Sign in to follow this  
joeyanne

Anyone with GA going it alone?

I was wondering how people cope with it? I've done GA on my own twice before and it was a struggle both times. I don't seem to be able to cope with drinking hardly anything so end up with really bad back pain but I'm always worried I'll lose my place in the line if I leave too often and then there's what to do once you are inside and have your great spot. It's hard enough when you are with someone (Belgium last tour the friend I was with went to the bathroom and when she came back she was blocked,swore at etc for trying, from coming back to our spot, that we had put in a lot of queuing time for, so we ended up in not so good a place) so being alone I'm always worried and try and not need to go anywhere after we're let in.

So any tips? I'm doing the first two nights both ga so it's going to be double the pain but double the fun.

I'm going it alone on nights 1 and 6. My advice would be to arrive at The O2 early, have a massive lunch so your don't need supper (that's what I'm doing) and then join the queue.

Yes, I'll be going alone to nights 3 and 4. I would never leave my spot once inside the venue - I just avoid eating and drinking too much, and if I need the toilet I'll go before the doors open.

I may be going it alone for London 6 (if 2 friends from Italy can't make it). I'll be going alone for Paris 1 & 2.

I've been alone previously, once or twice in Sydney, & for Slane. I also did a road trip for the first US leg of the 360 shows with 3 guys I'd never met in the flesh - only spoken online on interference. Had an absolutely amazing time, & we remain good friends. Have made some great friends over both US legs of the last tour.

I'd recommend trying to be quite sociable with your neighbours in the GA line. I'm normally quite shy, but make an effort in the line. I met a great group of girls in Sydney for Vertigo, recommended they follow me when the gates opened, & had a great time together by one of the b-stages, with great views of the main stage. Bono actually got down on one knee & sang to one of these girls, so she was stoked! Make friends, or at least be known by your neighbours, then you should have no worries leaving the line for toilet breaks etc.

I'd recommend drinking lots of water on the morning of the show (& the previous night), & leaving the line to go to the loo, but drinking nothing in the afternoon. You're right, once you're in the arena you won't want to be leaving your spot, but you don't want to be dehydrated. I take in fruit drinks & energy bars, for the second half of the show.

Edited by ddarroch

I am going alone for two shows for the GA line, and agree with the suggestions that everyone else has made.  Each time I swear that I am never going to do GA again, I do in fact do it again :).  

Edited by angelofharlem4u2

Yeah, I'll be seeing Chicago 3 alone myself.  I've done GA alone many times.  Good advice above.  Definitely get to know some folks around you; hopefully, you'll become part of a group (or at least can find a single partner) to help with the "leave and come back" problem.  Regarding that, my advice is: Once you get your spot (along with whomever, hopefully), leave immediately to go to the bathroom and come back ASAP.  You shouldn't have too much trouble getting back to your spot if you do this--IF you've managed to connect w/a "partner" (or partners) who will vouch for you.  The longer you wait, the harder it is.  I'd in particular suggest NOT trying to do this in the break between the opening act and U2.  If need be, leave before the opening act ends; it'll be easier to get back.  In my experience, it's basically impossible to not go pee at least once; so again, my advice is do so immediately after you snag your initial spot.  It's no guarantee, but it's your best chance of a relatively hassle-free return.  Good luck!  Oh, and leaving the line to pee or whatever is typically no big deal as long as it's before when the organizers start to tighten up the line, etc. (c. 4:00, usually)--but again, you want to know your line-mates at least a little so they can vouch for you.

Edited by mike7man

Thanks for all of the replies and advice. Apologies for not coming back sooner. Lots of drinking in the morning sounds like a good idea. I still haven't decided what time to join the queue. It's usually been around 9am but maybe I'll do that for the first show and then play it by ear for the second (and hope I'm not too tired for that).

I am going alone for two shows for the GA line, and agree with the suggestions that everyone else has made.  Each time I swear that I am never going to do GA again, I do in fact do it again :).  

Me too. The first show I went to I did seating and I felt so detached from the action I just can't do it again even though I'm not getting any younger.

I felt the same way about the seats at my first show, would never want to do that again! GA is hard work but so worth it.

I'll be doing the o2 on Oct 30th on my own,just sip water and have a couple of snacks in line I think!

My intended partner for Seville on 360 was unable to come with me after the concert date got shifted due to a general strike in Spain, but through here I hooked up with some others who were going to the show so had company for the queue. Although it is slightly different for shows abroad as people tend to be in town for a few days so more chance to gather together.

GA this time is not so hard because there are so many spots on the rail available. I was in Vancouver and moved around and there were never more than 4 people in front of me and the stage. I'd also be hugely surprised if you couldn't get someone to save your spot for you both in the line and once you're inside. I've always made friends with other fans and even had a complete stranger save a spot for me down the front at a show on 360 because I couldn't get there before the gates open!! Remember this time around there are only 20,000 people in the arena (instead of the 80,000 people on the 360 tour stadiums). I think there's only about 2,000 on the floor so you will have  a great spot (and a great time) no matter where you end up!!

PS there is no opening act!!! The doors will open about 6pm and the band come on by 8.30

I, too, have done GA alone a few times and have made great friends with the fans around me.  But definitely had to let myself be pretty thirsty for showtime, to get and keep a spot at the rail!

Only 3 months to go - looking forward to it now rather than feeling nervous. I hope to see some zootops in the queue. You guys rock

Looking at the threads about the shows already gone they have a place where people can wait to see the band arrive before soundcheck - will this be the same at the O2?

I went to Boston 3 with a few friends, but will be doing the last 4 NYC shows alone - 3 in GA. I like being able to do what I want, when I want.

Just been to MSG for two nights, one GA and the other seated.

Joined the queue midday and easily got a spot on the rail.

The queue at doors was only around 200-300 easy enough to grab a great spot.

I've messaged the 02 and they said the campus opens at 9am for peoe to start queuing. Will anyone be queuing any earlier?

Yes for the first show. Will see how I feel for the second - might turn up a bit later and stand further back to get a better view of the screen.

I'll probably arrive around midday on night 1 and later on night 6 - night 6 is a Tuesday and I'm a uni student so I'll probably have lectures that day.

Sign in to follow this