Sign in to follow this  
kwaite

NY Times article- SPOILERS

oh my gosh! is Bono going through a BOWIE 'Serious Moonlight' tour look moment??  :blink:

I remember when MetallicA cut their hair when the LOAD album was released, and fans were going on about the hair or lack of.

but MetallicA look good with long or short hair so I didn't give a toss.

I don't think blonde suits Bono, black all the way or his natural brown.

edit: though BOWIE is way cooler.

12cc6f09f490887a710b77c5908859d4.jpg

Edited by BigBunny

So it sounds like the idea that the thug would have the I and E incorporated into the design was on.  Can't wait to see some photos of the setup sounds cool.  An intermission is interesting, sounds like they've ditched the idea of alternating the set lists show to show, like the idea of two half better.  Wonder if this means a longer set list than a normal U2 show!

Yep, Bono lies. I really hope there's still going to be significant differences between the pair of shows. Lots of people will be quite unhappy if there's not much difference, myself included. What's the point of buying tickets to 2 shows, if they're just about the same. Good way to sell tickets tough, well done Bono! I saw 4 360 shows in 2009, back to back, & they all had the EXACT same set list. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again. I'm seeing 4 i+e shows, I was considering a 5th. But that won't be happening if set lists are pretty much static between shows. Although, if the show is split in halves, with half performed at the 'I' & half performed at the 'e', I guess the experience could be quite different if viewing one show near the 'I' & the next near the 'e'.

Not sure if Bono's voice, or more importantly, Larry's back could handle a significantly longer set list.

Guess we don't have long to wait & see.

Edited by ddarroch

Yep, Bono lies. I really hope there's still going to be significant differences between the pair of shows. Lots of people will be quite unhappy if there's not much difference, myself included. What's the point of buying tickets to 2 shows, if they're just about the same. Good way to sell tickets tough, well done Bono! I saw 4 360 shows in 2009, back to back, & they all had the EXACT same set list. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again. I'm seeing 4 i+e shows, I was considering a 5th. But that won't be happening if set lists are pretty much static between shows.

If it's that much of a bother, than you could always choose to go to just one in the future. 

Great to get info on the stage/setlist possibilities! Finally! I agree that changing the format of the 2 night combination is tough to hear as that is how they sold us on the shows originally, but in reality, I never thought it would be  possible to do 2 drastically different shows night 1 to night 2. Too many fans who could only afford one night would be dissapointed and management probably  expressed this to the band after Bono's idea was put out there for the public to hear. Hopefully they will mix up part 2 between night one and night 2. I am also hoping this setup eliminates the supporting act. I would be so happy with 2 sets with a break and no support - don't need it in my opinion. This format seems to be the same type as Gilmore did in 2006 - First half of show was new album in entiretly - second was old stuff. I enjoyed it because I really loved that album "On an Island" - very mellow - then second half was kick ass! This could work the same way. Next the seating- looks like all the seats on either end should be pretty good - tough to understand the ticket pricing/ticket notation differences and where back of stage is exactly - seems more of an "in the round" (rectangle) than front-back stage. And Lastly, i feel bad for Bono and the arm and hand recovery- This is tough to hear. Unfortunately, i can totally relate - I used to play the keyboards - got diagnosed with RA in 2005 - my elbows don't bend much (they look like hockey sticks!) and my fingers are quite crooked as time goes on. I miss the keyboards - My family recently got me a yamaha digital and I can play around - sort of - but its a tough thing to know you physically cant do something you love anymore its frustrating -- My docs are at HSS where Bono got care in NY - Hope they can help him recover completely - Either way he will be so great- we can't wait for next month!

Agree- never thought it would be possible to do two dramatically different shows both from a rehearsal, prep aspect (it is difficult to put together and rehearse two completely different shows in the grand scale that U2 do, particularly with Bono's recovery) and from a "satisfy people" aspect.

Bono said they would *try* to have a completely different feeling from one night to the next and that they would play with innocence and experience. *We* then all made this to be *they will be* vs try and generated these huge ways they would be different. It definitely sounds like they are doing the later and it maybe that there still will be some differences between shows but maybe not as huge as we all made it out to be.

Regardless if your at a show it will be awesome.

Edited by kwaite

Yep, Bono lies. I really hope there's still going to be significant differences between the pair of shows. Lots of people will be quite unhappy if there's not much difference, myself included. What's the point of buying tickets to 2 shows, if they're just about the same. Good way to sell tickets tough, well done Bono! I saw 4 360 shows in 2009, back to back, & they all had the EXACT same set list. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again. I'm seeing 4 i+e shows, I was considering a 5th. But that won't be happening if set lists are pretty much static between shows. Although, if the show is split in halves, with half performed at the 'I' & half performed at the 'e', I guess the experience could be quite different if viewing one show near the 'I' & the next near the 'e'.

Not sure if Bono's voice, or more importantly, Larry's back could handle a significantly longer set list.

Guess we don't have long to wait & see.

