Sign in to follow this  
ulla_j

Red Zone experiences?

I am taking my 16yr old daughter on Monday night to see U2 for first time.  MY  first show ever was Joshua Tree in Silver Stadium (GA) where Bono (arm in a sling), asked me to play his guitar on People get Ready (I had to decline).  I did not know how then but now i can play any song he wants...... 

A few questions.

1) What is the latest I can get to MSG GA line and still get decent position in GA (I'm 6' and doughter 5'10" so not bad height)

2) If I got RZ ticket would I be near guaranteed spot near B stage?

3) For GA, where is best place to be to get full experience and to see the visuals

4) Same with RZ... If I bought these tix on TM and got there at say 5:30-6:00PM, would I get good position?

I am taking my 16yr old daughter on Monday night to see U2 for first time.  MY  first show ever was Joshua Tree in Silver Stadium (GA) where Bono (arm in a sling), asked me to play his guitar on People get Ready (I had to decline).  I did not know how then but now i can play any song he wants...... 

A few questions.

1) What is the latest I can get to MSG GA line and still get decent position in GA (I'm 6' and doughter 5'10" so not bad height)

3) For GA, where is best place to be to get full experience and to see the visuals

4) Same with RZ... If I bought these tix on TM and got there at say 5:30-6:00PM, would I get good position?

If you want to be on ANY of the rails you will miss out on the visual experience and I have to tell you,,, you do not want to miss out on that! I have never seen anything quite like it before and its so impressive!

#1- people are lining up 24 hours in advance of the shows for the GA line

#2- there is no gurantee

#3- again, once you walk into the arena you will see where the best spot to stand in GA will be...

#4- hard to say- but there are certainly a lot less red zoners in line than GA peeps -

Considering you havnt been to U2 since 87' you are in for a treat! and so is your daughter!

A few questions.

If you want to be on ANY of the rails you will miss out on the visual experience and I have to tell you,,, you do not want to miss out on that! I have never seen anything quite like it before and its so impressive!

#1- people are lining up 24 hours in advance of the shows for the GA line

#2- there is no gurantee

#3- again, once you walk into the arena you will see where the best spot to stand in GA will be...

#4- hard to say- but there are certainly a lot less red zoners in line than GA peeps -

Considering you havnt been to U2 since 87' you are in for a treat! and so is your daughter!

ha, no I have seen every tour (except 360) since Joshua Tree.....

I did the Red Zone on Sunday night at MSG - had south side tickets originally purchased through ticketmaster. I got to the Garden at 5:15pm (check in time was 5:30) and was only about 20th in line. Once they split the line into north side and south side lines, I was only about 10. When they let us in at 6:30, all of the people in front of me took rail spots by the e-stage and the regular GA front, so I was only the second or third person into my red zone section - so I was front row just to the left of Edge. Pretty awesome view of everything at the front and the screens - couldn't see the e-stage as much.

I'm really satisfied - to show up that late in the day and wind up in the front row is pretty amazing. The Red Zone section was never too crowded, and even being in the front row it was easy to leave the spot, use the bathroom and buy a bottle of water and still get back before the show started.

It looked like the regular GA area didn't fill up too quickly either - I bet people showing up at 6 for regular GA still got great spots.

The band really utilized all the different stages so no one location had a monopoly on the best view. They spend about the first five and last five songs on the main stage, and then the middle songs on the catwalk and the e-stage. You really can't go wrong with either, it's more about which part of the show and which songs you want to be closest for.

I did the Red Zone on Sunday night at MSG - had south side tickets originally purchased through ticketmaster. I got to the Garden at 5:15pm (check in time was 5:30) and was only about 20th in line. Once they split the line into north side and south side lines, I was only about 10. When they let us in at 6:30, all of the people in front of me took rail spots by the e-stage and the regular GA front, so I was only the second or third person into my red zone section - so I was front row just to the left of Edge. Pretty awesome view of everything at the front and the screens - couldn't see the e-stage as much.

I'm really satisfied - to show up that late in the day and wind up in the front row is pretty amazing. The Red Zone section was never too crowded, and even being in the front row it was easy to leave the spot, use the bathroom and buy a bottle of water and still get back before the show started.

It looked like the regular GA area didn't fill up too quickly either - I bet people showing up at 6 for regular GA still got great spots.

The band really utilized all the different stages so no one location had a monopoly on the best view. They spend about the first five and last five songs on the main stage, and then the middle songs on the catwalk and the e-stage. You really can't go wrong with either, it's more about which part of the show and which songs you want to be closest for.

Thanks for the info! I am curious was there a bar in the Red Zone? I thought there was supposed to be but I haven't seen anybody here mention it.

There was a small refreshment stand inside the Red Zone - I know they had beer and wine, soda and water, but I'm not sure if they had cocktails too.

There was a small refreshment stand inside the Red Zone - I know they had beer and wine, soda and water, but I'm not sure if they had cocktails too.

Oh great! Beer and wine is all I need. :)

I bought my (resale) RZ tickets through TM so I had them handy right on the TM App.

