Sign in to follow this  
jahorro

Update: Joe’s Guide to U2's General Admission

No selfie sticks. Excellent!

I still can't believe these things actually exist!

And a question for Joe, was that you in the yellow T-Shirt on the rail by the main stage at Vancouver 1? :D

The last time the band played the Garden in Boston, they had the numbered wristband system for GA, as outlined above in the policy for San Jose.  

Hello Joe, My name is Michelle. I have GA tickets to the LA show at The Forum on May 31st. I am really excited, but have quite a bit of anxiety. I am always on the floor if I can help it. I am very short & have to get as close as possible or I will not see anything. This time, I am coming into LA a day before. I plan to show up at the venue where I think the band might enter. I plan to hang out there until they come in or out. Since I don't have to line up yet, I can get a sense of what the queue will be like for me the following evening. I have been to a show at the Rose Bowl before & some people were really nice., but others were rude & selfish. I ended up behind a girl that had been pulled onto the stage the night before. I couldn't believe she was at the same spot again. Just my luck! It was the kindness of the people I had been standing in line with that let me move up closer to the stage. I have never met U2 & this is the only show I have tickets for this tour. I feel it's my last chance to meet them. I long to give Bono my poems about the band. I am going to laminate them in a card so I can easily hand it to him. Hopefully he will take it. That is if I see him. What places do you think they will frequent while not playing at the arena? I plan to be out in the city to make sure I don't miss them. You didn't mention if we should purchase U2 items like shirts etc. before or after the show? Reason for this is because if there is a mad rush to the railing, then there is probably no time to buy anything. Do you think because of the length of the stage, that it is more likely I can find a spot at the railing? During the Elevation Tour, I wore my U2 jacket with blinking shamrock lights all over it. I thought for sure I would glow & Bono would see me. Unfortunately, he did not. Is it best to have a plan? I am staying at the Renaissance Hotel. It's a really nice hotel. Is it possible U2 will stay there? Also, what time do you think I would need to start lining up in the GA line for this particular venue? Is it possible to show up around noon & still be next to the railing? I appreciate all your attentiveness to this issue. GA is awesome, but can be very stressful. Also, I have a U2 group on Facebook called All Because of U2. Feel free to join my group if you want. I am also working on writing a U2 fan based book. Thank you 

6AM was #50 in line today which is really #25 because of the split GA.  7AM was maybe 70/35.  I don't think more than 2 dozen people camped.  Right now, zero people are in line because this arena hands out numbered wristbands to hold our spots.  Last night, the last spot on any rail was taken by a guy who wandered in at 6:45 PM and some areas were never more than 2 people deep.  I would have had only 1 or 2 people between me and the main stage had I gone down there and that was from arriving at 3:30 PM (#295).

There will be plenty of time to buy after they enter the venue.  There will be a merch tent set up outside.  Tops are $40 and up.

And a question for Joe, was that you in the yellow T-Shirt on the rail by the main stage at Vancouver 1? :D

Haha. Yes, that was me!

Edited by jahorro

Hello Joe, My name is Michelle. I have GA tickets to the LA show at The Forum on May 31st. I am really excited, but have quite a bit of anxiety. I am always on the floor if I can help it. I am very short & have to get as close as possible or I will not see anything. This time, I am coming into LA a day before. I plan to show up at the venue where I think the band might enter. I plan to hang out there until they come in or out. Since I don't have to line up yet, I can get a sense of what the queue will be like for me the following evening. I have been to a show at the Rose Bowl before & some people were really nice., but others were rude & selfish. I ended up behind a girl that had been pulled onto the stage the night before. I couldn't believe she was at the same spot again. Just my luck! It was the kindness of the people I had been standing in line with that let me move up closer to the stage. I have never met U2 & this is the only show I have tickets for this tour. I feel it's my last chance to meet them. I long to give Bono my poems about the band. I am going to laminate them in a card so I can easily hand it to him. Hopefully he will take it. That is if I see him. What places do you think they will frequent while not playing at the arena? I plan to be out in the city to make sure I don't miss them. You didn't mention if we should purchase U2 items like shirts etc. before or after the show? Reason for this is because if there is a mad rush to the railing, then there is probably no time to buy anything. Do you think because of the length of the stage, that it is more likely I can find a spot at the railing? During the Elevation Tour, I wore my U2 jacket with blinking shamrock lights all over it. I thought for sure I would glow & Bono would see me. Unfortunately, he did not. Is it best to have a plan? I am staying at the Renaissance Hotel. It's a really nice hotel. Is it possible U2 will stay there? Also, what time do you think I would need to start lining up in the GA line for this particular venue? Is it possible to show up around noon & still be next to the railing? I appreciate all your attentiveness to this issue. GA is awesome, but can be very stressful. Also, I have a U2 group on Facebook called All Because of U2. Feel free to join my group if you want. I am also working on writing a U2 fan based book. Thank you