False advertising. He said two different shows. People go out and buy tix on the info provided. Then excuses. "People will be disappointed not to hear our hits". They have always changed a couple/few songs. Yeah, I was disappointed not to hear Bad or Ultraviolet; but they had no problem with that. And, I lived and loved them with that. But, I would NOT have bought for so many shows if knowing they were going to be similar shows. I hope for different sets, or I will be selling some tix. Very disappointed!

And, I agree. I do not see Bono or Larry doing longer shows than the previous couple of tours.

Edited by littleguydougie

Really really really glad to read this!!! It was a long time...

I'm sorry to hear about Bono's hand and arm. I really hope his nerves heal after 13 months... I guess he has the best doctors and physios and he will continue working hard to recover. I really wish for him he can fully recover and play his guitar. B)  He has already done really well you see he's ready to tour yet...

Really interesting the whole article. I have been waiting for years to have any news about the new stage! I love that it is part of the narrative of the album etc etc. Who in the world can do that better, other than U2?  It sounds it will be quite amazing and intimate this time. I think I've never been to an "intimate" U2 show. Can't wait! By the way - I wanted to know where is Willie Williams. :P

I loved what Edge said too. And we've new songs on the way!!! So this is about to start!!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I think it's going too far to say that what was said before was "false advertising", that "Bono lies", etc.  They said the shows would be different, sure, but nobody said anything about the shows being COMPLETELY different, setlist-wise (Bono's actual quote was: "We're going to try to have a completely different feeling...").  Myself, I always thought it was obvious that there would be significant overlap from night one to night two--especially regarding some of their core, top hits.  Now, we apparently know that the 1st half will be pretty similar from show to show, but major differences in the 2nd half.  That still adds up to a serious amount of show-to-show setlist change--likely considerably more than they have typically done before.

Edited by mike7man

A quote from the article, 'The initial idea was to work up two entirely different concerts, but U2 worried about leaving out staples or having fans think they'd gotten the second best show'. It sure sounds like they are playing it safe- new songs and big hits. That is great. But, not what I'd hope for or originally intended. If they change many songs per night- awesome. I'll have fun either way.

i can't believe how gullible some of you lot are.

been a massive fan for 32 years now and took bono's comments with a smidgeon of salt at the start of me fandom never mind these days.

we'll be gettin the same old shite with the new songs thrown in call me a curmudgeon but i'm a (bonospeak)realist

I can't believe Bono is actually BLOND at the moment. Wow. But I think I like him better as a brunette. :P

As for the shows, I'm going just the one night, so now I feel I wont miss out on anything.

The staging and sound design sound fantastic.

I'm a little disappointed to read that they've moved away from the concept of two different shows - I really felt that that was how they promoted it, and while I probably was gonna try to go to as many shows as I could anyway (as is usually my deal) and bought tickets to more than one, I really did use the idea of two different shows as a way to justify going to multiples.  I've been getting excited about that concept for months, so to see it abandoned is a little disappointing.  I'm also not a big fan of intermissions, and I hope that they drop that idea.  Speaking as a GA ticket holder, the last thing I'd want after hours waiting in line was for the show to stop.. still can't move.  Pretty much every concert I've ever seen that had an intermission suffered for it momentum-wise.  Ironically, Bruce Springsteen used to do intermissions in the 70s and 80s when he was younger, and now he plays straight through without a break (you'd think it would have been the other way around).

But these are all just initial reactions and random grumblings, and I'm sure they'll get it right.  

And it may have been fantasy to begin with to really think they'd do two different shows with little overlap between them, but that was something I was super excited about.  I've been spoiled for years by being a fan of performers like Springsteen who make a point of changing things from night to night, especially when playing in the same town.  For multiple nights and setlist variations, quite possibly the best band for that is Dave Matthews Band.  Whether you love or hate them, they are aware that a lot of their fans see multiple shows, and I've seen them many times where they played two nights in the same venue, and didn't play the same song twice.  They've got enough hits that they can play some one night, and some the other night, and I figured that's what U2 would do.  Maybe do stuff like "Streets" every night, but stuff like "Beautiful Day" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday" every other night.  U2 has such an impressive catalog of hit songs that they really could play a ton of hits one night and you'd barely notice you were missing half of them.

I'm disappointed too because I bought 1 ticket for each show in Paris, because they said the two shows would be different. This is false advertizing!

Don't think so.  C'mon, guys, the shows will be substantially different (especially in the second half)--clearly more so than in past tours.

Don't think so.  C'mon, guys, the shows will be substantially different (especially in the second half)--clearly more so than in past tours.

The idea of a varying second half sounds good. If it means I get to hear Exit on the first night in London and Gone on the sixth, I'm fine with that!

Bono says in the article that the second set could be 'varying'. The 2001 and 2005 always had varying sets- 2 or 3 songs. That is not 'significant or substantially different' as some are hoping. I do hope you are correct and the two show are a great deal different. But, with throwing out the two different shows promotion and wanting to keep the masses of regular fans happy, I am a bit concerned and disappointed. Hopefully I will be a happy puppy on the 14th and 15th (15th is the big test of song substitutions).

I wonder just how many have bought tickets in pairs to see the different nights. I should imagine it's quite a few (at least from what's been said on here) so there's the potential for a large number of disappointed people on night two. Personally, I'm a little disappointed right now. I've always been a one a tour person so two nights in a row is a new thing for me and the different nights was something I was really excited about but I know when I'm there it won't matter one bit.

