  a long time member of both fan clubs -- the only 2 I am.

My answer to this question is no i don't believe PJ would charge these prices if they could. As mentioned above, they don't charge high prices for front row etc.

Nor do they get massively involved with all these VIP tickets where you get some a meal or a laminate etc etc...

It is a simple question of business, and U2 have an absolute right to charge what they want and let people buy or not buy. 

Love both bands - seen them both multiple shows for more than 20 odd Years.  Different shows , different bands. they are both in business to make money, and they both do incredible work outside of their music. 

I am pleased to have had 2 great bands around through the 80's 90's and onwards!!

But no, I HONESTLY think PJ see the World of business in  a different way to U2 and would not charge $300 or £185 for a ticket. 

Whilst I would like to pay less than I have to, there was a time when face value for many gig tickets was so far below market value, that many bands were in effect just handing touts a big profit.

If I was running (financially) a big band like U2 then I am sure I would at least have had the thought that if people are prepared to pay far more than we are charging for tickets, then why NOT charge some more and take that profit for the band/organisation.

In a way I think the pricing for seats on the 360 tour was about right, as touts outside Wembley at least were not interested in buying seats as there was little if no profit to be made on their resale. They were changing hands at pretty much face value.

I am sure there is no perfect answer, but by keeping GA prices relatively low and restricting resale with the credit card entry thing, probably means that more 'genuine' fans can get in without paying hundreds to touts or to resale agencies. It sounds as if the PJ lottery system is even more annoying to many..

Edited by Bungo

Sign in to follow this