Sign in to follow this  
Ms Innes

GA Line at the Phoenix Shows

I'm flying to Phoenix in May and 'doing' GA for the first time ever.  I'm nearly as old as the boys in the band, but I'm psyched to get up close and personal for the first time in 30 years!

Since I'm a newbie at this, I need GA line-sitting tips...  I have a disposable air pillow to rest my old bones on, and will bring munchies and water.  What else do I need to bring, and need to know, to be well-prepared?  Any and all advice is greatly welcomed!

GA is great fun!  Being in line all day with like minded U2 fans makes the whole day better.  Definitely bring munchies and water.  Wear comfy shoes/clothes/sunscreen, etc.  Bring something to do and interact with those around you....card game, sidewalk chalk, etc.  My friends and I buy cheap camping chairs and just leave them by the stadium when the line starts to move to go in.  We're travelling to Phoenix for this - so, we're hoping to find some at a store down there (they don't make for great carry-on items) :).  

Above all - just have fun and enjoy the experience.  The energy buildup once the line starts to move and you get into the stadium is unlike anything else.  And when the boys come onstage...scream like crazy!  :)  

The Major League Baseball team here, the Arizona Diamondbacks, play next door to the arena where U2 is going to play. Arizona has home games each night. The May 22 game is at 640pm local and the May 23rd game starts at 710pm local.  If people are spending the day in the GA line, it won't be a problem for them, but plan ahead otherwise.  Traffic will be very busy. Use the light rail if possible as there are stops near the arena.

I can't think of a place nearby that sells cheap camping chairs.  There is a CVS Pharmacy about 2 blocks west of the arena.

Hopefully the weather cooperates and it won't be super hot, but it could be up to 110 degrees.

Great points and should be considered when deciding a pre show fan gathering might happen. Good thoughts Pop_Muzik.

I emailed the U.S. Airways arena after the shows were announced to ask about their line-up policies. Here was the response I got:

"Hello,

Guests are permitted to line up across the street the morning of the show and in the afternoon the line will be moved over to our plaza area. We do not have a wristbanding policy for general admission floor seating. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you."

Nothing beats GA, you're going to love it!

How close do you hope to be? How much time do you plan to spend in the line? I usually am in line all day (& occasionally the night before). I would assume you'll need to be in line all day, if you want to be really close, right up front. But this could depend on the weather on the day, if it's blazing hot many people won't want to line up all day. Also much will depend on the stage layout, which nobody knows at this stage. If it's in-the-round, as some presume, there could be many spots which are close with good views. If it's end-of-stage (with a b-stage), it may be harder to get a great spot close to the band (near the main stage). But with this layout a late arrival may still get you a spot quite close to the b-stage.

So after the opening shows in Vancouver I'd recommend studying the stage layout. Determine where you'd like to be, & what number you'll likely have to be in line to get this spot. Also determine how to get to this spot once the gates have opened (you can probably already find out which gate you'll be entering the arena from).

As for the actual day in the GA line, the main advice I'd give is to watch your HYDRATION levels. You want to make sure you're not dehydrated for the show. Conversely, if you're hoping to be right up front of GA, close to the band, you won't be able to leave your spot once you enter the arena. So no bathroom breaks! So you don't want to drink too much throughout the day. It's a balancing act. I usually drink a lot of water the night before, & during the morning of the show, but nothing after about midday. I also take a couple of fruit box drinks & a snack into the arena, to boost energy levels for the second half of the show.

Plenty more pointers, but I'll leave it for Joe to tell you the rest. Joe is pretty hardcore when it comes to GA, & is often one of the first in line. Below is Joe's guide to GA. It's a little bit 360-centric, but I'm sure much of the advice will be relevant to this arena tour.

http://onlineonthehorizon.com/ga-guide/

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Edited by ddarroch

My overdue thanks to everyone for all the information and feedback!  This helps a lot, and I'm getting excited for my first GA/line experience! :)

No need to line up this tour. I walked right up front at 7pm. I went to Vancouver GA both nights.

Chadd Bryant - 

It would seem from what I can see that lining up is a waste of time unless you are trying to be in the front row... .correct?   Is there plenty of room to move around the floor or is everyone packed in?   Ans I got the red zone map today... am I crazy or do the more expensive red zone spots look worse than just strollong in at 7 like you said you did????   Would you suggest trying to grap a spot by the circle stage? 

see attached image for $300-something red zone 

post-393004-0-08428200-1432008950_thumb.png

Edited by dugadams

Yup, no need to line up. I walked in at 6:45 to both SJC shows

Where did you end up coming in to GA at 6:45?

POP_Muzik's comment (#4) is accurate for Phoenix. Unless you take the light rail, you will be competing for parking with the baseball game at the stadium three blocks to the east of US Airways Arena. At 6pm, this eight-block radius is going to get crazy.

Sign in to follow this