Edited by joeyanne

I'm one of those people, who bought sets of tickets for the 2 separate nights. I've actually seeing 4 nights, so 2 pairs, 2 nights in London, & 2 nights in Paris. I'll be a bit disappointed in there's not substantial differences between the 2 nights. I still would have gone to multiple shows, but maybe only 2-3 shows this leg. But Bono lies, we've come to expect it ;) So I'm not too shocked. Plans change, particularly when a band member loses a fight with the pavement. The plans were never set in stone anyway. We just got a bit too excited fter hearing a few offhand comments from Bono (& as I've already said, he lies).

I'm still hoping for quite a few changes in the setlist between the nights (I haven't been reading about setlists & rehearsed songs, I'm just venturing into this thread for the first time, so don't know what's up). Even if there's not that much change in the set, I hope the graphics for the songs change (& maybe the song order). So the 'feel' of the show changes each night.

What I don't want, is to see 4 shows with the same setlist. This is what happened to me in '09, 4 shows with the EXACT same setlist! Fair enough, I guess 2 were considered to be 'rehearsals' for the Rosebowl DVD show. But for Vancouver, the final show of the leg, was not happy!

If there's not much change in the setlist & the 'feel' of the shows, one thing I'd suggest for those in GA with multiple nights, would be to change locations each night. For my 4 shows in '09, I was in RZ for Phoenix, Outer rail of the catwalk for Vegas (plus back row nosebleed seat for the encore), inner circle (back rail) for Rosebowl, & the cherry on top, inner circle (front rail, right under Bono's mic) for Vancouver. The variety in locations made the fact that the sets didn't change more than bearable ;)

This tour, depending on how the stage, locations of RZ & the shows pan out, I think I'll aim for front rail of the I-stage once or twice, rail on the e-stage at the far end of the arena at least once, & also a bit more of a chilled out show, maybe on a rail behind the RZ or something.

But of course, plans must change, as there's a fair bit of luck in the whole GA business.

Edited by ddarroch

I'm going to two nights in London, It didn't come as a huge surprise they dropped the two different nights thing I was never really sure how it would work or how anyone would understand what their paying for depending on what they wanted to hear, it was clear they had dropped the idea when there started to be an odd number of shows in certain venues.

I don't feel too bad about it along as the setlist does alternate significantly but I'm not unrealistic...say they play 25 songs...I'd imagine 10 will be a mix of classics and hits...7-8 from SOI/Invisible/Ordinary Love so I'd say there will be 7-8 alternated each night. (Presuming they also don't play any from SOE).

What I don't want, is to see 4 shows with the same setlist.

I think that's a totally fair request and I feel the same way - I'm getting over my disappointment of there not being two separate shows (I liked the idea that I was maybe going to be seeing two shows twice instead of one show four times), but I'm hoping they're not exactly the same.  That's only ever happened to me with them once, or almost once - I saw the June 17, 2001 show at Madison Square Garden and then the June 21, 2001 show at Continental Airlines Arena in New Jersey, and they both had the same set (well, for the 6/17 show Bono sang a snippet of the Ramones "I Remember You" which he didn't do at the Jersey show, so I guess technically they were different, but not really).  So I'm hoping that doesn't happen again.

But given that they said things very clearly like "we're trying to make each night feel different" and the website advertised "pairs of shows!", it feels like they were advertising in a way to encourage people to see more than one, and that there would be some differences.  So I'm hoping that there will be more variation this tour than in past ones.  Eight shows in New York City within a two week period - hopefully they'll do more than switch two or three songs during that entire run.  Wonder how many people are going to all eight?  Or even to half?

I still think it could have been very easy to do two different ones without it being chaos.  They simply could have advertised them as "U2: The Innocence Show" and "U2: The Experience Show" (or whichever name they came up with) and that would have made it very clear that they weren't the same.  I remember reading a couple interviews when the tour announcement first went up with them talking about being concerned about how to differentiate, but I really think it could have been a lot simpler than they made it seem.

I agree but It's difficult to determine what the Innocence Show or the Experience Show would entail.

Say you were seeing the band for the first time and wanted the best chance of hearing tracks from the Joshua Tree...would it be likely played more on the Innocence night because its their earlier material or Experience because it contains some of their biggest hits.

Or would you expect to hear SOI only on the Innocence night?

My examples probably aren't great and I am on your side as I bought tickets for multiple nights but I do understand the confusion. At the end of the day the vast majority of tickets they sell aren't people on forums who analyse their ideas and tour rumours to get a good idea.

My other half wouldn't have a clue and frankly she still doesn't when I try explain it  :P

Had thought there were two different shows, but actually bought two sets because every time I've gone to a u2 concert, there is that incredibly sad feeling when it's over.  Felt faint over the prices but ... at least this time we're not flying around the country to see them in different cities.  Yet.

Also got a different part of MSG for the second show -- higher up for a vantage point of the whole experience.  Was thinking once we had an idea of the stage design, I might sell one set. Ha. I do not think that is going to happen!  

Sign in to follow this