http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0514/701164-u2-tour-too-big-for-dublin/

According to that they are deffo playing the 3arena (the name could change by then), but not the same show as therest of the tour, is that a good thing or a bad thing?,

Could be interesting if attending other venues as well ( fans I mean)

Edited by jadmix

Sounds like you want answers the band hasn't even sorted out yet...

More like what other people on the forum think they might do / play. :rolleyes:

Really feel let down by the band regarding the Dublin gigs. Was in the old Point Depot Dec 31st 1989 and was looking forward to seeing U2 indoors for the first time since then

They knew the size of the 3Arena when the tour was announced last year. If the 3Arena was not suitable they should have said we cannot play Ireland indoors in 2015 but we will be back for outdoor gigs in 2016. I and I'm sure many other Irish fans would have used the pre-sale codes to buy tickets for gigs in Europe. Instead we now have codes that have been taken off us and maybe acoustic gigs at the end of the year, sounds like a load of crap to me

You need to chill out. To answer the post title, there is no guarantee Dublin will get anything yet! 

However, the drums are beating and pointing (sorry) to indoor gigs mid-winter, but hey, that could change. I don't get all this 'let down' by the band nonsense. For goodness sake, it's not like they've announced a gig and decided not to show up.

As for 1989 POINT Depot gigs, I queued into the early hours outside a record store in Belfast for tickets going on sale at midnight  to be told around 2.30 am they were sold out, whose fault was that? Mine, for not getting there earlier to be further up the queue! Left the house on a whim about 11.30pm to drive to Belfast thinking there might not 'be that many in the queue'. Yeah right! :unsure:  :D

Except they did announce gigs, copied from the press release

Tour will see U2 play 19 cities worldwide next year, with pairs of shows in each city. Special shows are being planned for Dublin for the end of next year to benefit the U2-initiated Music Generation project and details will follow once they are finalised.

Except they did announce gigs, copied from the press release

Tour will see U2 play 19 cities worldwide next year, with pairs of shows in each city. Special shows are being planned for Dublin for the end of next year to benefit the U2-initiated Music Generation project and details will follow once they are finalised.

Are you missing the bit at the end? "details will follow once they are finalised."

Since the band as recently as last week said they were trying to figure out what to do... the "details" are still not "finalised." Once they are, you'll know...

Really feel let down by the band regarding the Dublin gigs. Was in the old Point Depot Dec 31st 1989 and was looking forward to seeing U2 indoors for the first time since then

They knew the size of the 3Arena when the tour was announced last year. If the 3Arena was not suitable they should have said we cannot play Ireland indoors in 2015 but we will be back for outdoor gigs in 2016. I and I'm sure many other Irish fans would have used the pre-sale codes to buy tickets for gigs in Europe. Instead we now have codes that have been taken off us and maybe acoustic gigs at the end of the year, sounds like a load of crap to me

Lots of assumption/extrapolation in there.

They have said that they will play Dublin but with a changed production as the current one doesn't fit. How does that necessarily become 'maybe acoustic shows' and 'a load of crap'?

Perhaps you'll get something even better than the rest of the tour? As has been pointed out, we just don't know yet. Patience... 

Lads some of you are being very harsh on gharte here.

I don't think it's unreasonable for those who have held off on using their (priceless!) pre-sale codes to expect SOME kind of reassurance direct from U2.

"Sorry guys, it's taking longer than expected to arrange a concert in Dublin, but rest assured those pre-sale codes will still be valid".

Or better still...

"Sorry guys, it's taking longer than expected to arrange a concert in Dublin, but rest assured those pre-sale codes will still be valid.  If the gigs don't happen until 2016, and if the rest of the subscribers receive NEW pre-sale codes for 2016 dates when they renew their membership, then any unused 2015 codes will be valid in ADDITION to the new 2016 codes, just like what happened on the 360 tour"

Either of the above would satisfy most of the people who are stressing about this.  They could say it on U2.com, or by email.

Personally, I'm lucky enough to have been able to secure tickets to a couple of other cities without presale codes - however I did hold my presale code for Dublin as a result of what was written in the U2.com FAQ and in the original tour press release.  So, I'm actually looking forward to "something different" in Dublin - but I'm a bit annoyed about the lack of clarity on pre-sale codes, especially as it's now getting very late in the year which makes me think that the gigs might be pushed to 2016.  I'll get over this, but I have real sympathy for others who as of now don't have any tickets to the tour and have an unused pre-sale code.

By the way - Bungo - the Edge stated last week:

“There may be acoustic shows. We will play the (3Arena) but we can’t play the present show”.  

I don't think it's unreasonable for those who have held off on using their (priceless!) pre-sale codes to expect SOME kind of reassurance direct from U2.

They already communicated there would be shows and the pre-sale codes would work. If nothing has changed, there is no reason to reassure anyone. if people keep inventing scenarios and conspiracy theories, it isn't the band's job to keep shooting them down.

If I lived in Ireland I'd be a little anxious that details for concerts haven't yet been released.

