Sign in to follow this  
jahorro

Update: Joe’s Guide to U2's General Admission

Hi all of you beein on the first concert. I have red and seen all the pictures and videos, and it looks like a stunning show!!! Me and my girlfriend have GA tickets for the last show on the 3rd of November. I just wonder if you folks have any tips for the que/where to stay? I just wonder, where is the best spot to stay? North/south, and where? And how early do we have to meet up for que to get one of the best spots? And is it possible to walk around on the floor, undeer the concert or is it so packed that you have to be staying in one spot the hole concert? I remember when I was in the heart then we had so much space.

Any else tips/information that can be helpful for us?

Preciate it if any answers:-)

Magnus and Silvia from Norway.

I got into the O2 at 8 on Sunday night and myself and my daughter ended up 6 feet from the main stage having spent the afternoon in the pub. 

Last night we got in at the same time.Spent the first half in front of the Edge.Moved to the b stage and then stood in front of Adam for the rest of the gig.

I honestly have no clue why anyone would want to queue for hours but each to their own.

As I've mentioned in the post, I really enjoy the queue because of the community of fans I meet and befriend. Last night in the London 2 GA, I met Ilam from Israel. It was his first I+E concert and I've never seen him before. We were beside each other in the line and chatted for a while. My wife and I will be going to Israel this Christmas and we will connect with Ilam when we're in Tel Aviv. His kindness is immeasurable and the interpersonal trust we developed would not have happened as easily had it not been for the U2 GA - couldn't have happened on the floor during the concert. For this reason, I love the GA queue. To each his or her own -- as you said.

So, what is the best side, the north or the south? As I have red you cant walk over to the other side. And if we get it to the rail, what is the best rail spot, the main stage rail, the catwalk rail or the E stage rail? I have noticed that it is not neccesary to que up early for good spots, but if I want a rail spot, how early do I have to Get in line?

Hi,

So I have just bought GA tickets for London O2 2nd November which are ticketless...

I understand about using the credit/debit card for entry, but they also state on tne email that I should bring valid photo iD...

Without a drivers license all I have is my passport - do I really need it?

Thanks

Philip

Hi,

So I have just bought GA tickets for London O2 2nd November which are ticketless...

I understand about using the credit/debit card for entry, but they also state on tne email that I should bring valid photo iD...

Without a drivers license all I have is my passport - do I really need it?

Thanks

Philip

They didn't check my ID, but I'd say it's good to have it on you just in case.

I'd bring your passport.I'm in the same boat as I'm over from Ireland.They didn't check my id on Sunday or Monday but you can guarantee if you don't bring it they will ask!

Hello All, 

Great guide from Joe but like others I have some specific questions for London. I am hoping those who  have been to the two shows so far at the O2 can share some advice.

I have GA tickets but cannot (for other reasons) queue from the morning. The group I plan to go with are starting to queue from the morning. Whilst I have done that in the past, when I was 20 years younger, I can't do that on the 29th at the O2. I am also respective of those who do queue early and they should, rightly, be able to have access to the better spots. 

I have read a post from someone who turned up late and got near to the rails at the O2. I am hoping other can share stories both of queuing from the morning and whether arriving mid afternoon (3pm) still allows for a good position.

Appreciate your input and apologies if there is another thread with this information. I haven't visited these shores in awhile. Perhaps when U2 last came to town...

A

I was at both gigs so far at the o2 and arrived at the venue at around 7 on both nights. Got great views on both nights.

Well not a great experience queuing in GA for London # 3. I am only writing this so that everyone is aware of what could happen. I thought U2 fans were a friendly community, and by and large we are,  however,  my experience was a little disconcerting and a very small minority of those in the queue on the 29th in London were annoyed at people jumping ahead of them and I was apparently "the people jumping ahead of them".  It led to my group of friends to feel very upset as they felt there was unfair and inconsistent treatment of regulating the queue. Some of the very early fans were crossed off the number list by the self regulating fans (harshly) because they had popped off to the toilet or to get a drink. 

To cut a long story short, my friends arrived early and a got number in the self governing system of writing something on the back of their hand. They informed one of the fans - name begins with "V" but I won't name him personally that they had another fan arriving (me) who could not queue too early due to health reasons.  They also informed the fans near them.. I arrived 2 hours after them with another 50 - 60 people (1.5 rows behind them) and stayed in my spot as I didn't want to jump ahead. After chatting to a few friendly fans near me, my friends pulled me over to them - it's a 7 to 8 hour queue time and to be 1.5 rows behind and not chat to sit with them would be silly. They told me it was fine as they'd cleared it with the people nearby as well as the person giving the numbers. 

Whilst some of you may say I queue jumped - and I did - I thought as a small community for the one person to join his friends wouldn't be too bad. But I fully appreciate that if 4 or 5 of my mates turn up and do that it is unfair. So yes a touchy subject but what would you do? I asked a few of the fans ahead of me if I could join my group and they said yes but off course they cannot speak for everyone.  All is good and 6 to 7 hours goes by.

Around 5pm before the wrist banding  the fans in charge of the self regulating system wasn't happy (not sure if someone had complained of others jumping the queue as well?). I don't know his name and he may be well known here so I will keep this factual. He started his checking near me and after arguing with two people ahead (unsure of reasons)  he got to me and raised a fuss as I didn't have a number. My friends protested it was agreed and I had been with them for the bulk of the day without issue. However, he called security and another group of fans stood around unhappy at it. We had security and a some annoyed fans around our little group of 4. To top it off, another fan (Mr V) comes over and gives me a telling off in public. Thankfully some fans nearby stood up and confirmed that I had been with my group for 7 hours and had not just queue jumped at 5 pm. That would be unacceptable and everyone would have the right to be annoyed..  I remained silent as it was just a spectacle. In the end I told security I will stay with my group and join the queue back where I came (not far behind). More than happy to do that but all this attention and fuss is just upsetting and dampening the excitement of the concert. I had the beanie on and was pulled to the side to wait and re-join the queue at the point where I entered. You may have seen me there... :)

So if you are going to self regulate the queue as a fan - please be polite, show insight and chat to anyone who may have jumped in a considerate manner. Why create a scene and ruin what turned out to be a lovely concern.  Don't penalise one person if you have had (apparently) many compliants of people jumping the queue. Be fair and consistent.

After many years of doing GA and never having a problem letting in the odd one person ahead of me if they are joining their friends ( assuming it is not at the 11th hour) I left the gig with a sour taste in my mouth. 

Sign in to follow this