I showed up Monday night at about 5PM and found the Red Zone entrance which is very clearly marked.  There were about 20 people there.

Some woman came up and drew a #21 on my hand for whatever reason......

During the wait, i signed One petition and was ready to stake out an E Stage spot with my awesome sign. 

At 5:30, Emma came out and gave us the run down (no signs....).  She said they would be letting GA start going in first and then let RZ folks in at some point after.  She was clear RZ did not pay for first access, only the perks of RZ

So here is how it went.

1) 5:30 (Emma explanation)

2) Entrance past security dudes for bag check

3) Ticket scan with entrance dudes (before up the stairs). 

This may be important to some.  I just had the TM app installed and the two RZ tix were right on my phone.  The guy gave me a receipt of the scan.

4) head upstairs to new line and a table with two women issuing wristbands , raffle tix ,and the special ticket.

I was still lined up still as #21 here.  I went to the table and the woman checked my ID.  I was not on "the list" because I bought resale.  She just jotted down my name, put on my wristbands, gave me my lottery ticket and gave me my special commemorative ticket.

5) The line was a little bit of a bottleneck and we then walked down the hall to a nice waiting area near the floor.  it's basically the entrance in the rear by the E-stage.  We are able to use the bar/concessions/restroom.  Since I was RZ2 (Edge), I lost most of the people ahead of me since they seemed to be Adam side.  it's basically 5:45 ish at this point.

I was in line (with my daughter) and there were about 8-10 folks ahead of me including the woman who marked my hand).

6) At about 6:30 we saw the GA folks coming in.  It was pretty funny.  they were coming in almost one at a time and the guy heading our line was telling them not to run.  My guess is 20-30 people went by and I assume they also had a similar number on the other side.

7) After those 25 ish folks ran by, they allowed us to start going in.  I basically walked onto an empty floor.  I walked to E-stage and still could have been on the South Side (rail) if I wanted but I just walked up the catwalk towards the front.

I was about 6-7 people away from stage on the catwalk which was perfect because that's about the point Bono walks out to on the main stage.  View was incredible and I am tall so I easily saw the action on E-stage.

In 1987, Bono asked me to play guitar and I could not.  I made an excellent, emotional sign (lol) that I swear would have gotten me chosen to play guitar.  I had Desire, Angel and God's Country down cold and had planned on doing the E-stage.  Once they confiscated my sign, I decided to catch the show from the front and I am so glad I did (I was a little jealous when the kid from Chile got to play on angel but I guess I had my chance AND as a bonus was inspired to play guitar for real when not being able to play back then.

Bono was within arms reach of us belting out Two hearts and choosing the experience of the front catwalk was by far the right choice for me personally.  This is my only show of the tour and it exceeded expectations.  I also got to stand near some super cool U2 fans including Jason Brice (big U2Gigs.com shooter) and his daughter.  My 16 year old was with me so it was a fantastic experience bonding with another Father/Daughter U2 pair.

Getting to MSG at 5:00 and being that close made the price of the RZ ticket worth every penny.  I just don't have the stamina to wait all day and hate dealing with the "fan police" who run the GA lines and make you "sign in" the second the show ends THE NIGHT BEFORE.  They are also pretty lucky they did not have to deal with me (LOL).

The day of the show, there were RZ2 tix for $525 each which was a great price IMHO considering the ease of entry and my spot During the show.

Before the show, I was able to walk in/out of the Red Zone bar to get beer/water (There was no food).  There is also no private restroom but the restroom is close to the door by E Stage.

I checked out the Red Zone and it was basically empty (6:45) with a group of people near the front rail but only one row deep.  I basically could have been the next person on the side rail which would have had the same basic position.  My height insured I had a clear view of stage.  So if you just want to chill and watch the show then it's a fine place to be and you have tons of elbow room.

When I made my sign, I had a 16" picture of Bono I took in 1987 on there.  For some reason I made two and I brought one in.....  Just out of excitement I held it up a bit during the show but seeing myself doing it on video makes me look like a dork LOL.

I tried to absorb the show and NOT film it with my iphone.  I tried to take a few little pix/snippets to remember but I'm going to rely on the fact that Jason was standing right next to me with a pro set up and took 1000 shots.  His daughter filmed Two hearts in it's entirety.

In this YouTube Video., i am the bald dude right in front of Bono starting at 2:06 so you can see my spot.

1) I seem to be the only one not filming

2) I kept holding up the stupid picture

3) Even I reached for my phone to grab a pic when his back was turned (shame!!)

Hope that helps anyone out trying to suss out RZ plan for the remaining nights.,

Edited by opdev

Thanks a lot for the detailed info! Glad you had such a great time. What time do you think we need to get there if we want to be on the main stage rail (I have RZ tickets but I don't want to stay in RZ, I would like to have a rail position on the main stage)? Did you find a lot of people from GA and/or RZ go to those spots right away? Or did they mostly go to e-stage? Thanks!

Thanks a lot for the detailed info! Glad you had such a great time. What time do you think we need to get there if we want to be on the main stage rail (I have RZ tickets but I don't want to stay in RZ, I would like to have a rail position on the main stage)? Did you find a lot of people from GA and/or RZ go to those spots right away? Or did they mostly go to e-stage? Thanks!