You have many questions I should add to my Guide.

From my Vancouver experience, I found there was lots of rail space. It probably fits over 250 people. Do if you get to the line the day or night before, you'll be in that too 250.

Not sure where U2 will be in LA after or before the show. Hard to say.

If The Forum is anything like Vancouver, there may be a booth set up outside. People bought merchandise the day of the show while the queue was going on. Just inform those around you that you plan to buy something and come on back.

I hope you enjoy the show! It makes me really happy that you have met great people in the GA. That's what it's all about!

Joe, thanks so much for putting together such an outstanding guide!  I read it a couple weeks ago, and learned a lot from it!

I'm wondering if the video wall is visible from any part of GA at all..  Will you please comment on that?

Edited by Ms Innes

It's visible from the majority of GA and all of red zone.  The further you are from the runway, the more you can see.

Hi BigWave and Jahorro- great work here by the way and good to see you all in action again.

One thing worth clarifying is the camera policy.  It says on Joe's Guide that SLRs with less than a 2'' lens will be allowed, and then no SLRs with detachable lenses.  Still got some time to go until Cologne, which will be this years only shows, but typically, I have been planning to take my slr (as before) with a small prime lense (pancake) which is below 2''.  I am sure other are in the same boat.  With mobile phones everywhere (and some have higher pixel counts than my 7d!) I think it would be good to have this clarified.  Its pretty clear we won't bring the 70-200 (although this would be fun).  Obviously its all about the music, but I personally love to take some decent images, so would love to have the 2'' policy around this amazing tour.

Thanks!

Thanks, Joe and zootop Chori for the info on #U2ieTour L.A. Forum GA Policy.

This will be my time 1st attending U2 Concert in GA Section!  I wanna feel that energy that fans in the GA Section generates.

Super excited to meet other U2 Fans in GA...

Are we gonna shake the floors?  YES, WE ARE!

Edited by phanatix

I have been a bit worried about such things as eating and peeing. I'm not one who has had a lot of concert experience, I go way back but haven't been able to get in until recently. I had a real fiasco with the No Line tour when I got the dates mixed up after Bono had his surgery. The friend I went with was VERY upset needless to say, I had GE but wound up with seats which we were lucky to get at Giants Stadium. This time there must be NO errors! Thanks so much, Joe, for all the great info. I'm going to be at MSG, probably going to get there at like 4:00 a.m. just to make it optimal. Not sure what to make of the "no pit" situation but am hoping to get up at least to the catwalk, managed that once for the Zootopia tour and that was even a free experience with 2 extra tickets just handed over to me and someone I was talking to outside AFTER the concert had started. We missed the pipers who kicked off the show - it was St. Pat's Day and special - but wound up quite close to the stage! I'll be posting my experiences ASAP after the concert! Catch you in the queue, haha!

I have been a bit worried about such things as eating and peeing. I'm not one who has had a lot of concert experience, I go way back but haven't been able to get in until recently. I had a real fiasco with the No Line tour when I got the dates mixed up after Bono had his surgery. The friend I went with was VERY upset needless to say, I had GE but wound up with seats which we were lucky to get at Giants Stadium. This time there must be NO errors! Thanks so much, Joe, for all the great info. I'm going to be at MSG, probably going to get there at like 4:00 a.m. just to make it optimal. Not sure what to make of the "no pit" situation but am hoping to get up at least to the catwalk, managed that once for the Zootopia tour and that was even a free experience with 2 extra tickets just handed over to me and someone I was talking to outside AFTER the concert had started. We missed the pipers who kicked off the show - it was St. Pat's Day and special - but wound up quite close to the stage! I'll be posting my experiences ASAP after the concert! Catch you in the queue, haha!

