Sign in to follow this  
ulla_j

Red Zone experiences?

When they did send out the new lay out for the red zone, did you get the opportunity to cancel the tickets for a refund?

Because this new lay out is just bad. Don't care about the screens, you pay to be close to the band. 

RZ1 = Adam

RZ2 = Edge

yay! I'm on Edge's side for MSG in July!I was wondering,how easy is it to move around freely in the RZ, if at all? Jill,it seems as though you were able to move around from one end of the rail by the main stage to further down along the catwalk and the e-stage. Thanks!

I'm on Edge's side too for 7/31, so excited, even though it sounds like it won't be exactly what I was expecting, but I'll still be close so that's great.

this new lay out is just bad. Don't care about the screens, you pay to be close to the band. 

Are you missing that 50% of the main stage rail is RZ? At least based on the chart they sent out.

Edited by jeffwalsh

Sorry i know many had questions but I'm not one to get into dissecting a concert. It totally takes the fun out of it for me...sorry

A voice of sanity!  :)

well, we didn't want dissecting the concert itself, just the details of the Red Zone, since it's not what we thought it would be. So we're just looking for info like when she got there, was it packed, how close will we be able to get to them, that kinda thing, that's all.

this new lay out is just bad. Don't care about the screens, you pay to be close to the band. 

Are you missing that 50% of the main stage rail is RZ? At least based on the chart they sent out.

Jeff I think what have some Red Zone fans upset is they shelled out a lot of money for tickets based on a certain layout as advertised at the top of purchase. It then changed unknowingly to those who purchased them. There were some early photos posted during set-up in Vancouver that even showed the Red Zone as being along the catwalk on both sides, which was different from when they were first put on sale as well as when the notices went out to the Red Zone ticket holders, but ultimately for some reason, they nixed that catwalk idea and stuck to what was mailed out. For those unhappy about it, I think they have every right to vent their frustations.

Jeff I think what have some Red Zone fans upset is they shelled out a lot of money for tickets based on a certain layout as advertised at the top of purchase. It then changed unknowingly to those who purchased them. There were some early photos posted during set-up in Vancouver that even showed the Red Zone as being along the catwalk on both sides, which was different from when they were first put on sale as well as when the notices went out to the Red Zone ticket holders, but ultimately for some reason, they nixed that catwalk idea and stuck to what was mailed out. For those unhappy about it, I think they have every right to vent their frustations.

Hi, I am curious what kind of notices have gone out to Red Zone ticket holders?  I haven't received any notices...have I missed something?  Thanks.

Well, I have two RZ tickets for NYC, so I am an RZer...

The original Ticketmaster layout showed a vague RZ connected to an arena-length stage and no further detail. Until this past week, that was the only official notice about where Red Zone would be. If people then dissected incorrect San Jose seating charts, and rehearsal photos, and everything else to try and get further details about RZ, it seems odd to fault the band for that.

I think they were vague from the beginning because the show was still taking shape, and they wanted RZ to have the best experience. For some that means right up against the stage, but then with the visual elements, you may miss some of that (which may be why they moved RZ from the B stage (if that were ever true).

So, if it takes the band longer to sort out how to provide RZ with what the band thinks is the best value/experience of the show, then I'd rather they be flexible until the last possible minute s the show takes shape. They seemed to settle on giving us part of the stage rail and the chance to hang back more and see the spectacle, so you have options.

The truth is, if the whole front of the main stage was RZ, some RZ people would complain about missing the catwalk/visuals/Bstage. If it was the whole catwalk, people would complain that they spent more time at the main stage. If it was the B stage, people would complain. So, I do think there is a constant here, but it isn't what the band could have done to make everyone happy. I don't think that exists.

But the only two official messages were two red blobs hanging off of an arena-long catwalk, with no main stage or B-stage filled in, and then the transmission this past week. Everything in the middle was speculation and rumor.

