Sign in to follow this  
parky

Ireland dates / rumours (MERGED)

Maybe it is a dumb question but...

Always trust your first instinct.

Maybe it is a dumb question but...

Always trust your first instinct.

Not a reasonable answer yet, smart man...

Edited by guklein

The main deal w/the Dublin shows is simply that they're in Ireland, U2's home country--so presumably U2 gets pretty psyched about playing there.  Plus, lots of major fans from everywhere else go (or try to!), so altogether the atmosphere is usually pretty intense.  They've played some legendary shows there--like Zoo TV in 1993 (which was broadcast over the radio; you can get a great bootleg of that), the Lovetown shows in 1989 at the Point Depot (again, some great bootlegs of those are available), and the Elevation show that's available on the "U2 Go Home" DVD.  Generally, though, they don't do anything super-remarkable with their setlist, length of show, etc.--even in Dublin.

Any idea when the announcement of the Dublin December 2015 gigs will be?

Erm No. December 2015 was a rumour trotted out way back. Came from many of the loose soundbites that will stem from band quotes of a moment when tours are announced etc etc, or even it they haven't quite said it, broadcasting companies pick stuff up and turn the world into a frenzy for a day or two. Then all is calm again and normal.

I don't think they will happen, if they are going to happen they will be announced inside the next 8 weeks, but I do not think they will happen in 2015.

I do think they will happen in 2016 (summer, outdoor).

But to answer your question, like the rest of the world....I have no idea.

I'm not sure I agree with the fact you've referred to it as a rumour. It was on this website when the tour was announced and as this is the official website of the band that adds to more than just a rumour in my book. The tour dates clearly stated that Dublin gigs were to be announced within days, or a a couple of weeks at the outside, that's why so many (like me) hung onto our pre-sale codes. 

I agree with the rest though, I don't think they will happen this year.. :)

Oh, I only referred to it as rumours, purely because nothing was ever officially announced or released from the bands mgt, it was all 'would like to', 'might', 'there is talk of' etc etc.

Note to U2 - REALLY, your stage will fit into The Odyssey, Belfast and you're overdue! ;)  

The main deal w/the Dublin shows is simply that they're in Ireland, U2's home country--so presumably U2 gets pretty psyched about playing there.  Plus, lots of major fans from everywhere else go (or try to!), so altogether the atmosphere is usually pretty intense.  They've played some legendary shows there--like Zoo TV in 1993 (which was broadcast over the radio; you can get a great bootleg of that), the Lovetown shows in 1989 at the Point Depot (again, some great bootlegs of those are available), and the Elevation show that's available on the "U2 Go Home" DVD.  Generally, though, they don't do anything super-remarkable with their setlist, length of show, etc.--even in Dublin.

Thank you, Mike!

Thank you, Mike!

Glad to help, Gustavo.  I should also mention that apparently one reason for the delay in announcing the current Dublin dates is that the I/E stage won't fit in the O2, otherwise the most obvious venue.  With this in mind, apparently there's some talk in U2's camp that they might play acoustic (!) shows there (presumably this would require less space).  If so, that would certainly be a huge departure--unlike previous Dublin gigs, which have been essentially standard (maybe an extra song or so) otherwise.

I think that the best thing that they can do now to rescue this mess is:

Re-instate all of the unused presale codes

Announce 4 gigs at the Three Arena in December 

Play the gigs fully electric on a traditional stage with no video background

You do know that's far too commonsensical to actually be done don't you?  :blink:

Sounds great though! 

You do know that's far too commonsensical to actually be done don't you?  :blink:

Sounds great though! 

Totally agree. I'm sure gig would work without the "in screen" set up.  They could easily adapt other visual to a smaller back stage video wall.

An announcement next week just before second leg of tour????

Sounds great though! 

Thanks

3arena is available from 21st to 28th november....

Sooooo...not going to happen this year. Will be interesting to see how the early European dates go, and all the media vibe that will ensue, and moreso when they do the UK (England + Scotland only) gigs.

Considering we are now approaching September, no announcement as yet, I suspect, will mean no U2 shows for public sale this autumn/winter/ spring in Ireland. Whether they do something querky with a limited ticket sale thing in Ireland during the cold winter nights, who knows.

I guess the intentions where and possibly still are there. We'll just have to watch this space, or some other space.

I would like them to finish tour as planned. Enjoy Christmas, bring out songs of experience in Feb....and go again ....outdoor/indoor in USA , Apr, May,.....outdoor Europe/ Ire - Jul, Aug, 2016....'rest of world' thereafter perhaps....

Can but dream. 

Edited by yardie

I,VE READ TODAY THAT U2 ARE TO PLAY 3ARENA DUBLIN 24TH NOV -29TH NOV, IF SO CAN ANYONE TELL IF MY PRESALE CODE IS GOOD TO GO FOR THESE DATES?? I DELIBERATLEY KEPY MY CODE FOR THESE GIGS

Lots of rumours in Dublin about upcoming gigs ,the most popular that they will be held in November and announced next week.A thread has been posted before about presale codes for Dublin and I like many have held their codes for Dublin.I am a bit concerned that my code has disappeared from the account info page and the silence from U2.com but I expect this to be rectified as soon as the gigs are announced

There may be trouble ahead.......

Edited by acthung maybe

Looks free on the 21st to the 28th. Possible,,,, only time before xmas with a decent gap for 4 shows.

Sign in to follow this