BUT.... This is Dublin the bands home town. They are hardly going to offer a 2nd rate show for their home town fans.

I would bet anything that they are trying to make these shows the best ever and are a little stuck with practical issues.

If I lived in Ireland I'd be a little anxious that details for concerts haven't yet been released.

I do and I am

Thanks Trampoline. It seems any criticism of The Band is forbidden.

My point is simply there should have been better communication.

Ok, so something different in Dublin at the end of the year, give us dates, tell us our codes can be used, not really a lot to ask

At this stage we have no option but wait as all the Europe gigs are sold out

I agree--the communication has really been bad.  All they'd really need to do is explain the Dublin dates aren't sorted out yet, but reassure people that they WILL be able to use their unused, currently "disappeared" codes (or replacements for them, etc.)--either for the Dublin shows or for the 2016 leg.  Actually, the mods a while back (before the disappearance thing) did make these assurances, but it'd be nice to have something official, and specifically to reassure folks about the "gone" codes.  Not even remotely too much to ask.  Simply indefensible that this hasn't been done.

Thanks Trampoline. It seems any criticism of The Band is forbidden.

My point is simply there should have been better communication.

Ok, so something different in Dublin at the end of the year, give us dates, tell us our codes can be used, not really a lot to ask

At this stage we have no option but wait as all the Europe gigs are sold out

On May 14, aka four days ago, The Edge said, "We’re definitely going to be doing Dublin. We just haven’t figured out how.”

So, how can they better communicate what they don't know? To date, they pretty much said the venue, that it would "at Christmas," and that codes would work.

On May 14, aka four days ago, The Edge said, "We’re definitely going to be doing Dublin. We just haven’t figured out how.”

So, how can they better communicate what they don't know? To date, they pretty much said the venue, that it would "at Christmas," and that codes would work.

Well first of all, they said that to a journalist - they could better communicate it by posting it on their website for all to see.

Yes, what you say is factually correct, but given the short timeframe to the end of the year, and the other bookings in the 3Arena this December, a lot of people are having doubts about the targetted timeframe.

I personally think the shows will be pushed to 2016 - I have no evidence for this, it's just a feeling.  Surely the gigs would be announced by now if they were going ahead in December?

There are strong rumours of the tour moving "outdoors" like Vertigo and ZooTV did - as per yesterday's Rolling Stone article, which doesn't quite quote the band on this but implies that this is what the band told the author.  If this rumour turns out to be true, then you have to think that the "easiest" solution for U2 would be to just bring the outdoor show to Ireland at a later date - given the lack of a suitable indoor venue.  There is precedent for this of course with the fantastic outdoor Slane shows on the Elevation tour.  Since that the band HAS named the 3Arena as the intended venue though, I'm still hopeful that we will get both indoor and outdoor gigs in Ireland, on two separate legs of the tour.

If the shows ARE pushed to 2016, again I can understand people being annoyed at the lack of info because by then it's likely that most will have re-subscribed to U2.com.  By past experience, re-subscribing will likely give them a new pre-sale code available for use on the next leg of the tour - in addition to the unused current presale code (which has disappeared but we hope will re-appear!).

That is okay for the likes of me who plans on hitting more than one show, but not everybody can or wants to do that.  So, if people had known about this earlier then they could have used the current pre-sale code for some of the 2015 shows.  Also, many people may wish to see the spectacle of the "full" I+E tour show in addition to or instead of whatever alternative format the band ends up arranging for Ireland - so it would have been good to have concrete details when the other European shows were going onsale.

Jeffwalsh, it's all very well for you to say "it's not the band's job to shoot down conspiracy theories" (as you call them), but it is in the band's interest for their customers to be satisfied and to have a good idea of what is happening so that they can plan accordingly. This is not a lot to ask and a simple reassurance would not be a difficult thing to provide.

Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to "different" shows in Ireland.

Surely the gigs would be announced by now if they were going ahead in December?

If they are already on tour, there's no real reason to think that no dates locked down 7 months in advance is an issue, since the shows will sell out in a few hours anyway...

it's all very well for you to say "it's not the band's job to shoot down conspiracy theories" (as you call them), but it is in the band's interest for their customers to be satisfied and to have a good idea of what is happening so that they can plan accordingly. This is not a lot to ask and a simple reassurance would not be a difficult thing to providied and to have a good idea of what is happening so that they can plan accordingly. This is not a lot to ask and a simple reassurance would not be a difficult thing to provide.

You assume they are withholding known information, though, rather than still trying to sort it out. If end of the year shows in Dublin where your code will still work is still the plan, then there is nothing for them to address, as nothing has changed. When asked in interviews, they have been forthcoming that they are still trying to figure out what to do and how to make it special... every mention of it has been that it is happening up until last week, but that there are issues with the size of the venue vs. the size of the show this tour. No one has said anything that can be interpreted as wavering from doing the shows, just what the shows might end up being...

There are strong rumours of the tour moving "outdoors" like Vertigo and ZooTV did.......