U2LAWoman says: 

Eating and peeing..not sure if this is in Joe's GA policy :lol: and I didn't go back to read. We had time to eat something(we brown bagged it) after we received or wristbands...near 10...we didn't eat until after the meet and greet in the barricaded numbered GA barricade sections. For us..it wasn't until 4 or so..by the time we made it back from the M & G. We finished the rest of what we had left to eat then. So, we felt nourished..but really didn't bring enough water with us..only had a very small can of coke zero with me..and during the concert..I didn't wanna leave even though I kept seeing everyone with beers and I was dying to get something to drink and when the concession guy came around to us with candy and popcorn..I didn't ask if he had water,then. :(  He came around again during the show...and I asked him for water but he didn't have any..so when Bono threw the water I really needed it!! :D

I was so thirsty and sweaty and I had a couple on times where one drunk tall guy invaded our space and I had to tell him to please leave and go back to where he came from :lol:  because we couldn't see. Think he carefully planned where and how he was going to infiltrate our little nice cozy spot..because we were all girls..and short ones at that and I didn't like it because my young niece and another young were near me/ him. He didn't listen of course and stayed... there was an incident that I won't say caused a ruckus and it was during SBS. :mellow: I'll say though..she was fed up with him and had to push him away!!  We were all upset HE did that and then some tall girl moved her way in front of me and that's when I couldn't breathe very well and I was so pissed she wandered over to me..she was drunk too... :( and her hair was all in my face and this is when I started to feel anxiety and claustrophobia taking over me. :mellow:

Restroom breaks were easy before you have to form a line for the credit card scanning..but close to that time is when we decided to catch a restroom break but the forum employee told us they were about to scan our cards. When we made it to the forum tunnel to make our way to the GA floor ...we each ran because we had some time while they were only releasing a certain number of fans each time and it was taking a little time..That's when most of the ladies did seem to catch a restroom break.

One more thing..maybe I need to get it off my chest...I did run into a couple of rude U2 fans. Both, because I had stopped to ask them a question and they sassed back at me..well..if I wanted to be treated like a Mom..I would have just stayed home..!! :D

Once when asking one of the M & G fangirl what line this was for..she wouldn't tell me it was for the M & G and told me and pointed the direction of the GA line..it's over there.....Don't know why she did this..??other than she didn't want us to know what they were there for...or...she thought is was a stupid question...don't understand why she did that..Yes, I did see someone holding a pen..but still...I was irked by her I remember telling another fan..."I hope Bono ignores her when he comes down the line!"  :lol:

Hope my telling adventure does help a bit..because I know about errors and how things can go wrong, not how you planned. Good luck!!

I'll never let any bad experience ruin a U2 show for me, even so..it was a great night and I'll never forget it.  :)

Edited by U2LAWoman

My experience will be a little different, going to MSG where there is no credit card check, only tickets. I'm sure that there will be obvious solutions once we get there, I am bring such food as I can manage. Will be there with 1 friend.

Also, BTW, thanks for haring your experiences! I'm gonna be shooting for us to be at the catwalk, hope that it isn't too much of a zoo, so to speak, haha!

Also, BTW, thanks for haring your experiences! I'm gonna be shooting for us to be at the catwalk, hope that it isn't too much of a zoo, so to speak, haha!

Last night our experience in the GA section on the Northside was much more enjoyable than my Tuesday show. Everyone surrounding was cool and nice. Did get to speak with fans and lean against the red zone rail and sit down while waiting for the show to begin. Only thing is..if you are borderline claustrophobic or have anxiety issues...it might be a challenge. Where we were standing..towards the front it seems to get a bit crunched as the night goes on..and there are some very persistent fans who do everything they can to make their way towards your happy place..there was a tall guy who came next to me..but I talked to him before the show began..he was from Poland and had a 14 flight..sweet guy..who during the show asked the girl standing next to me..if she wanted to get in front of him. I think it helps to get to know the people around you..and the fans standing next to us were perfect and the crowd was so full of energy.

