Sign in to follow this  
vtech

WOW, What a promising setlist

Acrobat, Bad, The Crystal Ballroom, Until the End of the World, bringing back Bullet and ending with EXIT!!!.......Not a bad start!..Can't wait to see how it changes up for the next show.....Starting to get amped for Montreal. 

Jeezus, what a bummer.  I was incorrectly glancing at a Twitter followers "dream setlist"...Last nights reality was only average...Sucks...I was really impressed and had thought they were going to get expansive this tour and not do greatest hits.   

Edited by vtech

agree- looks pretty standard but it was only night one- So glad they play Iris- actually my favorite from the new record- Im glad I have 3 nites in NY- should get mixed setlists with 8 shows- now to stay away from the spoilers for the next 2 months - going to be hard!

I was watching setlist.fm as the concert went on, and some random person kept adding nonsense to it, so that made for an interesting night... that said, I did like the idea of Trent Reznor as a surprise guest for Zoo Station, although it got edited back out shortly thereafter. ;-)

No real surprises/rarities (except Sweetest Thing) in night one--it'll be very interesting indeed to see what happens tonight!

Granted its night one, and I'm sure it was a good show however, I wouldn't have any problem retiring a handful of songs on certain nights.  I sorta envisioned them going more out on a limb this tour for the die-hards who have seen a lot of shows in the past 30yrs.  Instead, it looks real safe.  I'm all for retiring a handful of songs such as One, With or Without you, Pride, etc on at least half the nights and replace them with "rarities" or at least rarely ever played tunes from their catalogue.  Edge stated they rehearsed over 60 songs for the Tour, but I also remember hearing that for 360'.  We'll see tonight and over the first few weeks if this tour will be different or not.  Either way, u2 shows & Tours are like pizza, its never bad, just some better than others. 

I thought the set list was disappointing, especially if you've been going to the shows over the past few tours. Pretty much the same except for the songs from the new album. I was hoping for some stuff they haven't played in a while. The only really early stuff they tend to play are tunes like Out of Control and I Will Follow (and of course Sunday Bloody Sunday). They've been playing the same "old stuff" since the Pop Mart tour. I wish they'd play some deep cuts. How cool would it be to hear In God's Country or Exit? Or Love is Blindness? Or A Sort of Homecoming? Electric Co? Two Hearts Beat as One?

Cantinadetim

Totally hear ya.  Out of control and I Will follow have been done the last 4 tours as "oldies".  The theme for the last 6 months leading up to this tour left the impression that they would play some "old", "rare", "deep cuts" what-ever, for die-hards.  Hell, even dedicate one of the nights to it, when  the whole show "pairing" this was going on...  Exit, Wire, Sort Of Homecoming, 11'oclock Tick Tock, , Gloria, Surrender, Fire, Twilight are all easily interjectible into a 2015 set list and haven't been beaten to death the last 2 decades.  I would consider these safe for the times and would still be refreshing.  Tomorrow would be an awesome pairing or substitute for Iris on certain nights in the spirit of Bono's mother...Anyways, so many possibilities, but I fear if it doesn't happen this tour, I don't think it ever will and they'll continue t o play it safe.  

On the other hand, given that concerts are becoming more expensive, there are fewer and fewer who can attend a show on each tour. Maybe the band is trying to make sure their old standards are included so people aren't disappointed. Now, I'd love to hear In God's Country, though.

Oh well, no set pist is perfect for everyone. Just glad to be seeing them this year in Chicago.

Nice to see the mixed it up slightly night 2. I'd still like to see them dust of some rarely played tunes!

They really better mix it up a bit tonight in SA for night 2.  Last night was completely standard and merely the same as the opener of the Tour.  After tonight, we'll know if this leg, or even tour, will be any different from all others I've seen, whereas, its your 21-24 tunes, with about a rotating 10 changing the nights up by a few tunes...Here's hoping

The masses want to hear the songs they know. The average fan in the stadium do not know the new songs or the "deep cuts", and it makes for a disconnected audience. It will have to be done in away to please the majority and to keep the energy up for a great show. Give them a chance to get going.

Sign in to follow this