Sign in to follow this  
Richvondeez

GoPro cameras allowed in concert arena venues?

I'm thinking of purchasing a GoPro. It doesn't take much room, pocket size, plus films in 4k. I'll be going to the LA shows at The Forum. Does anyone know if those little devices are allowed in concert venues? Allowed at the Forum? What's been your experience?

Thanks!

Great minds think alike.  I thought about buying one of those as well. ;) Im sure they should be ok as most point and shoot cameras are fine.  As most people will have phones which are just as good as most cameras!!! and i cant see them banning phones!!

I've got a gopro hero 3.

Great for videos, not so great for photos in low light. They can be tricky to set up too, the menus aren't that friendly, or easy to access

Check the conditions of entry of the venue you're going to - you might be surprised. Most (not all though) will let you take an SLR in these days, provided you don't take a long lens. They're more worried about you accidentally hitting someone with the lens than the photos you take at the show...

Thanks jets ;) .  I have a Canon 70D but i didnt really want to take that in as i could be dancing up a storm and its a bit heavy to carry around for 2 hours at a concert so i thought a gopro would be good but maybe not

I'm thinking of purchasing a GoPro. It doesn't take much room, pocket size, plus films in 4k. I'll be going to the LA shows at The Forum. Does anyone know if those little devices are allowed in concert venues? Allowed at the Forum? What's been your experience?

Thanks!

Great minds think alike. I thought about buying one of those as well. ;) Im sure they should be ok as most point and shoot cameras are fine. As most people will have phones which are just as good as most cameras!!! and i cant see them banning phones!!

Hi Richvondeez & stubby. Did either of you guys end up doing this? I've just purchased a Drift Stealth 2 POV action cam, for snowboarding & work, & am thinking of using it at the concert.

I'll be on the rail, close to the action. I'm thinking of using a very small suction cap mount, & attaching it to my side of the rail, so avoid that shakey footage you see with hand held vids. Set it, & forget it! At 97 grams the Stealth 2 is small & inconspicuous (with LCD off & no lights), hence the name. So hopefully I'll be able to sneak it in, & security won't notice it attached to the rail.

I know it won't be brilliant footage, as POV cameras are certainly not designed with concert video in mind. The Stealth 2 has a 1/2.3" sensor, so will struggle a bit in low light. At least it has exposure compensation so I might be able to limit ghosting from over exposure, & as I said, being attached to those sturdy rails should limit the shakes. I know the sound will be crap. I'm hoping I'd find bootleg audio of the same shows (London & Paris), & editing that sound track into the video.

As I said, set it & forget it. Turn it on, forget about it, & watch the show. No pulling a camera out, playing with settings, shooting, & puting a camera away. Wondering if anyone has tried this, what the results were like, & were there any dramas with security? Don't want to be held up by security at the front of GA.

Edited by ddarroch

No DSLRs this time. 360 was okay because everyone could see the stage and it was hard to keep under wraps.

I took my trusty Nikon D5200 to opening night but didn't use it as Vancouver security were intent on watching the crowds.

GoPro will present the same problem. It's not allowed.

Sign in to follow this