I do see a video of more room and space and fans walking around along the catwalk. Think next time maybe I'm going to put myself somewhere along there..the only thing is you miss all the eye contact and expressions..eye rolls..etc.. :D Since I was on Adams's side, it was surreal to see that Adam smile plenty...I couldn't see Edge so well..I did catch Larry well and did have an open view..I love his grimaces..and he works real hard up there..not that the others don't. :lol: but drummers have to work harder.. ;)  ...and Bono....well...he did look our way and it drove our section crazy each time... :lol:

hi all, i guess my main question is about the fan governed numbering system, prior to the official venue wristbands. I have been told that "they", whoever is most ambitious i guess, is starting an informal line as early as they want. Including the previous evening. Other fans who are fortunate enough to find this informal line location can get a number on thier hand and join the informal line. Then im told that these people are leaving and coming back in the morning? and get to resume thier place in the informal line?

Im not sure which part of this troubles me the most.

The orginator:

I guess anyone who wants to be first in line, can start a list as early as they want? So i can go the day before in the morning and start a line at 9am and then start giving out numbers? I assume this must be directly outside the venue so that other fans can find it and can have equal ability to join the line? What if the venue doesnt allow it that early? whats stopping multiple people from starting lines?

Staying the whole time

I always assumed that any fan-made line prior to the official venue line up was a show of "hardcore brut" by those fans who wanted to see U2 badly enough that they sacraficed time and endured the hardship of waiting in line. Being able to get a number and then leave proves nothing other than you were lucky enough to know the person who started the line when it began. (a friend of yours perhaps) If it was this easy, everyone would do it. And in fact the beginning of the line will continue to start earlier and earlier the previous day. A fan line is a hardcore line, distinguished your testament.

The watchman

who, if anyone is actually staying around to police the list? If that person is staying, then everyone should. and what time is acceptible to come back in the morning?

I've been waiting for concerts for a looooong time. And I dont remember when the policy changed. but theres nothing worse than getting up at 4am and showing up to a line thinking you are #7, and then at 8:45 you realize there was a secret cabal with list and you suddenly become #97.

I think this effort to explain the venue policies and GA rules is fantastic and thanks to those who took the time to do it.

Is there any documentation on how the unofficial fan made line should work too?

If anyone on this forum has been a part of the fan lineup, I'd love to hear how it went and how it was controlled. It might be totally cool, but i havent read anywhere online where the whole process was explained well.

thanks kindly.

hi all, i guess my main question is about the fan governed numbering system, prior to the official venue wristbands. I have been told that "they", whoever is most ambitious i guess, is starting an informal line as early as they want. Including the previous evening. Other fans who are fortunate enough to find this informal line location can get a number on thier hand and join the informal line. Then im told that these people are leaving and coming back in the morning? and get to resume thier place in the informal line?

Im not sure which part of this troubles me the most.

The orginator:

I guess anyone who wants to be first in line, can start a list as early as they want? So i can go the day before in the morning and start a line at 9am and then start giving out numbers? I assume this must be directly outside the venue so that other fans can find it and can have equal ability to join the line? What if the venue doesnt allow it that early? whats stopping multiple people from starting lines?

Staying the whole time

I always assumed that any fan-made line prior to the official venue line up was a show of "hardcore brut" by those fans who wanted to see U2 badly enough that they sacraficed time and endured the hardship of waiting in line. Being able to get a number and then leave proves nothing other than you were lucky enough to know the person who started the line when it began. (a friend of yours perhaps) If it was this easy, everyone would do it. And in fact the beginning of the line will continue to start earlier and earlier the previous day. A fan line is a hardcore line, distinguished your testament.

The watchman

who, if anyone is actually staying around to police the list? If that person is staying, then everyone should. and what time is acceptible to come back in the morning?

I've been waiting for concerts for a looooong time. And I dont remember when the policy changed. but theres nothing worse than getting up at 4am and showing up to a line thinking you are #7, and then at 8:45 you realize there was a secret cabal with list and you suddenly become #97.

