I was just thinking while watching A YouTube video of U2 what songs they might be doing setlist wise what are some songs you would like to hear them play or like how many from this new album will they do I Really hope they do Iris from the new album and trouble. Also they HAVE to do Streets anyways just hope you guys tell me what you think!

I predict that it will be much harder to predict than on previous tours, with the pairs of shows concept meaning that there will almost certainly be two different setlists being used for each pair of shows, and therefore more flexibility for them to include many more songs in total than usual.

I will predict that:-

1. The big hits will not be left out.

2. There will be plenty from SOI and possibly SOE depending on when that appears.

3. There won't be much from NLOTH.

4. Some older songs that featured on 360 (e.g. Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights ) will be rested in favour of other older songs not played for a while.

5. Aung San Suu Kyi will show up at some point.

Edited by Bungo

I'd go along with most of that^^^^. Personally hope Vertigo gets dropped with some other hits like......

Beautiful Day, One, Fly, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Walk On, MW, Pride, COBL...

and instead play well know songs that don't get played as much like......

Running to stand still, One Tree Hill, Discotheque, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, A Sort Of Homecoming, 40 and some that have never been played. I think SOI will get heavily played, hopefully get to hear most of that album, would like some off POP but i doubt that and like Bungo said NLOTH probably won't get played either.

Agree with bungo. but I think nights 1 and 2 will be heavily similar throughout the tour (in the sense that all nights 1 will have same set). expect more surprises to appear between additional nights (3,4)

Agree with bungo. but I think nights 1 and 2 will be heavily similar throughout the tour (in the sense that all nights 1 will have same set). expect more surprises to appear between additional nights (3,4)

I was thinking night 1 different from night 2 then night 3 the same as night 1 and night 4 the same as 2, but with a song or 2 different for a small change.

Right. But nights 1,2 in Montreal will be the same as nights 1,2 in Boston.

But Montreal 1 and Montreal 2 will have nothing to do with each other.

Can't wait to hear more about how these two shows will be different - they surely wont dare to drop the hits? I mean 3/4 of the audience are casual fans  :D

I've seen the band 10 times, and I've yet to hear my favorite song: 40. I'm just dying to hear it live, but I'm not holding my breath as I'm seeing the first two shows in Vancouver. I expect the boys to go with a new show closer from the new album, at least for one of the two shows, instead of tried and true 40. I'm thinking they'll close with Sleep Like A Baby Tonight. But I hope to see them again on the next go round for NA, where maybe, just maybe, I'll finally get to see 40. Then I can die a happy man.

I'd go along with most of that^^^^. Personally hope Vertigo gets dropped with some other hits like......

Running to stand still, One Tree Hill, Discotheque, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, A Sort Of Homecoming, 40 and some that have never been played. I think SOI will get heavily played, hopefully get to hear most of that album, would like some off POP but i doubt that and like Bungo said NLOTH probably won't get played either.

I'd go along with all the above but add to the songs I'd love to hear: I threw a brick, An CatDubh/Into the heart, So Cruel, Red Hill Mining Town, Hawkmoon269.

My prediction is the band will play some of the big hits on Night 1 and the others on Night 2, but say Where the Streets Have No Name will be played both nights.  I can't imagine that ever not part of a setlist.

I expect all of the songs from the new record to be played over the 2 nights.

I'm hoping something from both Zooropa & POP will appear. Say 'Dirty Day' and 'Gone'

I'd go along with all the above but add to the songs I'd love to hear: I threw a brick, An CatDubh/Into the heart, So Cruel, Red Hill Mining Town, Hawkmoon269.

These are all brilliant requests, particularly An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart. "Into the heart... of a child" would go very well with the Innocence theme. I Threw A Brick, not so much, but it's still one of my favorite songs.

Great ideas here. Personally hoping for anything from R & H and Pop; have yet to hear anything from either.

The two night thing gives around 45 odd song slots. Would suggest that some classics will feature on both nights, a fair number from SOI, but the rest will be anyones guess.