I think enough GA folks get in that it may be hard to get on the front rail in front of stage.

I got there at 5PM.  The couple RIGHT next to me (closer to stage) got there at 1PM.  So for 4 extra hours ,  they were 2 feet better than me.  However, they did meet Bono at 2PM so ....

E Stage and front row is where everyone goes first (probably 50/50).  Most RZ folks seemed to go to GA area and not RZ.

So RZ is not about what time you get there but how many GA's get in before you.

Edited by opdev

I think enough GA folks get in that it may be hard to get on the front rail in front of stage.

I got there at 5PM.  The couple RIGHT next to me (closer to stage) got there at 1PM.  So for 4 extra hours ,  they were 2 feet better than me.  However, they did meet Bono at 2PM so ....

E Stage and front row is where everyone goes first (probably 50/50).  Most RZ folks seemed to go to GA area and not RZ.

So RZ is not about what time you get there but how many GA's get in before you.

But GAs can't get to rail at Red Zone, only Red Zoners can. I meant, getting on rail at main stage in the Red Zone.

Edited by laurabw

I saw the concert on September 5 and it was perfect! We arrived one hour before the gates opened and it was easy to get close to the barricade. The viewing screen is optimal but when they go on e stage becomes difficult to see them, then you can choose to go out and go to that area or remain in position and wait come back very close to the main Stage. The only gadget is a souvenir ticket. Overall it was a positive experience. ps. I was lucky enough to win the tour backstage !! Emma is very nice as well as the crew! I already miss ....

We were in RZ on 4th September. More people in Rz, like us were disappointed. Not really adjacent area; we were near main stage and barricade but more behind us no, area too lateral.  When band was at 'e stage' or railway we didn't seen nothing,also screen not really good during some songs. Some were waiting for amenities and refreshment, waiting for backstage extraction but it was made before the 18:30 as written. Rz is good for fast check in, barricades nearness if you arrive before concert start, souvenir ticket and RED donation. 

I suggest to U2 to modify this area for next dates or future tour.

Edited by dublin77

Hi, 

I have 2 RZ tickets to BCN and Im going with my 7 months pregnant wife. I bought red zone tickets coz I read there were some sits where you could sit down. Is it true? Im not worried about watching the band close to the stage but for my wife having some space to "breathe" and sit down even if it is in the farest place to the stage. I'd really appreciate if you can help me with this. 

Thanx in advance guys. 

And, how was it determined which side you were on? If I want to be on Adam's size in the red zone, can I choose?

They sold them as RZ1 or RZ2, not sure which is which, though...

I had RZ1 in Chicago and was on Adam's side.

Hi, 

I have 2 RZ tickets to BCN and Im going with my 7 months pregnant wife. I bought red zone tickets coz I read there were some sits where you could sit down. Is it true? Im not worried about watching the band close to the stage but for my wife having some space to "breathe" and sit down even if it is in the farest place to the stage. I'd really appreciate if you can help me with this. 

Thanx in advance guys. 

I didn't see sit in Turin, but there's enough space to breathe. You can also move, come and go easily. 

There are no seats, you could try to sit on little spaces in the barrier, but that's not ideal, only maybe for few minutes to rest.

You could contact the venue or Emma the red zone coordinator, She's very helpful and might arrange something for you.

Interesting. I've had nothing but great RZ experiences during the American shows (2 times at MSG) because you could move around the whole GA floor and then back to the MainStage RZ when it got too crowded or I wanted to go back closer to the MainStage. I've done seats and GA as well for this show. GA has been great, the only advantage to RZ was not having to cue. Although in good weather, that can be a great part of the whole fan experience IMHO.

Question though for Dublin folks familiar with 3arena: I have "Music Generation" zone tickets for 2 shows, GA for one and seats for one. The setup looks very different though. The Music Generation area is where the E stage usually is (at the end of the catwalk) but the E stage appears to be in the middle of the GA area.

I know I'll have a great time regardless, but am curious about other European fans. Were you able to leave the RedZone and come back. Anyone know if there are different rules applicable to "Music Generation" than RZ? Emma was AWESOME in NY but I don't know if she'll be doing the same bit in Dublin. Any insight appreciated.

Edited by allad1nsane00

I'm sure the music generation will have exactly the same rules as RZ. They've just given it another name because the charity money is going to an Irish chariity instead of Red.

I've got GA for the final night in Dublin, think that will be an amazing night :)

I have red zone for the first night in London. Looking forward to it. Think I'm still going to queue out early though as I'd like to get a good space in the RZ and also to chat to other fans. So when you get into the arena initially with RZ you can go straight into the regular GA if you want? I've been hearing different things about what times RZ got in at on the US leg, some nights it seems RZ got in just before the GA line? Might not be the same here in Europe though.

After some variation, eventually things settled down in the US such that RZ was let in just after regular GA--so, if desired, you could go into regular GA and still get a great spot.  I'm not positive, but I believe this has been the practice in the fall Europe leg as well.

Sign in to follow this