I'd prefer that for Dublin to be honest. Summer 2016 would make more sense. I'm sure the dynamic of the screen/stage set up for the indoor shows could be modified for outdoors by either a larger screen  coming from the stage as is now but positioned more central in an outdoor stadium, or by having it along the backline such as the Popmart type format.

Lets face it, they played to almost a quarter of a million fans in 2009 over the 3 nights - if they were to go with indoors mid winter, there would just be a lot of disappointed fans. Not just from Ireland either. They could still sell out Croke Park (or similar venue) for 3 nights in Ireland - that's a lot of indoor gigs! 3 week residency in Dubs anyone?

Like you say, whatever happens.

This x infinity.

Well first of all, they said that to a journalist - they could better communicate it by posting it on their website for all to see.

Yes, what you say is factually correct, but given the short timeframe to the end of the year, and the other bookings in the 3Arena this December, a lot of people are having doubts about the targetted timeframe.

I personally think the shows will be pushed to 2016 - I have no evidence for this, it's just a feeling.  Surely the gigs would be announced by now if they were going ahead in December?

There are strong rumours of the tour moving "outdoors" like Vertigo and ZooTV did - as per yesterday's Rolling Stone article, which doesn't quite quote the band on this but implies that this is what the band told the author.  If this rumour turns out to be true, then you have to think that the "easiest" solution for U2 would be to just bring the outdoor show to Ireland at a later date - given the lack of a suitable indoor venue.  There is precedent for this of course with the fantastic outdoor Slane shows on the Elevation tour.  Since that the band HAS named the 3Arena as the intended venue though, I'm still hopeful that we will get both indoor and outdoor gigs in Ireland, on two separate legs of the tour.

If the shows ARE pushed to 2016, again I can understand people being annoyed at the lack of info because by then it's likely that most will have re-subscribed to U2.com.  By past experience, re-subscribing will likely give them a new pre-sale code available for use on the next leg of the tour - in addition to the unused current presale code (which has disappeared but we hope will re-appear!).

That is okay for the likes of me who plans on hitting more than one show, but not everybody can or wants to do that.  So, if people had known about this earlier then they could have used the current pre-sale code for some of the 2015 shows.  Also, many people may wish to see the spectacle of the "full" I+E tour show in addition to or instead of whatever alternative format the band ends up arranging for Ireland - so it would have been good to have concrete details when the other European shows were going onsale.

Jeffwalsh, it's all very well for you to say "it's not the band's job to shoot down conspiracy theories" (as you call them), but it is in the band's interest for their customers to be satisfied and to have a good idea of what is happening so that they can plan accordingly. This is not a lot to ask and a simple reassurance would not be a difficult thing to provide.

Again I fully agree. As someone who bought a subscription so my son could come to the gigs too what has happened is infuriating yet the likes of Jeff Walsh (and others) insist on defending the band. Defend what exactly? The communication could - and should - have been better. Telling followers to expect something then changing the makeup up or timing of that is a sure fire way to p*ss of people who, like me have missed out on other shows to keep their resale codes. I'm now in the position of trying to get tickets for other shows and having to pay over the odds for them - that's not a good place to be. 

I agree. The communication as to the removal of paid members pre-sale codes should have been pre notified on this site to it's paid mambers. That for me is my only issue on this, and I guess those that control on here get that, read that, and will maybe take the feedback.

I would never personally pre-empt  anything however, until official release dates with regards to Dublin. I think pre sale codes will be re installed if and when Dublin dates are announced.

If they are not - then there will be something to complain about.

I agree. The communication as to the removal of paid members pre-sale codes should have been pre notified on this site to it's paid mambers. That for me is my only issue on this, and I guess those that control on here get that, read that, and will maybe take the feedback.

I would never personally pre-empt  anything however, until official release dates with regards to Dublin. I think pre sale codes will be re installed if and when Dublin dates are announced.

If they are not - then there will be something to complain about.

I agree with that but would also add that I'm a bit peeved that the Dublin shows I - and others - are waiting for will not be the same your experience as the band are doing now. I'm sure the band didn't perhaps know, and hindsight is a wonderful thing, but had I known that from the off I would probably now be in possession of my second choice tickets! It's frustrating. 

I'm sure the band didn't perhaps know

Didn't know what? the size of the point depot/o2 arena/3 arena/ whatever its going to be called next arena? Of course they knew, Dublin is getting the raw end of the stick.

Edited by jadmix

I'm sure the band didn't perhaps know

Didn't know what? the size of the point depot/o2 arena/3 arena/ whatever its going to be called next arena? Of course they knew, Dublin is getting the raw end of the stick.

Perhaps they didn't know the dimensions, I don't know - you could be right. I'd love to see them in Dublin but after the appalling sound (where we were) at Wembley last time out I'm a little reticent about seeing them outdoors again; unless it was a well tried and tested venue. Was looking forward to seeing this tour indoors. I wish they'd said nothing about Dublin - I would have Turin or Amsterdam tickets by now! 

Edited by markrice

Sign in to follow this