I would think those, such as yourself, who shelled out the money for Red Zone, you would be entitled to as close as possible. Sure there are sections in the front of the stage, but the rest of the section appears to be between reserved and general admission. I am surprised though they didn't make the Red Zone the entire front sections of the main stage and a portion of the catwalk, kind of like an "L" shaped on it's side. The rest of GA could have the remainder of the catwalk and B-stage. But that's just my opinion, and opinions differ greatly. Are you going just one NYC night or taking in all of the shows?

Going to all 8 NYC shows: 2 RZ, 4 GA, 2 seats.

Edited by jeffwalsh

I heard, on the grapevine, that you could leave RZ for GA, & return at any time.

well, we didn't want dissecting the concert itself, just the details of the Red Zone, since it's not what we thought it would be. So we're just looking for info like when she got there, was it packed, how close will we be able to get to them, that kinda thing, that's all.

They utilize the entire stage Bono ventures to the e a lot. The band moves from their ad spots to the middle & end - e stage. no matter the side, if you're on the floor, GA or Red, there will be entire songs you wont see the band. Many always covet the front rail, this tour in a way destroys that. They work the entire arena. I actually think the seats may have the best view this time around. That said I loved being up close & respected that I'd have to share the band with the entire audience.

They don't interact with RED zone, Bono only really does that with GA at the E stage. Though he did recognize the we got your back kid who was at the I catwalk & pulled him up which was awesome. I love that he recognizes fans. I do swear i caught he & Adam definitely looking right at me on a number of occasions. I was at front rail. Check my Twitter & Instagram for photos, links in profile. I'll also post more, here also, when I get home & get the good stuff off my camera.

thanks for the info.

That's what I was wondering......can you leave RZ for general GA at any time and come back to RZ?

I think you can yes. We were able to on the last tour

@theeedge

So how did it go? Could you go to GA or couldnt get out of RZ?

You'll find him on Twitter, same name

Any other Red Zoners who went already who want to weigh in with their experiences? I think we're all pretty much looking for the same info: when did you get there, was there a lot of people in front of you already when you arrived, was it really 50 in each side like they first said, were you able to move around in the section at ease or was it packed, did everyone shift their spots around as the band went back and forth from e stage to main stage, that kinda thing.....thanks in advance!

Any other Red Zoners who went already who want to weigh in with their experiences? I think we're all pretty much looking for the same info: when did you get there, was there a lot of people in front of you already when you arrived, was it really 50 in each side like they first said, were you able to move around in the section at ease or was it packed, did everyone shift their spots around as the band went back and forth from e stage to main stage, that kinda thing.....thanks in advance!

...and I'm a bit confused regarding the actual location. If I'm understanding correctly, RZ isn't right up against the main stage, doesn't run the entire length of the catwalk, and doesn't include any area around the e-stage. Is this correct? If so I'm kinda bummed. Sounds like it might be cramped and you can't really have the freedom of where to go. Thanks to anyone who could shed a little more light on the situation!

I would think those, such as yourself, who shelled out the money for Red Zone, you would be entitled to as close as possible. Sure there are sections in the front of the stage, but the rest of the section appears to be between reserved and general admission. I am surprised though they didn't make the Red Zone the entire front sections of the main stage and a portion of the catwalk, kind of like an "L" shaped on it's side. The rest of GA could have the remainder of the catwalk and B-stage. But that's just my opinion, and opinions differ greatly. Are you going just one NYC night or taking in all of the shows?

I'm not surprised, nor do I think RZ should have any monopoly on the front rail--but of course, that's just my opinion as well.  RZ for the 360 tour had no front rail contact at all--it was only around the outer sides of the ellipse catwalk.  So IMHO, current RZers should count themselves as lucky.  Plus, don't forget (although this is not advertised), RZ can go into regular GA (and come back) if they want, and usually RZ is let in around the same time as regular GA--so RZers have a great shot at basically anywhere they want to be.