I think if they do an "old" night and a "modern" night there will be the usual complaints about not getting the "right" night. To be fair to the fans, if they are doing an old night and a new night, thye really should have said that before tickets went on sale.

Depends on what AV stuff they plan to do, loads of "videos" to accompany songs might hinder the changes.

My bet is they'll do a lot of the classics/more recent popular tunes on both nights.  There's just too many people who will only be seeing one show (not to mention the relatively small number of dates, period) for them not to (the casual fans would be really upset).  That said, we'll certainly be hearing a lot of SOI (like we always do on the 1st leg w/a new album out), again on both nights (at least for now--if/when Songs of Experience comes out, it's a natural to mainly feature SOI on one night and SOE on the other).  Actually, w/SOE not out yet, it's really unclear how the nights will differ (i.e., what the "theme", if any, of such a difference would be).  In any case, they've always changed 3-4 songs on the 2nd night of two back-to-back gigs anyway; maybe that will increase to changing 6-8, something like that.  I'd be shocked if nights 1 & 2 were any more different than that (at least until/when SOE comes out--but even then, I bet we hear a few from each on both nights).

As some folks have pointed out on the "Pearl Jam" thread, U2 has never been big on major setlist changes--there's basically always major (like 80-85% of the songs) overlap from show to show.  On the other hand, they have gone out of their way to suggest that these "pairs" of shows will differ substantially somehow.  Still, though, given the large number of folks who will only be attending one show, I'd be super-surprised if the two nights were REALLY different.

Edited by mike7man

I'd go along with that at well! lol nice picks  ;)

I'm just wondering if they are expecting as many casual fans or whether they feel that, to use a Tapism, their appeal is becoming more selective.

With the relatively small number of shows, GA selling quickly (possibly with a relatively high proportion allocated to presale and presumably mainly to the more 'committed' fans) and with many of the seats carrying fairly hefty prices I suspect the audience will have fewer general concert goers. I'd also factor in that more people than usual might have been persuaded to do multiple shows thanks to the pairing idea.

In which case they might feel they can mix up the set list a bit more, with less reliance on the inevitable Pride, WOWY, Beautiful Day etc... Perhaps spread the greatest hits out across the two shows and leave more space for the new stuff and to revive songs that rarely get played live.

Hopefully.

New songs Defoefo will get played as per on a 1st leg. I would love to hear I trew a brick.... Gloria...... 40 ....... Discotheque.... Gone ...... So cruel .......... Dirty day ... Lemon .... Silver and gold....... Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me....... And the must haves like streets. Peace love or else. G. Whatever they decide I will be happy. Enjoy if you have a tx ....if not....keep trying till you do.

I'm seeing Innocence in San Jose, Experience in New York and the weird unpaired night in London. If there aren't significant differences between I/E I'll be annoyed - though they could be staging differences rather than setlist... that would in some ways be even more interesting. 

I think some of the big hits will be out like 'Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' and 'With Or Without You' and possibly 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'.

Most of  Songs of Innocence will be played. With Arena gigs, they don't have to play to the masses quite as much. I'm sure there will still be a fairly big amount of hits though.

I'm hoping for something off October. Never heard them do anything live from that album.  As someone mentioned previously, I think 'Tommorrow' would work really well. Especially if they are going to have a string section for part of the evening.

I imagine Invisible will show up in the mix, as well.

Seriously hoping they play Invisible in London. Wouldn't be surprised if they did, since it's about their first trip into London...

If there aren't significant differences between I/E I'll be annoyed

Yeah, without major differences all we'll be left with is... an amazing U2 concert?!

Seriously hoping they play Invisible in London. Wouldn't be surprised if they did, since it's about their first trip into London...

First trip into London? They played Wembley on 360 and Twickers on Vertigo.. 

First trip into London? They played Wembley on 360 and Twickers on Vertigo.. 

Peter said the song is ABOUT the band's first trip to London. Not that the band hasn't been to London before...

Sign in to follow this