Sign in to follow this  
jahorro

Update: Joe’s Guide to U2's General Admission

Hi BigWave and Jahorro- great work here by the way and good to see you all in action again.

One thing worth clarifying is the camera policy.  It says on Joe's Guide that SLRs with less than a 2'' lens will be allowed, and then no SLRs with detachable lenses.  Still got some time to go until Cologne, which will be this years only shows, but typically, I have been planning to take my slr (as before) with a small prime lense (pancake) which is below 2''.  I am sure other are in the same boat.  With mobile phones everywhere (and some have higher pixel counts than my 7d!) I think it would be good to have this clarified.  Its pretty clear we won't bring the 70-200 (although this would be fun).  Obviously its all about the music, but I personally love to take some decent images, so would love to have the 2'' policy around this amazing tour.

Thanks!

The camera policy will vary from venue to venue.  Best to call ahead and ask.  Even better is to approach security the day before and ask if the lens you have is permissible to avoid being asked to check it in upon entry.

I have been a bit worried about such things as eating and peeing. I'm not one who has had a lot of concert experience, I go way back but haven't been able to get in until recently. I had a real fiasco with the No Line tour when I got the dates mixed up after Bono had his surgery. The friend I went with was VERY upset needless to say, I had GE but wound up with seats which we were lucky to get at Giants Stadium. This time there must be NO errors! Thanks so much, Joe, for all the great info. I'm going to be at MSG, probably going to get there at like 4:00 a.m. just to make it optimal. Not sure what to make of the "no pit" situation but am hoping to get up at least to the catwalk, managed that once for the Zootopia tour and that was even a free experience with 2 extra tickets just handed over to me and someone I was talking to outside AFTER the concert had started. We missed the pipers who kicked off the show - it was St. Pat's Day and special - but wound up quite close to the stage! I'll be posting my experiences ASAP after the concert! Catch you in the queue, haha!

Which NY show(s) are you attending.  I'd recommend coming to the queue the day before to check it out and see what's happening.  Whoever is organizing it may issue numbers and ask you to check in later in the day and morning of the show.  I'll be at the last 4 NY shows.  Maybe see you there!

I'll be at the last 4 in NYC as well Joe - hope to see you there.

I'll be at the last 4 in NYC as well Joe - hope to see you there.

Great!  See you there!

@jaharro

thanks for the great response. Im not terribly worried about this whole situation, since there is plent of GA territory on the floor and im going to 4 shows in boston so im going to have a range of experiences.

And generally im pretty laid back about the waiting in line thing. I just get upset when people take advantage of the rest of us and the system. The idea of running right out of the venue after the show and starting the next moring's line is an example of just how delicate the matter can become.

I dont live close to the city so its a project coming in and parking, etc... waiting in line used to be what separately the hearty from the weak and you EARNED your spot up front.

cheers.

I just get upset when people take advantage of the rest of us and the system. The idea of running right out of the venue after the show and starting the next moring's line is an example of just how delicate the matter can become.

I remember in Providence in 2001, some people left DURING the first night's concert to start the second night's line - how crazy is that, to be in the first two or three rows inside the heart, on the floor, and then walk out in the middle just to be close for the next night's show?  And not like during the last song, but in the middle of the concert.

I just get upset when people take advantage of the rest of us and the system. The idea of running right out of the venue after the show and starting the next moring's line is an example of just how delicate the matter can become.

I remember in Providence in 2001, some people left DURING the first night's concert to start the second night's line - how crazy is that, to be in the first two or three rows inside the heart, on the floor, and then walk out in the middle just to be close for the next night's show?  And not like during the last song, but in the middle of the concert.

Dumbest thing I've read. Whyyyy would you leave half way to line up for tomorrow?????

Dumbest thing I've read. Whyyyy would you leave half way to line up for tomorrow?????

Beats me, I thought they were crazy.

Fortunately, the universe has a sense of humor about these things.  They left the show early to be first in line, but people who didn't have tickets to Night 1 had already started the line, so they didn't even get to be first and missed half a show.  Meanwhile I got in line after the first show ended, didn't miss a note, and ended up in a better spot than those people did.

Perhaps these people's real passion is queuing and they only buy tickets to give them the chance to do this, perhaps there is a thrilling element to leaving a show partway through to see if you can be the first to start the line...everyone needs a hobby :P  

Anyone have tips for the GA in MTL? Heading down from Ottawa for the show's on Tuesday and Wednesday! 

Life has been really busy so I feel as if I am not as prepared as I have been in the past! 

yeah, i've been curious about the availability of tickets among fans in the lines.

Are people exchanging GA tickets and hows that process going?

I have 2 paperless GA tickets to Chicago for Thursday.  They are for my son and his friend.  If I just give him the credit card used for the purchase and my ID will that work for them to get in even if I'm not in line with him?  Ticketmaster doesn't allow transfers on these tickets.  I get why they do this, but it is pretty inconvenient and confusing.  Thanks for any insights.

I have 2 paperless GA tickets to Chicago for Thursday.  They are for my son and his friend.  If I just give him the credit card used for the purchase and my ID will that work for them to get in even if I'm not in line with him?  Ticketmaster doesn't allow transfers on these tickets.  I get why they do this, but it is pretty inconvenient and confusing.  Thanks for any insights.

That should be okay, as it's been done before in other venues and events for ticket less entry.  They haven't been checking ID - I reckon because it takes too long and it's in the venue's interest to get everyone in quickly and safely.

yeah, i've been curious about the availability of tickets among fans in the lines.

Are people exchanging GA tickets and hows that process going?

It doesn't seem to be as easy as in the past when there were 'tickets'.  In Vancouver, people were posting tickets for seats, but not for GA (which were paper-less).  It'll be interesting to see how NY goes since the GA is ticketed.

I had talked with the United Center, too.  They said as long as the person has the card, then that is their "ticket".  No ID needed.

Thanks for the response. 

Sorry if this has been posted, but, where does the band spend most of it's time?  Is it 50% on the main stage?  80%?  

thanks.

I had talked with the United Center, too.  They said as long as the person has the card, then that is their "ticket".  No ID needed.

Thanks for the response. 

Good to have that confirmation!

Sorry if this has been posted, but, where does the band spend most of it's time?  Is it 50% on the main stage?  80%?  

thanks.

I'd say about 40% main stage, 40% e-stage, and 20% catwalk.

i read this. great info. but alas, its just enabling the "first in line people".

if you want to be there two days early. i feel like you should stay in line until the venue hands out wristbands and says you can go until 5pm that night for official line up.

im sorry but check ins every 6 hours isnt very hardcore.

if thats the case, why not start lining up a week before and do a check in once a day.... pointless.

the earlier you get there is based on your fortitude to withstand the wait.. otherwise everyone would do it.

Great article by the way. very informative!!!  I feel bad for the ones who get kicked out of the line when missing the check in. must be an ugly scene!!!

so right now there are people camped out in chicago GA line for a show on the 28th??

seriously? Now in my mind, you can only claim to start a line if you plan on being there the whole time.

I really dont think its fair to proclaim your place in line 3 days early if you think checking back every 6 hours at your descretion constitutes "waiting in line".

Heading to Boston in a few weeks for the for July 10th show. Any info regarding GA line location would be appreciated! I tried to call TD Garden but got no info. Also, info for the meet and greet line would be most welcome. I plan to try for the meet and greet on the 11th.

Can anyone say whether they have allowed someone to swipe their credit card at the entrance and hand the slips over to others?   Found someone who wants to sell me their tickets this way for the 7/2 Chicago show. 

Sign in to follow this