...and I'm a bit confused regarding the actual location. If I'm understanding correctly, RZ isn't right up against the main stage, doesn't run the entire length of the catwalk, and doesn't include any area around the e-stage. Is this correct? If so I'm kinda bummed. Sounds like it might be cramped and you can't really have the freedom of where to go. Thanks to anyone who could shed a little more light on the situation!

No, that's not correct in one crucial respect.  RZ IS right up against the outer sides of the front rails of the main stage, as well as going back along the outer sides of regular GA.  Plus, RZ can leave and enter regular GA (and come back)--see last post.

I'm not surprised, nor do I think RZ should have any monopoly on the front rail--but of course, that's just my opinion as well.  RZ for the 360 tour had no front rail contact at all--it was only around the outer sides of the ellipse catwalk.  So IMHO, current RZers should count themselves as lucky.  Plus, don't forget (although this is not advertised), RZ can go into regular GA (and come back) if they want, and usually RZ is let in around the same time as regular GA--so RZers have a great shot at basically anywhere they want to be.

Well if we really can go wherever we want, that's fine, but even though I've paid a lot more to be in RZ than the GA have paid, I personally would still be uncomfortable "taking" a spot at the rail in the GA section from someone who might have been on line outside for a day or even more.

I would love to hear from RZers on Laura's (and many others') questions as well!  This is basic info that will really help future RZers (like me!) plan their shows.

Well if we really can go wherever we want, that's fine, but even though I've paid a lot more to be in RZ than the GA have paid, I personally would still be uncomfortable "taking" a spot at the rail in the GA section from someone who might have been on line outside for a day or even more.

I see where you're coming from.  One thing that might help on the guilt front is that (slight modification of what I said above) previously (on the 360 tour), they started letting regular GA in shortly before RZ was let in--so regular GAers still got very first crack at the front rail.  On the 360 tour, the one time I had RZ, I immediately went in the ellipse (w/regular GA) and there were maybe 50-100 regular GA already there. 

Bottom line, at least on the 360 tour, I think the band did a great job with making the RZs special, but without taking away most of the super-prime spots from regular GA.  If (like K5Jon suggested, I think) they had essentially made RZ flat-out "super-GA", this would have put regular GAers out of business for the best spots.  So in my opinion, a mix (like now) is good, which also preserves the ability of determined (i.e., long-waiting-in-line) GAers to get prime spots at affordable prices.

Edited by mike7man

Going to all 8 NYC shows: 2 RZ, 4 GA, 2 seats.

Wow now that's dedication. ;-)

I see where you're coming from.  One thing that might help on the guilt front is that (slight modification of what I said above) previously (on the 360 tour), they started letting regular GA in shortly before RZ was let in--so regular GAers still got very first crack at the front rail.  On the 360 tour, the one time I had RZ, I immediately went in the ellipse and there were maybe 50-100 regular GA already there. 

Bottom line, at least on the 360 tour, I think the band did a great job with making the RZs special, but without taking away most of the super-prime spots from regular GA.  If (like K5Jon suggested, I think) they had essentially made RZ flat-out "super-GA", this would have put regular GAers out of business for the best spots.  So in my opinion, a mix (like now) is good, which also preserves the ability of determined (i.e., long-waiting-in-line) GAers to get prime spots at affordable prices.

I can understand and respect the need for balance with regards to RZ and GA, if it were me though what I would have done is made the front portion of the stage from between Bono/Adam and Bono/Edge inward to the catwalk Red Zone and then a portion of the catwalk Red Zone from up front to about 1/4th of the way down.Basically an upside down "L" with the right sides of the front of the stage and the rest of the catwalk and B-Stage for GA. That still gives the RZ folks a feeling that they got their monies worth and be up close, and being along a portion of the catwalk but standard GA could be up close as well but on the far right and left side of the front stage, remainder of catwalk and the entire B-stage. Again, just my two cents.

Edited by K5Jon

Sign in to follow this