I think this effort to explain the venue policies and GA rules is fantastic and thanks to those who took the time to do it.

Is there any documentation on how the unofficial fan made line should work too?

If anyone on this forum has been a part of the fan lineup, I'd love to hear how it went and how it was controlled. It might be totally cool, but i havent read anywhere online where the whole process was explained well.

thanks kindly.

You make all very good and critical points.  The  'informal GA line' and its associated issues that you identified is something of a larger concern for shows in the USA and Canada, but not so much in Australia, Mexico, South America, and Europe (at least in my experiences with GAs in these places).  I don't know why, but perhaps it comes with the changing expectations and norms found with GAs in the States and Canada.

I'm planning to significantly revise the 'GA Guide' (which in itself is an observation of the norms and expectations in GA lines to help those unfamiliar with how it works).  I hope I can help answer some of those questions you've had, having been one to have organized a few 'informal' GA lines myself (Vancouver 1 for the i+e tour; and Las Vegas, Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and (partially for Seattle) for 360).  I should qualify that what I'm writing here are observations for GAs in the States and Canada, and don't reflect the GAs throughout Europe, South America, or Australia.  (I can't specify South Africa or Japan - haven't done GA there yet!)

You're right - there is an 'originator' in that someone has to start the queue.  Usually it's someone who has done GA line management before.  In other cases, it's others who are from the city where the concert is taking place and they want to take the responsibility to run the line.  I know it's been the case in a few places where the pressure became a bit too much, and they passed the responsibility (or perhaps it was abdicated) to others who have done it before.  I can tell you from experience, while being #1 or in the first few to run the line, it can be tremendously exhausting. [i recognize I get little sympathy here ;)] When I was helping run the Vancouver line, I had very little sleep, because of signing people in late hours or early morning.  I think in the last 3 days, I had about 6 hours of sleep... and I was getting married on the weekend!  Luckily the adrenaline helped me get through the concert and subsequent wedding :)

While I take great joy in meeting lots of new people, in the odd case, I've been confronted by 'experienced' GA line people who have wildly different or unrealistic expecations of how a line should be managed, and it becomes a bit much.  In the prvious post above, these have been identified as 'rude' fans.  At any rate, we should remember, this is just a line, and not life-or-death situations. I try to keep some perspective in these confrontations.

Anyway, I digress.  Back to your point about the 'originator', anyone first in line can start it, but should keep in mind they could be confronted by the 'rude' fans who believe they know better and ask lots of questions.  In Vancouver, we started the line outside the venue.  A few hours later, the venue security had a meeting and asked us to organize off the premises - presumably due to liability and litigation issues.  This is becoming more standard in North America where the informal line is taking place just outside the jurisdiction of the venue.  In contrast to places like Dublin or Mexico City, the stadiums let us camp out ON their premises.  Mexico City, for example, we camped for 5 days on the Azteca Stadium grounds, with security looking after us.  I can't ever seeing this happening in the US or Canada.  Anyway, with respect to multiple lines being formed, one of the first questions we asked security was whether or not there were multiple entries.  They said there was just one, and that they would recongize our 'informal' line. It was our way to ensure multiple lines wouldn't form.  They would direct people to our line and say that was where the queue was.  In other venues, there can be multiple lines, but that was because there was several entry points.  When I was in London for the Coldplay shows, the Emirates Stadium had somewhere around 10 to 15 different entries, so there were 10 to 5 different queues.  For 360, le Stade de France in Paris had many queues, and some where let in earlier than others.  Than can be frustrating. Especially with one gate specifically for presale tickets, and they were let in accidently 20 minutes late.  A single GA line seems to be the preferred mode in North America.

In so far as staying the whole time, Elevation and Vertigo were the days when you would stay in line the entire time, except for when you need to get food, use the washroom, or put away things.  This is still the case on other continents, except for the US and Canada.  It seems to be more of the norm where organizers of the queue rotate, so that they take breaks.  I agree with your critique that it is unfair that whoever starts the line, takes off for most of the time, and resumes their place in the queue.

