Sign in to follow this  
Faye_Kelly

What is it like in the seats?

What is it like in the seats? I've only ever done GA inner circle. I already have two GAs for Glasgow but I still have my presale code, which I am saving for the Dublin shows. I am thinking about using that for Red Zone night 1 and then seeing if I can get seats for night 2 in the onsale, because I've never done Red Zone or seats. But what are seats like? What's the atmosphere like? I'm watching videos and it looks like most people are just sitting down and watching for the first few songs, not really dancing or singing. This seems very different to GA. If I had seats I would only want to be relaxing before the main act...not during it... if I'm among a crowd where everyone is just sitting and watching, I don't know if I'd find that very enjoyable. I know people tend to be into it by the end, but I wouldn't want to waste a second!

So, am I wrong? What are your opinions?

Edited by Faye_Kelly

Things vary in the seats quite a bit.  Definitely more subdued than GA, of course.  But, folks get more animated the closer the seats are.  Also, seats are more "revved-up" in arenas (vs. stadiums), because they're smaller/more people are relatively closer.  But, overall, I'd say that if it's a big deal to you to be able to go nuts pretty much the whole show, why do seats at all?  Myself, I only do them when I've got travel time issues and/or am going with somebody who's not up for GA madness.

I've been in a seat during 360. They were really far but i can assure you, they were shacking because people were jumping, dancing on it! When there is slower songs people tend to sit a little. Overall it was really fun! It's not the same as being in GA, but since it's U2, people are crazy all over the arena! 

I had seats at my first ever U2 show and I absolutely hated it. Never again. I don't mind sitting for other artists, but U2 concerts are a celebration and I don't want to feel left out.

Things vary in the seats quite a bit.  Definitely more subdued than GA, of course.  But, folks get more animated the closer the seats are.  Also, seats are more "revved-up" in arenas (vs. stadiums), because they're smaller/more people are relatively closer.  But, overall, I'd say that if it's a big deal to you to be able to go nuts pretty much the whole show, why do seats at all?  Myself, I only do them when I've got travel time issues and/or am going with somebody who's not up for GA madness.

The two reasons you state are pretty much my reasons. I have family members who wanted to come, and as soon as I mentioned GA queues, they were totally against going at all. They're in their 50s-60s and haven't really done anything like this before. So I was thinking seats might persuade them to try this new experience. I've also always wondered what it's like to have seats and not have to queue or go through the whole thing of working your way in and out to go to the toilet etc. But yeah I probably will be a little bit deflated if the atmosphere isn't right for me. But I'm thinking if I'm doing GA at Glasgow and Red Zone on the first night (if I can secure the latter in the Dublin presale) then maybe one night of a less than perfect experience will be okay? But I suppose I just wanted more information before I make any decisions. I suppose I still have time to think about it since the Dublin dates still aren't finalised.

I've been in a seat during 360. They were really far but i can assure you, they were shacking because people were jumping, dancing on it! When there is slower songs people tend to sit a little. Overall it was really fun! It's not the same as being in GA, but since it's U2, people are crazy all over the arena! 

Your experience sounds really good! I hope that, if I do go for seats, it's just as good. :D

I had seats at my first ever U2 show and I absolutely hated it. Never again. I don't mind sitting for other artists, but U2 concerts are a celebration and I don't want to feel left out.

Yeah that's what I was worried about. It sounds like it can be a mixed bag depending on where you are and what kind of crowd it is. I imagine the atmosphere overall varies from place to place... when I went to the Paris gig in 2010 it was great, but felt like a little bit of a let down since previously I'd only seen them in Dublin. It didn't have the same build up... in Dublin the entire city was engaged in one long U2 party, fans everywhere, I didn't get that experience in Paris at all... once we left the Stade de France it felt like any other normal night.

The last two tribute gigs I've been at also had a lot of sitting, especially UU2's goodbye gig in the Crumlin Road Gaol, Belfast, a couple of months ago... the tribute band were awesome, but EVERYONE sat down except for the last few songs, and that put a real damper on things. Not sure how I'd handle that if it went the same way for the Real Thing...

Edited by Faye_Kelly

My first U2 show was seated in 1987. To be honest I loved it, even without any big screens, but who wouldn't be blown away by their first U2 gig?

Then was GA for all tours until Elevation when I was seated but in arenas it was fine as we were close and had a great view of the stage. And my best memory was looking to either side as Streets started and seeing these banks of people all jumping up and down in unison. No lack of atmosphere there at all.

Next time I did seats was for one of the Vertigo shows in a stadium in Manchester. Awful. Felt totally disconnected from it, like I was watching a recording of the show on a small TV. The band were tiny even though we were close to the stage. So close in fact that the speaker stacks obscured half the rear wall with all the video elements.

Only done GA since then but have had to go for seats this time as I suffered a major spine malfunction over the summer. Just hoping it will be more akin to previous Elevation experience rather than Vertigo.

Hi All,

Definitely agree with most of Andy Scotson's comments. My first two shows were back of the arena on Elevation (ATL leg 1 and Providence leg 3), and I couldn't have been happier. As a 14 year old, I knew that was a good way to start my U2 concert experience. I danced my ass off, and it was especially cool getting to take in the whole light show. It also gave me a reason to join u2.com and work my way up to GAs over the years.