The watchman.  I think because venues are directly telling fans they can't be on the premises that has led to the check-in system of the queue in the US and Canada.  We were told by the City of Vancouver that only a few tents were allowed on the sidewalk and that they preferred the check-in system.  The banning of tent cities, where there are a lot of citizens in Vancouver who are homeless, is a sensitive one.  If they banned tent cities, which the GA queue potentially was becoming, then it was a double standard.  I respected that with my research and work with homeless populations in Edmonton where I live.  So, the check-in system was instituted, where GA organizers (the first handful of people in the line) signed people in as they arrived in the queue and were asked to check-in the morning and evening.  People were then expected to line up for the rest of the day on the day of the concert.  We recieved a few complaints about this system, but most seemed content.

Anyway, these are just some of my experiences with the GA in the US and Canada.  Maybe for worse, it's becoming a case of escalation, where 'experienced GA organizers' are starting the line earlier and earlier.  What used to be the very early morning of the show is turning (where people stayed in line the majority of the time) is becoming now a two day start (where the check-in system and rotation of watchman) is now the norm.  In my GA Guide, I'll alert people to this type of system so they can be prepared as they approach and plan for the GA.

Considering the amount of stress and lack of sleep while organizing the GA, coupled with the fact that the rails along the i+e Tour fits over 200 people, I'm not really tempted to organize the GA.  If myself and Pat, along with the 4 French fans we met in front of Rogers Arena in Vancouver didn't start the line, someone else would have later that morning, I am certain of that.  The means might be a little different but the outcome the same.  I takeway from the GA experience more positives than negatives.  I've meet some amazing people in the GA.  I've been made fun of for my positivity around the 'commraderie' of the GA but I take nothing back.  For the Vancouver 1 GA, running the GA was a good experience overall.  What made it particularly memorable and touching was when just before we were going into the venue, fans presented me with a banner they signed to wish me and my fiance a happy marriage.  I was getting married two days after the show, and I was touched by their well wishes.  These were strangers who became friends because I met with in the GA.  I don't think U2 really understands the long lasting memories or friendships that are bourne out of the GA, but I am eternally grateful for those relationships.  So for all the cynacism and rude people I may encounter in a North American GA, I try to remember that there are some amazing people I met because of it.

If you have any other questions about how these 'informal' GA lines are governed, I'm happy to share as much as I know, and try to provide comparisons on how they are done in other countries too.

Cheers!

Joe

Hi all . I am in aus ,Gold Coast ,I am going to Turin for both shows . First night in stand and 2nd night in GA bit day only send me the ticket for the first night when I am in the stands and day said day don't send the tickets for GA u have to pick up on the day of concert a hour before show . Is this right .? I printed it out too

That's sounds different to me.  It's not credit card entry for Turin?

I want to thank you for all your time you took to help us out.  I've done many Springsteen GA tickets but wasn't  sure how U2 in Boston will work.  I am curious, how many times have you seen U2?  I am embarrassed to say these will be my first two times.  I have tickets to the 3rd and 4th show at TD Boston, the 3rd show is my GA ticket.   I would appreciate any advise you might have for this venue.  I've only been there once to see Barry Gibb a year ago.  

There is nothing to be embarrased about!  I don't subscribe to the view that the amount of times you seem U2 is equivalent to how big a fan one is.  I recognize that there are many different types of fans who express their fandom differently.  I've encountered the bootleg community, appreciate fans who love taking wonderful photos, to families who enjoy bringing their children.  There are others who memorize all the lyrics or put in a great analysis of what they mean.

For Boston, which I've gone to during Vertigo, I wouldn't be surprised if the venue hand out wristbands the morning of the show so you can leave and comeback later in the day.  If I were you, check out the arena 2 or even 3 days before the concert and see if there is a fan line being formed.  Get a number on the back of your hand and ask what their policies are.  Are you allowed to leave or expected to stay?  I imagine it'll be a frequent check-in system, so that once you have your number, you need to check-in with the queue periodically.  After your first show, immediatly go back to the queue and get another number.  They'll probably say to come back at 5AM to queue up, before wristbands are issued around 9AM.

Sign in to follow this