For Vertigo leg 1 in Boston, I was side stage and it was fantastic. Clear view of the whole band, and we got Whose Gonna Ride your Wild Horses!!! Those were definitely the best seats I've had, as I've only done GA since (Vertigo leg 3 Montreal, and 360 - Foxboro 1&2, Montreal 1&2, and Moncton).

Certainly I can only speak from personal experience, but I've never really been disappointed with a u2 show. I agree that GA in stadiums is likely the way to go due to sheer size, but in the arena you can't really go wrong (though I can't speak to the behind stage experience). All that said, I think any first timers you take to a u2 show would be pretty happy with any seating arrangement! I know how thrilled I was some 13 years ago...

In any case, good luck to everyone with their tour arrangements!

Andrew

My first U2 show was seated in 1987. To be honest I loved it, even without any big screens, but who wouldn't be blown away by their first U2 gig?

Then was GA for all tours until Elevation when I was seated but in arenas it was fine as we were close and had a great view of the stage. And my best memory was looking to either side as Streets started and seeing these banks of people all jumping up and down in unison. No lack of atmosphere there at all.

Next time I did seats was for one of the Vertigo shows in a stadium in Manchester. Awful. Felt totally disconnected from it, like I was watching a recording of the show on a small TV. The band were tiny even though we were close to the stage. So close in fact that the speaker stacks obscured half the rear wall with all the video elements.

Only done GA since then but have had to go for seats this time as I suffered a major spine malfunction over the summer. Just hoping it will be more akin to previous Elevation experience rather than Vertigo.

Hi All,

Definitely agree with most of Andy Scotson's comments. My first two shows were back of the arena on Elevation (ATL leg 1 and Providence leg 3), and I couldn't have been happier. As a 14 year old, I knew that was a good way to start my U2 concert experience. I danced my ass off, and it was especially cool getting to take in the whole light show. It also gave me a reason to join u2.com and work my way up to GAs over the years.

For Vertigo leg 1 in Boston, I was side stage and it was fantastic. Clear view of the whole band, and we got Whose Gonna Ride your Wild Horses!!! Those were definitely the best seats I've had, as I've only done GA since (Vertigo leg 3 Montreal, and 360 - Foxboro 1&2, Montreal 1&2, and Moncton).

Certainly I can only speak from personal experience, but I've never really been disappointed with a u2 show. I agree that GA in stadiums is likely the way to go due to sheer size, but in the arena you can't really go wrong (though I can't speak to the behind stage experience). All that said, I think any first timers you take to a u2 show would be pretty happy with any seating arrangement! I know how thrilled I was some 13 years ago...

In any case, good luck to everyone with their tour arrangements!

Andrew

Thanks guys! It sounds like it wouldn't too bad then, being that it'll be in an arena.

My awful experience in seats was at an arena show. They were expensive seats but at the wrong end of the arena, so I felt a million miles away from the action. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if we were closer to the stage.

My awful experience in seats was at an arena show. They were expensive seats but at the wrong end of the arena, so I felt a million miles away from the action. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if we were closer to the stage.

Did the arena have seating all the way around? I'm wondering if it's different if it's a half-arena, like the Glasgow Hydro and the Dublin 3 Arena (the most likely venue). Then again, the half-arenas might be worse, maybe their top tier seating is even further away than it would be in the arenas where the stage is totally enclosed by seating.

It was Earls Court on the Elevation Tour. Dreadful venue. As well as the seats being bad, the sound was so appalling that I literally couldn't tell which song was being played a lot of the time. I'm just praying the O2 won't be like that.

More important than most things will be how close your seats are, IMHO.  There's a correlation between how pumped people get and the distance, for sure.  At least in arenas it's actually possible to get close; in stadiums, even the closest seats are a good ways away.

Edited by mike7man

I cannot GA any more.  This is the first U2 show I will be in seats.  I like rolling in whenever to see the show rather than lining up, etc.  My time is limited and I just would prefer the comfort of my spot, hitting the bathroom when I want, etc.

The thing I hate about the reserved seats is there are always people going in and out to get beer throughout the whole show. It's so annoying when they're constantly asking you to move so they can get by.

I've had GA and reserved seats to an equal amount of shows for U2. It all depends who you're surrounded by. I've had a great experience with my reserved seats. For this tour I've got some reserved seats and then some GA just to keep costs down. I don't need to be super close, and since there were catwalks for previous tours, being as close as possible isn't always the way to go. I also don't want to spend the whole day in a line waiting to get inside. I've also been by people in GA for U2 who were the rudest people I've ever encountered at a concert,

It does help if your seats are away from the aisle, but sometimes you can't help it.

Seats are cool. If your in dubs, you wont be seated much. I moved from GA (Croke park 87, through Zoo, 93, Popmart 97, Slane 01) to seats (Croke park 05, 09) seamlessly. I'm not old. ;) 

The thing I find about seats is that most are up for it....if you get a good little crowd around you.....it's like GA in the air! Like any area of a stadium though, and life in general - you can't choose your neighbours, you might just grow to love or hate each other during the course of a gig.  :) ....in GA you can 'move house'....in seats....well, ya gotta learn to live together.

Thanks for all the posts and responses so far guys. :) It's really helpful to hear everyone's opinions and experiences.

Sign in to follow this